In Defense Of The Black Arabian Horse

MrPicard

I know everyone is saying how the Black Arabian is just the most expensive but not the best horse in the game (some even say it's one of the WORST) because it's so skittish and tiny and whatnot, and it seems to have become almost a "no-go" to be out and about on this horse.

Honestly tho? I've been playing the game from the beginning and I bought the Black Arabian as soon as I could and I've now tried out a number of other horses and, as much as I love my Good Guy Kladruber my Black Arabian is still my go-to horse for everything. I've even figured out how to do bounty hunter missions with him: Everyone knows that, as soon as you've hogtied your bounty, a bunch of NPCs show up and start shooting at you. This is where my trusted companion used to buck and run, but no more - I just whistle for him RIGHT AFTER I've put the bounty on his back, and he stays right where he is and I can either dispose of the NPCs on the ground or get up on my horse and do it from horseback. I do the same when I use him for hunting - I just hit the "calm" button as soon as I hear wolves howling and he doesn't buck me, only when I don't manage to shoot all the wolves quickly does he get skittish, but my Turkoman and Kladruber get skittish at around the same point in time, so there's no noticable difference to me. (Keep in mind I'm talking about all this with MAXIMUM Black Arabian horse bonding.)

I do agree that he's rather tiny and can look like a pony sometimes but he's FAST, and that makes up for it, especially when you have to go all across the map to get at your bounty target. And I like that he basically squeezes through everything and jumps over everything. Sure we crash from time to time but it's not nearly as many times as I crash when I use my Turkoman - that horse is cool and all but oh so bulky. And the Kladruber is even worse in that regard, lol. (I do love the big horses though, don't misunderstand me.)

So yeah, I love my Black Arabian horse and I think it gets way too much "nope". But then I also suffer from anxiety and get skittish at things, maybe that's why I relate so much to the horse and can sense when he's about to have enough and that's why we get along so well? Hmm. ;) 

• Like 3

I'm liking my Breton at the moment but I do miss the speed and handling of my Black Arabian especially as I want to try it with the Nacogdoches saddle now I know how good it is. People like to knock whatever is the best on paper to give credence to them making an alternative, less obvious, choice. Ironically though in this case that has made the Arabian a pretty rare sight in the RDO world, everybody riding around on the frontier pursuits horses. 

Yes, it can be a bit skittish but its nowhere near as bad as the red chestnut arabian nor as bad as people make out. The Kladruber bucked me many a time when I was using it and even the Breton bucked me on the wolf man bounty if more than a couple of wolves got close (and wouldn't return to me, leaving me to get savaged). None of them are perfect, you have to work around the flaws that they have, whatever horse you use.

I'm totally with you, I still think the Black Arabian is an outstanding horse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

I'm liking my Breton at the moment but I do miss the speed and handling of my Black Arabian especially as I want to try it with the Nacogdoches saddle now I know how good it is. People like to knock whatever is the best on paper to give credence to them making an alternative, less obvious, choice. Ironically though in this case that has made the Arabian a pretty rare sight in the RDO world, everybody riding around on the frontier pursuits horses. 

Yes, it can be a bit skittish but its nowhere near as bad as the red chestnut arabian nor as bad as people make out. The Kladruber bucked me many a time when I was using it and even the Breton bucked me on the wolf man bounty if more than a couple of wolves got close (and wouldn't return to me, leaving me to get savaged). None of them are perfect, you have to work around the flaws that they have, whatever horse you use.

I'm totally with you, I still think the Black Arabian is an outstanding horse.

Thank you so much, I'm so glad I'm not alone in this!

And you're absolutely right, it's incredibly rare to see people on Arabian horses in the game nowadays - everyone seems to have succumbed to the "overrated, too expensive, useless because skittish" opinion. And I can definitely say that the Naco saddle works wonders with the Black Arabian indeed, it's incredibly fast and it never gets tired. I always use that saddle with my Black Arabian and it's lovely. I tried the Breton, I really did, but the horse did nothing for me (other than bucking me off faster than my Arabian, and I WAS at maximum bonding with the Breton), and ugh, I went back to my trusted Black Arabian friend. I love the Kladruber still but it's just TOO slow sometimes.

