How much can you earn from Moonshine?

So what is the most you can realistically make from selling moonshine? Like is there a general earning standard for each kind?

I could be overlooking something but I want to know if it is worth investing the time to keep making it.

Well, mash costs 50. I think it was initially 60, but I must have reduced the base price with a mission somewhere early on, not sure.

So 50 is the base price, but that can be reduced to 30 if you do a Maggie mission - either type - right before ordering the mash.

So 30 or 50, that cost is the same for weak medium or strong mash. Plus some ingredients for the flavoring.

Unflavored weak shine sells for 52, I think. Flavored for 75-82ish.

I think medium flavored shine is in the 120-150 range, strong around 180-240ish.

That's for a full 20 bottle load though. If you break even a few bottles along the way, which is really easy to do, it takes a decent chunk off tbat price.

On the other hand, deliveries tend to be very short distance, and 4 out of 5 times the revenuers haven't bothered me.

• Like 1

I'm only on level 7 in the moonshiners role due to a late start.  Can only make about as much as flu mentioned with the medium flavored shine.

The only difference is I'm not as lucky with revenuers, basically 50/50 between them bothering me and them just telling me to keep going.  

I'm doing flavored high quality shine right now and the orders are in the $244  ballpark depending on the buyer.  It takes 1 hour to produce.

Minus $30 for the mash. 

Do a bootlegger mission before making your mash and it will cost $30 instead of 50.  Appears I have to do it everytime to get the lower price. 

So, roughly $200 profit in a little over an hour.  

It takes Cripps slightly more than 3 hours   to produce $625 worth of goods as a trader.  So you're looking at similar profit for moonshining, but requiring 3 missions, and 3 (shorter, less risky) deliveries. 

Agree with the above - early on, the money is awful (like, break a couple of bottles on your delivery run and you might not even be in profit if you're using fast travel to get to your shack! - but ultimately it is similar money to trading but less work and easier to access.  Basically we'll all be rich once we get through the grindy bit at the beginning.  Collector make me the most coin but is the least fun (for me), I just tend to do it in the margins of the other roles rather than actually focussing on it.

$200 per hour.

Cooking best whiskey is worth $247.   Mash cost $20-$50.   Cooking time 48 minutes... Delivery 5-10 minutes.

If glitch free.. issues with some missions stuck at loading screens... sometimes resulting in loss of bottles.

Cripps is mad because he gets less from animal parts and so is mostly on empty nowadays... and if you want to hunt youd better do it on a mission server nowadays or forget it.

ts actually not too bad for money... hunting and collecting are nerfed.. so if it was glitch free it wouldnt be too bad.

The bar is useless but so are trains in this game... eventually things may have a purpose.   I can recall stealing wagons to get the wagon driving achievements.

Collecting is still the best way to make money in my opinion though the collectors map I use still hasn't fully updated for the new cycle, but once it does it'll still be the #1 money maker especially when they updated the random spots, which is where I got most of my money from pre-moonshine update.

yeah, the first bit sucks... I’ve delivered a batch with just one broken bottle and lost about $1.50... you need to do other work just to find your way through the first bit.  If it does get better, and I’m sure the glitches will get ironed out.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, The_Liquor said:

yeah, the first bit sucks... I’ve delivered a batch with just one broken bottle and lost about $1.50... you need to do other work just to find your way through the first bit.  If it does get better, and I’m sure the glitches will get ironed out.

They will … just wish it would happen soon.... or fix the animal spawn ..... cause I can’t work the trade or the shine ..... only bounty and collecting..... I won’t give up, love it too much .... been playing since day 1 of the beta last year.... I have the ultimate edition so I was on the very first day... lol ..... just can’t believe the issues that are still occurring 1 year later ... 

49 minutes ago, KoiiBoii said:

So when you are a lower level, you earn a lot less but as you level up in the craft, it becomes easier and you earn more? I only leveled up to 3 and gave up with it. lol

When you can upgrade and make the better moonshine it gets better

Collecting has been nerfed by a lot.   Hunting almost non existent atm.   

Moonshine is glitched on certain BUYERS... I'm pretty sure you can bypass the loading screen glitch if you bypass certain buyers like Frank bennett.

