Jump to content

Player traps?


Suck3rPunch3d
 Share

Recommended Posts

Did anyone notice any patterns others are using to trap players and then kill them?

A friend of mine said that there is some group that will do really stupid things to get other players to notice them and soon as they let their guard down, they gun for them. I don't know if this is an actual thing. Like for players to actually plan ways to kill other players by using some kind of trap system or what. He wanted me to ask. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, that could all change when the update comes out later this month.  Griefers are going to have to give up doing what they do or change tactics.  The more devious among them will certainly find ways but let's hope it's enough to make others rethink what they do.

As it is right now, it's just too easy to grief other players so I think the temptation is there for more players to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the only "trap" i really know is in bars.

you'll be in there just hanging out and one will walk in, do a friendly wave or two, hang out... then it happens.

i think they want to get the kill people when drunk achievement, soooo... then go over have a few drinks... and BAM! shooting!

i've learned that this happens and always go on guard when this kind of thing starts. its fun!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was hunting for a wolf in a stranger mission once, and as I went to pick up the wolf, I was instantly shot, snipered actually. He stole the wolf and dropped it off in tumbleweed, right in the middle of town. Of course his posse was there waiting for me but it didn't fall for it, it was too obvious. At that point I wasn't going to go up against a five-man posse for a wolf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jackthestripper said:

I was hunting for a wolf in a stranger mission once, and as I went to pick up the wolf, I was instantly shot, snipered actually. He stole the wolf and dropped it off in tumbleweed, right in the middle of town. Of course his posse was there waiting for me but it didn't fall for it, it was too obvious. At that point I wasn't going to go up against a five-man posse for a wolf.

Textbook griefing and trolling right there.....

Had a posse of 7 sit outside our mission objective at the il fields last night (had to steal horses).  Against my little voice screaming NO, we started he mission, stole the horses and went to deliver them.  The posse followed and I actually made it to the drop off point but because of the requirement to "hitch your horse" I wouldn't have been able to complete the mission.  I blew myself and the horse up.  

The posse at that point decided to grief us with continual kills vs. trying to complete the mission objective.  Neither of us fought back and we spent the time blocking each of the seven players before finally switching sessions.  

Normally, I won't even start engage in missions with other players nearby.  There is no balance in this game currently and I for one can't wait to see how the new anti-griefing measures will affect gameplay in this regard. 

That posse last night we encountered had 2 players over level 100 IIRC and others higher than me (I was about lvl 52).  What fun is that?  I would have been fine with the whole encounter had they played the mission and went on their way but that wasn't about to happen.  They simply wanted to spoil the mission for us and then continually cause grief.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kean_1 said:

Textbook griefing and trolling right there.....

Had a posse of 7 sit outside our mission objective at the il fields last night (had to steal horses).  Against my little voice screaming NO, we started he mission, stole the horses and went to deliver them.  The posse followed and I actually made it to the drop off point but because of the requirement to "hitch your horse" I wouldn't have been able to complete the mission.  I blew myself and the horse up.  

The posse at that point decided to grief us with continual kills vs. trying to complete the mission objective.  Neither of us fought back and we spent the time blocking each of the seven players before finally switching sessions.  

Normally, I won't even start engage in missions with other players nearby.  There is no balance in this game currently and I for one can't wait to see how the new anti-griefing measures will affect gameplay in this regard. 

That posse last night we encountered had 2 players over level 100 IIRC and others higher than me (I was about lvl 52).  What fun is that?  I would have been fine with the whole encounter had they played the mission and went on their way but that wasn't about to happen.  They simply wanted to spoil the mission for us and then continually cause grief.

 

 Sorry you went through that, it's getting worse and worse. It really does ruin the fun for others when super high levels are griefing lower levels. I'm just about to hit Level 40 myself, and yesterday I was griefed by a level 90 or 95 constantly coming into my camp.  I tried to chase him out and he shot me down with some kind of high-powered ammo. He wouldn't let me come back to my camp, he was shooting up the place. He just kept shooting me. As a matter of fact,  while he was shooting me in my camp with the white flag up at the beginning,  my health was deteriorating even though I was in my camp. When I did make it back, I waited till he let his guard down, lowered the white flag and drilled him with a repeating shotgun right in my camp. As for starting missions with pink lips around, very rarely will I do that anymore. And thank God for the block feature!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a few different groups I have run across that will post outside of bars in major cities. They wait to see players playing alone roam through or in small groups (2 or 3). Then one of their dudes will trail them until the player(s) decide to stop and fire at them. Then the entire group will show up and just mow them down. I guess this is considered a trap. Happened to me 2 times. I tend to avoid areas where a lot of people are just sitting still in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only traps if you can call it that, was this weekend when I would join random Posses.  Shortly after spawning in, I would be kicked from the Posse and they would attack immediately.  

