In Need Of Serious PVP Help Please

PVPNOOB

Good Evening all, I please want to ask if anyone has any advice and opinions at all regarding PVP, the best weapons and abilities and ammo etc.

I have tried researching so much via youtube, there is this guy who 2 shots or even 1 body shot kills his enemies with the Lancaster, however I am not even putting my enemies down with like 8 hits from it?

I also heard Slow & Steady has been nerfed so I am currently using Peak Condition, Strange Medicine, Winning Streak and Paint it Black.

I am trying so hard to just make a tiny bit of progress but honestly I am getting wrecked and I just cannot seem to pull off any kills at all.

I also own the Double Barrel Shotgun But still, my enemy dives and one shots me with a Lancaster but honestly, even if I shoot my enemy in the head FIVE times they do not go down?!

I make sure my weapons are cleaned too.

I just can’t work out why the Lancaster is supposed to be the best but honestly to me it feels as weak as the Carbine Repeater.

Is it best to stay mobile on maps or keep running around?

Sorry for all the questions but honestly any advice anyone can give me at all I will appreciate so much and be so greatful.

I just want to be able to do a tiny bit better than what I am doing currently, it just seems no matter how many shots I put through my enemies they don’t take any damage, I check their abilities and they are the same as mine, except a few using London’s Patience. They one shot me and I just cannot do anything lol.

Thank You so much for any advice anyone can give me 

• Like 1

KInda depends of the player's lvl... and your's... are your bars maxed out... is he using all damage ability cards....  and tonics

Unfortunately with the lack of content tied to the massive amounts of glitchers some have illegitimately amassed a great deal of money to blow. Money many trolls are using for unlimited tonics..... With seasoned big game meat and the right tonics a player can almost become a god... 3 shots for a rolling block to kill them if done right. They can also absorb at least 5 headshots with just tonics and big game... add in slow and steady and never without one and it could be up to 7 headshots.

I grind legitimately and don't PVP so going against these bored money glitching people is a waste of time. Mind you I have a large nest egg and could do the same I just don't.

I hunt all the time and keep an eye on my map. I've adapted my play style to still have fun and get work done while avoiding most people 90% of the time. I'll find a troll maybe once every couple weeks 

If you get in the habit of popping a minty big game (they last about 30-40 min) this alone will keep your health up in any chance encounter with one. Maybe enough to tuck tail and evade. Most trolls wont chase you far since you are not playing into their game.

Edit: Slow and steady was nerfed but there is still a damage reduction not just about headshots

... use split point... accuracy is everything not damage right now. In a game of headshots it's who gets there first not what damage the gun has (this can be argued) plus ammo is cheap.

... there really is no best gun... it's what you play better with. Volcanics has crazy damage and maxed out accuracy but I play better with shofields. Some like the bolt action I always did better with the springfield. 

... run the map... when you log in R* puts you near people... they say pick the opposite side you want and fast travel where you want to be. Thats a waste of money. Just go where you want and explore do your thing. At some point everyone else will span out as well. This has worked for me, just gotta watch your map

Edited by llp
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, llp said:

KInda depends of the player's lvl... and your's... are your bars maxed out... is he using all damage ability cards....  and tonics

Unfortunately with the lack of content tied to the massive amounts of glitchers some have illegitimately amassed a great deal of money to blow. Money many trolls are using for unlimited tonics..... With seasoned big game meat and the right tonics a player can almost become a god... 3 shots for a rolling block to kill them if done right. They can also absorb at least 5 headshots with just tonics and big game... add in slow and steady and never without one and it could be up to 7 headshots.

I grind legitimately and don't PVP so going against these bored money glitching people is a waste of time. Mind you I have a large nest egg and could do the same I just don't.

I hunt all the time and keep an eye on my map. I've adapted my play style to still have fun and get work done while avoiding most people 90% of the time. I'll find a troll maybe once every couple weeks 

If you get in the habit of popping a minty big game (they last about 30-40 min) this alone will keep your health up in any chance encounter with one. Maybe enough to tuck tail and evade. Most trolls wont chase you far since you are not playing into their game.

Edit: Slow and steady was nerfed but there is still a damage reduction not just about headshots

... use split point... accuracy is everything not damage right now. In a game of headshots it's who gets there first not what damage the gun has (this can be argued) plus ammo is cheap.

... there really is no best gun... it's what you play better with. Volcanics has crazy damage and maxed out accuracy but I play better with shofields. Some like the bolt action I always did better with the springfield. 

Absolutely excellent advice here buddy, thank you! You have got me thinking big time regarding the tonics now, I think that has to be what players are using, it makes sense now. I haven’t ever read up on tonics properly but does it actually make you not take damage from your health? That would make sense, like they are in god mode.

