Killed animals disapearing

lumper

Question

So, if Im hunting on horseback, and I come across say a group of wolves, or boars, or deer, and as they run, I manage to kill 3 or 4 of them.

I then get off my horse to start skinning them, but often as I get to the second or third, the others are now just gone, like they de-spawned.

I dont understand if this is a glitch or the way it is, like animals that arent on your mini map when skinning they just act like they werent there to begin with.

It is super annoying when you are hunting to lose 1 or 2 carcasses and skins everytime.

Has anyone else noticed this?

14 answers to this question

Just now, lumper said:

So, if Im hunting on horseback, and I come across say a group of wolves, or boars, or deer, and as they run, I manage to kill 3 or 4 of them.

I then get off my horse to start skinning them, but often as I get to the second or third, the others are now just gone, like they de-spawned.

I dont understand if this is a glitch or the way it is, like animals that arent on your mini map when skinning they just act like they werent there to begin with.

It is super annoying when you are hunting to lose 1 or 2 carcasses and skins everytime.

Yes. Very common and likely just a limitation of the game (not a bug). If animals, etc. are outside of a certain range, the can despawn. The trick is to keep items within the area of the minimap if possible.  .....but even in the best circumstances it could still happen at times. Could be due to how much has to be rendered at the time.

• Like 3

I don’t think it’s a bug persay. I believe it has something to do with only rendering objects within certain range of an active player. Imagine how bogged down things would get if a whole lobby left dead animals and carcasses laying around all over the map? I agree it’s a pain at times. Perhaps it could be expanded a little. But it’s something I’m willing to accept as a limitation in a world so open and load screen free.

as mentioned, a good rule of thumb is try to keep dead animals inside your mini map circle. I know it’s tempting to run down that last critter, but if your going to loose the other 4 it just isn’t worth it.

Edited by The_Liquor
Damn autocorrect
  • Like 1

I understand that thinking, but in most cases the animals are visible on the mini map I try to put my horse between them so I can walk to the furthest animal and skin it and make my way toward my horse and still see all the paw marks on the map while I go, doing this has been more successful but still sometimes if you turn around for a minute and the paw mark goes off the minimap for even a second, you go back and it is gone, If it is to reduce items on screen it is set a litle to tight if you ask me.

At the same time. I use a scope and kill an animal a long way off, it i never see it on my mini map until I approach it, and those dont disappear and that doesnt really line up with the logic about limiting what is on screen, so I dunno, I think its just a little off.

Edited by lumper

Yes I think proximity and the minimap are key. BUT I think it could be a side effect all of the proximity change relative to the griefing so-called solution and minimizing the viewing area. Lately I have been picking up 1 carcass were bird and running toward the other kills and standing over the next one before I skin

Yes I have carcasses disappear even though I have them on my radar.

Also, since the last 2 patches, I have something new. I’ve had LIVE ANIMALS disappear, as I’m looking at them. (Not just bison).  I have this happen about once every 2-3 hours of hunting.

For example, yesterday. I ride up on 3 rabbits. All are easily in visual range. I shoot the first rabbit. I auto-target with the varmint rifle on the 2nd rabbit. it auto-targets. Then, sometime in the milliseconds between me targeting and firing, it fails to fire. I see a rabbit image, but it is frozen. I can’t shoot it. I un-target and try to re-target, and can’t. Then, after a few seconds the after-image of the rabbit blinks out while I’m staring right at it. <poof!>

A disappearing rabbit trick.  :=)

3 hours ago, Snipe said:

Also, since the last 2 patches, I have something new. I’ve had LIVE ANIMALS disappear, as I’m looking at them. (Not just bison).  I have this happen about once every 2-3 hours of hunting.

For example, yesterday. I ride up on 3 rabbits. All are easily in visual range. I shoot the first rabbit. I auto-target with the varmint rifle on the 2nd rabbit. it auto-targets. Then, sometime in the milliseconds between me targeting and firing, it fails to fire. I see a rabbit image, but it is frozen. I can’t shoot it. I un-target and try to re-target, and can’t. Then, after a few seconds the after-image of the rabbit blinks out while I’m staring right at it. <poof!>

A disappearing rabbit trick.  :=)

had this happen twice in story mode last night.  Needed a perfect badger for the satchel, and i found one, tracked it for just a short bit, couple hundred yards maybe, it went over a rock and the trail vanished.  needed a perfect rabbit, found one of them, same thing, tracked it for a while, then it went down a hill between two rock outcroppings and vanished.  I was in eagle eye then and watched the blue trail disappear.

