Jump to content

Money, sex, and player homes


Aimesleje
 Share

Recommended Posts

One of the biggest problems I see in video games is that money is worthless outside of upgrading your weapons and armor. I hope this game will allow us to make serious purchases like player homes (although I don't see how, considering the gang camps). I really don't want to be a millionaire in the game with nothing but horses and guns to spend my money on. The Wild West is an incredible setting and I hope this "RPG" will give money purpose outside of buying weapons that I'll only ever use to make more money.

Second off, sex. Salty topic, I know. I've seen a few threads from months back where people asked if it was in the game -- it always ended with posters being called virgins and being told it's stupid to want sex in video games. Listen... Why it's "morally" okay to simulate shooting someones limbs off (which we saw in the gameplay) and other horror and gore, but it's somehow gross to simulate sex, is beyond me. I happened to love the Westworld brothel scenes. I'll honestly be disappointed if it doesn't appear in the game. It's a big part of Wild West fiction. It also gives you something else to spend money on.

Do I think it'll be in the game? No. And I say this because the game has (Sexual content) in the ESRB label, whereas GTA 5 had (Strong sexual content) in the label. So, even if it does appear, I don't think it'll be to the extent of GTA 5. Which is a shame. If I'm gonna simulate a gangster outlaw in the Wild West, I wanna be able to visit a brothel every now and then.

Call me immature, you're still paying $60 to simulate murder. You can't be that morally superior.

Thoughts, opinions?

Edited by Aimesleje
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You'll be able to buy things, don't worry. That's R$'s biggest form of turnover - people not being able to buy things in game and having to buy shark cards.

Personally I don't think we need the Westworld level of gratuitous adult material in a video game. That's not what I play games for. Few bare chests or whatever is fine but a full blown orgy just seems like a massive waste of time. 

But I do agree with you about the double standards of gore vs sex, as does George RR Martin:

image.thumb.png.8a5b3b0124c9c73b63d3104c9e2bcdd8.png

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok let's look at it this way.  Guns are mostly set up to display violence, players in PvP often use it just for that in griefing.  Now you put sex into that with the mindset of griefers.  No good can come from it.  Violence in a game with griefers is bad, but allowing them to do it in other forums.  Not good chemistry.  Especially, when part of your player base will be underage kids, whose mommy, daddy, or grandparent got it for them for Christmas or B-day present (Yeah I know the whole rated M for mature and how people ignore it). 

In the 80s and some in the 90s that was the norm in movies, but nowadays what people will accept differs from one person to another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has nothing to do with feeling morally superior to anyone.  Gratuitous sex, nudity, etc. simply doesn't appeal to me in a game.  .....nor most movies for that matter.  That really isn't the kind of content I need to make the gameplay more enjoyable.  Having said that, it also doesn't bother me if it's in the game in some relatively small capacity.  

Sorry, animated sex / nudity really doesn't do anything for me.  .....but if that's your thing, I won't judge you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kean_1 said:

That really isn't the kind of content I need to make the gameplay more enjoyable.  Having said that, it also doesn't bother me if it's in the game in some relatively small capacity.  

 Okay. Define small capacity though. Personally, I think the game has confirmed so much gore that not including sex seems kinda ridiculous. Animals and people can have limbs blown off and blood spurt everywhere. People can be graphically stabbed in the back, neck and chest with blood spurts. Animals can be hunted and skinned in graphic detail (reviewers said it's unnerving to watch). Hunted animal carcasses literally ROT over time.

This isn't a children's game. They're creating an all out gorey adult Wild West simulacrum. I'm not asking for Westworld levels of detail, but honestly, with this much death and gore, if I can't visit a few brothels in the game and at minimum get a fade to black I'm gonna think theres seriously wrong with the in office politics here. 

As for you personally, you say you don't need sex to make a game interesting. I can respect that, and I really appreciate that you weren't belittling me. That said, I and many others don't really need flying limbs to make a game interesting -- and yet it's in here anyway. Plus, I wasn't the first to make a thread about this. There are probably a dozen threads ranging back the last two years. People, adults, are interested in playing games with at least minor sexual content. I find it hard to get invested in characters if theres no romantic or sexual base to their story because it's just so unrealistic.

Even GTA 5 had romance intertwined with the characters themselves. Amanda, Tanisha, Patricia. It adds humanity to the characters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Aimesleje said:

 Okay. Define small capacity though. Personally, I think the game has confirmed so much gore that not including sex seems kinda ridiculous.

To be rather blunt, sex & nudity just isn't something I consider when I think about what I want from a "shoot 'em up", cowboy / outlaw themed game.  I'm more focused on the other aspects of the gameplay and mechanics of hunting, performing heists, robberies, customization, weapons, horses, weather, physics, online play, gunplay, character interaction, realism, etc.  Those are the things that will make a difference for me whether I find the game fun or not.  ......not nudity and sex.   