I have made it to 48 just by doing stranger missions and hunting to let the timer go down for the most amount of cash and XP, it’s just I am getting so burned out with Stranger missions I thought I would try PVP.

To be honest tho the stress it causes has got to stop, it does stress me out not putting them down with so many shots.

My health and stamina are 10/10, Dead Eye is 9/10, got Lancaster and Double Barrel Shotgun fully upgraded.

I think I will possibly try Slow & Steady, just don’t want to “waste” money but anything to help me succeed more in PVP lol.

Maybe another thing is lag but you have got me thinking big time about Health Tonics now.

Thanks a lot honestly

If all else fails I’ll stick with Stranger missions and Hunting, at least that is relaxing and not so rage inducing like PVP is (for me haha)

I mis read you were asking about strictly PVP... all the info counts minus my free roam garbage haha. PVP frustrates me as well and its so laggy as far as switching weapons etc I just don't.  As cliche and generic as it sounds it's just playing and practicing. 

I'm currently at 183 and thats just free roam. PVP sometimes just for the daily... and if I'm in a posse and people come after us. 

I still run slow and steady... it's top notch for hideouts and ambushes. Couple that with strange med- every hit gives back health, eye for an eye- headshots give back dead eye, and unblinking eye- slows drain..... I sit in dead eye through an entire hideout and still come out with almost full deadeye/health 

Glad I could help you out some.... big game and tonic those matches.... everyone will hate you for it but I'm sure allot of them do the same. And some are just great players

• Like 1

Some players in PVP are tuff to take down bcoz of the card layout that LLp mentioned. 

My advice to you is master the PiB card. The card layout you use - PiB,WS,PC,SM is grat for pvp. If you fast tap the ability without painting this will make your shots 100% accurate and there will be no need for waiting for the reticule to focus - it will immediatly focus when you use PiB. Paint PiB only when target is out of range - it works great for that.   Its tricky to make with basic controller. So - Aim and imediatelly use PiB, shoot and reapet if needed. 

Also there a re locations rich with herbs to make tonics and oil if you have the pamphlets. If you dont want to waste money on them in shop craft them. Pick herbs in a good spot and then change session and pick them again. make tonics , oils and go picking herbs again. 

• Like 1

Howdy noob !! At level 223 myself I have played a lot of PvP. 1st tip would be , never just run to the middle of the fight ! You won't survive. 2nd , use cover a open target is a death sentence. 3rd , experiment with different guns.  A one gun fits all is misleading. Try to stay around your team , they will need you. 4th , k/d ratio means nothing if your not having fun. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

I've given up on the PVP myself because it's full of bugs, hacks, lvl 300+ players who just play it all day, explosive ammo, and peeps who just PIB and  down their magic potions by the gallon. I refuse to use dead eye potions (ie. You're just paying to win) and will have a couple of flops here and their but can still can generally place pretty high on the board

However ...

Repeaters in my book are worthless....in free roam they're good for bird hunting is about it unless you're using PIB/Dead eye

Bolt action or Springfield rifle with express ammo is best for PVP.  High velocity for distance fights. 

Double barrel is too slow for PVP.  Repeating, pump or semi shotgun for PVP offers better fire rate, maximum damage

Cards really need to be matched to the type of fight and you can change them at beginning.

Allot of of it is practice and strategy. 

Also if you see your in a match with all high levels better off quiting and finding a match with players closer to your own rank.

Edited by Dissention
  • Like 1

Tried another day of PVP, honestly I think i am going to give up, I am just getting killed in the weirdest most unfair ways possible.

I just cannot work out why I can’t get any success at all, I even tried the Level 3 Tonic today and still get one shotted.

This guy on YouTube 2 shots with the Lancaster and I am still not even killing with like 10 shots With it.

I don’t know if lag is at play here or what else to even try, my Lancaster feels as weak as a Carbine Repeater yet the Lancaster is said to be the best by so many people.

Sorry guys but honestly I try so hard and bang my head is blown off so easily, I shoot a Rank 10 with no abilities 4 times with a Double Barrel Shotgun and he did not die :/

8 minutes ago, PVPNOOB said:

Tried another day of PVP, honestly I think i am going to give up, I am just getting killed in the weirdest most unfair ways possible.

I just cannot work out why I can’t get any success at all, I even tried the Level 3 Tonic today and still get one shotted.

This guy on YouTube 2 shots with the Lancaster and I am still not even killing with like 10 shots With it.

