What is the actual penalty for people griefing?

DiamondDave

AFAIK, right now there is no actual penalty.  After being killed by someone several times (I forget the number, its like 3 or 5 times) you can parlay with them, and that makes it so they can't attack you for a while (10 minutes from what I hear).  I haven't had to use the system yet myself, haven't been killed more than once or twice by any one griefer.

Rockstar just announced today some anti-griefing measures they expect to release soon, which include making the griefer's blip on the map stand out from farther away (once they make blips proximity-based, not map-wide), a bounty system that sends bounty hunters after them, and 1-2 other things, forget what right now.  But none of them really sound like they'll stop griefing altogether, just discourage some of the griefers (probably only like 1% of them will think whatever get's put in place is not worth the effort).

^^^^  What Krow said....

Here are the latest details in the update from R* as to what some of those anti-griefing measures will include:

• Law and Bounty Upgrades: Some changes are coming to the way the Law and Bounty systems work in Red Dead Online to reduce the enticements for griefing. Soon, players will get a bounty for committing crimes and will be incentivized to pay them off within an allotted time. Wait too long and bounty hunters from each of the states will track the player forcing them to either pay up or escape.
  • Parley Changes: We’re making the Parley system easier to trigger so that you can avoid aggressive players more quickly. In addition, it will be easier to trigger Feuds, Posse Feuds and Leader Feuds to take on attacking players in structured competition. 
  • Proximity-Based Player Blips: Player location blips will soon appear only over short distances, reducing the range at which you are visible to others, decreasing the likelihood of being targeted by another player across large areas. Down the line, we’re also looking to introduce the ability to identify players who grief and kill indiscriminately with a progressively darkening blip that becomes more visible and at a longer range, so everyone in a session can identify potentially dangerous opponents at a glance and from a safe distance.

• Thanks 1

Easy there is none. The only one getting a penalty is you, when you shot the griefer and get a negative morality bumb.

But don`t worry in a couple of month R* will bring in a bounty system, ofc if you end up killing the bad guy alot, i suspect you will end up with the bounty on you`r head instead lol.

Nothing happen. The only reason why there are option to report them as griefers is rockstar want to list down which player is griefers. The list maybe not very useful for now, but for future reference. 

Like in gta online, you can grinding in public solo session. Once you decide to sell, rockstar will pick someone from the list & send to your session to deal will your cargo.

The only thing that we think it might destroy them (report grief), is actually make them stronger. 

When we got in trouble by trolls ore griefers, we just report them with all of us. And with in some minutes they are gone from server. How i don't now i guess disqenection because of this, we have put in a big hunt on someone who had killt 1 off us for no reason. Afhter we killt him allot we get a diqenection with whole of the posse (4man). Yesterday night there whas a rooftop glitcher (rank 17) pfff ,killing everyeone in town. So we all reported him for cheating and put in the comment rooftop glitcher. In minutes he whas gone in the server. So i think that report helps. Not fun when your mates loss there stuff because the get killt close to the butcher. my opinion weekends are just bad in rdr i think to mutch kids ore totally life lose moroons in the game, alot off idiots have got the game with christmass and only whant to grief ore troll normal players. I blame R* for this situation they fix nothing about this while this is the biggest problem, putting in a gamemode like fortnite in it and selling goldbars. Bravo R* 

14 hours ago, john013 said:

When we got in trouble by trolls ore griefers, we just report them with all of us. And with in some minutes they are gone from server. How i don't now i guess disqenection because of this, we have put in a big hunt on someone who had killt 1 off us for no reason. Afhter we killt him allot we get a diqenection with whole of the posse (4man). Yesterday night there whas a rooftop glitcher (rank 17) pfff ,killing everyeone in town. So we all reported him for cheating and put in the comment rooftop glitcher. In minutes he whas gone in the server. So i think that report helps. Not fun when your mates loss there stuff because the get killt close to the butcher. my opinion weekends are just bad in rdr i think to mutch kids ore totally life lose moroons in the game, alot off idiots have got the game with christmass and only whant to grief ore troll normal players. I blame R* for this situation they fix nothing about this while this is the biggest problem, putting in a gamemode like fortnite in it and selling goldbars. Bravo R* 

If you are talking about the kill-exploit on the rooftop in St Denis, this isnt cheating neither is it glitching. Its simply kill exploiting and i dont know why it should be reported. If he wants to gain xp fast without doing PVP, while killing dozens of police men, then let him do. It isnt bothering you in any way, if he's not killing you ,.