On 3/23/2019 at 8:55 PM, lumper said:

The key here, is keeping the killed animals, if three or more, in your sight. Do not look away. It has nothing to do with the range of the minimap. If the carcasses are not in sight of your lens when you dismount, then yes, the chance they will despawn is high. 

When I am hunting groups, I try to keep them as close as possible. I noticed if I have to move around too much, they disappear. Time doesn't seem to be an issue either as I have skinned one, took a 3 min phone call IRL, and went back to skin the 2nd and it was still there. 

On 4/1/2019 at 8:36 PM, RON said:

When I am hunting groups, I try to keep them as close as possible. I noticed if I have to move around too much, they disappear. Time doesn't seem to be an issue either as I have skinned one, took a 3 min phone call IRL, and went back to skin the 2nd and it was still there. 

That is sometimes harder than it sounds though. I have taken out a group pretty fast of deer and them things still spread out. I am not sure about the time thing. It has to count as a factor in some way. 

On 3/26/2019 at 7:51 PM, Snipe said:

Correct. Since some patches ago sometimes live animals disappear. Especially birds. I've noticed that after i get zoned out of a showdown or pvp event, mission i see birds flying over head and when i aim at them and press fire they disappear. 

Also when i started playing RDRO (feb) i didnt notice disappearing carcases. Now whenever it gets out of the minimap window it despawns. 

Also one time i had a fresh kill despawn a few meters from me when i was skinning its friend. I was literally looking at it and poof ! 

I think they should increase the range a bit. Also i hate the fact that You cant lasso dead animal that fell into the water. 

a reply I received from rockstar support this morning touches on this and a couple of other issues I am currently experiencing

Hello SKOOM4LIFE, 

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry to hear that we have not replied to your question.
I apologise for the misunderstanding.

After reviewing the recent patch notes ( 10.6 and 1.07 ) it seems like no chance was applied to the treasure drop rates.
As mentioned earlier, the drop rates for Treasure Map are Random so it is very likely so sometime you will find many of them and sometime you wont find any at all. This does not means that drop rate changed.

Regarding the outfits on your horse, we have received similar report from other players and our development team is currently looking into it.
In order to try and fix this issue, could you please try deleting your custom outfits, and creating new ones ?

Regarding the animal despawning, the game at the moment tends to clear carcasses and bodies when they are too far away from players. This seems to happen more often when there many players, and dead bodies around. 
We are currently looking into the details of this, but we suspect there is a bug in the de-spawning of bodies and carcasses and our QA team is investigating.
For now we advise you to not kill too many animals from too far away. If you do kill an animal, you should try looking /skinning it as soon as you can and not get too far from it.

Finally regarding the core, this is perfectly normal gameplay.
For all 3 stats, the core slowly decrease with time. The bar around theses cores do increase by themselves ( depending on your cores ). It makes sense as the cores are restores by eating. Think about it this way : your character needs to eat every so often. Otherwise he will slowly starve and his cores will decreases : his health, stamina and dead eye will slowly decrease.

I hope I was able clarify this situation, and if you are still having an issue or need any more support, please let us know and we will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Edward D.
Rockstar Support | Tier 3

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nshanny73 said:

a reply I received from rockstar support this morning touches on this and a couple of other issues I am currently experiencing

"For now we advise you to not kill too many animals from too far away."

Best regards,

Edward D.
Rockstar Support | Tier 3

Funny...

I wanted to update this, I noticed in Colter I can shoot three or four animals at once, from a long way away with a scope and often they all remain, as long as I keep them in my sights and dont use the scope to look around after etc.. but other times with smaller animals especially much closer to gether or even gators now that I think of it, will often un spawn before I can skin them, there is no rhyme or reason to it it seems.