I don’t know if lag is at play here or what else to even try, my Lancaster feels as weak as a Carbine Repeater yet the Lancaster is said to be the best by so many people.

Sorry guys but honestly I try so hard and bang my head is blown off so easily, I shoot a Rank 10 with no abilities 4 times with a Double Barrel Shotgun and he did not die :/

I guarantee you they are cheating somehow, just not sure how.

• Like 1

I stopped playing the pvp after they kept nerfing our cards.

You spend $950 on a card and upgrading it, then they change its effects making it useless, that was it for me, I dropped out and havent gone back.

But in showdown, the best combo was double barrel shotty and  Paint it black, deadly combo.

Also dual sawed off's at close range are devastating.

Anything with exploding rounds works great, I like the Springfield, but others prefer the bolt action, the Springfield is faster to reload and more powerful.

Lastly the Lancaster was the best rifle for pvp when I played, I tried them all, but alwasy came back to the lancaster.

I wasnt very good, I did win several rounds and got mvp many times, but whenever we played any other mode where you play as a team it sucked, noboday uses a mic and works with you, so it is just chaos, not my kind of fun for a multiplayer, so I just stopped.

I dont miss it.

A double barrel and Paint it black in large showdown was a sure way to do very well though, IMO

• Like 1

I honestly give up. I have tried everything. Used Never Without One and still get headshotted, I shoot my enemy clean in the head and he takes no damage and he also did not have Slow & Steady or Never Without One, this just does not make sense?

Maybe it is the auto aim that is the problem, maybe it is just whoever locks on to you first, I really do not know now. I am shooting players clean in the head and even if they do not have Never Without One they do not die.

Also I seriously regret buying this Lancaster, damn it feels weak as hell.

What am I doing wrong guys? Honestly I appreciate all your advice here and I promise I do read and try everything, something just is not right with this game for me. 

Hey bud , as mentioned above getting damage buff cards maxed at level 3 should help. Winning streak and a few others are good damage buffs. As far as the Lancaster goes it's just my opinion but different PvP modes tend to favor different guns. The trusty ole bolt action is usually fairly even on most modes.  I would take time and read through the passive cards and what they bring. It takes a lot of time and money to get the set that best worked for you. Also keep trying different guns. Some although probably cheating are running around getting 1 shot kills with varmint rifle. PvP is extremely broken at moment. It will get leveled out soon ! Hang in there. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, PVPNOOB said:

I honestly give up. I have tried everything. Used Never Without One and still get headshotted, I shoot my enemy clean in the head and he takes no damage and he also did not have Slow & Steady or Never Without One, this just does not make sense?

Maybe it is the auto aim that is the problem, maybe it is just whoever locks on to you first, I really do not know now. I am shooting players clean in the head and even if they do not have Never Without One they do not die.

Also I seriously regret buying this Lancaster, damn it feels weak as hell.

What am I doing wrong guys? Honestly I appreciate all your advice here and I promise I do read and try everything, something just is not right with this game for me. 

As @Chris Arbaugh mentioned above, you're probably better off going from damage if the headshot doesn't  occur. Ditch the Lancaster for either the bolt action or Springfield rifle, whichever you're more comfortable using. I'm  a Springfield guy myself. Use a shotgun for cqc. Good choices are the pump action, repeating or sawed off. Use express ammo and use offensive ability cards. Peak condition and winning streak are good passive offensive cards, maybe even use focus fire for your deadeye card. Horsemanship is a good card for free roam, but mostly useless in showdowns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Chris Arbaugh said:

Hey bud , as mentioned above getting damage buff cards maxed at level 3 should help. Winning streak and a few others are good damage buffs. As far as the Lancaster goes it's just my opinion but different PvP modes tend to favor different guns. The trusty ole bolt action is usually fairly even on most modes.  I would take time and read through the passive cards and what they bring. It takes a lot of time and money to get the set that best worked for you. Also keep trying different guns. Some although probably cheating are running around getting 1 shot kills with varmint rifle. PvP is extremely broken at moment. It will get leveled out soon ! Hang in there. 

Cheers bud I currently have Paint It Black, Peak Condition, Winning Streak and Never Without One, I am still getting headshotted so easily.

I have tried I just don't know anymore what to do, it's like I am doing something massively wrong 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PVPNOOB said:

Cheers bud I currently have Paint It Black, Peak Condition, Winning Streak and Never Without One, I am still getting headshotted so easily.

