Jump to content

New update first impressions.


The_Liquor
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well, my internet kicked in and I tried out some of the new material... I started up cripp’s trading co., got my bounty license, bought my collector kit from the gypsy girl and joined the wheeler elite club or whatever it’s called (I knew all that gold I’d been hoarding would come in handy). 

My first impression of the new roles, I love them. They’re just passively there adding a purpose behind everything you do. Cripps takes your hunting odds and ends and at some point fills his wagon for you to deliver. I made $68 for a long delivery.

bounties are available all over. Just pick a poster and go catch one if you feel like it. I haven’t done much for the collector yet,  but once you start a collection (in my case eggs)it starts out like a treasure map. Then in your travels if you nearanother item, you are prompted to go investigate../

going back to the survey pole, I’m officially changing my answer to ‘dabbling in all three. I like the new feel.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We didn't get a lot of time with the new mechanics and to be honest, a good bit was spent on trying to get used to the controls again.

However, I dig the new roles so far and can see this adding more activities to keep me busy.  We hooked up with the trader and collector roles and bounty will be next.  .....the latter seems like it might be the most exciting of the 3 but I can still see plenty of value in the other 2.  

I like some of the changes to the animations except for the reloads.  I thought those needed to be slowed down, not sped up.  Still getting used to the damage adjustments as we weren't really in any firefights except a quick one (random event on the side of the road). 

Hope to delve in a little deeper tonight. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Melizmator said:

It seems you can now multitask a bit while doing collector jobs sometimes random events pop up 

Yeah, it doesn't lock you into the roles but simply opens up new opportunities and activities unique to those roles so you have more that you can do.  Once I get all 3 going for myself, I can certainly see bouncing between them when I want to grind out money, get in a little action, explore, etc.  I'm guessing then I will begin to see the random events from all 3 as I travel around.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first impressions...

I could do a long post but don't want to spoil anything yet. 

Bounty Hunter was my main gig yesterday, and actually enjoying it but it was buggy ... couldn't lasso targets and some gang members impossible to kill.  They say dead or alive and I was racking up the kills but alive seems to pay out better.

Seems to be some side jobs when delivering the Cripps goods but they where buggy too,  as to be expected.

IDK I'm happy with the gun changes ...Bolt action seems to be back to where it was with express ammo b4 last update but looks like they nerfed high velocity on that and the Springfield. Springfield seems slower to load though.

Movements are much smoother now, especially since I can literally jump right on my horse and go

Allot to digest in 1 day but they added some stuff worth taking a longer look at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was doing my first delivery and came across a woman selling a treasure map. I found some eggs for my collector while taking in a bounty... like I was trying to say, it’s all sort of blended into the background in such a way that it kind of just gives purpose to the things we’ve been doing already while giving us a few extra activities...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dissention said:

My first impressions...

I could do a long post but don't want to spoil anything yet. 

Bounty Hunter was my main gig yesterday, and actually enjoying it but it was buggy ... couldn't lasso targets and some gang members impossible to kill.  They say dead or alive and I was racking up the kills but alive seems to pay out better.

Alive will definitely pay out more.  

 

3 minutes ago, Dissention said:

Seems to be some side jobs when delivering the Cripps goods but they where buggy too,  as to be expected.

IDK I'm happy with the gun changes ...Bolt action seems to be back to where it was with express ammo b4 last update but looks like they nerfed high velocity on that and the Springfield. Springfield seems slower to load though.

The Springfield was definitely changed and mentioned in the patch notes.  So were other weapons in relation to distance I believe and how they are fired (e.g. from the hip, through a scope, etc.) .

 

3 minutes ago, Dissention said:

Movements are much smoother now, especially since I can literally jump right on my horse and go

Allot to digest in 1 day but they added some stuff worth taking a longer look at.

Yeah I noticed that too.  Nice change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One main complaint is R* no longer allowing us to use the Red Dead companion app. Used that all the time especially fishing & hunting. It would of worked perfect with the bounty hunter role.

I enjoy the quicker animation reload, picking herbs, looting bodies & so on.

  Started with the Bounty hunter & enjoy how there are 3 wanted posters at all the post offices & sheriff offices. Also there is no time limit after you finish a bounty. I enjoy able to start the next one up right away.

 I tried the Trader & sold a few things. Enjoy that I can choose shorter delivery path, stay in passive mode & the game doesn't message players about my delivery. Notice the jewelry price at the fence is double $$.

