Player/Posse assassinations & salt

Renascent

I've been wondering why 9 times out of 10 whenever my posse and I do player/posse assassinations, that after we kill them they are super butt hurt and end up following us around trying to kill us. Like we don't keep killing them after the mission ended, once and then we move on to another mission. People acting like it's personal or we actually chose them when it's completely random.

Kinda wondering if others have this same experience or those that have been the target and lost and how they feel about it.

I had a good experience the other day.  Got the assassination mission, turned out  to be a member of a 4 man posse, all relatively high level (80-120), I was mid 70's at the time.

The target sat tight in a ruined house, with the other posse members out as guards.  I killed 3 of them, they got me once, I then managed to pick off the target.  They got me again on the way out.

Assassination over, I went on my way, with no sort of reprisals or hard feelings from the posse, who just let me go about my business.  Full respect to those guys - its how the game should be played.

I usually send a 'no hard feelings' message through xbox messenger at the end, whether  I am the target or the assassin.

9 minutes ago, Harlock1796 said:

I had a good experience the other day.  Got the assassination mission, turned out  to be a member of a 4 man posse, all relatively high level (80-120), I was mid 70's at the time.

The target sat tight in a ruined house, with the other posse members out as guards.  I killed 3 of them, they got me once, I then managed to pick off the target.  They got me again on the way out.

Assassination over, I went on my way, with no sort of reprisals or hard feelings from the posse, who just let me go about my business.  Full respect to those guys - its how the game should be played.

I usually send a 'no hard feelings' message through xbox messenger at the end, whether  I am the target or the assassin.

Good stuff man. We need more of that. I've had that happen a few times, even riding together afterwards on occasion. One of our "victims" even became our friend. 

I think one of the problems is that some people think that you're able to pick who is the target. 

4 hours ago, Renascent said:

I've been wondering why 9 times out of 10 whenever my posse and I do player/posse assassinations, that after we kill them they are super butt hurt and end up following us around trying to kill us. Like we don't keep killing them after the mission ended, once and then we move on to another mission. People acting like it's personal or we actually chose them when it's completely random.

Kinda wondering if others have this same experience or those that have been the target and lost and how they feel about it.

I've been targeted, but I never blame the players for doing what the game tells them to do, I just curse R* for making up an idiotic system that is inevitably going to chase players away.

Because it's so fun being around level 15-20 and having people four times higher in level grouped up and just running you down like a wounded gazelle being chased by a pack of jackals.

5 hours ago, Renascent said:

In all fairness, it also goes the other way.  I've had pursuers who would not stop after I escaped or after I killed them several times while waiting for the timer to run out.  

Personally, I believe I only accepted one assassination mission that I ever set out to complete but I prefer not to do them.  As far as being the target, nearly every time I get one the player(s) are far enough away to give me plenty of time to escape.  IMO, they are annoying 1/2 the time as I'm usually in the middle of doing something else or on my way to.  ....and then I have to travel all the way back afterward.  

R* said that players who have been tagged using the new blip mechanic would be the likely target of such activities but I caught an assassination attempt while there were red dots in the same session.  Personally, I think the activity should choose those of less honorable status regardless.  ....if they can get the whole self defense thing worked out.

21 minutes ago, jnaron_ngc said:

If not in the mood, just ride away from assassin until timer is over. They rarely give it the effort.

It's funny.  I've only had one group quit.  All the rest, regardless of the distance, have pursued me.  I think to myself that they must know that there is no chance in hell that they'll catch me but they keep coming.  It is easy XP though.

1 hour ago, Kean_1 said:

In all fairness, it also goes the other way.  I've had pursuers who would not stop after I escaped or after I killed them several times while waiting for the timer to run out.  

Personally, I believe I only accepted one assassination mission that I ever set out to complete but I prefer not to do them.  As far as being the target, nearly every time I get one the player(s) are far enough away to give me plenty of time to escape.  IMO, they are annoying 1/2 the time as I'm usually in the middle of doing something else or on my way to.  ....and then I have to travel all the way back afterward.  

R* said that players who have been tagged using the new blip mechanic would be the likely target of such activities but I caught an assassination attempt while there were red dots in the same session.  Personally, I think the activity should choose those of less honorable status regardless.  ....if they can get the whole self defense thing worked out.

Oh I know it's been the other way around, I'm just talking from personal experience. I've never died to an assassination so I can't say what people do sorta. Except that they do sometimes try to kill me BECAUSE they couldn't catch me.

