Best guns to carry?

Steven Kreg

5 minutes ago, Steven Kreg said:

dual wield schofields?

would that be better than sawed offs?

The cool thing about this game is that there really is no such a thing as a "better" set up IMO.  It really depends on the individual, their preference, their goals and their playstyle.  It boils down to what works for you and the task(s) at hand.

The best guns are the ones you are comfortable with. Once fully upgraded in gun store they will get a bit better the more you use them. There are stats I can't figure out regarding familiarity. Basically, the more you use it the better the stats seem to get. Only to a certain point tho. Maybe someone here can explain this better?

49 minutes ago, DNMNetTech said:

The best guns are the ones you are comfortable with. Once fully upgraded in gun store they will get a bit better the more you use them. There are stats I can't figure out regarding familiarity. Basically, the more you use it the better the stats seem to get. Only to a certain point tho. Maybe someone here can explain this better?

There are a lot of elements like that in this game which R* is either vague about it simply doesn't inform us about. 

Personally, in free roam, I carry the varmit rifle in my hands, bolt action or bow on my back and a pair of sawnoffs in my holsters. I like to keep the varmit rifle out because I kill absolutely every critter that crosses my path as I ride around... I like having the bolt action handy for when I come across big game or get into a long range fight. The duel sawnoffs are deadly for most any close encounter you find... they fill a nice compromise gap between pistols and long shotguns.

in showdown, I like a lever (currently trying to ‘git gud’ With the Evans), dual sawnoffs, and the bolt action. But don’t take advice from me. I’m firmly lower middle of the pack at these things...

I've tried several variants, at the end whats works best for me is:

In free roam:

- Double sawed off

- Lancaster Repeater

- Carcano Rifle or Bow with all type of arrows

In PvP:

- Double sawed off

- Semi auto shotgun

- Lancaster Repeater

In my opinion, double sawed off + semi auto shotgun is the deadliest combination in close combat. It is very personal because it fits my play style but it is very effective anyway. Just need to be careful with ammunition. 

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone experience using Carcano in daily fights? What type of ammunition is available for Carcano? 

Does n't the (head) aiming takes to much time during actions? 

I'm now using my Bold action for long distance. So, is it the Carcano a great improvement considering the price?

Edited by Herta47

9 hours ago, Herta47 said:

Anyone experience using Carcano in daily fights? What type of ammunition is available for Carcano? 

Does n't the (head) aiming takes to much time during actions? 

I'm now using my Bold action for long distance. So, is it the Carcano a great improvement considering the price?

Unless you're excellent at free aiming through a scope, a carcano should only be used for hunting from a distance. It uses rifle ammo just like the bolt action or Springfield. Ditto for the Rolling Block.

On 3/19/2019 at 2:31 PM, Steven Kreg said:

I'm thinking dual wield sawed off shotguns for sidearms for close combat.

a sniper rifle for long shots.

and what for the other gun? a repeater? bolt action?

thoughts?

I like to carry two sawed off's. a repeater with high velocity ammo and a scope on it, and a Springfield also with a scope on it and high velocity, they are very powerful, the repeater is quicker, the springfield has range and one shot kills, the sawed offs will remove heads and limbs at close range so it is awesome in a fight, two of them are defenseless, I dont care what you do, 4 shots at once and your dead.

17 hours ago, lumper said:

I like to carry two sawed off's. a repeater with high velocity ammo and a scope on it, and a Springfield also with a scope on it and high velocity, they are very powerful, the repeater is quicker, the springfield has range and one shot kills, the sawed offs will remove heads and limbs at close range so it is awesome in a fight, two of them are defenseless, I dont care what you do, 4 shots at once and your dead.

Express bullets do more damage than high velocity. HV will increase your range a little bit.

• Like 1

I've tried several iterations on my go to weapons.  Dual wielding Schofields, Volcanic plus a schofield or sawed off, Bolt Action Rifle, etc.  Here is what I have currently settled on...