44 minutes ago, Hypnoskully said:

If you are talking about the kill-exploit on the rooftop in St Denis, this isnt cheating neither is it glitching. Its simply kill exploiting and i dont know why it should be reported. If he wants to gain xp fast without doing PVP, while killing dozens of police men, then let him do. It isnt bothering you in any way, if he's not killing you ,.

Yes because roofhuggers never shoot people trying to sell there hard earned skins at the butcher.

It`s cheap and i find that folks doing that are more likely to use glitches, exploids and just allround griefing.

Edited by Lucky Luke

10 minutes ago, Lucky Luke said:

Yes because roofhuggers never shoot people trying to sell there hard earned skins at the butcher.

It`s cheap and i find that folks doing that are more likely to use glitches, exploids and just allround griefing.

That's not what he was saying at all.  As for exploits, his point is that you don't need to use exploits to do what was described. The roofs are accessible to everyone.

He was not excusing griefing, just the opposite. 

If you know of someone using a glitch / exploit, then report them. If someone is griefing you, then report them.  ....and block them.

I think they haven't established anything yet but as mentioned, they should be in the near future. I don't understand the point of the parlay system they have set up. The time they let you be free from being attacked by one person is more than enough time for their friends to kill you 3 times each and then the first guy to just do it again. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hazed0NE said:

I think they haven't established anything yet but as mentioned, they should be in the near future. I don't understand the point of the parlay system they have set up. The time they let you be free from being attacked by one person is more than enough time for their friends to kill you 3 times each and then the first guy to just do it again. 

Agreed.....  I don't like the parley system but it should at least be applied to the whole posse or why don't they just make it that the player can't be killed by anyone in the session and vice versa for those 10 minutes?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

That's not what he was saying at all.  As for exploits, his point is that you don't need to use exploits to do what was described. The roofs are accessible to everyone.

He was not excusing griefing, just the opposite. 

If you know of someone using a glitch / exploit, then report them. If someone is griefing you, then report them.  ....and block them.

If you read what i said before spewing this nonsens out, you would know i wasent acusing him of anything, i simply stated that players who does cheap things like sitting on a roof blasting away, will use more cheat and expoits.

oh he even call it kill- exploits.

Edited by Lucky Luke

9 hours ago, Hypnoskully said:

No i don't mean the rooftop easy xp on off Saint Denis. It was in Strawberry and for sure he was glitching from 1 side to the other side on that rooftop. He gets invinseble by doing that so you can't shoot him properly . I call that BS .

1 hour ago, john013 said:

No i don't mean the rooftop easy xp on off Saint Denis. It was in Strawberry and for sure he was glitching from 1 side to the other side on that rooftop. He gets invinseble by doing that so you can't shoot him properly . I call that BS .

Who on earth would want to shoot up Strawberry? The friendliest place in all of RDO haha. 

6 hours ago, Lucky Luke said:

If you read what i said before spewing this nonsens out, you would know i wasent acusing him of anything, i simply stated that players who does cheap things like sitting on a roof blasting away, will use more cheat and expoits.

oh he even call it kill- exploits.

Nonsense?

You were suggesting folks on roofs were "glitching" which they are not but you chose to ignore the point and get into the semantics of the term exploit.  

An "exploit" or even a "glitch" is a flaw in the game's mechanics, game world, programming, etc. that people take advantage of.  In this case (and the main point), the rooftops are accessible to all players by design.  There are ladders everywhere in the towns as well as the climbing mechanic that you can use.  That is not an exploit, glitch or a cheat and neither is shooting up the town from that position.  To Skully's point, if someone is shooting up NPCs from those positions to gain XP, there's nothing to report.  If however they are griefing players from those positions, then report it as disruptive behavior using the in-game feature if you so choose.  I would also suggest blocking them as I do.

As for "cheats" and real exploits, again, I would encourage you to report this kind of behavior to R* if you have proof.

I'd be happy to continue this discussion with you in a civil manner (as I have been) but not if you're going to become disrespectful.  Seems a select few of you have been projecting your frustrations with the game / R* on fellow community members.  You need to remember that this is a fan site, not a R* forum.

Here is a suggestion to add to r* suggestion box,

If a griever shoots 4 random players out of mission then that griever losses all other dots on map plus his dot is red for x amount of time. That penalty is tied to griever to in game time so there is no escape.  Problem solved IMHO

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Nonsense?

You were suggesting folks on roofs were "glitching" which they are not but you chose to ignore the point and get into the semantics of the term exploit.  

