Ability Cards; What's Your Recommendation For Defensive Solo Play?

KylesDad7

I've got Slow & Steady for Dead Eye at lvl 2, and then Come Back Stronger, Winning Streak, and Peak Condition all at lvl 3. But I set these up in  the days before Defensive mode and back when it seemed every other player you met was an a**hole griefer. SO what do you think I should go with now?

I also have Slow and Steady for dead eye at lvl 3, Winning Streak, Horseman, and Strange Medicine all at lvl 3.

But so far, I haven't really had to play defense against other players, but it's probably because of the update.  I think more people will gradually start playing griefer again later on.

1 hour ago, KylesDad7 said:

I've got Slow & Steady for Dead Eye at lvl 2, and then Come Back Stronger, Winning Streak, and Peak Condition all at lvl 3. But I set these up in  the days before Defensive mode and back when it seemed every other player you met was an a**hole griefer. SO what do you think I should go with now?

I was experimenting with defensive and offensive load outs, currently I am running a pretty strong one, they call it a tank load out, meaning you are goign to be hard to kill.

Slow and Steady, Iron Lung, Peak Condition, and The Unblinking eye.

I had been running two horse cards, one makes you harder to kill while the other makes you more powerful when on the offensive, the problem is since the update the drain rate of dead eye seems faster to me, so I went back to the unblinking eye to prolong it by an extra 15 seconds.

I had tested this prior to the update then again after.

Pre update the difference was 5 seconds, now it is 15 seconds so it is well worth it f you plan to run Slow and Steady.

You can mess with lots of various combinations but this one has done me good, I am very hard to kill when running dead eye, and still able to get one shot kills with either the Springfield or Bolt action.

Try a few different load outs, never without one isnt worth it anymore, Slippery doesnt seem worth it anymore, Paint it black can be in pvp but in free roam you dont need it, unless you prefer it for hunting and gun fights, but really the auto aim does all the work anyway so I found it better to drop it and run slow and steady, but thats me.

Regardless what you run I suggest you go tier 3 on all cards, the difference can be a lot in certain circumstances.

For the record I do plan to try the gunslingers choice or whatever the dual wielding card that we on Xbox are still waiting for as part of an offensive load out, once it is available to us Ill update this with a few variations.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 1

I'm liking PIB again at the moment - its not really defensive but I find it useful (and fun) on BH & Trader missions to clear out a bunch of enemies right off the bat. I'll use S&S when I need a defensive hand like the legendary bounties. I then run with Peak Condition, Come Back Stronger & Strange Medicine normally but I just started building up XP on Iron Lung. 

Slow and Steady, Iron Long, Fool Me Once  all together allows you to take alot of shots (especially head shots) and live.  

Last card, id use is Live for the Fight to always have your dead eye on charge (And Peak condition OR Strange Medicine for a side swap when dead eyes full)

That set up is perfect defense against cheat shots artists and PIB users.  Its almost comical how many shots you can take.   

Been using this set-up since SB was ruined by R*.    Been called a hacker for using it, so that pretty much sums it up.

That being said, SB is the counter to this set up^.   So if you're dealing with someone using SB, swap to PIB.

Edited by HuDawg
  • Like 2

I revised my build to a tank build, check it out.

Slow and Steady, 

Iron Lung

Fool me once

The unblinking eye

I am thinking of messing with Unblinking eye and adding yet another defensive card even, but I like the extra 15 seconds of dead eye, so far this build is crazy good for defense, very very hard to kill.

Not the best for offensive, but thats another build all together.

This build is good for free roam, if someone takes a shot at you, you are going to survive.

I had a posse try to stop me from taking a wagon from Rio Bravo to Riggs station, I made it nearly to Blackwater or outside of Blackwater when they attacked, I was able to kill them each three times before one got me with a stick of dynamite, I was 1 second too slow to shoot him or I would have gotten him too, I didnt see him throwing the stick, lol

Exploding rounds and the above build made me nearly invincible to them, if not for dynamite I am sure I would have thwarted them, I had tons of ammo left plus dyna arrows.

Anyway try it, it is a solid build.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2019 at 6:09 AM, Feorh said:

Never without One , Strange Medicine, Cold Blooded, Slow and Steady (tank stile setup)

for dead eye chewing tobacco.

Never without one used to be good, now it stinks, a neck shot or face shot and you die, it used to be anything in the head at all and you got a free passs for that one shot, the trick was to use a posse outfit so you could put your hat back on after you got shot but before you re spawned, if you cant get your hat back on its a waste and now the way they nerfed it makes it useless if you ask me, better options out there now, IMO.

On 9/25/2019 at 5:30 AM, CosmoKramer said:

I'm liking PIB again at the moment - its not really defensive but I find it useful (and fun) on BH & Trader missions to clear out a bunch of enemies right off the bat. I'll use S&S when I need a defensive hand like the legendary bounties. I then run with Peak Condition, Come Back Stronger & Strange Medicine normally but I just started building up XP on Iron Lung. 

PIB is great against SB, otherwise you have auto aim and it works well, you can also dial it in in your settings from normal to wide or narrow and it really helps alot.

