Why does Arthur keep punching his damn horse???

Jackthestripper

Not sure why he does this...a lot of times I simply just dismount my horse, and he punches him.  I don't get it...it's not like I open the weapon wheel and choose the fist, I just dismount and he decides to lay a right cross on my horse, who I've incidentally named 'DUMMY'.  Glitch? Nah, this is R* we're talking about! 🙄 Seriously, if anyone knows what I might be doing, feel free to let me know! Anyone else have this problem? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Poggy said:

Weird???  I've never had Arthur punch his horse whilst dismounting.  First I've come across it. 

It's happened around 10 times in the last couple of days.  Happened when I was recovering Chick's Money.  Killed me that time.  In this video I had already dismounted, but all I did was click L3 to stand up, and boom! 

Edited by Jackthestripper

People have punched because of mis-pressed buttons. If you are sure it's not that, maybe check your controller, it may have a ghost input? I randomly had a left bumper issue in FarCry4 due to a temporary stickiness issue with my controller button.

16 minutes ago, Dubya75 said:

You are clearly mashing the wrong controls. Nothing more to it.

I've punched my horse ONCE and I know it was because I pressed the wrong button.

I'm not 'button mashing'...I am hitting one wrong button, there's a difference. In any case, I just stood by my horse and tried all the buttons. It's the circle button.  What I'd like to know is why when I open my weapon wheel and choose the fist, I can't punch, but it works hitting the circle button standing beside my horse. 

1 minute ago, Jackthestripper said:

What I'd like to know is why when I open my weapon wheel and choose the fist, I can't punch, but it works hitting the circle button standing beside my horse. 

I think the weapon wheel fists is meant simply to disarm yourself. If you select fists via the weapon wheel, to my knowledge, R2 doesn't enable you to punch, that is strictly circle. Your circle button may need to be cleaned as it triggers periodically while pressing triangle to dismount.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moosh89 said:

I think the weapon wheel fists is meant simply to disarm yourself. If you select fists via the weapon wheel, to my knowledge, R2 doesn't enable you to punch, that is strictly circle. Your circle button may need to be cleaned as it triggers periodically while pressing triangle to dismount.

Good points.   I only seem to be able to punch when confronted to do so as in a brawl or something. My PS4 is only a week old so I don't think the buttons are dirty.  Just have to stay away from that circle button when I'm near my horse I guess lol 

• Like 1

I did this once to another horse and it was totally my fault.  .....I realized I pressed "O" by accident.  Funny as hell though.

IIRC, you can throw punches anytime there is not a weapon at the ready in your hands.  ....otherwise "O" is for reloading as you know.  You can basically walk up to someone, press "O" and you will throw a punch.  For rodents, people on the ground, etc., it will show you will stomping them when you press that button.  While on horseback, "O" will show you kicking sideways.  .....to fend off predators or other riders alongside you I suppose.  I never used it in any of those situations yet.

7 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

I did this once to another horse and it was totally my fault.  .....I realized I pressed "O" by accident.  Funny as hell though.

IIRC, you can throw punches anytime there is not a weapon at the ready in your hands.  ....otherwise "O" is for reloading as you know.  You can basically walk up to someone, press "O" and you will throw a punch.  For rodents, people on the ground, etc., it will show you will stomping them when you press that button.  While on horseback, "O" will show you kicking sideways.  .....to fend off predators or other riders alongside you I suppose.  I never used it in any of those situations yet.

LOL once I finally figured out that pressing 'O' was the problem, I started investigating... and now that I look back and watch the video, it seems like the horse is actually kicking sideways somewhat. In any case, I also found that riding my horse and hitting the O button came in handy if you ride by an NPC you can kick them LOL and you are correct, I got into a fist fight and ended up stomping on them with the O button. Not gonna lie... That button is becoming one of my favorites now hahaha and while my wife was playing tonight, I told her to hit the O button while she was standing beside her horse... She was not overly impressed, but damn it was funny!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DylBandit said:

All seriousness aside, that horse kick is so funny. Now, all jokes aside, I have never punched or had my horse kick me yet, and I completed the entire game, so I definitely spent time on the game. 

Brb, I'm going to try this. Wish me luck haha. 

Imao.... go ahead, you'll get a real 'kick' out of it! Bazingaaaa! 

• 2 years later...

I'm obviously coming into this discussion a bit late, but it needs to be said that this is NOT just happening because of mis-pressed buttons. You can strike your horse by just tapping Y. You'll even do it several times in a row if you're quick enough, and if you're behind your horse you'll slap its ass instead of punch it. After a moment or two, you'll come out of horse-beating mode and things will be normal again. I just can't for the life of me figure out how I get into that mode in the first place.