And I agree, all the horses have flaws, I really love that about them - there's something to overcome with EVERY horse in the game, no horse is 100% perfect, but once you've found the horse you like the most you're willing to deal with the flaws, much like it is in real life (I guess, I've never owned a horse IRL).

I don't think the horse is viewed as over rated. It is a good horse . Most people's issue with it is the temperament and size. I do like it's speed and handling but temperament is more important to me.  I do own a Black Arabian and use it from time to time. I personally prefer a bigger horse. The LVL 20 Breton made last week's Legendary Bounty a breeze. No way I would take that Arabian around all of those wolves. Not a shot. Especially the 5* bounty. I do like using my Arabian in gun fights if I want to fight from my horse. Every horse  I own has a purpose. My Lvl 20 Breton(best overall horse IMO) and  Lvl 20 Kladruber are my daily drivers.  I wouldn't waste money on the $150 and $550 variants . They are no were close to the LvL 20s.

I mix it up from time to time with my Arabian and Tiger Striped Bay Mustang. I don't think people HATE on the Arabian , but I think people have an issue saying it is the best cause of speed and handling.  Before this Summer Update I used the Tiger Striped Bay Mustang as my main. It has a honey badger mentality and I guess I can relate. Is she the fastest ? Hell no. But that temperament is solid gold for me.  Use what works for you and who cares what others think. I sure as hell don't. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Savage_Reaper said:

I don't think the horse is viewed as over rated. It is a good horse . Most people's issue with it is the temperament and size. I do like it's speed and handling but temperament is more important to me.  I do own a Black Arabian and use it from time to time. I personally prefer a bigger horse. The LVL 20 Breton made last week's Legendary Bounty a breeze. No way I would take that Arabian around all of those wolves. Not a shot. Especially the 5* bounty. I do like using my Arabian in gun fights if I want to fight from my horse. Every horse  I own has a purpose. My Lvl 20 Breton(best overall horse IMO) and  Lvl 20 Kladruber are my daily drivers.  I wouldn't waste money on the $150 and $550 variants . They are no were close to the LvL 20s.

I mix it up from time to time with my Arabian and Tiger Striped Bay Mustang. I don't think people HATE on the Arabian , but I think people have an issue saying it is the best cause of speed and handling.  Before this Summer Update I used the Tiger Striped Bay Mustang as my main. It has a honey badger mentality and I guess I can relate. Is she the fastest ? Hell no. But that temperament is solid gold for me.  Use what works for you and who cares what others think. I sure as hell don't. 

Not even I tried the Wolf Man bounty with my Black Arabian, so I can definitely understand what you mean! lol (I did this week's bounty with him tho and he did just fine - but yeah, wolves and Black Arabians only go together for SO long, it's okay in Cumberland Forest but that Wolf Man challenge WOULD not have ended well with an Arabian horse, no matter which one.)

I can also definitely understand people having an issue with the Arabian horses being so tiny. They really are. It's an advantage when it comes to speed but it does look a bit strange sometimes, I agree. I love the bigger horses as well normally, I'm still SO fond of the HUGE Shire horse Arthur gets in Story Mode, I really miss that one. And yeah my horses all have a purpose as well - the Kladruber I use when I just want to take a lazy stroll and look for stuff for Madam Nazar, the Turkoman I take for special assignments (like the Wolf Man challenge), and my Black Arabian is my "default" horse. I suppose I just love to be friends with this tiny skittish horse for some reason, whenever I take my Turkoman or Kladruber I start to miss my Black Arabian after a while and feel bad for leaving him behind in the stables.