An "exploit" or even a "glitch" is a flaw in the game's mechanics, game world, programming, etc. that people take advantage of.  In this case (and the main point), the rooftops are accessible to all players by design.  There are ladders everywhere in the towns as well as the climbing mechanic that you can use.  That is not an exploit, glitch or a cheat and neither is shooting up the town from that position.  To Skully's point, if someone is shooting up NPCs from those positions to gain XP, there's nothing to report.  If however they are griefing players from those positions, then report it as disruptive behavior using the in-game feature if you so choose.  I would also suggest blocking them as I do.

As for "cheats" and real exploits, again, I would encourage you to report this kind of behavior to R* if you have proof.

I'd be happy to continue this discussion with you in a civil manner (as I have been) but not if you're going to become disrespectful.  Seems a select few of you have been projecting your frustrations with the game / R* on fellow community members.  You need to remember that this is a fan site, not a R* forum.

Once again i never said folks on roofs were glitching, i said they are more likely to use exploits(atleast in my expirence). 

I have always been polite and helpfull on here(expept when the gold released to had to defend R*) and as a higher lvl player i get my jolly by helping low lvl players do missions, clear the way of griefers, and giving tips via xbox mess when people ask.

Would i like more content asap, you bet i would. Have i posted about that here and to R*, again yes. I have done this in a polite and constructive manner.

so for you to call me out like this, implaying im disrespectful and taking my frustrations out on my fellow members is not ok at all.

1 hour ago, Lucky Luke said:

Once again i never said folks on roofs were glitching, i said they are more likely to use exploits(atleast in my expirence). 

...so for you to call me out like this, implaying im disrespectful and taking my frustrations out on my fellow members is not ok at all.

I'm not the one who was saying you were "spewing nonsense" now was I. I've been quite civil about it.

We're done. Let it go.

11 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

I'm not the one who was saying you were "spewing nonsense" now was I. I've been quite civil about it.

We're done. Let it go.

Once again you completely ignore what i write, and you do not get to try and take the high road after the way you have behaved.

But you are right were done, i don`t see a reason to stay part of this community with a moderater so hostile. I can`t find the delete acc any were,so if you could do it or tell me how, i think we would all be happy.

To the rest ty for some great debates, have fun out there.

5 minutes ago, Lucky Luke said:

Once again you completely ignore what i write, and you do not get to try and take the high road after the way you have behaved.

But you are right were done, i don`t see a reason to stay part of this community with a moderater so hostile. I can`t find the delete acc any were,so if you could do it or tell me how, i think we would all be happy.

To the rest ty for some great debates, have fun out there.

This has nothing to do with me being a moderator or a reflection on RDR2.org.  My replies to you have been from one community member to another simply asking you to show the same level of respect I have shown you here.  I would have replied the same if I weren't a mod.  The only difference then would be that I would have simply added you to my ignore list.

Again, I wasn't the one making the "spewing nonsense" remark about you had to say so if that's taking the high road because I don't, then so be it.

Good luck Luke.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 12:16 AM, Kean_1 said:

Agreed.....  I don't like the parley system but it should at least be applied to the whole posse or why don't they just make it that the player can't be killed by anyone in the session and vice versa for those 10 minutes?

agreed people were fighting us on the hills eventually someone parleyed with me so I couldn't even attack them yet they were able to attack my posse members, felt like it was a huge mistake and disadvantage. instead of Parleying a player make it the Posse or the favorite passive mode where they can attack other players either.

• Like 1

The way I look at is this... You have people who will play the game respectfully and those who will take advantage of things like the parlay system. I see more people abusing it than anything else. Some don't know understand how it works or what the point is. They are not clear enough on a lot of things in the game and someone should address this stuff on their site.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CrabApples said:

The way I look at is this... You have people who will play the game respectfully and those who will take advantage of things like the parlay system. I see more people abusing it than anything else. Some don't know understand how it works or what the point is. They are not clear enough on a lot of things in the game and someone should address this stuff on their site.

I had a player shoot me in the back when I was trying to open a treasure map yesterday. When I re spawned, I found him (cause you know he ran of course). He parlayed me seconds later. I was feeling petty and irritated , so he parleyed me a second time than left the server. Always find it funny when a wannabe troll parleys me. It is humorous that a guy who was trying to start something now wants to throw in the towel. 

2 hours ago, Savage_Reaper said:

I had a player shoot me in the back when I was trying to open a treasure map yesterday. When I re spawned, I found him (cause you know he ran of course). He parlayed me seconds later. I was feeling petty and irritated , so he parleyed me a second time than left the server. Always find it funny when a wannabe troll parleys me. It is humorous that a guy who was trying to start something now wants to throw in the towel. 