Dual Wield -  Sawed Off  - With equipped incendiary rounds -  This makes short work of any close quarter or surprise encounter. It also means I keep my back and shoulder free, not having to carry another shotgun.  Switching out the incendiary rounds is quick and painless when not needed. 

Over the Shoulder -  Evans Repeater - Express Rounds - Fast fire rate, lots of rounds - perfect for close to mid range fast paced action.  No need for a pistol. 

Across the back - Springfield Rifle - High Velocity rounds for range - I used the Bolt Action for a long time.  I just found I liked the Springfield better as I seemed to get more 1 shot kills.  Could just be perception though.  Put a mid size scope on it for long range targets. 

There are certainly better more specialized weapons for specific situational uses.  Sniper rifles, pump action shotguns, etc.  But for me, the above set up has worked best for every day free roam and most events.  YMMV. 

• Like 1

Currently for me 

Free roam:

- Dual sawed-offs or Dual Schofield (expl ammo)

- Bolt Action (my personal best)

- Varmint rifle ( for hunting - i also use it in misions if i go in to shoot the birds etc)

Pvp :

- Dual sawed-offs

- Bolt Action

- Semi -automatic rifle (changed from repeater shotgun)

Now one thing im very very curious of: It was said somwhere that by using a certain gun You can increase its stats a bit and yes i noticed that.

On 3/19/2019 at 8:39 PM, DNMNetTech said:

Once fully upgraded in gun store they will get a bit better the more you use them. There are stats I can't figure out regarding familiarity. Basically, the more you use it the better the stats seem to get. Only to a certain point tho. Maybe someone here can explain this better?

I wanted to ask this on forum today. How does it work? does it only apply to one gun of each type? for ex i have a bolt action maxed out on stats - when i start using springfield will the stats on it increase and decrease on bolt action ? or the once increased stats by using a certain weapon stay forever?  I bought semi auto shotgun and it sux compared to my repeater shotgun bcoz i have "exped" that shotgun since the start. I would like to exp the other shotgun too what i am doing now and curious about the whole thing. Cant find an explanation nowhere. 

Edited by James Hickok_1837

1 hour ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Currently for me 

Free roam:

- Varmint rifle ( for hunting - i also use it in misions if i go in to shoot the birds etc)

Pvp :

- Dual sawed-offs

- Bolt Action

Now one thing im very very curious of: It was said somwhere that by using a certain gun You can increase its stats a bit and yes i noticed that.

I wanted to ask this on forum today. How does it work? does it only apply to one gun of each type? for ex i have a bolt action maxed out on stats - when i start using springfield will the stats on it increase and decrease on bolt action ? or the once increased stats by using a certain weapon stay forever?  I bought semi auto shotgun and it sux compared to my repeater shotgun bcoz i have "exped" that shotgun since the start. I would like to exp the other shotgun too what i am doing now and curious about the whole thing. Cant find an explanation nowhere. 

I haven't figured out the whole familiarity thing with the guns. I only read about it but there was no further information I could find on how it works. I can't even find the original thread I read it on now. I would also like to know if it is based on type or model. I have used the lancaster repeater but didn't want to get the evans if It was based on model.

Does anyone have further information on gun familiarity?

21 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Currently for me 

Free roam:

Pvp :

- Dual sawed-offs

- Bolt Action

Im going to read the official guide and see what it say's Ill post back tomorrow.

I noticed my overall stats increased on my Springfield and wondered why.

There is no best gun to carry, just different setups depending on your situation and what your wanna do like most have mentioned.

Hunting: bolt action/Springfield rifle, varmint rifle, double sawed off shotguns.

Free roam missions: Springfield rifle, double sawed off, bow with dynamite arrows loaded

Showdown (generally): double Scofield revolvers, either Springfield or bolt action, repeating shotgun.

Varies a little depending on my card set up too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...