I have tried I just don't know anymore what to do, it's like I am doing something massively wrong 

I'm a big fan of nwo but in all honesty , either it's it broken or only works on occasion. I always have it equipped in PvP and still get 1 shot killed with it on.  There are times it works but rarely. If you here a sound like a rock hitting a metal pan when shooting at someone it usually means you have nicked there hat off. Remember also that as the card reads , you take much more damage without your hat if it's nicked off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PVPNOOB said:

Unfortunately there's nothing you can really do about taking headshots other than try to get and stay in cover to limit your exposure. There's  also slippery bastard if you can free aim well.

• Like 2

Just trying to help but as others and myself have noted PVP is a broken mess, but the way I look at it is all about strategy and preserverance for success...

Yes I still get picked off all the time by the lousy carbine repeater and varmint rifle and I don't know how they do it but ...

A headshot is going to kill you outright most of the time and the only way to prevent it is slippery bastard, doing dives, using cover and the terrain to your advantage is going to reduce you getting shot.

I'm also going to suggest Showdown Series small over large as (impossible to get into) and more chance of getting picked off

On one hand, Most of these games it doesn't matter how many times you get shot and respawn (I frequently get tagged battered but who cares)....

Spoils of war, hostile territory and similar games you can choose to be a runner or a defender.   To be a defender find something close to the bag/territory and just hide in cover and practice your headshots or use a shotgun/handguns to ward off close incoming enemies.   Being a runner is just avoiding being shot....

Public enemy I just chase after the target for the most points.  

Weapon Melee using the tomahawk for 6 points or 3 points for the shotgun is better than the 1 point repeater...

Capturing 5 territory's, killing public enemy 5 times or delivering 3 bags, etc. usually gets me the MVP and team win  over the player who sits near an enemy spawn and picks off 32 enemies.

Most wanted is the one (off the top of my head) that really matters about not getting shot.  Most of the 300-400 lvl players have learned to sit behind a tree or something and pick you off.  It's either find a way/path to take them out or just pick off the other players

Elimination series I haven't played in months because of the long spectate times for reward (and the people who team up, pick everyone off and then lazily fight for couple minutes at the end) and the fact they spawn people directly behind you...but throwing knifes and bow/arrow are good ways to learn headshots and using terrain  to your advantage.

And I've posted it B4...I have every repeater, fully upgraded and they don't work for me in free roam or PVP. I use bolt action or Springfield but my true favorite is a Max fire rate shotgun.  I sacrifice fire rate for damage , but that's my opinion...

100 different players can give you a 100 different answers on guns, if Lancaster isn't working try different load out... Litchfield less accurate but better damage if you want a repeater.  Part of the joy of this game is trying out different weapons...

And the most important part is having fun... it's just a game with a lifespan.  I'm super competitive but at the end of the day don't care if I'm top of the leaderboard Everytime... it's about enjoying the ride

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Omg so much donkey crap here, so listen me boy a have only recomendation how to improwe ur pvp skills

get the hell out of sneeze peeze forum, smoke sigare eat some big game meat and join showdown large just right now!!! and play it till ur PS4 controller r completly destroyet from month of playing. 

xD  c ya on battlegrounds.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

With seasoned big game meat and the right tonics a player can almost become a god.

Huge reason why I don't play online much anymore. You all want to hunt and fish and be left alone yet there are these abilities to become something that never existed in the wild west. Take away all these "god like" abilities and let the best players win.

I know a lot of you are going to scream at me but could not care less as we all play the way we want.

• Like 4

Pvp is definitely a bit challenging atm,

I ride with Chris’s posse (Arthur’s Angels)we normally end the night with a fair few rounds to keep us on point with grievers. We all use different cards different guns and will normally all get MVP in almost every match

I wouldn’t give up, like a few people have said there’s some high level players just sat in that all day long, they know all the spawn spots and each map like the back of there hand. If I was you ide go in showdown medium it has a good mix of different games so it’s good practice. 

Youtube is a great place to get tips and then try them out yourself but try to not  take it so serious 

some days I can kick ass another day I will die over and over. If I was on my own going into pvp ide find it beyond frustrating and no fun. If you don’t already maybe look to run with a fun posse that way you will learn from them and also knowing there dying as well won’t make you feel as rubbish.  