Or once, I've had a whole posse get mad cuz they lost (they were the targets) and then call in 5 more friends (making it 11 vs 4) to gang up on us even though we were trying to start another mission and get on with ourselves. Had to switch sessions cuz they had us boxed in. 

Yup my crew and I only go for the kill and once its done we are on our way again, no need to needlessly kill them over and over again unless of course they want to keep fighting. After a kill or 2 afterwards we will make our retreat.

We also like to find a good standpoint where we defend the target until we survive the time, or they manage to kill them. afterwards we accept either the victory and don't kill them again or we accept defeat and continue on peacefully with our business. What confuses me is the people that keep attacking after the event is over whether or not they got the kill. that part is annoying considering we didn't run and we fought with honor.

Now with all that said, we will however chase you down and i guess some would say grief a player/players if they just run away for the entire mission, i find it pathetic and annoying as hell that you made me chase you across the map. It was a mission that was given, just put up a fight or if you don't want to participate then just stand there and let us kill you and get it over with, hell even send us a message asking for a fun boxing match. Lately i have just not even bothered with the weak but nonetheless its entirely annoying that i have to wait (guessing) 12 minutes of my time because you wanted to run away.

Edited by Born Homicidal

16 minutes ago, Renascent said:

Oh I know it's been the other way around, I'm just talking from personal experience. I've never died to an assassination so I can't say what people do sorta. Except that they do sometimes try to kill me BECAUSE they couldn't catch me.

Or once, I've had a whole posse get mad cuz they lost (they were the targets) and then call in 5 more friends (making it 11 vs 4) to gang up on us even though we were trying to start another mission and get on with ourselves. Had to switch sessions cuz they had us boxed in. 

Yeah, I think the activity itself is rather toxic.  Forcing players into mission they may not have wanted, etc.  I do like the idea of players who have bounties to be targets for other players however.  ....but again, if they could iron out the problem with bounties for those who defend themselves.  

6 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Yeah, I think the activity itself is rather toxic.  Forcing players into mission they may not have wanted, etc.  I do like the idea of players who have bounties to be targets for other players however.  ....but again, if they could iron out the problem with bounties for those who defend themselves.  

I personally love a good chase. Hunt and be hunted. I go all terminator mode every time, and I find it very enjoyable. Especially if I'm in a posse and we are working together really well, beautiful.

2 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I've been targeted, but I never blame the players for doing what the game tells them to do, I just curse R* for making up an idiotic system that is inevitably going to chase players away.

Because it's so fun being around level 15-20 and having people four times higher in level grouped up and just running you down like a wounded gazelle being chased by a pack of jackals.

Now I can't say every group is like this, but maybe it isn't the killing them because the game tells you to.  It's could be the other 6 times you kill them as soon as they spawn.  Sometimes players take that at be personal.  In my experience, you kill someone and ride off, they'll have the old WTF moment trying to figure out why would you do that. 

I’ve been the target a few time now (I’m not sure why. I keep my honour way up. Perhaps outlaws just don’t like me). As much as I hate getting killed randomly for no reason, I kind of like the thrill of being the random target. Mostly, I can accept it because the other players have an actual reason to target me.

second, as I run solo 99% of the time, it’s actually quite fun to have others chase me across the map against the timed and try to get me while I move from point to point, taking kills as I see the opportunity in an effort to stay one step ahead of them.

lastly, I know it’s coming and am prepared for it. I know that suddenly every player within sniper rifle range is likely going to try to kill me and I’m in full survival mode (as opposed to walking into a quiet town only to have the guy sitting idle in the barbershop step out and headshot me from behind seconds after I mossy on by towards the butcher).

you want to call me a coward for my run and cover/cheap shot strategy when I’m fleeing an assassination attempt while running solo, well, too bad. I’ve survived more than I haven’t. I’m not going to sit still and give an easy kill to a hord of would be assassins. If you don’t want to chase me, oh well. I’ll take the easy win. But most time at least a few chase me. 

All that being said, I have yet to have anyone grief me after it was over.

16 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

Toxic is the word for it. To my surprise, when I was targeted for assassination, I was fishing. All I do in free roam is hunt and fish. My only adversarial activities in this game occur when I go into the quick online missions or when some griefer targets me. Even then, I don't fight back, so I was really at a loss as to why I was targeted. Does anyone know what triggers it?

Fortunately for me, Rockstar's unstable servers had dropped my into a private lobby at the time, so when the notice popped up, I panicked--initially. But I just stopped moving and hit L3 to take me off the map. Even so, all of a sudden I saw this character's blip coming toward me. How can he track me if I'm supposedly off the map?

