What part of the story did you not like?

riptide87

I think it has been long enough to ask. Most people should be done or nearly done with the game by now if they bought it right away. 

What part of the story would you consider bad? I am curious because I see one part, in particular, being mentioned a lot and I want to see if it holds true here.

• Like 1

Well, the “Uncharted” inspired part was not that good imho and I would have strongly preferred Mexico as backdrop for those events. I also think that the mechanics regarding camp upgrades, purchased and or made with pelts and animal parts should have had a much greater impact on the story. As it is now, some upgrades have no function as far as I know. 

I would have wished for some town and maybe even a real chapter instead of a prologue like chapter, taking place in the cold and snowy mountains. I have so many cool winter outfits but really no use for them. I would love some “hateful eight” feeling in an isolated town. 

But the game is more than great as is but one always wants more 🙂

I give the Story Narrative a "C" overall

The premise of an outlaw gang in its last days, fleeing civilization and searching for a safe place to live out their days is great, but why do they continue to migrate east, closer to civilization and big cities? And a Western without a Cattle Drive?  Some of the individual missions were fun but mostly the main story is the weakest part of the game by far.

Spoiler

Far too many lengthy cut scenes, especially early in the story.

The side trip to the island was absolutely stupid, and then having to play a dying Arthur for the rest of the game..... hated it, and almost quit  the story there. 

Epilogue 1 was like a big tutorial again, wanted to bail on the story again

I also would have like to see some multi character missions like GTAV, it would have made the transition from Arthur to John more plausible if we'd have been playing John missions from the start.  I like the idea of Arthur, Sadie and John to GTAV's Michael, Trevor and Franklin. Big whiff by R* there

Maybe closer to a C-

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Hammer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hammer said:

I give the Story Narrative a "C" overall

The premise of an outlaw gang in its last days, fleeing civilization and searching for a safe place to live out their days is great, but why do they continue to migrate east, closer to civilization and big cities? And a Western without a Cattle Drive?  Some of the individual missions were fun but mostly the main story is the weakest part of the game by far.

Hide contents

Far too many lengthy cut scenes, especially early in the story.

The side trip to the island was absolutely stupid, and then having to play a dying Arthur for the rest of the game..... hated it, and almost quit  the story there. 

Epilogue 1 was like a big tutorial again, wanted to bail on the story again

I also would have like to see some multi character missions like GTAV, it would have made the transition from Arthur to John more plausible if we'd have been playing John missions from the start.  I like the idea of Arthur, Sadie and John to GTAV's Michael, Trevor and Franklin. Big whiff by R* there

Maybe closer to a C-

Untitled.jpg

I gave you a like as I think you have some points but I do not agree with all. I for instance like to be immersed in the games I play and playing one character is in my mind way better compared to the GTAV solution. I love most of the story but yes, after the “uncharted” chapter followed by the “breaking bad” chapter, I would have preferred other kind of events. The “uncharted” chapter and the “breaking bad” ones where not really fun to play and here comes the real paradox for me. I like to be able to have all the little trinkets, weapons and such but when they become available before the epilogue Arthur has already become broken and boring to play. At that part it is just not that much fun to “role-play anymore.

So to be unbroken I need to progress to the epilogue and that to me is not really the same game anymore. I understand that others may differ in their opinion and I can really see their standpoint, but it just takes away the fun to play the ending chapters in my opinion. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, D.Henry.22.Titans said:

I've read you lose all your money and sh*t near the end. Then he dies. I'm selling the game when that happens. Thinking of maybe even quitting now, seems like a complete waste of  131hrs. 

When you finish the epilogue story as Jhon you get 20k cash.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LastUnicorn said:

When you finish the epilogue story as Jhon you get 20k cash.

True and it is a consolation, but I would have really enjoyed an option to play as Arthur as a reward for finishing the game. I do not care if it is not canonical but I just vastly prefer to play Arthur instead of Marston. 

