Steam reviews... Are mixed

This is no surprise really. People can be tough on there with reviews.

I was looking over the them though and the bulk of negative reviews deal with needing the Rockstar Launcher to play the game. This, I do not understand. For GTA V, was it needed to have the Rockstar Launcher installed to run the game on Steam or are they doing something different now?

Give it time. I feel like they will balance out. The game hasn't even been up there for an entire day yet. Most will start out mixed unless the game has no clear functioning issues. People likely got a bad taste in their mouths from all the issues they been reading about with the game too.

I understand about the many things that irritate that should have been fixed by now, but this is still a most remarkable and totally immersive game.  The time spent in-game is a pure delight.  I will endure the irritants and bask in the glory of a really special gaming experience if sandbox games are your style.   I must confess I was concerned about the juvenile griefing potential but was pleased to discover most on-line players are non-intrusive into your game or helpful at best.  The occasional jerk one encouters merely makes the rest of the player base seem pleasant

• Like 1

Can someone also tell me if modders mostly come with steam versions? Last night we were doing a delivery and this modder appeared and ruined it. Was reported and stuff but it's was so annoying. I hope this wont end up like GTA :(

6 minutes ago, Mizz-Lucy said:

Can someone also tell me if modders mostly come with steam versions? Last night we were doing a delivery and this modder appeared and ruined it. Was reported and stuff but it's was so annoying. I hope this wont end up like GTA :(

You mean people who use mods online?

It doesn't make a difference if they do it through a game purchased on Steam or through Rockstar, both run on the same launcher. Just keep reporting them. They are cracking down on people using mods and hacks online.

• Like 1
Just now, Coyote said:

You mean people who use mods online?

It doesn't make a difference if they do it through a game purchased on Steam or through Rockstar, both run on the same launcher. Just keep reporting them. They are cracking down on people using mods and hacks online.

Yes. Ok thanks. I hope they do.

On 12/5/2019 at 6:02 PM, KVNknowsbest said:

This is no surprise really. People can be tough on there with reviews.

I was looking over the them though and the bulk of negative reviews deal with needing the Rockstar Launcher to play the game. This, I do not understand. For GTA V, was it needed to have the Rockstar Launcher installed to run the game on Steam or are they doing something different now?

We never needed the RockStar launcher for GTA 5 on Steam until after the launcher came out, but when I signed up for the launcher I did so to get GTA San Andreas for free and I didn't have any issues with it so I can't complain. If It's required now, that's news to me. Maybe some player's had issues with it. 

• Like 1
On 12/6/2019 at 12:08 PM, Mizz-Lucy said:

Unfortunately, people using mods to troll comes with PC gaming. I have GTA on Steam and the online is full of modders. But I have a lot of friends that mod online but don't troll or mess with anyones game. Personally, I don't mind if players mod online, as long as they don't mess up other players games. The problem with reporting them is that when they get banned, they have another account up in minutes. 

Edited by Vendetta
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

Unfortunately, people using mods to troll comes with PC gaming. I have GTA on Steam and the online is full of modders. But I have a lot of friends that mod online but don't troll or mess with anyones game. Personally, I don't mind if players mod online, as long as they don't mess up other players games. The problem with reporting them is that when they get banned, they have another account up in minutes. 

I used to refuse stuff but that made them follow me around more. On GTA online. Was really odd.

Edited by Mizz-Lucy
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

Yikes. Some people can be creepy at times. Do play on any consoles? 

I think it's because everyone asks for money don't they. So when one doesn't and runs or drives off it's new to them 😄 I have a PS4 but haven't used it since getting the PC.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Mizz-Lucy said:

I think it's because everyone asks for money don't they. So when one doesn't and runs or drives off it's new to them 😄 I have a PS4 but haven't used it since getting the PC.

I love it when your driving around and they eject you from your car. 

• Haha 1
On 12/8/2019 at 7:40 PM, Anc1entC0re said:

As of today, Mixed (7,529). This means half of the reviews are negative. That is a lot of negative reviews, nearly 4,000 really. Yikes!

Can anyone give an update on any patches that would have fixed issues with i5 CPU and certain GPU such as the GTX 1050 TI? 

My issues was that I couldn't run the game beyond low settings and even then, the game would shutter and bottleneck and freeze. Just waiting for word of when the game has been fixed to the point that I could run it so that I can buy the game. 

58 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

Can anyone give an update on any patches that would have fixed issues with i5 CPU and certain GPU such as the GTX 1050 TI? 

My issues was that I couldn't run the game beyond low settings and even then, the game would shutter and bottleneck and freeze. Just waiting for word of when the game has been fixed to the point that I could run it so that I can buy the game. 

I play it with a GTX 1050 TI, and have had no such issues. I'm on an i7 desktop though. I do run it on mostly low with a few medium settings, but could probably safely bump it up a bit. (I played it safe in the beginning with all the crashes, and I also just don't care that much, still looks great to me on low-ish settings.)

Game generally runs smoothly, apart from occasional crashes, but I'm pretty sure those aren't GPU related. (In Online mode the game locks up from time to time, have to Task Manager out of it. In story mode it was different, "unexpected error" stuff I believe.)

So if your issues were worse than that, it was likely not down to the GPU?

2 hours ago, flu007 said:

I play it with a GTX 1050 TI, and have had no such issues. I'm on an i7 desktop though. I do run it on mostly low with a few medium settings, but could probably safely bump it up a bit. (I played it safe in the beginning with all the crashes, and I also just don't care that much, still looks great to me on low-ish settings.)

Game generally runs smoothly, apart from occasional crashes, but I'm pretty sure those aren't GPU related. (In Online mode the game locks up from time to time, have to Task Manager out of it. In story mode it was different, "unexpected error" stuff I believe.)

