Is revenge griefing?

MaryW

Question

I never, ever, ever shoot random players for no reason but if I'm getting on with my ranking grind and someone takes a potshot at me I will, if the fancy takes me, go after them and repeatedly kill them until they spawn in another server.
I've only done this several times to break up the monotony of stranger missions but I always wonder, does this make me a griefer?

15 answers to this question

It’s really a personal opinion, but if someone takes a potshot at you, the first kill is reasonable. If they continue to attack you, then defending yourself is expected. Now if you kill them, they respawn, and try to leave you alone and you chase them down and continuously kill them until they leave the server - then yeah I would call that griefing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vaderspupil said:

I wouldn't consider it so. They started it. If someone attacks me, I will kill them until I either get sick of wasting my bullets on them or they cry uncle by leaving or calling for a parlay.

I agree.  If they want to try and make my life miserable I'll do the same to them if I feel so inclined (especially with a posse), up to the point where I feel they've got the message.  Sometimes that's them simply running away, parleying or (typically) quitting the session.

I would never go as far as to follow someone to another session though.  ....or even be bothered to do so.  I will add them to my block list however.

Mind you, this is what I would do to someone who purposely tries to troll me.  I don't do this to those who engage me in missions where it's appropriate or what I feel may have been by accident, a misunderstanding or my own fault for doing something that may have seemed provocative.

Giving someone a taste of their own medicine is nowhere near the same IMO.

Edited by Kean_1
  • Like 1

I usually wait for them to approach me after I first kill them but if they do come back rootin', tootin' n shootin' then yeah, I'll chase them down (if the fancy takes me) until they go.
I personally think it is griefing. I might modify my behaviour and always just wait for them to come to me in future. But some days after several stranger missions I think, what the hell, let's have 'em! :D

3 hours ago, The Coca-Cola Kid said:

It’s really a personal opinion, but if someone takes a potshot at you, the first kill is reasonable. If they continue to attack you, then defending yourself is expected. Now if you kill them, they respawn, and try to leave you alone and you chase them down and continuously kill them until they leave the server - then yeah I would call that griefing.

And you record their GT and follow them to a different server and haunt them their non-stop, might be griefing.

The way I look at is if you shoot me and kill me for no reason and I respawn, I am going to get you back if we cross paths again. If we cross paths and you get the upper hand on me and kill me again, I am going to hunt you down for revenge. 

19 hours ago, MaryW said:

I never, ever, ever shoot random players for no reason but if I'm getting on with my ranking grind and someone takes a potshot at me I will, if the fancy takes me, go after them and repeatedly kill them until they spawn in another server.
I've only done this several times to break up the monotony of stranger missions but I always wonder, does this make me a griefer?

NO! Revenge killing, some plonker who shoots you in the back is JUSTICE!  

This depends. If someone is going around griefing people and I happen to be one of them, I usually just leave the server and rejoin to avoid having to deal with them. If they somehow manage to end up on the same server as me again, and it happens again, then I do make a point to get revenge but only if they are close by. I don't go hunting people down. 

I think I rehunt some cheeky chancers to try out another ability loadout. Pew pew but still I get dead in the head. Horseman  3 tiers.
Fashion, upper tier.
Eyes. Full of tiers.

Edited by MaryW

On 1/7/2019 at 4:21 AM, MaryW said:

That's the definition of griefing.  Revenge kill would be eye for an eye, even kill score.  

I think it is unless the person specifically was targetting you over and over again. If someone kills me once or twice, I usually don't care too much. Yeah it sucks if I lose some good stuff but it teaches me that I need to improve in certain areas of the game.