5 hours ago, watery buffalo said:

Honestly, the thing I didn't like the most was Arthur dying. I feel like I connected more with him than John. I wanted to see the dude ride off into the sunset. His death just felt, weak. 

That is my problem with the epilogue, since I have immersed myself in Arthur’s life and ways then playing as John just feels like a sexual act that is interrupted just before climax. 

Arthur is just way better as a player character in this particular game, no matter how cool Marston is in RDR1. I am weird and old but I am now on my fourth play through and the reason is that I so much prefer playing as Arthur instead of John. I have a main save of sorts where I have collected nearly everything in the game and found everything there is but roaming around as John is just not as fun as doing the same with Arthur would have been. 

Many people I have talked with say they love the fast tempo of the later chapters and that they really love chapter 6. I am the complete opposite as I greatly prefer Arthur pre his “breaking bad” phase and it is just a pity  that I cannot enjoy the entire map as Arthur and kill all the legendary animals and so forth with the games main protagonist. Once again, all of this could be rectified by giving the player the option to play as Arthur post epilogues even if it is not canonical to the story. 

Edited by Minimoni
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, buttlint said:

I wasnt crazy about the Guarma trip. It kind of killed the western vibe and felt like I was playing any version of Farcry. I would have preferred to have spent that time in Sisika Prison picking up bars of soap off of the shower floor. 

I agree chapter 5 felt like an add on. I found the experience jarring because it took you out of the game.  My least favourite part of the game.   

• Like 1

Two things I hated.  

1st the way the story went, imho, was way too predictable.  Though I didn't know what was going to happen, I still felt I knew what was going to happen to Arthur.

2nd  was the side quest.  I felt they got in the way of the story.  They felt more natural to me after the ending then during story of Arthur.   For example, I was doing a lot of hunting, which should have been about the gangs survival, where I was doing to unlock this or that.   

• Like 1

For me, it's the lack of story following the epilogue.  I don't mean that the main story should continue past it's conclusion. I just mean all of the random encounters, bounties, robberies, gang sites, etc.   Once you become John and complete the epilogue the game world just goes dead.  It feels lifeless and there's no real reason for it. It seems to me they could have kept a lot of that going on indefinitely to enjoy as John. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Madrigalian said:

For me, it's the lack of story following the epilogue.  I don't mean that the main story should continue past it's conclusion. I just mean all of the random encounters, bounties, robberies, gang sites, etc.   Once you become John and complete the epilogue the game world just goes dead.  It feels lifeless and there's no real reason for it. It seems to me they could have kept a lot of that going on indefinitely to enjoy as John. 

For me that was where the side quests became too important.  I did most of them Arthur, so afterwards I eliminated those tasks.

I second the predictability of the overall story. There wasn't enough guess time between the major turns in the story and they kind of hinted at what was about to happen before it happened. It is like an egg was about to hatch and someone says "Oh, look, there is a crack in the egg!".

• Like 1

i was expecting Arthur to die, John also died at the end of RDR.  I like that, it's a different twist that most games don't give you.  It sometimes gets tiring playing the same character from beginning to end and then in free roam in the open world.  Not that i'd want another GTAV remake, i wasn't a fan of having to play and switch through 3 characters.  Playing as Arthur was a nice twist, although him falling down hacking up a lung near the end of the chapter did get a bit tedious.

Chapter 5 was a waste, it added nothing to the story line.  It was like Rockstar said "Oh sh*t! we're a chapter short, hurry throw something in there, we'll tie it into the end of chapter 4 somehow."

56 minutes ago, bluntTR4P said:

I second the predictability of the overall story. There wasn't enough guess time between the major turns in the story and they kind of hinted at what was about to happen before it happened. It is like an egg was about to hatch and someone says "Oh, look, there is a crack in the egg!".

we kinda knew already how the story was going to go, it had to lead to John for RDR to have happened.   I never did suspect Micah to be the rat.  He was a total waste and i wanted to kill him all throughout the game, but all his preaching about the big picture and whatnot sold me.  I was thinking Javier, since we killed him in RDR, was the mole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kormath said:

i was expecting Arthur to die, John also died at the end of RDR.  I like that, it's a different twist that most games don't give you.  It sometimes gets tiring playing the same character from beginning to end and then in free roam in the open world.  Not that i'd want another GTAV remake, i wasn't a fan of having to play and switch through 3 characters.  Playing as Arthur was a nice twist, although him falling down hacking up a lung near the end of the chapter did get a bit tedious.