I've had better luck sticking to the same buyers and type of whiskey.  I thought id get better experience with more recipes.. but it s best because of glitches to just do the ones that work.. If they fail to load... reload and take bottles to cheaper buyer.  For moonshining stick to the customers and whiskey recipes that work for you and your location... Save the fanciness for after they debug.

At level 20 Highest level mash cost $20-50 depending on how many maggie missions you do (I just do them to leave cookhouse because her missions usually end closer to town or camp).

So
- $50 for 48 minute brew. that sells for about $227-$247.   If you smash just one bottle you are down $50RDO.   I suggest driving wagon in CINEMATIC MODE and powering through all roadblocks without firing at them.... If they wanted you to pull over they will gve chase... but with warning in cinematic mode... and if they dont pull you over (frequently happens) they will never give chase.   You can do the entire mission just by holding the button down (no steering)... I always get 20/20 bottles delivered... if they give chase you need to stop and shoot them a few times.. but still easy way.

<$50 mash - $247 profit = >$197

48 minutes to make brew + 10 minute delivery and return.

So... $200 hour.  Not bad actually... if you can avoid the loading glitches and Marcel doesn't go on strike... Make sure he has brewed at least 1 bottle prior to leaving cookhouse.... sometimes he has the stuff and doesn't like to work... I think its when we re-flavor as 1 cause.. but unsure.

Bottom line though

$200+/hour

Edited by Darconios
  • Like 1

I've made barely anything.

90% of the time.  I just get hung up on a black loading screen and have to restart my game.    Before, a black screen would mean "SOLO LOBBY FUN TIME".

Now, since R*  "FIXED" that.  Nothing happens, the game prevents the solo lobby from starting and just keeps me stuck in a load screen foreeeeeeeeeeeever.

• 8 months later...

I know I'm a bit late to this party, but as a new shine runner myself, I've come up with a couple tricks to make the job a whole lot easier:
1) kill revenue men on the map... apparently, these encounters will increase the laziness of the revenue men's recruits... if you do this, stop at the check point, and wait. and wait... and eventually he gets bored and lets you go... you got about a 50-50 that they stop the wagon, and another 33-33-33 chance that if they stop you, they ignore you and let you go, they take 1 bottle, or they start shooting. if you do not stop if they say to stop, they WILL shoot, and they aim not for you, but for the wagons horse (or the wagon if it's in the way) which is costly
2) poisoning rival stills reduces the shine cost of the next batch to 30 AND speeds it up. Either via Maggie's quest, or finding one in free roam. blowing it up reduces the cost by 10.
3) Autopathing is your friend! if you play on PS4, hold down the touchpad till it goes into cinnematic mode and just spam (x). your wagon will follow the road flawlessly, avoiding all bumps and ruts in the roads. just be sure to exit cinnematic if you approach revenue blockades or your destination, as your wagon doesn't make that final turn off the road, but pulls over on the road.
4) last bit of advice applies to all wagons, and it took me a (long and frustrating) while to figure out... R1 is the break, but its also the button that, when stopped, you can hold down to back the wagon up.

5) bring a friend... driving is hard when you also gotta shoot n defend your wagon. therefore, bring a friend with you and they'll earn some money too. one of you shoots, the other can then focus on steering the wagon away from all those nasty bumps and rocks that break your shine bottles. square button tosses the reins to your friend, so if you need someone else to drive (afterall, a shine runner's gotta make sure the product they sells good quality) having a friend along also deters some solo griefers, causing them to steer towards lonelier prey.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, KevinDSears said:

I know I'm a bit late to this party, but as a new shine runner myself, I've come up with a couple tricks to make the job a whole lot easier:
1) kill revenue men on the map... apparently, these encounters will increase the laziness of the revenue men's recruits... if you do this, stop at the check point, and wait. and wait... and eventually he gets bored and lets you go... you got about a 50-50 that they stop the wagon, and another 33-33-33 chance that if they stop you, they ignore you and let you go, they take 1 bottle, or they start shooting. if you do not stop if they say to stop, they WILL shoot, and they aim not for you, but for the wagons horse (or the wagon if it's in the way) which is costly
2) poisoning rival stills reduces the shine cost of the next batch to 30 AND speeds it up. Either via Maggie's quest, or finding one in free roam. blowing it up reduces the cost by 10.
3) Autopathing is your friend! if you play on PS4, hold down the touchpad till it goes into cinnematic mode and just spam (x). your wagon will follow the road flawlessly, avoiding all bumps and ruts in the roads. just be sure to exit cinnematic if you approach revenue blockades or your destination, as your wagon doesn't make that final turn off the road, but pulls over on the road.
4) last bit of advice applies to all wagons, and it took me a (long and frustrating) while to figure out... R1 is the break, but its also the button that, when stopped, you can hold down to back the wagon up.

