Gang hideouts

BurbonChaser

I am enjoying them and some are even challenging. It's fun to do, a change from running missions and you can even boost honor with it, when not shooting their boss. My favorites are: The Loft, Shady Bell and Bacchus Station.

39 minutes ago, BurbonChaser said:

Gang hideout missions are not worth doing as they stand as treasure maps are almost non-existent. As an alternative, R* should allow the selling of gang member weapons, horses and saddles.  What does everyone think?

Not worth doing?  

Matter of opinion I suppose but my friends and I enjoy doing them and (as mentioned) you get decent XP from them just like ambushes.  ....150 XP for clearing and then the XP for the kills.  They also drop other loot like ammo, tonics, etc. which helps. I never do them expecting I'll get rich.  I have had treasure maps populate with some of the dead though so it's always worth looting since those (although rare) can be very rewarding.

32 minutes ago, cadashka said:

I am enjoying them and some are even challenging. It's fun to do, a change from running missions and you can even boost honor with it, when not shooting their boss. My favorites are: The Loft, Shady Bell and Bacchus Station.

I've become really effective with the Long Block rifle so I like to find high ground whenever possible providing overwatch for my mates.  .....lots of fun.

One thing that has bugged me is that there are some hideout locations where if the gang leader is far enough away from the rest of the gang members, then the corpses will despawn by the time you go over to loot the leader and then back up to the main camp. So, you have to loot bodies before you have it completely cleared.

I guess I should have clarified that it was from a monetary standpoint, I do enjoy clearing them and I wil admit I don't pay much attention to xp. It's just that we need other ways to earn money besides having to kill every single animal in the game.

3 minutes ago, BurbonChaser said:

I guess I should have clarified that it was from a monetary standpoint, I do enjoy clearing them and I wil admit I don't pay much attention to xp. It's just that we need other ways to earn money besides having to kill every single animal in the game.

......and we will as more components are added to this beta and then final release.  

20 hours ago, BurbonChaser said:

Gang hideout missions are not worth doing as they stand as treasure maps are almost non-existent. As an alternative, R* should allow the selling of gang member weapons, horses and saddles.  What does everyone think?

I found two maps in one game from two different hide outs. yesterday.  

I've found so many maps now from hide outs.. that when I go a few days without finding one.  I think my lucky streak is over.

One of my friend has never found one map.  And he hates me.    

Edited by HuDawg

2 hours ago, HuDawg said:

I found two maps in one game from two different hide outs. yesterday.  

I've found so many maps now from hide outs.. that when I go a few days without finding one.  I think my lucky streak is over.

One of my friend has never found one map.  And he hates me.    

Well, I hate you to now.   😁

• Haha 1

The only time I ever got a map was a time when I let the leader go, but just as he was leaving he said something I took offence at, so I shot him.  I looted the body and found a map.  Of course, I decided that this approach must increase your chance of finding a map. 

It goes without saying I have never got another one like this, it was sheer coincidence. 

I've cleared a few hideouts & the ratio Treasure maps to cleared Hideouts ain't good, but like cadashka I like the challenge of clearing some of the Hideouts.

As a bonus, I have had 4 pamphlets too, they are worth over $400 each, so can be worth the effort.( not spurred many leaders).

As for the glitches, R*  told me to power down my Xbox via controller, disconnect power cord & wait 20 seconds & the reconnect & power on console(  it's meant to clear your cache, so they say. It might help some of you , who are experiencing those issues & more in-game glitches & bugs.

Edited by DiscoHobbit666

On 1/15/2019 at 7:59 AM, DiscoHobbit666 said:

As for the glitches, R*  told me to power down my Xbox via controller,

I wrongly advised you to power down Xbox One by controller. This  should be by holding in the power button on your Xbox One until it shuts down . after that, by disconnecting the power cord &  wait 20 seconds. Power on your Xbox  ( doesn't matter if this is by controller, console power button or audio command),.

Sorry for my error, hope it helps anyone with glitches or issues, by clearing your temporary cache.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 6:41 PM, Mark4407 said:

Done at least 2 dozen gang hideouts not had one map although our posse did several last night and 2 members found maps 

Bloody hell, I've only come across 3 and 1 of them disappeared as I got close to it 

There an easy source of xp and a bit of cash. 

I always kill the leader so lose a bit of morel though. 

21 hours ago, G IR U IB said:

Bloody hell, I've only come across 3 and 1 of them disappeared as I got close to it 

There an easy source of xp and a bit of cash. 

I always kill the leader so lose a bit of morel though. 

I've been trying to get the awards for clearing 4 gang hideouts in a single game day. I think the most I've been able to do is 3 :(

1 hour ago, Vaderspupil said:

I've been trying to get the awards for clearing 4 gang hideouts in a single game day. I think the most I've been able to do is 3 :(

That is thoroughly depressing.  I imagine once I level up and get my hands on some dynamite arrows, this will be much easier to do.

16 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

That is thoroughly depressing.  I imagine once I level up and get my hands on some dynamite arrows, this will be much easier to do.

It's the random luck of having them spawn for you. You have to be familiar with the spawn locations and hop around the map to them hoping that 4 of them will spawn within one in game day. Clearing them out is the easy part when they do spawn.

23 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

It's the random luck of having them spawn for you. You have to be familiar with the spawn locations and hop around the map to them hoping that 4 of them will spawn within one in game day. Clearing them out is the easy part when they do spawn.

Or, you can totally cheat with this: https://rdr2map.com/

The beauty is, you can sort by category to change the overlay.  It's been a lifesaver.  Granted, you still have to deal with the randomness of them actually spawning, but at least you can plot a course to give yourself as much of a chance as possible by hitting up as many as efficiently possible in an "in game day"

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Vaderspupil said:

I read somewhere that keeping a 3* animal on your horse makes them spawn, I tried it out recently since none were spawning for me. I got 3 hideouts last night  along with 2 ambushes and got 2 maps out of it. I'm going to try again the weekend, to see if it's legit or if last night was a fluke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/9/2019 at 10:23 AM, madfretter said:

I read somewhere that keeping a 3* animal on your horse makes them spawn, I tried it out recently since none were spawning for me. I got 3 hideouts last night  along with 2 ambushes and got 2 maps out of it. I'm going to try again the weekend, to see if it's legit or if last night was a fluke.

There might be something to that since I always seem to have one on the back of my when it spawns. Hasn't  seemed to help with map spawns though.

1 hour ago, Vaderspupil said:

There might be something to that since I always seem to have one on the back of my when it spawns. 

Me too.  I had a couple of *** turkeys strapped to my saddle last night, and two hideouts spawned in rapid succession.

My horse (reverse dapple Nokota) has a tendency to wander off so far in a firefight that she fast travels when I whistle, so I had to clear both without getting out of the saddle, except to deal with the leader.  She's fine once the bullets stop flying.

Not that 2 turkeys are enough to retire on, but I didn't want to lose them.