Chapter 5 was a waste, it added nothing to the story line.  It was like Rockstar said "Oh sh*t! we're a chapter short, hurry throw something in there, we'll tie it into the end of chapter 4 somehow."

we kinda knew already how the story was going to go, it had to lead to John for RDR to have happened.   I never did suspect Micah to be the rat.  He was a total waste and i wanted to kill him all throughout the game, but all his preaching about the big picture and whatnot sold me.  I was thinking Javier, since we killed him in RDR, was the mole.

Good points, but the boring part of playing Arthur when he gets the TB is that he becomes so gimped. They could have kept his TB as a story element but do we as players need to suffer the all too many penalties to the cores and we cannot even eat or drink to help balancing that issue?

The TB should have been a story event and Arthur could have looked like hell but all the penalties to the overall gameplay just makes me want to skip through those last chapter/missions as fast as possible as the joy of exploring is dead by then.

Someone also mentioned that the game world dies after the epilogue when we are rewarded with a lot of money to be used for the purpose to explore and play in the sandbox made by R*. But why should we? There are almost no enemy gang activity, no women needing saving because their horse fell and died, more or less no random events at all and it really makes the game world feel more like a desert than a sandbox. There are no reason to make the random events rarer post epilogue, quite the opposite should be true and it would make the game feel way more fun to play post epilogue. It cannot be difficult for R* to implement those same random events that are active during the main campaign to also be active during free roam and the free roam needs it. I want local gangs to start brawls or shootouts at saloons, I just want a more active sandbox in free roam compared to what it is now and maybe that would make it fun to play as Marston. 

Edited by Minimoni
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Minimoni said:

Good points, but the boring part of playing Arthur when he gets the TB is that he becomes so gimped. They could have kept his TB as a story element but do we as players need to suffer the all too many penalties to the cores and we cannot even eat or drink to help balancing that issue?

Yes, why else even have TB in the story?  To not have the penalties would be like playing a demo derby game and not have your car effected by the damage, just look damaged.  Pointless.

The TB should have been a story event and Arthur could have looked like hell but all the penalties to the overall gameplay just makes me want to skip through those last chapter/missions as fast as possible as the joy of exploring is dead by then.

No it's not, you can still hunt, explore, etc. just as effectively as before. 

The TB cut scenes aren't triggered out in the wild hunting.  sure he coughs now and then,  his rings deplete faster, but if you've been hunting previously (and have the legendary satchel) the rings/core are easily restored with food.  Eat a thyme, oregano, or mint seasoned meat, you get a gold core that doesn't deplete for 24 hours i think it is, then you just eat another. 

Someone also mentioned that the game world dies after the epilogue when we are rewarded with a lot of money to be used for the purpose to explore and play in the sandbox made by R*. But why should we? There are almost no enemy gang activity, no women needing saving because their horse fell and died, more or less no random events at all and it really makes the game world feel more like a desert than a sandbox.

Sounds like you've never played an open world game after completing the game,  the story is over, why would you have side content to what's been finished?  makes no sense.  the emptiness makes it easier to complete the items needed (if you have any) for 100%, or to find the last few animals to complete all the trapper crafting items, etc.  The game actually ended at chapter 6,  Epilogue is nothing more than to lead into RDR.

I really can't think of anything I didn't like. There were certainly parts I like more than others but there really wasn't any aspect of the story I felt was dumb or bad. Everything flowed well and we got enough character detailing to keep the story moving forward. Yeah, I do get why people think it was predictable but if you have seen enough old west films, anything like this would be. 