A friend was telling me that his group will find a fishing hole near a populated area, they will have only 1 or 2  fish and the others will find a nearby hiding spot and kneel down and wait for anyone to come and start stuff.  Then they will mow them down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:09 PM, Kean_1 said:

That posse last night we encountered had 2 players over level 100 IIRC and others higher than me (I was about lvl 52).  What fun is that?  I would have been fine with the whole encounter had they played the mission and went on their way but that wasn't about to happen.  They simply wanted to spoil the mission for us and then continually cause grief.

I think we need to stop calling them griefers and call them what they really are.  Player Killers..

RD O encourages it..  Rewards, mission objectives, honor system.    Spoiling the mission is encouraged.. (Not sure why but it is)

Theres also a huge difference too between spring chicken player killers and experienced ones.  

I know a few friends who turned to the dark side and have started killing players and ruining players missions.. Mostly because out of pure boredom.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HuDawg said:

I think we need to stop calling them griefers and call them what they really are.  Player Killers..

You're welcome to call them what you want but in my book, examples like mine are clear examples of people whose only interest is to harass and irritate other players.  ......in other words, griefing.  Hell even R* uses the term in describing these folks.

We call them griefers, you call them player killers.  I'm ok with that as I'm not prepared to start quibbling over semantics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, virgil_caine said:

Griefers make the mundane open world exciting if you ask me. I either kill them or if they get too annoying I simply join a different session.

 

some people are born to be victims....

Funny that, you can apply it to real life not just gaming. lol I personally haven't had a huge issue with griefers. Had a few that bothered me but most will get bored if you ignore them or like you said, just hop off and onto another session.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, HuDawg said:

RD O encourages it..  Rewards, mission objectives, honor system.    Spoiling the mission is encouraged.. (Not sure why but it is)

I know a few friends who turned to the dark side and have started killing players and ruining players missions.. Mostly because out of pure boredom.

"Griefing" and "ruining players missions" are two completely different things.  

Just randomly riding up and killing someone (especially repeatedly) is griefing - the player doing the killing gets no reward, and the person being killed has done nothing to bring it upon themself.  They are likley to lose any pelts/carcasses they had collected, and probably had no chance to defent themselves.

However, once you have started a stranger mission, you have (whether you like it or not), as the game is set up at present, deliberately entered a competitive play mode.  Other players are invited to attack you, and if they can meet their objective, they "win" the mission, and you "lose" the mission.

I don't like griefers, but if I go and start a stranger mission in an area where there are already lots of players, I expect to be attacked.  That actually is the game as written.  In fact, if this is a Wild West cowboy/outlaw game (and I think it is), then waiting for other players to start a mission, such as caravan escort or mail delivery, and then attacking them, is about as legitimate part of the game as you could hope for.

If you want to be an outlaw, there's your outlet right there, attack other player's missions, for which you get cash and xp rewards.  Not comparable to simply killing a random fisherman or a hunter heading to the butcher, for which (other than the nominal xp for the kill) you're not rewarded at all.

While I am a friendly player (currently running at max honour), and don't often mess with other players' missions, I don't understand the attitude that some people seem to have that it is their god-given right to complete their mission and get the rewards, and that someone else attacking them is being unreasonable.  It's not like the npcs who are sent to stop you are a genuine threat.  Even for a low level player, they're little more than a bump in the road.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

You're welcome to call them what you want but in my book, examples like mine are clear examples of people whose only interest is to harass and irritate other players.  ......in other words, griefing.  Hell even R* uses the term in describing these folks.

Im just sayin'. 


They literally built the game around pandering to 'player killers' and then turn around and babble something about 'griefers'.

Free roam missions.. all encourage players to attack the other players on missions.   Theres even XP and Gold to be earned for killing players that track your progression.

Soon R* will add 'daily objectives'.  Which no doubt will be something like 'Kill 20 players'.