To me 42 gold is WAY to high of a price. I spent the money instead and got the white one. Money is much more easily earned. Plus with my saddle adding +1 to Acceleration and Speed and my Stirrups adding +2 more to both as well, Acceleration and Speed are 10/10 and at lvl 4 bonding, both Health and Stamina are abut 3/4 of a full circle. I can full out gallop for as long as I want.

Ich habe es gerade vor 2 Wochen gekauft ... und ich bereue es. Ok, ist schnell, wendig und kein Hase, aber die Größe funktioniert nicht. Und ich habe einen ziemlich kleinen weiblichen Spitznamen. Wenn wir eines Tages wieder Pferde verkaufen können, ist es der erste ... Die Newbies, Bretons und Kladruber sind das Beste für mich. Ich besitze sogar den 150 Dollar teuren schwarzen Kladruber, den ich immer dem schwarzen Araber vorziehe

image.thumb.png.505301cbb00a9ae00ce4117dbe94a979.pngSind die Araber in Wirklichkeit wirklich so klein?

foto ist der schwarze Kladruber - if I play defensive - I do not need a fast horse

Edited by narmin
  • Like 1

I spent the gold on the Black one and was awesome. Almost full curcles on acceleration and speed. and full health at level 4 bonding. Didn't balk at anything even gaters. Then something changed. I didn't play for about 6 weeks and now it isn't as good as I thought it was. Runs at the sight of any animal and gun shots spook it crazy. Did game mechanics change a bit? IDK

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DNMNetTech said:

I spent the gold on the Black one and was awesome. Almost full curcles on acceleration and speed. and full health at level 4 bonding. Didn't balk at anything even gaters. Then something changed. I didn't play for about 6 weeks and now it isn't as good as I thought it was. Runs at the sight of any animal and gun shots spook it crazy. Did game mechanics change a bit? IDK

I can't prove it but I believe they did tweak the horses temperament on a few breeds. My MFT was the worst post Summer Update. EVERYTHING scared it. And it would take off all the time once I got off her. Turk became even more clumsy and didn't feel the same. My Black Arabian remained about the same. Just couldn't take her anywhere near any type of predator. Tiger Striped Bay Mustang remained the same. I have posse members who also noticed a lot of their horse acting funny too. So who knows. Maybe R* wanted everyone to spend money/gold to buy new horses by messing with the old meta horses. Or  maybe my tin foil hat is on to tight. That could always be the case. 

Edited by Savage_Reaper

Agree with DNMNetTech & Savage_Reaper - before the update I was playing everyday but not a lot, just doing some challenges, after the update I was playing more but felt there was a definite change in the Black Arabian's temperament. So much so I decided to have a break from it and switched back to my MFT - it was not at all like I remembered it to be at all either. Think R* may well have changed them to allow more differentiation for the new horses. 

Regarding the 42 gold cost - I thought this was a lot at the time I bought the horse (and the panther saddle) too but then they introduced the double gold daily challenge bonus and now with the roles I have so much gold I wouldn't know what to do with it if there weren't such expenditures. I sometimes use gold to buy stuff that I could pay for in $ to save the cash for things like ability card upgrades.

Interesting - I never considered that R* might have done something to the horses and their stats! Maybe this is why I now crash into pretty much EVERYTHING with my Turkoman? It really wasn't like that at first, he used to jump over things like as if they were nothing and now even a simple fence seems to be too much sometimes. I'd be really interested to know if the Arabian was changed as well, I haven't noticed much but then, this might simply be because I always automatically assume he's skittish and try to prevent him from freaking out even when he ISN'T freaking out. lol

18 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

It's funny.....  I never bought a horse before except for the Chestnut Arabian I got for free in the PS4 bonus.  .....been using it ever since.

That is a perfectly valid approach - if you like your horse, no need to buy a new one! (I've spent way too much money/gold on horses in this game. lol) I also got that Arabian for free and I used him for quite some time before I bought a new horse.