You asked me about "small capacity"?  Let's put it this way.....   I don't need to sit through some graphic, sex filled cutscene to get the idea of characters falling in love, etc.  Like I said, animated sex / nudity simply does nothing for me.

 

I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed GTAV although the humorous elements of the strip club, etc. while funny the first time were not something I ever revisited.  Even then, they were relatively tame and a very tiny part of the game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Aimesleje said:

Call me immature, you're still paying $60 to simulate murder. You can't be that morally superior.

I don't have a moral high ground on this one.  Back in the day, I may or may not have said (somewhat infamously) "look at the t*ts on that flower" when playing Conker Live and Reloaded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Those are the things that will make a difference for me whether I find the game fun or not.  ......not nudity and sex.   

Exactly. If I want to play a game, I'll play a game. If I want to watch people have sex, I'll do what everyone else since the creation of the internet has down and watch some porn.

1 hour ago, Aimesleje said:

I and many others don't really need flying limbs to make a game interesting

If it's not bringing anything to the game, then it serves no purpose in the game. If it's a part of the story, I get it. Doesn't mean it should be anything more than a quick scene. Anything more than that is just adding sex for the sake of adding sex.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Truth said:

If it's not bringing anything to the game, then it serves no purpose in the game. If it's a part of the story, I get it. Doesn't mean it should be anything more than a quick scene. Anything more than that is just adding sex for the sake of adding sex.

By this logic what is the point of an RPG? Do you think the fishing or poker or hunting or the knife mini-game that's been confirmed for RDR2 is "part of the story"? How about the theatre shows or randomly robbing people on the road. The whole point of an RPG is freedom to move away from the story and live life in THAT WORLD as though it's a real place. To create your own story outside of the narrative.

Every side quest and mini game was added "for the sake of being added". For the sake of giving the player a chance to live out Wild West fantasies inside a high quality simulation. All I'm asking is why in an adult game with gratuitous amounts of gore it's frowned upon to have the freedom to have sex. GTA 5 literally had an un-skippable torture sequence - no one batted an eye. But the idea of having a brothel makes people angry. Why? You don't have to visit it. But if the game claims to be an RPG the option should be there. Especially with the companies history with GTA.

All I know is that I will never get the chance to live in the Wild West. And when some multi billion dollar gaming company makes a Wild West simulator with unnecessary amounts of blood and gore I'd hope they allow for sex and romance in it as well. Not pornography, to be sure, but something along the lines of GTA 5. They say this is an RPG. The whole basis of the game is -- heres the Wild West, you're free to be whatever you want.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read the title and thought this for an adult film title. lol

Yeah we really don't need any aspects of sex aside from general passing ones that don't show much. Thing bj's in a car like GTA. That is more a less there for humor than anything and I am okay with that but if we get to a point where this is like the Sims is now and everyone can hook up with everything and be on full display... It would ruin it for me. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree about the money thing. In RDR it was far too easy to make money and there wasn’t a great deal to spend it on. Guns were given to you freely as the game progressed, ammo could easily be looted from dead bodies and there was no real incentive to go and buy a rare breed horse as they served no special purpose. It sounds like this may change in RDR2 and there will be a lot more worthwhile to spend money on e.g. camp and gun upgrades, clothes, horse equipment etc. 

In regards to the sex, it wouldn’t bother me either way if it was included or not. I guess it didn’t make sense for John Marston to sleep with prostitutes as he was a married man and a ‘good’ guy. Arthur may be more free to do what he pleases in terms of that, although we don’t know what his relationship with Sadie is yet.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Aimesleje said:

Every side quest and mini game was added "for the sake of being added".

Side quests and mini games add to the game though...

14 hours ago, Aimesleje said:

But the idea of having a brothel makes people angry.

Sorry if that came across as me being angry, I really wouldn't care at all. I just don't think it's important.

But to be fair, I also don't care for cosmetics in games (for the most part). Just fluff content that serves no real purpose. Some customization is fine, but I don't care to spend hours creating my character. I want to play the game, so I often use the defaults.

 

8 hours ago, riptide87 said:

Thing bj's in a car like GTA.

That was one of my first clips on xbox. I was just driving around trying to find a place to bring her and parked on the train tracks. That forced the train to stop and the conductor watched us the whole time. I thought it was hilarious!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Aimesleje said:

All I'm asking is why in an adult game with gratuitous amounts of gore it's frowned upon to have the freedom to have sex. 

Sounds like you're misinterpreting people's indifference to sexual content in games as some sort of moral high ground.  If you read most of these replies I believe you will see that there is a common tone of simple disinterest in the topic in this sense.  It seems you're trying to create an argument where there is none.  

Personally, all of those other activities in RDR2 sound interesting to me as I'm sure R* also thought they would be.  To be frank, I don't get the desire to have sexually explicit content in the game but okay, that's your thing.  I'm just saying that folks like me don't need it or necessarily feel it adds value.  I also don't believe you can't have one without the other as you seem to be suggesting.  .....as if you're saying it's not okay to have graphic violence in a game unless you have sex too.  

