Malingers and Dropouts

Jimblob

Malingerers and Dropouts in story missions. The last 3 times I have been offered the Bob Crawfish mission we have been unable to complete it due to one player not chasing the gang allowing one of them to escape. The last time I was offered the Fort Mercer mission two dropped out as soon as the battle started and the third just hung around the Marshal's camp and did nothing to help so I had no choice but to dropout of the mission myself.  New funtimes for griefers I suppose.

Also noted these players have all been >100 rank

Edited by Jimblob

There is a slight chance in some missions that people are trying to keep the mission going in order to maximize grinding. Although in the example you mention I doubt it. The Fort Mercer mission is a good grinder and it might have been that the 2 dropping out wanted to do the mission with just 2 but couldn't get you and the other one to leave by kick system.

26 minutes ago, Jimblob said:

Malingerers and Dropouts in story missions. The last 3 times I have been offered the Bob Crawfish mission we have been unable to complete it due to one player not chasing the gang allowing one of them to escape. The last time I was offered the Fort Mercer mission two dropped out as soon as the battle started and the third just hung around the Marshal's camp and did nothing to help so I had no choice but to dropout of the mission myself.  New funtimes for griefers I suppose.

Also noted these players have all been >100 rank

something like that  happened to me in the fort mercer mission. we were three players. I go to the fort to carry out the mission and the other two players  ride to the south, further and further away.
I had to abandon the mission. alone it's impossible for me.

also these players were all> 100 level  !!!!

6 minutes ago, peppino79 said:

something like that  happened to me in the fort mercer mission. we were three players. I go to the fort to carry out the mission and the other two players  ride to the south, further and further away.
I had to abandon the mission. alone it's impossible for me.

also these players were all> 100 level  !!!!

If that WAS their intention, i wish i had the ability to strip their level, and bring them back to level 1, losing all their stuff!

Its so unfair, people trying to ruin it for others.. Those are the ones we should all team up, and kill together.. Over and over again! 😧

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLawDiz said:

If that WAS their intention, i wish i had the ability to strip their level, and bring them back to level 1, losing all their stuff!

Its so unfair, people trying to ruin it for others.. Those are the ones we should all team up, and kill together.. Over and over again! 😧

How is it ruining it? They are doing that because the longer you take at the mission the more exp and me money you get, maxing out at $60 and 1057 exp. While also being able to hunt and dynamite fish and sell stuff during the wait. So it's benefiting you, not hurting you. Unless you like getting 200 exp and $10.

That's partially how those high ranks got their ranks. Same formula goes for free roam missions, wait until the last 10 seconds before turning in and you get more at a maximum of $30 and 747 exp. Again hunting and fishing while you're able to. 

Don't hate on people who know how to maximize their time.

5 minutes ago, Renascent said:

How is it ruining it? They are doing that because the longer you take at the mission the more exp and me money you get, maxing out at $60 and 1057 exp. While also being able to hunt and dynamite fish and sell stuff during the wait. So it's benefiting you, not hurting you. Unless you like getting 200 exp and $10.

That's partially how those high ranks got their ranks. Same formula goes for free roam missions, wait until the last 10 seconds before turning in and you get more at a maximum of $30 and 747 exp. Again hunting and fishing while you're able to. 

Did you consider the fact, that the reason i wrote what i did, is because i did NOT know that was their intention? 🙂 Chill down!

- I have like others experienced players, who dont do it for any benefit, either than ruining the experience for others.. So i am a bit Skeptic! :)

7 minutes ago, McLawDiz said:

Did you consider the fact, that the reason i wrote what i did, is because i did NOT know that was their intention? 🙂 Chill down!

- I have like others experienced players, who dont do it for any benefit, either than ruining the experience for others.. So i am a bit Skeptic! :)

I am chill. I am just explaining what they were doing.

And I've come across a lot of people that can't comprehend how the high ranks got ranked so fast and label it as hacking or some other thing.

images.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Renascent said:

A lot of it has to do with people not mic'ing up or communicating in PUGs.  Two weeks ago I ran into two players in a mission who explained to me what they were doing, and I was more than happy to go along with the plan.  It ended up being quite enjoyable--much more so than aimlessly wandering around the map trying to grind out pelts for cash.

This game was designed for grouping up, there's no two-ways about it.  I loathe grouping with randoms, but I got lucky and found a couple groups to float in and out of who are of a similar mindset, and clear communication does a lot to make the game more enjoyable in the absence of actual endgame content or a "passive' toggle.  Now, when I'm on, I actively look to group up because the game is a completely different experience than playing solo.