4 hours ago, Kormath said:

Yes, why else even have TB in the story?  To not have the penalties would be like playing a demo derby game and not have your car effected by the damage, just look damaged.  Pointless.

No it's not, you can still hunt, explore, etc. just as effectively as before. 

The TB cut scenes aren't triggered out in the wild hunting.  sure he coughs now and then,  his rings deplete faster, but if you've been hunting previously (and have the legendary satchel) the rings/core are easily restored with food.  Eat a thyme, oregano, or mint seasoned meat, you get a gold core that doesn't deplete for 24 hours i think it is, then you just eat another. 

Sounds like you've never played an open world game after completing the game,  the story is over, why would you have side content to what's been finished?  makes no sense.  the emptiness makes it easier to complete the items needed (if you have any) for 100%, or to find the last few animals to complete all the trapper crafting items, etc.  The game actually ended at chapter 6,  Epilogue is nothing more than to lead into RDR.

I played many open world games before RDR2, almost all games nowadays are open world in one way or the other. There is really no need to be snarky just because I do not share all your opinions, is there!? 

If the later chapters became boring to play because of the penalties the TB inflicted, then it is not implemented good enough as the purpose of the game is to have fun. You do not agree on this point and that is fine but denying that the penalties actually do not gimp the character is just plain wrong. 

Regarding the open world part, there are a lot more to do in many of the AC games after completion  and I do not even like them. I did not say that there should be missions or stranger-events post completion but random events like I mentioned earlier, like attacks from gangs and people needing help because their horse died and such is not to much to ask for. The world is deader than dead after completion and if one wants to fight without getting the law after you, there are very limited places that one can do that since all gangs have more or less vanished. In the AC games or even HZD there are many enemy camps or robots to battle. R* should definitely have made it possible to rustle cattle and rob banks in free roam as it is such an integral part of the old west theme. 

On 2/4/2019 at 8:01 PM, Madrigalian said:

This mirrors my opinion exact and with way less words than I with my most limited knowledge of English could produce. 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, Madrigalian said:

Or it was an intentional effort by R* to encourage you to play the online game and buy gold bars.  I'm certain that was behind the decision to give Arthur a disease rather than kill him off in the last chapter. Had we been able to play a healthy Arthur all the way until the last mission many of us just wouldn't have completed it. Or saved the game and gone back to that point.

R* made sure we didn't have that option so they could sell us gold bars, I'm sure they also planned to have RDRO completed by then, which didn't happen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

Or it was an intentional effort by R* to encourage you to play the online game and buy gold bars.  I'm certain that was behind the decision to give Arthur a disease rather than kill him off in the last chapter. Had we been able to play a healthy Arthur all the way until the last mission many of us just wouldn't have completed it. Or saved the game and gone back to that point.

R* made sure we didn't have that option so they could sell us gold bars, I'm sure they also planned to have RDRO completed by then, which didn't happen

I am certain that you are partly correct and that fact makes that part even more jarring. I personally hate the online part and I rather play other games instead of playing RDR2O. 

I just want to clarify something so people do not miss understand me and my opinions on RDR2, the game is still all things considered one of and even perhaps THE best game this generation. But having opinions on parts that could improve is never a bad thing and in the end it is we, the customers that will benefit by talking about what we like and not like about games. 

I just got to the epilogues and the one thing I wonder from reading the above posts is, what if we played the story missions and not anything on the side (within reason), would all of that material be available once you become John?

I have the desire to go buy RDR for the XBox (have PS3 version but machine is out of commission) 

10 hours ago, Cliffs said:

what if we played the story missions and not anything on the side (within reason), would all of that material be available once you become John?

Most of the side missions are not missable, but a few are,  you can find lists online easy enough.

The problen with that strategy is you wouldn't unlock many items until there is no real use for them, The Legend of the East satchel for example comes in handy and you should complete that one as soon as possible.

I hated the story missions, Dutch was always sending Bill out to find me. 