19 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

It's funny.....  I never bought a horse before except for the Chestnut Arabian I got for free in the PS4 bonus.  .....been using it ever since.

Fair play to you but I would definitely recommend making an upgrade at some point. Obviously there are people that swear by the  Turk, the MFT, the black Arabian or one of the new horses, there are different views on what horse is best and it depends on the individual but they are all massively better than the red chestnut Arabian. If you’re still using the free alligator saddle that is well worth replacing too.

I’ve had all the top horses and loved my MFTs until Rockstar ruined them.  The black arabian I had was pure garbage from the beginning and never got any better.  The only horse I like now is my Criollo and I use a Breton for backup.  All the rest were discarded.

I have a red chestnut Arabian that is kickass.  I love the speed.  Endurance really isn't all that necessary.  I like to be able to ride fast.  And if you feed it a good horse meal and some hay along the way it will ride all day long.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Black Arabian, MFT, and all 3 level 20 role horses. 

I still only ride the Arabian.  The size and handling are what makes it great. 

Full gallop 90° turn and no need to hit the "brakes". 

And small enough to see around easily and avoid obstacles. 

She's like a little black cruise missile death machine.   

Don't know why everyone complains that their skittish.  I used her on all 5 wolfman levels.  I just didn't have any problems.  

A close second to me now is the Criollo.  Great horse. 

I've heard all the negativity surrounding the Black Arabian, and if you're thinking about getting one, do it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freakshow9191 said:

I have a Black Arabian, MFT, and all 3 level 20 role horses. 

I still only ride the Arabian.  The size and handling are what makes it great. 

Full gallop 90° turn and no need to hit the "brakes". 

And small enough to see around easily and avoid obstacles. 

She's like a little black cruise missile death machine.   

Don't know why everyone complains that their skittish.  I used her on all 5 wolfman levels.  I just didn't have any problems.  

A close second to me now is the Criollo.  Great horse. 

I've heard all the negativity surrounding the Black Arabian, and if you're thinking about getting one, do it!

Yup, I love all those facts about my Black Arabian as well. I do use other horses from time to time but I always go back to my trusted Arabian friend. What I also love is that he just trots on and on, you just have to hit the x button once and he'll trot and trot while other horses stop walking after a few steps and you have to press the x button again. (I'm annoyed by small things like that, yes. lol)

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 8:50 AM, Zui said:

I’ve had all the top horses and loved my MFTs until Rockstar ruined them.  The black arabian I had was pure garbage from the beginning and never got any better.  The only horse I like now is my Criollo and I use a Breton for backup.  All the rest were discarded.

YES !!!! i was wondering why is my Dracul (my fav MFT) behaving like he never did especially getting scared more often. Before the update he was not scared of anything. 

About the Black Arabian - it still a bit slower than MFT. It has better handling and acceleration. I own one B Arabian as well but hardly use it bcoz he trips on bushes and i mostry cut my roads thru bushes , swamps etc. 

Edited by James Hickok_1837

13 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

I’ve been riding my free red chestnut (Red Liquor) since day one. He gets the job done and rarely give me trouble... I just never saw the need to spend massive amounts of money on upgrading horses.

Same here. 

I always hear people talk about getting bucked off these but if I'm going to be completely honest, it is very rare that I ever do.  I rarely run out of stamina as long as I calm the horse down during long runs.  Same thing when it becomes skittish.  

When attacked by wolves, etc., I keep the horse moving.

• Like 1

To each his own, you ride what you enjoy and dont worry about what others think.

I dont like the Arabians personally, mostly because they are so small, but also because they are so skittish as you mentioned, to me I'd rather be on a Turk, a Trotter, a Breton, or a Klad, those are my favorites.

If I raced only maybe an Arabian, but even then probably a Turk as the races get a little physical, and the Arabian doesnt spell confidence.