I wasn't offended by the sex scenes in the Witcher but I also didn't think they were necessary either.  I wouldn't have felt the game was lacking without them but that's just me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Truth said:

That was one of my first clips on xbox. I was just driving around trying to find a place to bring her and parked on the train tracks. That forced the train to stop and the conductor watched us the whole time. I thought it was hilarious!

This is terrible but I have a younger cousin and his dad ignorantly bought GTA 4 for him. Didn't read the label or anything. He was 8 years old at the time mind you. He goes up to his mom a few days later asking "what is a condom" and she didn't know where it was coming from. I happened to be over there helping with some yard work and heard him giggling and found him get bj's from hookers. I don't know if he fully understood what was happening but he thought it was pretty funny.

Now I hope there aren't other kids his age playing this kind of game but I am sure there is. 😐

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, liquidfire said:

This is terrible but I have a younger cousin and his dad ignorantly bought GTA 4 for him. Didn't read the label or anything. He was 8 years old at the time mind you. He goes up to his mom a few days later asking "what is a condom" and she didn't know where it was coming from. I happened to be over there helping with some yard work and heard him giggling and found him get bj's from hookers. I don't know if he fully understood what was happening but he thought it was pretty funny.

Now I hope there aren't other kids his age playing this kind of game but I am sure there is. 😐

To be fair, the father's lucky. The kid could have gotten to the torture sequence. Poor kid would have needed therapy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Aimesleje said:

To be fair, the father's lucky. The kid could have gotten to the torture sequence. Poor kid would have needed therapy.

That was GTA V though not 4 right? Either way, I think he was just driving around and not following the story which was a good thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I prefer sex, money, and rock and roll myself. 

On 10/4/2018 at 4:03 PM, liquidfire said:

This is terrible but I have a younger cousin and his dad ignorantly bought GTA 4 for him. Didn't read the label or anything. He was 8 years old at the time

Did they get a parent of the year award for that?  I wish that was a thing you could actually mail someone for doing something incredibly stupid with a kid.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Personally, I like sex in RPG’s. You have to eat, sleep, get a haircut etc. Why not have consensual sex as part of the game? It’s fun to watch, build relationships and roll about. 

 

Good examples are Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. The relationships in DAI were great. In Witcher there was a lot of sex . 

 

Kids shouldn’t be playing these games anyway. Why can’t people parent their children so adults can enjoy adult related content? 

 

I’ve always liked sex in games. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to partake. But, to leave it out looks like they’re pandering. There’s no way I’m the only one who likes sex and relationships in games. 

 

I also enjoy using ten dead eye crosses on bad people’s head. Boom, no more head. Is this more acceptable to allow offspring to play? Looks that way. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Jem Adler said:

There’s no way I’m the only one who likes sex and relationships in games. 

You're not alone. I don't see anyone flat out saying it should not be added. Most people just don't see the value in it but don't care either way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Jem Adler said:

Personally, I like sex in RPG’s. You have to eat, sleep, get a haircut etc. Why not have consensual sex as part of the game? It’s fun to watch, build relationships and roll about. 

 

Good examples are Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. The relationships in DAI were great. In Witcher there was a lot of sex . 

 

Kids shouldn’t be playing these games anyway. Why can’t people parent their children so adults can enjoy adult related content? 

 

I’ve always liked sex in games. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to partake. But, to leave it out looks like they’re pandering. There’s no way I’m the only one who likes sex and relationships in games. 

 

I also enjoy using ten dead eye crosses on bad people’s head. Boom, no more head. Is this more acceptable to allow offspring to play? Looks that way. 

I agree with this so much! I as an adult human being is feeling way more immersed in the fictional world depicted in any game, if there are many ways to interact with said world. I am 36, married and I have two children with my wife. We have been married for 13 years so it is not like I am a virgin living in my parents basement and would like to use RDR2 as a tool for mastrubation. I just like choices and I loved how sex was portrayed in the mentioned games above but also in “Kingdom Come, Deliverance”. In the game the player character can use bathhouses and order extra services, just like in RDR2. The difference is that if one pays for sex the screen fades to black and we hear some noises that should simulate the sexual act. 

 

I think it is a nice mechanic and it well situated in the time period the game is trying to depict, just like RDR2. Do not get me wrong, the game do not fall just because there is no sex in the game as I would still consider RDR2 one of my all time favorite games. In modern time, only TLOU is on par but they are way too different games to really compete with each other. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Madrigalian said:

I am all for adding sex just for the sake of adding sex, in pretty much any and all aspects of my daily life.   So... yeah.  There's that. 

Alright, I'll give you that one...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was never opposed to it being in the game but it didn't need to be in the game. I get the realistic aspect of it. Like at the very least they should allow players to interact with some lued transactions online just to be funny. If not with each other, with prostitutes. They were big back then with those brothel houses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...