It turned out well for me because I could almost hear/see the guy scratching his head as his blip walked all around and then, eventually, right on top of mine. He eventually rode off empty handed, thwarted by Rockstar's servers.

Works for me...

23 hours ago, Renascent said:

this happens to me but the opposite. i am always targeted for assassination and i never lose. the players will then keep on coming. even had abusive messages.

20 minutes ago, Netnow66 said:

Toxic is the word for it. To my surprise, when I was targeted for assassination, I was fishing. All I do in free roam is hunt and fish. My only adversarial activities in this game occur when I go into the quick online missions or when some griefer targets me. Even then, I don't fight back, so I was really at a loss as to why I was targeted. Does anyone know what triggers it?

Fortunately for me, Rockstar's unstable servers had dropped my into a private lobby at the time, so when the notice popped up, I panicked--initially. But I just stopped moving and hit L3 to take me off the map. Even so, all of a sudden I saw this character's blip coming toward me. How can he track me if I'm supposedly off the map?

It turned out well for me because I could almost hear/see the guy scratching his head as his blip walked all around and then, eventually, right on top of mine. He eventually rode off empty handed, thwarted by Rockstar's servers.

Works for me...

By following the red glow or looking on the actual map. That's what my posse leader will do is stand and direct us since we can't pinpoint you on the mini map. And I feel it's rather... unsavory all the people I see glitching off the map so they can't be hit. 

As far as why you get targeted, it's random person who's closest. Doesn't matter your honor or bounty. If it did that'd be nice, but as it isn't oh well.

Again it's not really griefing if it's a mechanic of the game. You play knowing there's free roam pvp. Not everyone likes structured pvp.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Renascent said:

By following the red glow or looking on the actual map. That's what my posse leader will do is stand and direct us since we can't pinpoint you on the mini map. And I feel it's rather... unsavory all the people I see glitching off the map so they can't be hit. 

As far as why you get targeted, it's random person who's closest. Doesn't matter your honor or bounty. If it did that'd be nice, but as it isn't oh well.

Again it's not really griefing if it's a mechanic of the game. You play knowing there's free roam pvp. Not everyone likes structured pvp.

So my squatting down doesn't make me invisible to my assassin? I didn't know that.

While I can assure you that the Rockstar servers are still unintentionally dropping people into private servers, I don't find it unsavory that some are are intentionally doing it. While I do agree assassinations are part of the game, just as spawn killing, backshooting and certain forms of griefing...well, I'll just state again, I don't find it unsavory.  

And I didn't call him a griefer. But if I hadn't been glitched, I would have jumped servers before I let him track me down. Server jumping is something that I do frequently and has accounted for my glitching on occasion.  

Edited by Netnow66
other to certain

9 minutes ago, Netnow66 said:

So my squatting down doesn't make me invisible to my assassin? I didn't know that.

While I can assure you that the Rockstar servers are still unintentionally dropping people into private servers, I don't find it unsavory that some are are intentionally doing it. While I do agree assassinations are part of the game, just as spawn killing, backshooting and other forms of griefing...well, I'll just state again, I don't find it unsavory.  

And I didn't call him a griefer. But if I hadn't been glitched, I would have jumped servers before I let him track me down. Server jumping is something that I do frequently and has accounted for my glitching on occasion.  

I find it so because people seem terrified of pixel death. You don't lose anything unless you have any pelts on your horse, I don't see the problem in the assassination itself. And I find it a good challenge, the thrill of the hunt or chase. The joys of working together with friends to overcome an adversary.

Had a posse assassination yesterday, 4 of us vs 4 of them. They stood their ground and it was great. After it was over we went about our way.

Griefing to me isn't being killed. It's being followed around and literally kept from playing the game at all. I would lump back shooting in as griefing, but more just people being cowardly.

40 minutes ago, Renascent said:

I find it so because people seem terrified of pixel death. You don't lose anything unless you have any pelts on your horse, I don't see the problem in the assassination itself. And I find it a good challenge, the thrill of the hunt or chase. The joys of working together with friends to overcome an adversary.

Had a posse assassination yesterday, 4 of us vs 4 of them. They stood their ground and it was great. After it was over we went about our way.

Griefing to me isn't being killed. It's being followed around and literally kept from playing the game at all. I would lump back shooting in as griefing, but more just people being cowardly.

You mention overcoming an adversary. What joy is there in defeating an adversary that wants nothing to do with the process? What challenge or thrill is there when your target doesn't want any part of this?

And my definition of griefing is being killed if the combat isn't mutual. Killing me impedes my progress.