2 hours ago, Harlock1796 said:

Just randomly riding up and killing someone (especially repeatedly) is griefing - the player doing the killing gets no reward, and the person being killed has done nothing to bring it upon themself.   

Actually the players gets XP and even more xp and gold depending on the progressions rewards.   It also helps players keep their 'honor' low to be able to play certain missions.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The whole point of this game is to become a more powerful player.  You earn xp to rank up in order to have access to more powerful weapons and abilities.  You earn money in order to purchase and upgrade more powerful weapons and abilities.

The hunting, the fishing , the herb picking, the completion of challenges ALL support you becoming a more powerful player.

Is the purpose of this game to simply exist in this world and everyone goes about their own peaceful ways hunting and fishing and herb picking?  What a boring game if that's the case.

No, this game is a predator-prey game.  If you're not hunting, you're being hunted.  You're in this world to survive and not just simply exist in a nice little village.  Surviving means taking out other players when you deem necessary.  Perhaps they pose a threat to YOU, or maybe they're killing all the birds that YOU want to kill, or maybe they're trying finish a mission but YOU need the money in order to become stronger (or not weaker), etc.  

YOU must dominate in this game if YOU don't want to be dominated.

Anyone who feels they should have veto powers on being killed may want to reconsider playing online.  Heck, almost every mission in the story mode involved some kind of kill-or-be-killed idea!!!  What kind of game did you think this was?  What is YOUR purpose for earning xp and money? 

And just to be clear, I fully support the implementation of anti-griefing measures.  However, I think many players griping about griefing are simply those that have been killed by someone else in the game.  Words matter.  "Griefing" is different than losing some pelts because some player shot you for reasons unbeknownst to you.  Griefing is the repeated harassment of other players and that should be taken care of. However, just because you didn't want to be killed does not mean that you fell victim to a griefer.  Maybe playing online was not such a good idea for those that think otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Xped said:

The whole point of this game is to become a more powerful player.  You earn xp to rank up in order to have access to more powerful weapons and abilities.  You earn money in order to purchase and upgrade more powerful weapons and abilities.

The hunting, the fishing , the herb picking, the completion of challenges ALL support you becoming a more powerful player.

Is the purpose of this game to simply exist in this world and everyone goes about their own peaceful ways hunting and fishing and herb picking?  What a boring game if that's the case.

No, this game is a predator-prey game.  If you're not hunting, you're being hunted.  You're in this world to survive and not just simply exist in a nice little village.  Surviving means taking out other players when you deem necessary.  Perhaps they pose a threat to YOU, or maybe they're killing all the birds that YOU want to kill, or maybe they're trying finish a mission but YOU need the money in order to become stronger (or not weaker), etc.  

YOU must dominate in this game if YOU don't want to be dominated.

Anyone who feels they should have veto powers on being killed may want to reconsider playing online.  Heck, almost every mission in the story mode involved some kind of kill-or-be-killed idea!!!  What kind of game did you think this was?  What is YOUR purpose for earning xp and money? 

And just to be clear, I fully support the implementation of anti-griefing measures.  However, I think many players griping about griefing are simply those that have been killed by someone else in the game.  Words matter.  "Griefing" is different than losing some pelts because some player shot you for reasons unbeknownst to you.  Griefing is the repeated harassment of other players and that should be taken care of. However, just because you didn't want to be killed does not mean that you fell victim to a griefer.  Maybe playing online was not such a good idea for those that think otherwise.

 

I LOVE YOU! HAVE MY BABIES!!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back on topic of player traps.....

I had a recent run in with a 100+ lvl player in the town of Tumbleweed.  Two of us rode into town while the other player went about his business.  Neither of us bothered with each other as we went to each store, stable, etc.  When I went to the butcher however and finally exited, he shot at me.  I looked and realized he appeared to be in the building next to the gunsmith.  Since the bldg isn't accessible (AFAIK), I suspected he was on the roof.  

His first shot either missed or had no effect but both of us were able to move away from his LOS.  It was then I realized he was glitched inside of the building.  He would try to partially clip through the front door and take shots at us but there was no way to get to him.  I even tried dynamite. 

I'm guessing he found a way to glitch into the bldg and then would shoot unsuspecting people from there.  Either way, his exploits were short lived as both my friend and I got a blue screen soon after it all started.  

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...