As open world as the game is, I disliked how linear the story line was. Would have been nice to have some variable endings, not just a different cut scene that lead to the same ending. Lol. I felt short changed on the last chapter and the epilogues. Especially after finishing epilogue 2. Epilogues felt really rushed. Get rid of Guarma and take more time on the ending I say. 

• Like 1

Although I thought the game was brilliant and enjoyed it, a few things that I think they fell short on and ended up annoying me...

1. Lack of interactions with other camp mates. The trailer was misleading when it said "spend time with and get to know your gang members". By this I thought that we would be able to actually invite gang members to go drinking, fishing, hunting, robbing etc with whomever we wanted, when we wanted. Instead you are limited to the handful of side missions that the game gives you which completely disappear from about chapter 4 onwards. 

2. Is there any actual point in killing an animal and stowing it on your horse to take back to camp, rather than just skinning it there and then and handing the meat to Pearson? I think I did it once at the beginning of the game then realised there was no point bringing each animal back individually when you can just skin 3-4 animals whilst out and bring all the meat back at once saving you time. Pointless mechanic. 

3. What was the point in including the whole of the old RDR1 map in the game when we can't even access it until the epilogue, and even then there is absolutely nothing to do there. I was pleased when I heard the old map would feature in the game and was excited about what old places and characters we would encounter from RDR1. How disappointed was I when I realised absolutely none. Again, completely pointless, might aswell have saved some GB and not included it. 

4. Similar to 3 - you take us off to guarma but won't even let us explore the island? Thought this was supposed to be an open world game!

5. Lack of customisation of clothing. So many shirts, all look the same as the last. And why can't we choose whether we have an open collar?

4 hours ago, debbo89 said:

2. Is there any actual point in killing an animal and stowing it on your horse to take back to camp, rather than just skinning it there and then and handing the meat to Pearson?

you have to do that once for 100%, and there a few camp upgrades that require the carcass, not just the hide.

3. What was the point in including the whole of the old RDR1 map in the game when we can't even access it until the epilogue, and even then there is absolutely nothing to do there. I was pleased when I heard the old map would feature in the game and was excited about what old places and characters we would encounter from RDR1. How disappointed was I when I realised absolutely none. Again, completely pointless, might aswell have saved some GB and not included it. 

So many people forget this is a prequel to RDR.  I agree they could have done a lot more with that area, but i did like some of the background that was revealed about John prior to RDR.

4. Similar to 3 - you take us off to guarma but won't even let us explore the island? Thought this was supposed to be an open world game!

Agreed, total waste of time chapter 5 was.

5. Lack of customisation of clothing. So many shirts, all look the same as the last. And why can't we choose whether we have an open collar?

It's the wild west, there really wasn't that much for options back then, not like now when there's a designer on every street corner and every celeb almost has their own line.  Back then you had a couple main brands, most of them used the same pattern for shirts, but then varied with the piping and other decoration.  

You had pretty much one brand of jeans, or locally made cotton or canvas trousers (cotton in cold months, canvas in the warm).  Levi's were the main brand and started mass producing jeans around 1870.  Years later Wrangler and Lee came into the picture.  Actually Wrangler didn't start until just before WW2, they were first called Hudson Overalls, which started in the early 1900s, then changed to Blue Bell in the 1920s, then Blue Bell bought out Casey Jones and started using their brand Wrangler.  So if you go by that, you had Levi's from 1870s until Hudson Overalls just after the turn of the century.  Lee jeans started around 1890 but didn't start making jeans until the 1920's, they made work overalls mostly sold to miners and factory workers until they got into the jeans business. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 1:41 PM, Kormath said:

Agreed, total waste of time chapter 5 was.

I tried to explore the area more thoroughly, but the hunted status means you can barely come out of the mountains without a patrol homing straight in on you. It's especially frustrating because there are several animals unique to Guarma that need to be studied, tracked, and skinned/plucked to complete the compendum or whatever it's called. I also believe there's a tigershark carcass somewhere on the island that needs to be studied, but you have to glitch the game to do it and can't do it in normal gameplay.