1 hour ago, McLawDiz said:

Its so unfair, people trying to ruin it for others..

They probably should have told you what they were doing, or they assumed you were aware of the exploit that R* has built into missions.  The intent isn't to "ruin it for others"--it's to help others maximize their time in the game.   Every group I've been a part of the last two weeks has implemented this strategy to get the biggest XP and $$$ payout from the mission they're playing.  Once someone explained it to me, I was more than happy to go along for the ride.  It also made the game far more enjoyable as I met some fun players to talk to, and eventually group with in Free Roam.  

And let me tell you, riding in a group of three or four in Free Roam has been a game-changer.  Duos and single players keep an  eye on you from afar, but they don't dare get close.  Safety in numbers is a very real thing in the FR experience.  But getting back to the groups; if you want to smash out missions as quickly as possible, you're probably better off finding a group of like-minded individuals and forming a posse, or else talking to the people in your pugs about what you want to do instead of judging them for having a different (albeit legitimate) strategy for completing the mission.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

A lot of it has to do with people not mic'ing up or communicating in PUGs.  Two weeks ago I ran into two players in a mission who explained to me what they were doing, and I was more than happy to go along with the plan.  It ended up being quite enjoyable--much more so than aimlessly wandering around the map trying to grind out pelts for cash.

This game was designed for grouping up, there's no two-ways about it.  I loathe grouping with randoms, but I got lucky and found a couple groups to float in and out of who are of a similar mindset, and clear communication does a lot to make the game more enjoyable in the absence of actual endgame content or a "passive' toggle.  Now, when I'm on, I actively look to group up because the game is a completely different experience than playing solo.

They probably should have told you what they were doing, or they assumed you were aware of the exploit that R* has built into missions.  The intent isn't to "ruin it for others"--it's to help others maximize their time in the game.   Every group I've been a part of the last two weeks has implemented this strategy to get the biggest XP and $$$ payout from the mission they're playing.  Once someone explained it to me, I was more than happy to go along for the ride.  It also made the game far more enjoyable as I met some fun players to talk to, and eventually group with in Free Roam.  

And let me tell you, riding in a group of three or four in Free Roam has been a game-changer.  Duos and single players keep an  eye on you from afar, but they don't dare get close.  Safety in numbers is a very real thing in the FR experience.  But getting back to the groups; if you want to smash out missions as quickly as possible, you're probably better off finding a group of like-minded individuals and forming a posse, or else talking to the people in your pugs about what you want to do instead of judging them for having a different (albeit legitimate) strategy for completing the mission.

I did overlook that in my response. Personally I've met a few cool people by letting them know what we were doing if there was just 3 of us and we get a random if we didn't ready up fast enough.

And I can attest to grouping up being a game changer. The thing with delaying missions and being in a large posse really sped up my ranking. Also allowed me to learn from them and the things we experienced together.

I'd invite you @BropolloCreed79 to join us some time if you like. Most of us are 100+ but there are some lower too. Usually there's enough online to form two posses or more. Loyal yet rambunctious group lol. Add me if you like. I'll be online in a couple hours.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Renascent said:

I am chill. I am just explaining what they were doing.

And I've come across a lot of people that can't comprehend how the high ranks got ranked so fast and label it as hacking or some other thing.

images.jpeg

Ok! I learned something today! , been far more into a new run trough in the story mode.

What is it people do to max out the missions? - When we start on ex the Fort mission, what is it people do, that can max out money and xp? I dont get it 😮

15 minutes ago, McLawDiz said:

Ok! I learned something today! , been far more into a new run trough in the story mode.

What is it people do to max out the missions? - When we start on ex the Fort mission, what is it people do, that can max out money and xp? I dont get it 😮

Clear the fort, after you kill Samson's partner set a timer for 25 minutes but don't blow up the supplies until 25 minutes has gone by. During that time you just do whatever, hunt, fish, pick flowers, take a nap, make dinner. For whatever reason Rockstar felt that they should reward you for how long it takes you to do the mission rather than how fast.

Also big tip, Do NOT die. One death is acceptable but try not to. Take out the dude with the machine gun first, most people duck inside the cabin directly to the left just be careful there's a guy in there with a shotgun. I've found it easier to tackle and execute rather than just try to shoot him. Samson's partner can be difficult as you are better off shooting him through the window rather than kicking the door open cuz he too has a shotgun.