5) bring a friend... driving is hard when you also gotta shoot n defend your wagon. therefore, bring a friend with you and they'll earn some money too. one of you shoots, the other can then focus on steering the wagon away from all those nasty bumps and rocks that break your shine bottles. square button tosses the reins to your friend, so if you need someone else to drive (afterall, a shine runner's gotta make sure the product they sells good quality) having a friend along also deters some solo griefers, causing them to steer towards lonelier prey.

The most efficient way to do the moonshiner role is :

1. Do a story mission - choose the 3rd one on the boat. This mission is easy, takes about 12 to 15 mins and gives about 1,5k xp

2. Do a moonshiner mission and get back to  moonshine shack. 

This action will reduce the mash cost to 10 RDO$ and deliver 2k xp.

3. Set up the moonshine - i only choose special moonshine when there is a daily mission for it. IMO its not worth to sacrifice a colectible for 20 rdo$ more on the shine. Its better to keep the colectible and deliver the sets to Madame Nazar. If you want to make the best mash everytime tho - choose the one with carribean rum - its the most common to find. 

4. When delivering the mash use auto drive as u mentioned but controll the speed especially on bridge enterance or exit. For me slow trot works the best. Keep in mind that the wagon also auto drives when you press and hold aim. This way you can drive and shoot the agents without problems. 

After you deliver without breaking you get about 937 xp for the delivery of 2* shine. 

5. Repeat the process.

Overall moneywise its close to Trader but exp wise better than trader. 

• Like 3

I just started making my first mash on PC last night. Seems like the only mashes worth producing are the flavored shines. The moonshiner missions are funnest of all the roles which makes the role well worth it for me. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

This role could be so much more in my opinion, plus...there is some serious math issues with the delivery system...

1. First of all, let's say you are doing a special delivery that equates to $247.50 if you deliver 20/20 bottles. 
  2. This would qualify you for a $200/$200 role daily if you did it. 
  3. BUT...if you break ONE bottle, you lose $60.00 in that delivery. ONE BOTTLE. That's pretty easy to do, especially if you are trying to do the mission with 5 mins remaining. 
  4. The math here is messed up (and completely unforgiving.) Because if ONE bottle is worth $60.00 than 20 should make the delivery worth  $1200.00... but @  $247.50, that means that each bottle is worth about $12.50...so how they come up with such an unforgiving penalty, I don't know.

There is a lot missing in this role when it comes to income. Especially after you've put forth all the effort to upgrade everything. 

• The story missions on this role are great, and I think that's probably the best part, but they really do not seem to pay off in the slightest.
  • I think when the owner of the shack is either playing with the band, or bartending, there should be a slight income from patrons. Not all the time, just when you're in there interacting with the environment you created.
  • They could also do a hosted poker game that your shack makes the dealer cut on. 
  • Like 1

Nowadays I only make a batch if there is a daily challenge that I can complete by doing so - either to deliver, make money or drink a moonshine & sometimes 1 batch can do all 3!!

For a successful delivery my tips are:-

1] Locate in Bayou NWA - much flatter delivery roads although there are some bridges

2] Equip a rifle that allows the scope to be turned on & off so u can take close shots easier than trying to find the target when scoped [especially riders]

3] Always stop just short of roadblocks & kill all the Revenue Men before proceeding - you can then loot & proceed if you so desire, unless it's the 5 minute timed one.

4] Use the Auto-Drive feature - this makes switching the scope off even more useful as you can keep an eye out & go scoped when they arrive on horseback

5] Slow on the approach to bridges & crawl over them slowly 

This should increase your success rate - I can generally do all the Bayou NWA deliveries with more than 5 minutes to spare [especially if I don't bother looting] arriving with all bottles intact

• Like 1