That is part of the issue with the griefers.  If you can't stop them, they won't stop.  If you can they run and cry foul.

2 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

That is part of the issue with the griefers.  If you can't stop them, they won't stop.  If you can they run and cry foul.

Most are garbage . You should have seen his pink dot move away from the scene of the crime. 90% of the people that grief me are not "gunslingers", they are just morons trying to catch you slipping. Which is why I don't view them as a threat. I always like it when you destroy one of these clowns and he starts calling in back up. I just clean my gun and smile. 

But I wasn't the greatest starting out. I got shot a lot in the beginning. But I realized I had a choice to make. I had to either "Adapt or Perish". I am fine with that . I am not asking for an easy button. 

4 minutes ago, Savage_Reaper said:

Most are garbage . You should have seen his pink dot move away from the scene of the crime. 90% of the people that grief me are not "gunslingers", they are just morons trying to catch you slipping. Which is why I don't view them as a threat. I always like it when you destroy one of these clowns and he starts calling in back up. I just clean my gun and smile. 

But I wasn't the greatest starting out. I got shot a lot in the beginning. But I realized I had a choice to make. I had to either "Adapt or Perish". I am fine with that . I am not asking for an easy button. 

Funny story, a guy I had played with a week or so ago invited me to his game and sent me message that he was being griefed and needed back up.  So I joined. 

Now according to him, he was farming and a couple of players showed up and killed him.  He came back and killed one of them and the other bolted.  He chased this player back to Blackwater.  Where this griefer rejoined with his posse, who by the way was 14 players that was supergrouping.  They unloaded on him and kept unloading on him.  I sends me a message and here I come to save the day.  OOPs!  That ain't happening.  We killed one or two here or there, but took way bigger ass-whooping then we dished out.  So he gave up and we changed servers, it was a disaster.  

10 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Funny story, a guy I had played with a week or so ago invited me to his game and sent me message that he was being griefed and needed back up.  So I joined. 

Now according to him, he was farming and a couple of players showed up and killed him.  He came back and killed one of them and the other bolted.  He chased this player back to Blackwater.  Where this griefer rejoined with his posse, who by the way was 14 players that was supergrouping.  They unloaded on him and kept unloading on him.  I sends me a message and here I come to save the day.  OOPs!  That ain't happening.  We killed one or two here or there, but took way bigger ass-whooping then we dished out.  So he gave up and we changed servers, it was a disaster.  

I know there are the exceptions. My posse willing took an invite from a griefer to another server only to be faced with fighting the whole server. Nothing like spawning in to just a massive conglomerate of players. Craziness. But I loved every minute of it. We knew it was a setup but came in hot and took over the server. After they fled, we started running missions on their server. Lol. 

I roll pretty deep, but I do see members of large groups starting some nonsense they can't finish. Then they run to Daddy Posse Leader to bring in the reserves. Pathetic. These losers can't take an "L". It breaks their little brains.  

Edited by Savage_Reaper

11 minutes ago, Savage_Reaper said:

I know there are the exceptions. My posse willing took an invite from a griefer to another server only to be faced with fighting the whole server. Nothing like spawning in to just a massive conglomerate of players. Craziness. But I loved every minute of it. We knew it was a setup but came in hot and took over the server. After they fled, we started running missions on their server. Lol. 

I roll pretty deep, but I do see members of large groups starting some nonsense they can't finish. Then they run to Daddy Posse Leader to bring in the reserves. Pathetic. These losers can't take an "L". It breaks their little brains.  

I like the fighting back and them running.  I haven't seen super grouping happen often in RDO, but have on other games and know that a lot of clans bank on that for their PvP and it has started to happen a little more often here.  They have a few go out and start sh*t and then call in the Cavalry to protect themselves.  Then you hear them say that the pelts don't matter, well you taking the beatdown you deserved does.

12 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

I like the fighting back and them running.  I haven't seen super grouping happen often in RDO, but have on other games and know that a lot of clans bank on that for their PvP and it has started to happen a little more often here.  They have a few go out and start sh*t and then call in the Cavalry to protect themselves.  Then you hear them say that the pelts don't matter, well you taking the beatdown you deserved does.

We are seeing the big groups more and more.  A lot are off of Discord I'm guessing. They send their little scouts to servers to survey  stuff or pick fights. Next you hear some clown saying in chat , " This is our town!! Get out or get owned!" or they call Posse's out by name. I don't mind the PVP and with these clowns focused on us, other players don't have to deal with them. They can go about their business in peace. 

Edited by Savage_Reaper
  • Haha 1