RDR2 will have a more realistic economy

BelleStarr

In the scene where the gang are playing a card game and betting, they're betting with cents. RDR1 only used dollars, whereas RDR2 will contain cents and use them more realistically. 15 cents in 1899 = $4.55. On RDR2 merch, there is a gun being advertised for $2 shown in the video which equals to $60. Guns in this game will likely cost $2-40 which is equivalent to $60-1200, whereas in RDR, they were being sold for around $125. There is a chance that stealing from someone, betting or completing small missions, we will be rewarded with $1 ($30) or less. 

Dutch stealing $150,000 in bank notes = $4.5 million today. The gang will no doubt get pretty rich after their bank robberies, but even having $100 in your pocket is equivalent to $3k! Bounties in RDR1 would give $240 for a live bounty which is worth about $6K.

I am glad that we may be using money more realistically in the game, not getting hundreds of dollars for a mission or from stealing from people.

How do you feel about it? Do you hope that this is a definite feature in RDR2? Or do you wish it would be like RDR1?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GatoNegro said:

I didn't care about it in GTA V or RDR. I know some people were hoping for a more realistic and balanced economy in terms of earning and spending but it was something that never really crossed my mind as something that needed improvement. 

Really? It didn't bother you that cars were ridiculous amounts of money and some of the items were either far too expensive or far too cheap? It bothers me a lot.

But to be fair, I find reasons to hate things for enjoyment :D

I am glad to see it introduced too. I think it will add to the enjoyment if you have to save up for something that you want to buy. In RDR1 I bought property just for the hell of it because I had loads of money with nothing else really to spend it on. It would be more realistic and add to the immersiveness for you to have to go hunting for a few bears to get extra cash to save up for that new horse or gun you want to buy. 

Bear in mind that GTO started off with a realistic economy too. You only have to look at the price of older cars. It all changed when they realised they completely underestimated how much could be earned in certain ways, so they had to boost the car prices. Not only that, the more they charged for things, the more shark cards would be bought. Either of these scenarios could happen regardless of whether we are talking cents or millions of dollars - it is only relevant when compared to a) how much you can earn and b) how much things cost to buy. The denominations and how much you actually keep in your pocket are completely irrelevant.

I just want there to be an even balance. Like obviously we need to earn money (or steal money) to be able to buy things online. The amounts should be balanced and should remain balanced. If I am able to earn say $1000 doing something small that doesn't take up a lot of time and the price tag on better items in the game are not that high, it would be unbalanced. 

8 hours ago, Benjo said:

Bear in mind that GTO started off with a realistic economy too. You only have to look at the price of older cars. It all changed when they realised they completely underestimated how much could be earned in certain ways, so they had to boost the car prices. Not only that, the more they charged for things, the more shark cards would be bought. Either of these scenarios could happen regardless of whether we are talking cents or millions of dollars - it is only relevant when compared to a) how much you can earn and b) how much things cost to buy. The denominations and how much you actually keep in your pocket are completely irrelevant.

@Benjo you've just described an inflationary context...it's what is happening right now in my country. In an economy, if there is a lot of resources, the intrinsic value of them decreases. In this context the money loses it's value, therefore the items costs more...Don't cry for me Argentina!!!¡!

21 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Anything that helps with immersion, I am all for.

....agreed.

I'm also sure this was feedback R* paid attention to from GTAV and will try to adjust for in RDR2.  Given what they learned from GTAV, perhaps they can set up a more realistic economy in RDR2.  

• Like 1

I can't help but feel R$ went a little bit EA with their pricing and general greed in GTAO. If it's the same with RDR2 I will be BITTERLY disappointed, and I truly mean that. If there is any aspect of this game that I see as greedy or trying to f*** the user for ca$h, I'd see it as really sad. GTA, fair enough. The demographic is a bunch of whiny kids with their mum's credit card. But not RDR. Please not RDR. We are real gamers. Don't screw us too.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Benjo said:

If there is any aspect of this game that I see as greedy or trying to f*** the user for ca$h, I'd see it as really sad. GTA, fair enough. The demographic is a bunch of whiny kids with their mum's credit card. But not RDR. Please not RDR. We are real gamers. Don't screw us too.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2018 at 12:42 PM, Fribbo said:

You’ve got to consider that they were playing it in their camp, doubt they’d be gambling a load of money between friends. Especially when they are on the run and got the money from robberies.

The introduction of cents is still new though. If I remember correctly, RDR1 would involve betting a minimum of a dollar which is $30 today - you don't bet $30 a time. I think this will be seen in shops and other places, considering guns are advertised for just $2. 

11 hours ago, BelleStarr said:

The introduction of cents is still new though. If I remember correctly, RDR1 would involve betting a minimum of a dollar which is $30 today - you don't bet $30 a time. I think this will be seen in shops and other places, considering guns are advertised for just $2. 

You’ve got a good point.