Jump to content

Digital or Physical?


SNAK3S
 Share

Recommended Posts

Are you going for a digital copy or a physical one? Is anyone planning on getting both?

At first, I was planning on getting a physical copy but I think with my preorder, I will just go digital on the marketplace. I am going to have to install the game either way so that doesn't make a difference. I do want to eventually get a physical copy but I figure I could just get that a year or so from now when the price goes down and just not open. Add it to my collection of gaming stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I've been going back and forth with this. What are the pros and cons of a digital copy? Makes me nervous not physically having the game. Could there be a scenario where I lose the download?  I'm not hip to this sh*t so someone please explain it to me. Muchos gracias . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CMcC said:

So I've been going back and forth with this. What are the pros and cons of a digital copy? Makes me nervous not physically having the game. Could there be a scenario where I lose the download?  I'm not hip to this sh*t so someone please explain it to me. Muchos gracias . 

I remember answering this ages ago - your downloads are linked to your PSN or XBL account so as long as you login as the right account you can d/l any game that you have previously purchased using that account. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, CMcC said:

What are the pros and cons of a digital copy?

One con to buying digital games is if your internet goes out. This happened to me last weekend and it made me realize that most of the games I had downloaded needed internet in order to play (or in order for them to be fun). The good offline games weren't installed, so I had very little to do all weekend. As soon as my internet came back on, I downloaded a few games to keep my occupied in case it happens again.

In short, if you own it digitally you won't have access to the game at all if your internet goes out (unless it's already installed). You'll always be able to install the game off a disc though. Might not be a concern for most people, but it's a con to digital copies that became an issue for me recently.

@Cokeyskunk, I couldn't even use Savini (even though I have the DLC installed) in offline bots. I never heard anyone complain about that before.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I was having a nice morning enjoying my coffee reading the forums until you had to bring this up.  Thanks.

I would've posted it elsewhere, but... You know... lol

It's bad enough to be level locked at 0 offline, but we should at least be able to use the dlc... We really need those local saves more than dedicated servers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Truth said:

I would've posted it elsewhere, but... You know... lol

It's bad enough to be level locked at 0 offline, but we should at least be able to use the dlc... We really need those local saves more than dedicated servers.

Gosh, since I started re-playing RDR, I don't think I've played Friday the 13th for close to two months now. I'm such a fair-weather fan . . . ????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cokeyskunk said:

Gosh, since I started re-playing RDR, I don't think I've played Friday the 13th for close to two months now. I'm such a fair-weather fan . . . ????

I've only played like twice since the last update and only because my buddy wanted to. I only booted it up to see for myself how bogus it is offline. I knew it was limited, but I thought I could at least use my dlc...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Truth said:

It's bad enough to be level locked at 0 offline, but we should at least be able to use the dlc... We really need those local saves more than dedicated servers.

I'd be willing to bet that they never get around too it.  They'll release that cash grab in September, and then the game will sunset by December.

18 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I don't think I've played Friday the 13th for close to two months now. I'm such a fair-weather fan .

Literally all I use it for is either to "warm up" when I'm just starting a gaming session late at night (the offline bots are good for "loosening up"), or as a quick stress release when it's the end of the night and I just need some mindless activity to decompress.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, CMcC said:

So I've been going back and forth with this. What are the pros and cons of a digital copy? Makes me nervous not physically having the game. Could there be a scenario where I lose the download?  I'm not hip to this sh*t so someone please explain it to me. Muchos gracias . 

I struggled with this initially but a few years ago I switched almost exclusively to digital.  However, I'm not the kind of guy that sells his games.  ....I keep everything.  That is one big disadvantage of digital copies is that you can't sell or lend your copy to anyone as you can with physical media.  If that is important to you, I would advise you not to go digital.  Another advantage of physical copies is that they are usually much faster to initially load on your system since the game will usually access the disk for some of the information.  When downloading digital copies, you're literally downloading the whole program.  ....which also means that typically less games can be stored on your system at once.

 

I know the above sounds like I'm arguing against my decision to stick with digital but I still like the convenience.  I can switch between games without having to bother with disks.  I have no disks to physically store.  If I ever want to revisit a title, I simply reload it from my library.  .....I usually do this overnight or during the day since the action can take a couple hours.  I also get games at the time of release.  Some games will even preload on my system and will unlock at the correct time (meaning no long download times except for the usual "day 1" patch). 

 

Personally, I hate the hassle of obtaining a copy on release day at the store or having it delivered.  Before I retired, it became much more convenient for me to just buy the digital copy especially when I had a lot of other priorities going on in my job / life.   Now I'm simply used to it. 

In the end, it's a personal decision.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Gosh, since I started re-playing RDR, I don't think I've played Friday the 13th for close to two months now. I'm such a fair-weather fan . . . ????

I haven't been able to find anyone on to play Friday the 13th.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

According to a friend that works at Gamestop, they are suppose to switch to digital.  Cause Microsoft wanted to stomp out businesses like Gamestop.  That has been some time  ago. 

