Will auto-aim be better on PC?

SageNinja

I can't be the only one who thinks that the shooting mechanics of RDR2 what a bit too easy. For some stuff, it was harder but for the most part, it was just too easy to get a head shot nearly every time given you were using the right gun. I know online that this has been a bit of a pain in the arse for other players as well. 

I am just wondering if auto-aim will be the exact same on PC. I know there are no details about it from Rockstar yet, I have checked. I didn't play GTA V on PC so I don't know if they carried the same thing over from console with that game or not. Anyone know? 

I'm curious about that too. I booted up GTAV on PC to see how they handled it. I'm playing the standard version. With no mods.

If you are using Keyboard + Mouse, then there isn't any auto-aim.

If you are using a gamepad (controller), then there can be assisted aim. There are 4 choices;
1 - Free Aim
2 - Free Aim - Assisted
3 - Assisted Aim - Partial
4 - Assisted Aim - Full <--- this seems to work like RD2 does on the PS4 with controller. If your target is in your front arc, then hitting L2 will snap your aim over the body. Flicking the controller slightly up, will have it aiming at the head.

Assisted Aim - Full is also called lock on mode. You also get a warning message that when you play online, it will match you with other players that have this enabled. Furthermore, you may be at a disadvantage against other players  if you are using K+M with this mode enabled.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 6:08 AM, Volt said:

I'm curious about that too. I booted up GTAV on PC to see how they handled it. I'm playing the standard version. With no mods.

If you are using Keyboard + Mouse, then there isn't any auto-aim.

If you are using a gamepad (controller), then there can be assisted aim. There are 4 choices;
1 - Free Aim
2 - Free Aim - Assisted
3 - Assisted Aim - Partial
4 - Assisted Aim - Full <--- this seems to work like RD2 does on the PS4 with controller. If your target is in your front arc, then hitting L2 will snap your aim over the body. Flicking the controller slightly up, will have it aiming at the head.

Assisted Aim - Full is also called lock on mode. You also get a warning message that when you play online, it will match you with other players that have this enabled. Furthermore, you may be at a disadvantage against other players  if you are using K+M with this mode enabled.

This is interesting. So for PC gamers who use the keyboard and mouse, you are basically expected to be good vs controller users who get the assist. I guess this makes sense considering you can be far more accurate with a  mouse. I have gotten my butt handed to me on CS:GO. lol

Was the aiming different on RDR2 in comparison to RDR? Cause it felt great on that game to me. I hadn't played a console game in awhile so I been used to keyboard and mouse controls for some time. It felt like it was pretty accurate though. 

On 10/21/2019 at 10:47 PM, Coyote said:

Was the aiming different on RDR2 in comparison to RDR? Cause it felt great on that game to me. I hadn't played a console game in awhile so I been used to keyboard and mouse controls for some time. It felt like it was pretty accurate though. 

Yeah it was and some would say it was better on RDR but it depends on who you ask. I felt like somethings they did better in RDR than RDR2 myself when it comes to aiming and general gun mechanics but that is just me. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 9:59 PM, Anc1entC0re said:

Yeah it was and some would say it was better on RDR but it depends on who you ask. I felt like somethings they did better in RDR than RDR2 myself when it comes to aiming and general gun mechanics but that is just me. 

Interesting. So they did change something from the first game to the second. I really liked how it handled either way. I guess I will see how it works on PC in just 6 days!

• Like 1

Shooter gamers on a mouse are always going to be more accurate. If that is what you are wondering. Thing is, the controller option will likely be the same as PC with a slight enhancement to keep up with keyboard and mouse gamers. I don't expect it to be that big of a difference though. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bob12 said:

In rdr1 there was an option to join servers that had auto aim off completely for everyone. That should be for rdr2 too.

Yeah I can agree with this. I think it should be up to the player to decide this. It makes no sense that you can't choose. If there is an option for it, I am overlooking it!

I don't understand about auto aim for PC online game. I have not seen it work. My biggest problem is getting a steady aim on a target and by the time I do, the animal has fled or the red dot has killed me.

So.. I bought a controller for PC and it was even harder for me. I had to use the little joystick to hunt for the target therefore I gave up and went back to keyboard. Where is this often discussed auto aim?? I need it!

Edited by LadyMaal

I wouldn't say that Keyboard and Mouse is better then a game pad. Look at NickMercs on Fortnite amazing player puts most people on K&M to shame.

I guess there should be an option so you can play with only other people who have K&M. If there is PVP do game pads on PC aim assist?

Thats crazy!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NastyNatives said:

I wouldn't say that Keyboard and Mouse is better then a game pad. Look at NickMercs on Fortnite amazing player puts most people on K&M to shame.

I guess there should be an option so you can play with only other people who have K&M. If there is PVP do game pads on PC aim assist?

Thats crazy!

Most of the time, keyboard and mouse players blow controller players out of the water when it comes to PC gaming but I think this may be an exception to the rule since I found this to be the case in GTA V as well. It seems player who use controllers have the advantage being that the game was originally developed for consoles where as several other games are made on PC and down-ported to console. 

On 11/13/2019 at 8:34 PM, SageNinja said:

Most of the time, keyboard and mouse players blow controller players out of the water when it comes to PC gaming but I think this may be an exception to the rule since I found this to be the case in GTA V as well. It seems player who use controllers have the advantage being that the game was originally developed for consoles where as several other games are made on PC and down-ported to console. 

Yeah If im going to PVE I dont mind the controller peeps... PVP I will go into single player and put free aim for ground and horse under game controller this way it wont put me in lobbies with controllers..

Also running around in defensive mode makes it so they cant dead eye you and they get a bigger bounty if they kill you. I love it for PVE

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NastyNatives said:

Also running around in defensive mode makes it so they cant dead eye you and they get a bigger bounty if they kill you. I love it for PVE

This I did not know about. I am going to have to try this out. I played a bit of online on console but it has been awhile. Started playing on PC this month and even with all the issues, I still manage to have fun. This is a good tip to know though. Thanks brother.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dIV4r said:

This I did not know about. I am going to have to try this out. I played a bit of online on console but it has been awhile. Started playing on PC this month and even with all the issues, I still manage to have fun. This is a good tip to know though. Thanks brother.

Yes and it also gives you more health making it harder to kill you. Its just what we needed to PVE!

Dont cheat yourself. If youre on PC, play first person mode and manual aim only. I promise, its hard but so worth it. No offense to anyone who  has a disability, or just plain isnt fast enough to do manual aim. I know a wide range of people play, so I mean no offense. BUT if you can, you should try it. It brings the game alive.

On 11/21/2019 at 10:11 PM, Vonjager said:

Dont cheat yourself. If youre on PC, play first person mode and manual aim only. I promise, its hard but so worth it. No offense to anyone who  has a disability, or just plain isnt fast enough to do manual aim. I know a wide range of people play, so I mean no offense. BUT if you can, you should try it. It brings the game alive.

It is worth a try, just because it makes the game more challenging. I think there are a number of people these days who grew up with gaming and find games today to be "too easy". 

5 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

It's in the Free Roam menu that pops up on the left hand side of your screen when activated.  ......under the Online Options.  

As for what key activates it on PC, I don't know.

The L key brings up the Free Roam Menu. Then indeed, Offensive/Defensive mode is under Online Options, which is the bottom option in the menu.