I notice there's a new pvp mode where there is only free aim and perks are disable. That looks interesting 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My overriding first impression is sadly - in short, lipstick on a pig. Yeah the new roles are interesting and hell i might even enjoy them if I could play for a reasonable time without a crash or being kicked from the server. But a whole load of bugs and nuances that were fixed seem to have come back along with a host of new issues. And then there’s the taking away of features like the companion app map and resetting daily challenge streak without warning or explanation.

Perhaps the only sadder thing is that I’ll keep logging on and regrinding the same old grind hoping the situation will improve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

My overriding first impression is sadly - in short, lipstick on a pig. Yeah the new roles are interesting and hell i might even enjoy them if I could play for a reasonable time without a crash or being kicked from the server. But a whole load of bugs and nuances that were fixed seem to have come back along with a host of new issues. And then there’s the taking away of features like the companion app map and resetting daily challenge streak without warning or explanation.

Perhaps the only sadder thing is that I’ll keep logging on and regrinding the same old grind hoping the situation will improve.

Well, don't torture yourself.  Maybe it's time to explore another game for a while.  

A lot of these updates have had bug issues but luckily, they've also had hotfixes to help sort out some of them.  I had two crashes last night too.  If this becomes a trend, I may shelve the game again until they are addressed.  ....after reporting them of course.

The loss of the map on the app wasa bummer but with the changes they have made over the months, some of its usefulness was already stripped away.  I'm not big on fishing but that's a good point as the app really helped given the minimap disappears during this activity.  

I know there were a lot of folks out there who either didn't use the app or couldn't because their device was not compatible.  I'm ok with everyone being on a level playing field in this case as no advantage is given to anyone in this respect.

Well, here's hoping they get the bugs / crashes addressed sooner rather than later and as always, I encourage folks to report any problems and feedback they have to R*.  The more people who complain about an issue, the better our chances are of seeing it fixed.

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadonline/feedback?redirect_lang=en_us

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, but level playing field talk in respect of the companion app is nanny state bullsh*t in my view - it was available to everyone, whether or not they could use it was a choice. Same as bonuses for ultimate and special editions or PS4 exclusives and early access. I have no problem that I’m missing out on ultimate edition exclusive items - it was my choice not to pay the extra money to have them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Sorry, but level playing field talk in respect of the companion app is nanny state bullsh*t in my view - it was available to everyone, whether or not they could use it was a choice. Same as bonuses for ultimate and special editions or PS4 exclusives and early access. I have no problem that I’m missing out on ultimate edition exclusive items - it was my choice not to pay the extra money to have them.

I don't see it that way but yeah, ok.  

I'm not getting the advantages of using it anymore either and I'm going to miss it.  I'll probably even submit feedback to R* about it.  ....maybe even suggest the minimap is included on the screen when fishing as I think that makes people excessively vulnerable during that task. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loving the update!!

I saved up so I was able to get the club membership plus all three roles started, I do the collecting and hunting at the same time and then bring everythign back to camp for Cripps and head out again, when I get camp all set up and running well I go do a few bounties, then I open a new collector map and head out to collect whatever it is and hunt both ways for Cripps, and on and on and on, 

I keep running into unique situations, I found a guy screaming about the wagon that was running off with his wife in it, I couldnt get to it in time, so they went off a cliff!! lol

I found a few situations like that, a deer walking around with an arrow in it, I skinned it and found the arrow was a collector item, also found one in a wolf.

Ive spent a lot of money and gold though.

So far Ive spent $4500 and 120 gold bars getting everything set up and buying many of the percs and rank unlocks, like new horses, a dog, stew pot, etc..

Also, I hadnt seen anyone talking about the daily challenges, but I noticed we now get additional daily challenges for the three roles, so I think 10 a day in all instead of 7.

I am loving the ability to name my custom outfits and save I think 10 of them, and I can carry 5 of them on my horse plus 5 hats.

The very first thing I did was create a new character, I waited a long time for that, and I am so glad they included it in the update.

So many other things I cant even think of them all right now.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, lumper said:

Also, I hadnt seen anyone talking about the daily challenges, but I noticed we now get additional daily challenges for the three roles, so I think 10 a day in all instead of 7.

Its more than 10 once you rank up enough to unlock the role based challenges I think (I'm not there yet, just on 10).

Just a shame they decided to reset streak so I'm back to a measly 0.2gb per challenge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New content is fun.   Love playing the BH missions and hunting.

 

R* speeding up the gun mechanics/player movement up, nerfing head shots, buffing body shots is a huge step backwards.   Especially with auto aim and PIB, the game is now beyond easy.    

 

Ruining Slippery Bastard is complete bullsh*t, especially while they leave PIB untouched.

 

And adding one silly free aim pvp game is kind of a slap in the face for people who want free aim for everything.  R* tossing a crumb on the floor? 