That was the original plan for the XB1, prior to it's release.  Microsoft strolled into E3 that year, and said, "Digital download for almost all games, no discs.  And the price point is going to be $499."

Then Sony completely took them out at the knees responded in their subsequent press conference by confirming optical media (discs) and a $399 price point.  Guess who "won" E3 that year?

If people want digital downloads, I understand the allure.  There's positives and negatives to both sides, just like drinking your beer out of a can or a bottle.  At the end of the day, beer is still beer, and the games are the same.

Me?  I like the fact that if I buy a game on a disc and it sucks (coughConanExilescough), I can take it back to Gamestop within 14 days and they'll credit me the full purchase price, no questions asked.  That money isn't wasted then, and I can put it towards a game like RDR2 (which is exactly what I ended up doing, btw).  If that had been a digital purchase at release, I'd have been out $50, and while I'm sure $50, $60, or $70 isn't a big deal to most people, that's multiple cases of beer or a bottle of scotch that I'm missing out on from a cost perspective.

No thanks.  Unless companies move away from the current model of "release an unfinished game and fix it over the course of a year or two"--I'm looking at YOU, Ubisoft--I'm going to be wary of any sort of digital purchase for a new game.

Now, if it's a game that's been out awhile and I've played it and I know I'll like it (ESO), that's a little different.  While I have all the faith in the world in Rockstar and the RDR franchise, I've been snakebit too many times with purchases to place blind faith in a particular title or property, right, @Truth & @Cokeyskunk?

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am one of those blow-hards that don't want everything to be digital. I love the feel of peeling the plastic off the case and popping it open, then fighting with the plastic locks trying not to scratch or snap the disc. I don't intend on returning the game but like Bropollo mentioned, the option is there when you have a physical copy. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2018 at 12:51 AM, SNAK3S said:

Are you going for a digital copy or a physical one? Is anyone planning on getting both?

At first, I was planning on getting a physical copy but I think with my preorder, I will just go digital on the marketplace. I am going to have to install the game either way so that doesn't make a difference. I do want to eventually get a physical copy but I figure I could just get that a year or so from now when the price goes down and just not open. Add it to my collection of gaming stuff.

I'm a physical copy person. I like to have it there so I can either sell it on in future or keep it for nostalgia and maybe future play throughs. I tend to keep games I enjoyed anyway and sell on the ones who didn't get all my love. You can't sell on digital copies and if your account gets compromised, you'd lose them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Truth said:

Looks like Amazon is getting rid of the preorder discount for prime members... Get your orders in now people!

Yeah.  That's a bummer.  Luckily it doesn't affect me so much as I nearly always buy digital these days.  ....but it seems like my Prime membership get me less and less each year.  I do take full advantage of it for deliveries and their video service though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Yeah.  That's a bummer.  Luckily it doesn't affect me so much as I nearly always buy digital these days.  ....but it seems like my Prime membership get me less and less each year.  I do take full advantage of it for deliveries and their video service though.

I really don't think it's worth the $100+ (not sure what it's at now) per year unless you buy a ton of stuff randomly throughout the year. If not for the student discount (50% off prime membership) I probably would've dropped it by now. I should really check out the video/music stuff though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Truth said:

I really don't think it's worth the $100+ (not sure what it's at now) per year unless you buy a ton of stuff randomly throughout the year. If not for the student discount (50% off prime membership) I probably would've dropped it by now. I should really check out the video/music stuff though...

We make our killing around Christmas time.  Free delivery and it pays for itself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Truth said:

Looks like Amazon is getting rid of the preorder discount for prime members... Get your orders in now people!

Darn it all to heck. They’re also the only company I see that still doesn’t have a physical copy available for preorder. Which is what I’m after. Say what you will, I don’t trust the cloud. What if that stuff gets hacked or crashes?! It’s all gone! I also like seeing that box in my library so there’s that. I’m the guy that still buys dvds. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Truth said:

I really don't think it's worth the $100+ (not sure what it's at now) per year unless you buy a ton of stuff randomly throughout the year. If not for the student discount (50% off prime membership) I probably would've dropped it by now. I should really check out the video/music stuff though...

They have many of the same titles as Netflix and then of course their own "originals" to set them apart.  As for the shipping, yeah, I order a lot from them throughout the year and nearly all of them are shipped using their 2-day and sometimes 1-day Prime shipping for "free".    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2018 at 2:57 PM, CMcC said:

Darn it all to heck. They’re also the only company I see that still doesn’t have a physical copy available for preorder. Which is what I’m after. Say what you will, I don’t trust the cloud. What if that stuff gets hacked or crashes?! It’s all gone! I also like seeing that box in my library so there’s that. I’m the guy that still buys dvds. 

Me too...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dIV4r said:

I want the physical copy. I am old school and like feeling like feeling like my younger self ripping off the cellophane and getting a whiff of the toxic plastic fumes when I pop the case open.  

Could not agree more. For some reason, when I buy the digital version, I feel like I just illegally downloaded a pirated copy from Napster.

AND -- The way I usually get new games is for Christmas/birthdays. Kinda hard to wrap a digital version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...