Edited by Renascent
More info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, peppino79 said:

only I think this system is profoundly wrong? it does not reward the ability or the speed of the player to complete the missions ...

It is wrong but that's just the way it is for the time being or rather working as intended.

1 hour ago, Renascent said:

The thing with delaying missions and being in a large posse really sped up my ranking. Also allowed me to learn from them and the things we experienced together.

That's the biggest takeaway from all this.  If someone is looking to level and practice game mechanics, this is the best option via grouping for story missions.

Thanks for the invite.  I'll be on the lookout when I'm online, but given locales and time zones, I'm more likely to be online when folks on the US West coast are playing (UTC-8:00), even though I'm on EST (UTC-5:00, right now, -4:00 in the spring and summer).  Reason being, I wait until everyone else in the house is asleep, so there's nights I don't get on until 2200 or 2300.

22 minutes ago, peppino79 said:

only I think this system is profoundly wrong? it does not reward the ability or the speed of the player to complete the missions ...

Not that I have official confirmation, but in discussing this issue elsewhere and on these forums, but it's been speculated that this is by design:  that there may have been the intent to have this act as a "soft cap" for players so they didn't just burn through missions to boost XP and power-level with good groups.  And it makes sense, from R*'s perspective--having a coordinated group of players grinding out six or seven missions (or more) in an hour and maximizing XP is probably not in the best interests of player retention when you could reward playing two or three missions an hour and maximize the XP/payouts.

Not saying I agree with the decision or the logic, but I can understand the intent.

10 minutes ago, Renascent said:

It is wrong but that's just the way it is for the time being or rather working as intended.

I have a feeling that this will be tweaked when the game "goes gold" and the beta tag is removed.  They'll examine the metrics and analytics to find "the sweet spot" which will probably look more like a Bell Curve for the rewards on missions; too fast, and players won't maximize their ROI, too long, and there will be diminishing returns.  They'll have to balance it to prevent exploits like folks loading up on XP/materials within the missions.

One thing I hope they don't do is put proximity markers on the missions or barriers to other parts of the map, but I have a sneaking suspicion that R* is probably looking at those methods to prevent what's currently happening.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

That is the thing that kind of helps and hurts the game for a lot of people. Some people, like me at times, like to run solo. Sometimes I play late at night so mic'ing up isn't an option. I live with 3 other people who all work. I am sure they will have something to ease the burden of not grouping up and allowing the game to still be enjoyable (private lobbies/servers for example) but it won't likely happen until they are out of beta testing.

8 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Thanks for the invite.  I'll be on the lookout when I'm online, but given locales and time zones, I'm more likely to be online when folks on the US West coast are playing (UTC-8:00), even though I'm on EST (UTC-5:00, right now, -4:00 in the spring and summer).  Reason being, I wait until everyone else in the house is asleep, so there's nights I don't get on until 2200 or 2300.

Technically I'm awake around midnight but for work lol. Only on the weekends am I free anytime. The others are still up though. I'm Central, so I'm usually on from 11:30am until about latest 8pm.

4 hours ago, FLIP said:

That is the thing that kind of helps and hurts the game for a lot of people. Some people, like me at times, like to run solo. Sometimes I play late at night so mic'ing up isn't an option. I live with 3 other people who all work. I am sure they will have something to ease the burden of not grouping up and allowing the game to still be enjoyable (private lobbies/servers for example) but it won't likely happen until they are out of beta testing.

Rockstar said "Explore the world solo or with friends" along with  "We also ask for your help in keeping Red Dead Online a fun and fair environment for everyone" so maybe it's just another result of "It's still in beta." 

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/online

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60711/Red-Dead-Online-Beta

19 hours ago, Renascent said:

Clear the fort, after you kill Samson's partner set a timer for 25 minutes but don't blow up the supplies until 25 minutes has gone by. During that time you just do whatever, hunt, fish, pick flowers, take a nap, make dinner. For whatever reason Rockstar felt that they should reward you for how long it takes you to do the mission rather than how fast.

Also big tip, Do NOT die. One death is acceptable but try not to. Take out the dude with the machine gun first, most people duck inside the cabin directly to the left just be careful there's a guy in there with a shotgun. I've found it easier to tackle and execute rather than just try to shoot him. Samson's partner can be difficult as you are better off shooting him through the window rather than kicking the door open cuz he too has a shotgun.

In our experience we set it on about 30 minutes. If you die add 5 more minutes and with 2 team lives lost add 10 minutes.

General mission payout for a posse member is 0.32 to 0.34 gold, 750 to 1100 xp (kill xp not counted) and in between 50 to 70 USD. A posse leader gets a bit more.

