Would you rather be too hot or too cold?

redscrew

In terms of body temp and overall comfort, would you rather deal with the heat or the cold?

I am one of those people who would rather be cold than hot. I can warm up easy and cool down fast if I get too warm but if I am in hot weather, it takes me forever to cool off and I end up getting sick to my stomach.

I’m originally from Chicago, so I used to think I’m good with being too cold or too hot. Then I went to Iraq one summer. 130 degrees. So I hear you about being cold rather than hot. BUT...then I spent a winter in the mountains in Afghanistan. I have never been so cold in  my life. So now I pick hot over cold any day.

Edited by The Coca-Cola Kid

I'm in Detroit, with the wind chill it's -38 right now, so I'd rather be hot, like hell hot in truth.  I deal with heat quite well, once it get's up into the 110's though that's a tad insane.  I can deal with it from say, 20-105.  So saying too hot or too cold is a hard one since that's kinda opposing ends of the spectrum. *shrugs*

The answer is cold.

When it's cold, there's more options to warm up, but when you're in extreme heat, your options are limited.

When it's cold, you can go indoors, build a fire, start moving around to generate body heat.

When it's hot, you need either water or AC.  Those are literally your only options.  Stripping down just gets your jibbly bits sunburned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Too cold. I'm used to the cold weather because my auntie and uncle live in Iceland. And me and the family visit them every year. Temperatures over there during winter can range from - 10° - 0° degrees fahrenheit in the highlands.

Can't stand it when It's too hot. I don't mind the heat when it's like 30° - 45° degrees fahrenheit. But once it gets to the 60s, 70s, and 80s etc. I'll have my own personal Niagara falls dripping down my forehead.

Edited by Freddie Mercury
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Syrens said:

I'm in Detroit, with the wind chill it's -38 right now, so I'd rather be hot, like hell hot in truth.  I deal with heat quite well, once it get's up into the 110's though that's a tad insane.  I can deal with it from say, 20-105.  So saying too hot or too cold is a hard one since that's kinda opposing ends of the spectrum. *shrugs*

I am on the East coast as well and holy hell... I had to go out to work earlier and with the wind chill and the sun out, it was still -25 out!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HIGHHorse said:

I am on the East coast as well and holy hell... I had to go out to work earlier and with the wind chill and the sun out, it was still -25 out!

Yeah it's getting insane, it's -10F and -35F out with the wind right now.  I've literally just had the heat turned up to 11 for what seems like weeks now lmao.

I'm going with team cold... I live in West Michigan, but I am originally from Canada, moved here in 2016. Mind you Michigan is competitive with areas of Canada when it comes to Winter. I remember times in Canada when it was so cold I couldn't open my car door LOL I love the summer, but when it gets to be 90 degrees and 100 degrees outside, especially with humidity... There's only so many clothes you can take off before the cops come LOL I get high anxiety if I get too hot or  thirsty.  When it's super hot outside in the summer I usually have a cooler with a dozen bottles of water in the trunk. We've had a foot of snow over the last two days and it hasn't stopped yet, and I'm out there going for a walk enjoying the cold as it reminds me of home LOL

that's an easy one.  Cold.  you can always layer up and get warm. 

One of my favorite winter activities growin up was hiking into the mountains and building a snow cave to camp in.  I was just talking about this with a co-worker, we have an office in Minneapolis, one of the guys there says it's so cold his neighbors are throwing water out the doorway and most of it is frozen before it hits the ground.  I remember one year we went camping in mid January.  Dug out a snow cave to sleep in and setup up camp then the next day hiked up to the summit between the peaks of the mountains we were on and found a tree that had split open from the cold spell we had then.  

Heat I can't do.  You can only remove so much to cool off.  and if it hits 95-100 F then forget it, i'm worthless.  drop my ass in front of an AC vent and leave me there ;)

Currently suffering in this "polar vortex" in Wisconsin and I'd rather be "too hot".  There's only so many layers I can put on before feeling uncomfortable.  At least in the warmer months, I can sit in a swimming pool with a margarita or something.  :D

On 1/31/2019 at 12:43 PM, Kormath said:

and if it hits 95-100 F then forget it, i'm worthless.  drop my ass in front of an AC vent and leave me there ;)

You'd be amazed what you can tolerate in a "dry heat".  It sounds like a cliche, but it's true.  

Visited baby bro in Vegas last August when it was 110+ every day, and I an honestly say, it's not bad at all.  I rather enjoyed it, actually.

22 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

You'd be amazed what you can tolerate in a "dry heat".  It sounds like a cliche, but it's true.  

Visited baby bro in Vegas last August when it was 110+ every day, and I an honestly say, it's not bad at all.  I rather enjoyed it, actually.

dry heat is much more tolerable than humid.  you hit 95+ in high humidity and it's beyond miserable, same with cold, really cold temps in high humidity goes right to the bone.  Arid areas are the best living locations, humid areas are fun to visit when the weather is right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parzival said:

Considering I can add a jacket much easier than I can remove layers of skin, I'll take cold over hot anyway. Which is kind of ironic as I prefer arid and desert environments for their general aesthetics.

that's why i live in the high mountain desert, well just above that in the mountains now lol but before i moved here i spent almost 20 years in the high mountain desert biome.

My women HOT and my beer COLD!

Well, seriously though, I tend to overheat more quickly than I get cold. I often walk around in a t shirt in winter and don't feel too cold.

Where I'm from, it is generally pretty warm and our winters are probably not too cold when compared to many other places on this planet. We do not get snow apart from on the mountain tops.

Both extremes have their benefits though so I am currently sitting on the fence on this one.

Cold I suppose its easier to warm up. 

Some of the temperatures you guys have been saying it is where you is scary. 

It was minus 4 here in the uk last week and to us that' was cold. 

Where I work indoors it was minus 7 and to be honest we all done nothing but complain we were freezing. So I take my hat off to you guys in this difficult weather situation your in. 

15 hours ago, G IR U IB said:

Cold I suppose its easier to warm up. 

Some of the temperatures you guys have been saying it is where you is scary. 

It was minus 4 here in the uk last week and to us that' was cold. 

Where I work indoors it was minus 7 and to be honest we all done nothing but complain we were freezing. So I take my hat off to you guys in this difficult weather situation your in. 

it's the snow that's made it somewat difficult here.  I like snow, it's fun to play in, but when you get 3 ft + in that many weeks, you get sick of it lol  and then to top it off there was an avalanche in the river here late last night, so now we got flooding on top of it.

But, i love the mountains, i wouldn't live anywhere else :)  And thinking back on it when i was a kid this would have been a normal winter, not an extreme winter as they say now.