I love the Lancaster and can normally take players out with one shot using PIB but not painting them, and the double barrel has some serious damage if used with PIB  also.

good luck 🤠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tom Dooley said:

Abilitycards is a gamekiller. Like legaized cheats. I`ve left the online-game bcs of this, won`t look back

Agreed. Game is full of a bunch of people running around with cards but very few actual gun fighters. Only thing worst than cards is all the tonics. No one should take 5-6+ Springfield shots to the head. That is just stupid. I would love to see a hardcore mode with no cards . Ridiculous all the players using PIB with a Springfield. That has to be one of the easiest guns to aim with to begin with. I feel the cards need to be done away with and instead offer things like perks ( ie. Quickdraw , Faster Reload, Increased Stamina,etc). Running around like the Wild West Terminator tanking headshots is beyond lame. Free Roam gun fights and Showdown used to be so enjoyable in the first few months of beta. Now the meta is PIB and drinking as many tonics as possible so you can take Express Springfield shots to dome like it is a BB gun. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rushman14 said:

I'm noticing a lot of cheating going on lately. There was a level 14 in showdown yesterday wasting people with one shot. She was getting MVP every round with like 26 kills. Definitely sucking the fun out of it.

A lot of cheats are out now. Godmode , Radar Glitch , Not being able to do damage to players, etc. Hopefully with the update they start rolling out bans. 

• Like 3

Very excellent information from everyone! Thanks a ton I am glad I now know why players are not getting killed - Tonics and cheats.

To be completely honest, the one major thing I want sorted is headshots, I personally think they are a major problem for less experienced players like me, constantly being headshotted over and over by a player that you can't see on your radar just seriously annoys me, can't seem to defend in any way, unless of course we down tonics and Minty Big Game, but honestly I at the moment don't have the energy or will to try to that extreme level just to win matches.

But yeah seriously thank you all, I now finally know the power of those tonics.

Do you think they will ever remove Slippery B? That is one insane unfair ability, honestly lol, saw some guy on YouTube running around in matches with it on constantly, could not believe what I was seeing.

So basically I am thinking to stay out of PVP until it gets a major rebalance of a lot of things, the headshots annoy me the most. And what is the point even trying against someone using Level 3 Health Tonics?

I don't think Rockstar will ever change the PVP that much tho, maybe in a few years as GTA Online had very similar problems and has only very recently had some "cheating" tactics reworked.

Maybe it is best to stick to hunting and missions for now, if they rework all these problems with PVP I'll play again for sure.

But Thank You, I understand the power of Tonics now, how do you and other people even find out all this stuff?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PVPNOOB said:

Very excellent information from everyone! Thanks a ton I am glad I now know why players are not getting killed - Tonics and cheats.

To be completely honest, the one major thing I want sorted is headshots, I personally think they are a major problem for less experienced players like me, constantly being headshotted over and over by a player that you can't see on your radar just seriously annoys me, can't seem to defend in any way, unless of course we down tonics and Minty Big Game, but honestly I at the moment don't have the energy or will to try to that extreme level just to win matches.

But yeah seriously thank you all, I now finally know the power of those tonics.

Do you think they will ever remove Slippery B? That is one insane unfair ability, honestly lol, saw some guy on YouTube running around in matches with it on constantly, could not believe what I was seeing.

So basically I am thinking to stay out of PVP until it gets a major rebalance of a lot of things, the headshots annoy me the most. And what is the point even trying against someone using Level 3 Health Tonics?

I don't think Rockstar will ever change the PVP that much tho, maybe in a few years as GTA Online had very similar problems and has only very recently had some "cheating" tactics reworked.

Maybe it is best to stick to hunting and missions for now, if they rework all these problems with PVP I'll play again for sure.

But Thank You, I understand the power of Tonics now, how do you and other people even find out all this stuff?

Most find out about these tonics by many hours of experimenting. Also aimbot has taken over PvP. Oh it's a real issue. I'm sure they will patch it soon.  Saw a video today that rockstar and take 2 are dropping the hammer on youtubers posting videos of exploits. They will get it lined out hopefully soon.  Yea bud just stick to free roam and build your money and xp. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 9:58 AM, Chris Arbaugh said:

I'm a big fan of nwo but in all honesty , either it's it broken or only works on occasion. I always have it equipped in PvP and still get 1 shot killed with it on.  There are times it works but rarely. If you here a sound like a rock hitting a metal pan when shooting at someone it usually means you have nicked there hat off. Remember also that as the card reads , you take much more damage without your hat if it's nicked off. 

NWO  work only for free roam , it doesnt work into pvp , the thing is that people go in free aim + paint it black + from the hip  shot  add to it that some players once they get killed once , they put on defensive mode and can go rambo with shotgun close range , add to that a slippery bastard and some1 can become annoyijng fast , best i use now is shotgun fire ammo on semi auto sotgun dual lemat for 1 shot headshot , springfield with express ammo , u can paint in black from far and u got time to mark the head or bow dynamite , bow fire ammo with pib , good range , just always have a tonic and or seasoned big game meat for the IV boost ( lvl 4 ) and get used to dive   ( l2 and swuare )

• Thanks 1