I have the "chestnut bay" Arabian. Turned him into a genuine chestnut by changing his mane and tail colors. I love this horse and probably won't stop riding him while progressing through the game. (I'm lvl 26 or 27 at the moment.) Although he doesn't have the absolute best stats, he suits me just fine. He's fast, agile, not easily spooked and just fun for my character to ride.

If players like the black Arabian, or any other horse for that matter, enjoy it. The differences between the horses are relatively minor, so enjoy whatever pleases you, and to heck with what others say is "the best."

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Aval0n said:

I have the "chestnut bay" Arabian. Turned him into a genuine chestnut by changing his mane and tail colors. I love this horse and probably won't stop riding him while progressing through the game. (I'm lvl 26 or 27 at the moment.) Although he doesn't have the absolute best stats, he suits me just fine. He's fast, agile, not easily spooked and just fun for my character to ride.

If players like the black Arabian, or any other horse for that matter, enjoy it. The differences between the horses are relatively minor, so enjoy whatever pleases you, and to heck with what others say is "the best."

I had the chestnut Arabian for quite a while as well, I was thrilled when I discovered that I as a PS4 player got one for free - I mean you don't get an Arabian horse for free every day. The stats may not be as "spectacular" as the Black (or even White) Arabian's, but the chestnut is a solid horse nonetheless, and it helps you tremendously if you're a low-level player. (At least it helped ME a lot when I was one.) So yeah, I can definitely understand why you wouldn't want another horse! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Dang I shouldn't have read this thread.  I bought my first top-level horse last night (the $950 Kladruber) and absolutely love it, although I only bonded to level 2.  Was coming from a thoroughbred.  But the Kladruber is another level, love it (and faster than I expected).  Yet here I am feeling I have to try the Black Arabian now, sounds great (had previously worried it would be too small -not worried about being bucked, am level 83 and have been bucked only a handful of times when animals surprised us).  

I have recenty bought and leveled a Breton horse. I must say im a bit dissapointed in him. He gets sooo freaked out near water - especially swamps. Sometimes he dont even want to come to me when im calling him. running around like an idiot making scared sounds. He is terrified of gators. He bucks me when wolfs or cougar attacks me. This is not what i was expecting. 

Anyway it made me go back to  my MFT and thinking about trying the Criollo today. Have loads of money anyway so why not. 

19 minutes ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

I have recenty bought and leveled a Breton horse. I must say im a bit dissapointed in him. He gets sooo freaked out near water - especially swamps. Sometimes he dont even want to come to me when im calling him. running around like an idiot making scared sounds. He is terrified of gators. He bucks me when wolfs or cougar attacks me. This is not what i was expecting. 

Anyway it made me go back to  my MFT and thinking about trying the Criollo today. Have loads of money anyway so why not. 

Don't let some people on here hear you speak of the Breton in that way!! It's a decent horse but overhyped imo. I'm levelling up a Criollo at the moment, seems decent enough. Every horse seems to have a tendency to annoy after a while so now I have money I keep them all saddled and switch between them fairly regularly.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 10:52 AM, SimonTemplar said:

Dang I shouldn't have read this thread.  I bought my first top-level horse last night (the $950 Kladruber) and absolutely love it, although I only bonded to level 2.  Was coming from a thoroughbred.  But the Kladruber is another level, love it (and faster than I expected).  Yet here I am feeling I have to try the Black Arabian now, sounds great (had previously worried it would be too small -not worried about being bucked, am level 83 and have been bucked only a handful of times when animals surprised us).  

I have a Kladruber as well and he's the most patient horse and I love taking him on a little tour around the map when I do my collector stuff, but he's no match for the Arabian when it comes to speed and agility. Still tho, it's not a bad horse to buy at all. The Black Arabian has a few quirks but honestly, I've spent a lot of time with mine now and he hardly ever bucks me or runs off scared. He's a good little horse. (He IS smaller than other horses, not gonna lie, but hey, not every horse can be a Shire. lol) Just be patient with yours if you decide to buy one - they do really achieve their best and most reliable behavior when fully bonded.

• Like 1