In this case, I can’t call being assassinated griefing. It might be a part of the game you don’t like, but it is a part of the game that gives players a legitimate reason to be coming for you. I think if it really bothers you that much, all you can really do is stand there and let someone get the quick easy kill, or log off/jump servers. Though that does seem pretty cheap to me. Arguably even disruptive to those who went out of their way to do an in game mission only to have it disappeare on them lol.

8 minutes ago, Netnow66 said:

You mention overcoming an adversary. What joy is there in defeating an adversary that wants nothing to do with the process? What challenge or thrill is there when your target doesn't want any part of this?

And my definition of griefing is being killed if the combat isn't mutual. Killing me impedes my progress.

If they didn't want to be part of it then glitch off the map like you've mentioned or leave. Most of the time the people run or on occasion stand their ground. I meant adversary when I am the one being targeted, or when the target fights back instead of running.

Again, it's a free... "free" roam pvp game. This isn't fortnite or overwatch. If I or you wanted that kind of structured mutual pvp you would play those types of games. If all you wanted was to hunt and fish, then single player is there. 

The challenge is catching them. Knowledge of the map, controlling your horse, whatever else. The mission gives the target a headstart even.

Yeah, it does seem pretty easy for the most part to wait out the clock when you are the target. Though once one of the assassins managed to box me in and corner me... I had no choice left but to fight my way through him... I made it, only to have another one round the corner with seconds left on the clock... I dove behind cover, trading pop shots with my attacker.... clock ticks down to zero just as that lucky headshot lands on me... a tense moment as I respawned, than the message pops up success... barely.

i stand by this being a fun aspect of the game, though I can see why it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Oh well, either way you can’t really call it griefing.

22 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

In this case, I can’t call being assassinated griefing. 

Actually, I agree. And I edited my earlier post right after I posted so that there would be no confusion about me considering it griefing, at least officially, since it's built into the game. Personally, I take any unwanted killing of me as griefing. Do I report it like spawn killing and backshooting? No.

20 minutes ago, Renascent said:

If they didn't want to be part of it then glitch off the map like you've mentioned or leave. Most of the time the people run or on occasion stand their ground. I meant adversary when I am the one being targeted, or when the target fights back instead of running.

Again, it's a free... "free" roam pvp game. This isn't fortnite or overwatch. If I or you wanted that kind of structured mutual pvp you would play those types of games. If all you wanted was to hunt and fish, then single player is there. 

The challenge is catching them. Knowledge of the map, controlling your horse, whatever else. The mission gives the target a headstart even.

Not much I disagree with here. Your use of the word unsavory is what interested me because my take on it is different. Because, as you said, I would just leave if targeted or ignore the mission if it was given to me.

Edited by Netnow66

7 minutes ago, Netnow66 said:

Actually, I agree. And I edited my earlier post right after I posted so that there would be no confusion about me considering it griefing.

Not much I disagree with here. Your use of the word unsavory is what interested me because my take on it is different. Because, as you said, I would just leave if targeted or ignore the mission if it was given to me.

It was honestly my attempt at trying not to be harsh/rude. I'm not as much of an asshole as people might think. I'm just not great with wording. 🤐

5 hours ago, Renascent said:

After the update, R* announced that the assassination missions would have more of a chance of targeting players who have been involved in bad deeds.  .....red blips.

Personally, I think this is great but I honestly believe they could do even better with this mechanic if they address the self-defense issue. 

IMO, everyone would win as "red dots" are likely to welcome the challenge and white hats would probably like the chance to hunt them down with a reward as a bonus.  The only people I could see getting miffed are some griefers but for those who say they prefer the PvP element in Free Roam, I think they would see this as a challenge.  

....or make it an opt-in choice for people when they join a session.

2 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

After the update, R* announced that the assassination missions would have more of a chance of targeting players who have been involved in bad deeds.  .....red blips.

Personally, I think this is great but I honestly believe they could do even better with this mechanic if they address the self-defense issue. 

IMO, everyone would win as "red dots" are likely to welcome the challenge and white hats would probably like the chance to hunt them down with a reward as a bonus.  The only people I could see getting miffed are some griefers but for those who say they prefer the PvP element in Free Roam, I think they would see this as a challenge.  

....or make it an opt-in choice for people when they join a session.

I would like some more people who tried to fight back, and reds are those people usually. Was it with this update today or upcoming? If today I'll see if it works like intended.

7 minutes ago, Renascent said:

I would like some more people who tried to fight back, and reds are those people usually. Was it with this update today or upcoming? If today I'll see if it works like intended.

It was supposed to be in the last update IIRC.