Edited by HuDawg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

New content is fun.   Love playing the BH missions and hunting.

 

R* speeding up the gun mechanics/player movement up, nerfing head shots, buffing body shots is a huge step backwards.   Especially with auto aim and PIB, the game is now beyond easy.    

 

Ruining Slippery Bastard is complete bullsh*t, especially while they leave PIB untouched.

 

And adding one silly free aim pvp game is kind of a slap in the face for people who want free aim for everything.  R* tossing a crumb on the floor? 

I Agree with most of what you say, however... 

I am not, and will never be a big fan of PVP, and even though i really love online, i never actually interact with other players, unless they are friends / posse members.. I mostly solo, and avoid others.. Maybe because i like my experience to be a more.. Roleplaying style, and for me, the new speeding up, makes me feel more like a god damn outlaw, shooting up npc`s and stuff, like a god damn baws! :D - If you are into PVP alot, i kinda get what you say, and how its not for the good. 

They made these changes for the good, and i love "the looting body" process now, even though its a BIT arcade`ish.. 

For me personally, there aint much i miss now, for this to be a complete experience overall.. Its really minor, and thing that should already be in it, but that i am hoping coming later.. 

(Snow in the ACTUAL mountains, Baths, Hotels, More games like in story mode, etc etc) 🤠

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, McLawDiz said:

I Agree with most of what you say, however... 

I am not, and will never be a big fan of PVP, and even though i really love online, i never actually interact with other players, unless they are friends / posse members.. I mostly solo, and avoid others.. Maybe because i like my experience to be a more.. Roleplaying style, and for me, the new speeding up, makes me feel more like a god damn outlaw, shooting up npc`s and stuff, like a god damn baws! :D - If you are into PVP alot, i kinda get what you say, and how its not for the good. 

At this point id be all for R* removing PVP entirely.   The pvp has gone from bad to worse.

Rather just play the pve.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Its more than 10 once you rank up enough to unlock the role based challenges I think (I'm not there yet, just on 10).

Just a shame they decided to reset streak so I'm back to a measly 0.2gb per challenge.

My streak didn't get reset. I'm still pulling in .5 gold per challenge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone else noticed trains are now running in New Austin. I was down there collecting a bounty for the role daily challenges as well as searching for collectors items when when a train came and stopped at Macfarland's Ranch. Prior to than I had never seen a train in New Austin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vaderspupil said:

Has anyone else noticed trains are now running in New Austin. I was down there collecting a bounty for the role daily challenges as well as searching for collectors items when when a train came and stopped at Macfarland's Ranch. Prior to than I had never seen a train in New Austin.

Some bounties are even on a trains.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not like most of the sped up settings now in the game.  I like the faster weapon reloads, mounting horses, and looting I guess.  What I don't like is the much faster walking, running, riding, moving, aiming, etc.  It seems like they just went to a master switch of some kind and said "double speed on everything".   Someone said it above, and I heard someone else say it yesterday too. The game feels a lot more Arcade-ish.  What attracted me to RDO2 in the first place was the more immersive nature of just interacting with the world and "feeling" like you're out on the range, living the life of an outlaw.  You know, Roleplaying.  It feels like, (and I know, we're only 3 days in) but it feels like the game is more closely related to Mario Cart now, than to an immersive MMORPG.  At least in terms of mechanics. 

I suppose I will get used to it.  But I don't much like it. (To me HuDawg, this seems like a PVP focused speed play, more than anything)

As for the rest, I'm a big fan.  The new roles and encounters and all of that are so much fun!

Where are the other Dog breeds?!?!?  I want an Aussie!

    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes... I really don’t like most of the faster animations... looting, reloading, etc... it feels so wrong when you get everything out of the guys pockets by barely reaching a hand out. Where’s the risk? I agree they made it feel to much like a PvP arcade shooter with a lot of the changes, it does take away some from the role play like feel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really enjoying the update. I've chosen the Trader role and OMG it's perfect. It lets me remain in Defensive Mode and when I sell something I don't have an entire bunch of griefers after me like it happens on GTA. This is what I wanted, EXACTLY. I've also tried some bounties and a few collectors missions but they're just not for me, I'll stick with Cribbs, my camp dog and FINALLY, a weapons locker. I was so happy when I could just put all those unused guns in there - no more endless scrolling through weapons!

I'm also glad that looting is now faster AND that it actually comes up with decent results, unlike before.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

increased animations was a realy, realy bad move, took away all the realistic feel in favor of arcade playstyle. i doubt i will be playing mutch if it dont return to how it was.

apparently they want GTAO players to jump on RDR2O...........

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...