Depending on the spawnrate and quality of animals you can get around 60 to 120 USD selling your hunted prey. 

This seems to me one of the most efficient ways to grind all of the needed commodities in RDO. 3 missions (approx 1hr 45 minutes) netts 1 goldbar , around 4500 xp and around 450 USD, give or take.

The same can be done with the tumbleweed mission for honourable posse leaders although for me it feels less lucrative. If the hat fits can only be started by dishounarable posse leaders.

21 hours ago, McLawDiz said:

That is the great part of open communication between players.  It should also be considered that they was doing it to grief you, cause they was bored.  If players don't communicate or at least try to.  Many players have reasons for doing what they are doing, no necessarily good reasons, but reasons none the less.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, peppino79 said:

Or it could be their way of trying to make it different then GTA.  As a friend stated to me, they really seem to be doing what they can to slow the game down to Old West time frame, instead of racing to the finish line.  Yet the players are still finding ways to speed things up.

3 minutes ago, peppino79 said:

because it's the most logical thing to do !!!  
still a lot of people don't know how the gaming system works ...

Exactly why i misunderstood what Renascent wrote earlier on. i always thought, that i had to "SPEED-DO" the missions to get max XP, and i always took 3/400 XP pr mission as good! - Guess i was wrong, and its weird by Rockstar.. However, i do embrace it.. its just not common sense for every one playing it.. 

Wonder if they will adjust it later on.. Im still typing F5 on their twitter for news about the upcoming update next week, however i dont think anything comes before thursday or friday.. they like to drag things out. 

6 minutes ago, peppino79 said:

because it's the most logical thing to do !!!  
still a lot of people don't know how the gaming system works ...

The most logical thing to do and this varies from player to player on how that is achieved.  Is have fun and enjoy the game.   You are right, not everyone has the game figured out, I was shown by a couple others guys, they showed me that it needs to be taken slowly.  This may change in the near future, but for now it is about taking your time.

11 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

The most logical thing to do and this varies from player to player on how that is achieved.  Is have fun and enjoy the game.   You are right, not everyone has the game figured out, I was shown by a couple others guys, they showed me that it needs to be taken slowly.  This may change in the near future, but for now it is about taking your time.

lately the funniest thing in the game is trying to communicate with other players to explain how the game works.
some people do not have a microphone, others keep everything off, others do not understand my bad English. I enjoy it so much !!!  😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peppino79 said:

lately the funniest thing in the game is trying to communicate with other players to explain how the game works.
some people do not have a microphone, others keep everything off, others do not understand my bad English. I enjoy it so much !!!  😂

You can play without a being mic'd up.  I often send a message through xbox, saying you lead and I follow.   Yet I feel your pain.  Sometimes I have gamed with others who just won't shut up and they are to busy talking and not focused on the game.

22 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

You can play without a being mic'd up.  I often send a message through xbox, saying you lead and I follow.   Yet I feel your pain.  Sometimes I have gamed with others who just won't shut up and they are to busy talking and not focused on the game.

I focus on the game usually. I'm trying to communicate more with other players just because a lot of them do the missions quickly.
another thing that amuses me is to guess the nationality of the players from their gamertag. 😆

• Haha 1

OK dragging it out for XP I was not aware of thanks for letting me know, not sure if that is a good idea though. More commuication, I agree not one of the lingerers  I have encountred bothered to explain that was what they were doing so I wonder if that is really there intention. Since my orignal post I have continued to experince Ml'rs & Drpot's on story missions.

5 minutes ago, Jimblob said:

OK dragging it out for XP I was not aware of thanks for letting me know, not sure if that is a good idea though. More commuication, I agree not one of the lingerers  I have encountred bothered to explain that was what they were doing so I wonder if that is really there intention. Since my orignal post I have continued to experince Ml'rs & Drpot's on story missions.

Usually players that are drawing it out, will run up kill what they have to and then go play, hunt, or fish.   It is possible they have different technique then that, but that has been my experiences.  I have known some players who will join up and then just set their and wait.  They still get a rewarded whether or not they kill anything, as long as you do the work.

The last story mission I played was the one at Fort Mercer. There were 4 of us in the mission. We completed eliminating the enemy in the fort and then just hung around the fort for the next 25 minutes. One of the guys explained that when the mission starts, he sets a timer for 29 minutes. As a result, I received almost $70 and 1196 XP! Holy smokes, have I ever been playing these missions wrong!