So if your issues were worse than that, it was likely not down to the GPU?

Thanks for the info. I was playing the first week it was released. My gaming laptop has an i5 7300HQ, 16GB RAM, and a GTX 1050 TI 4GB. It would auto default to all low settings, shutter and bottleneck. The graphics looked like PS2. 

When I would into the menu to change the graphics settings and save them, the PC would run so slow and screen would freeze. Seem like it would take several minutes before everything would return to normal. 

4 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

Thanks for the info. I was playing the first week it was released. My gaming laptop has an i5 7300HQ, 16GB RAM, and a GTX 1050 TI 4GB. It would auto default to all low settings, shutter and bottleneck. The graphics looked like PS2. 

When I would into the menu to change the graphics settings and save them, the PC would run so slow and screen would freeze. Seem like it would take several minutes before everything would return to normal. 

Yeah, that's definitely not the case for me. Mine would default to much higher settings, but I set them lower just incase.

(I7 6700 with 12 gb RAM here, btw, if that matters. I dont know much about all that stuff, but the system is 4 yrs old, vid card a more recent addition.)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, flu007 said:

Yeah, that's definitely not the case for me. Mine would default to much higher settings, but I set them lower just incase.

(I7 6700 with 12 gb RAM here, btw, if that matters. I dont know much about all that stuff, but the system is 4 yrs old, vid card a more recent addition.)

My understanding was there was issues with certain CPU's and GPU's and that RockStar was working with Nividia to get a fix, but in all the recent driver updates, I haven't read anything about any fixes. 

Might be the combo of certain CPUs with the GPU then, because I've been playing since it came out (well, day 3 or something) without issues.

Or rather, no GPU related issues at least, as far as I can tell. There were plenty other issues, with the Rockstar Launcher etc, and game crashes, but those were the issues many other players were also having.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, flu007 said:

Might be the combo of certain CPUs with the GPU then, because I've been playing since it came out (well, day 3 or something) without issues.

Or rather, no GPU related issues at least, as far as I can tell. There were plenty other issues, with the Rockstar Launcher etc, and game crashes, but those were the issues many other players were also having.

A friend of mine who basically runs the same computer as my brother has zero problems now yet my brother can't seem to catch a break with the game. I think there is more to it somewhere. Like maybe something with Windows or something.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for helping. I decided to purchase the Red Dead Redemption 2 Special Edition on the Steam store and it is currently downloading. I'm hoping that everything has been patched to atleast be playable. If I do encounter any issues, I'll post them on the forums here to ask for help. I'm hoping for the best.  

Edited by Vendetta
  • Like 2

well... i don't own the game on steam, but i completely understand the mixed reviews.

i really love the game and i'd love to be able to play it. unfortunately it crashes more in a few hours than any game i played over years. i've been playing a lot of ESO since release, about 5 years now, and i can tell you that RDR2 crashes more in one day than ESO in one year playing every day. also... many things don't work and trader is almost impossible to play. the game is great, i dreamed for long time to get this on pc, yes, but it's insanely bugged. it's probably the most bugged game i ever played. i'm only dealing with all the RDR2 mess because i love the theme and the spirit of the game. in the current state it's hard to review the game very positively. the intention of the game it is a 10/10 but what we get, it's about 6/10.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Vendetta said:

Thanks everyone for helping. I decided to purchase the Red Dead Redemption 2 Special Edition on the Steam store and it is currently downloading. I'm hoping that everything has been patched to atleast be playable. If I do encounter any issues, I'll post them on the forums here to ask for help. I'm hoping for the best.  

I am curious to see if all your issues have been fixed. What were the main ones you were having issues with?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, NeKryXe said:

well... i don't own the game on steam, but i completely understand the mixed reviews.

i really love the game and i'd love to be able to play it. unfortunately it crashes more in a few hours than any game i played over years. i've been playing a lot of ESO since release, about 5 years now, and i can tell you that RDR2 crashes more in one day than ESO in one year playing every day. also... many things don't work and trader is almost impossible to play. the game is great, i dreamed for long time to get this on pc, yes, but it's insanely bugged. it's probably the most bugged game i ever played. i'm only dealing with all the RDR2 mess because i love the theme and the spirit of the game. in the current state it's hard to review the game very positively. the intention of the game it is a 10/10 but what we get, it's about 6/10.

I couldn't agree with you more about the bugs. Even on Xbox it still has issues. 

1 hour ago, SNAK3S said:

I am curious to see if all your issues have been fixed. What were the main ones you were having issues with?

I will keep you up to date. Steam is giving me issues currently. I paused my download at around 30GB, when I went to resume the download, it started over from 0GB. Wondering if I hit a wrong button. 

My problems, I belive to be CPU and GPU, basically I couldn't run the game beyond low settings and the graphics seem like I was playing something from 2000 lol. I shouldn't say play, as I really couldn't play the game due to suttering and bottlenecking, and freezing game play. When I would go into the graphics settings menu in game, as soon as I saved any settings, the game would freeze in menu so bad, it would take several minutes to just get out of the menu. 

Edited by Vendetta
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Coyote said:

The game is on sale for $47.99 on Steam if anyone hasn't gotten it yet. 

The special editions are also 25% off. Not sure when this sale started. 

I noticed it last night!. 

Update: I must have done something wrong when pausing the Steam download at 30GB last night. It is starting over from 0GB. For some reason, my gaming labtop has always had slow download speed, even on fast networks. Current average is 4.2MB/s. Now when tested during this Steam download, the network is recording a 79 ms ping, 12.90 Mbps Download, 29.61 Mbps Upload. It has alway's been like this since I've owned this computer. Doesn't ever effect my online gaming though. Please be patient with me. Soon as I get it installed and can test the game, I will let everyone know how it runs on the second try. 

Edited by Vendetta
  • Like 1