For defense it isnt any good it eats a slot you could use Slow and Steady in which is fantastic for defense.

• Like 1

The one im using today both in pve and pvp :

PiB - absolutely OP ability card even after the dead eye drain nerf. With this you will shoot faster than anyone bcoz of the instant acuracy when fast tapping the skill (you need Elite Pad  to make it efficient)

Live for the fight - Dead eye constant regeneration. I love this new card. It keeps my dead eye always active and i hardly ever use snake oil. 

Iron Lung - Very strong ability card. Great dmg reduction. 

Fool me once - works magic with iron lung. It takes 3 shots form bolt action rifle to take you down. This is great when a lot of targets shoot at you and the bonus maxes out making a tank out of you - when HP drops pop a healing potion and carry on. 

When hunting i change fool me once for Peak Condition to be sure to one shot kill any big game i come across. 

So this is what im running now and it works for me. 

I would love to try the dual wield card when it comes to xbox. Mauser Pistols were nerfed after update and maybe with this perk they will shine again. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 7:20 PM, lumper said:

I revised my build to a tank build, check it out.

Slow and Steady, 

Iron Lung

Fool me once

The unblinking eye

I am thinking of messing with Unblinking eye and adding yet another defensive card even, but I like the extra 15 seconds of dead eye, so far this build is crazy good for defense, very very hard to kill.

Not the best for offensive, but thats another build all together.

This build is good for free roam, if someone takes a shot at you, you are going to survive.

I had a posse try to stop me from taking a wagon from Rio Bravo to Riggs station, I made it nearly to Blackwater or outside of Blackwater when they attacked, I was able to kill them each three times before one got me with a stick of dynamite, I was 1 second too slow to shoot him or I would have gotten him too, I didnt see him throwing the stick, lol

Exploding rounds and the above build made me nearly invincible to them, if not for dynamite I am sure I would have thwarted them, I had tons of ammo left plus dyna arrows.

Anyway try it, it is a solid build.

Thank you for this lumper! I have been trying to figure out the best builds for defense when running missions..

Edited by EaglesLanding

9 hours ago, EaglesLanding said:

Thank you for this lumper! I have been trying to figure out the best builds for defense when running missions..

Your welcome, it is an awesome tank build, makes you hard to kill, just keep plenty of tonics on hand and use the camp special stews or eat up some Big game meat with Thyme for yellow cores too, now your unstoppable.

• Like 1

Yeah that tank build is a beast lol. I saw a guy using it on shwodown and it worked magic lol. He was drawing fire on him and hes teammates were sniping those that attacked the tank.   I shot him like 5 times with a bolt action express and did minimal dmg. 

i used it y-day on elimination series daily ( it was bugged and didnt count anyway ) and won all 3 in a row competing with lvl range from 100 to 400. 

Im sure this will be nerfed but atm this build is a beast. 

On 10/15/2019 at 7:24 AM, James Hickok_1837 said:

Yeah that tank build is a beast lol. I saw a guy using it on shwodown and it worked magic lol. He was drawing fire on him and hes teammates were sniping those that attacked the tank.   I shot him like 5 times with a bolt action express and did minimal dmg. 

i used it y-day on elimination series daily ( it was bugged and didnt count anyway ) and won all 3 in a row competing with lvl range from 100 to 400. 

Im sure this will be nerfed but atm this build is a beast. 

Yeah its crazy how many shots you can withstand with it.

I improvised it a little last night, I added the Gunslinger card, and leveled it up to tier 3 in one session, with the 30% xp bonus it was very easy to level it up.

Im not 100% sold on it yet, it is fun to use and very effective, I just cant tell if it is really any better than before, or whether I should keep the defensive build as it was before this card or not, but for now I am using it.

Slow and Steady, Iron lung, Kick in the butt and Gunslingers choice is my current build.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:35 PM, lumper said:

Yeah its crazy how many shots you can withstand with it.

I improvised it a little last night, I added the Gunslinger card, and leveled it up to tier 3 in one session, with the 30% xp bonus it was very easy to level it up.

Im not 100% sold on it yet, it is fun to use and very effective, I just cant tell if it is really any better than before, or whether I should keep the defensive build as it was before this card or not, but for now I am using it.

Slow and Steady, Iron lung, Kick in the butt and Gunslingers choice is my current build.

Great info @lumper thank you!

What are you finding is best for PvE these days (i.e Bounty Hunter missions, etc.)? I have been using:

1) Paint it Black III, Iron Lung III, Kick in the Butt III and Cold Blooded III ... or
2) Quite an Inspiration III, Iron Lung III, Kick in the Butt III and Gunslingers Choice III

4 hours ago, EaglesLanding said:

What are you finding is best for PvE these days (i.e Bounty Hunter missions, etc.)?

I use: Quite an Inspiration / Live for the Fight / Eye for an Eye / The Unblinking Eye

As long as I'm getting head shots  while using dead eye, I'm always having full dead eye circle, since Eye for an Eye works while dead eye is active. When I'm shot I turn on dead eye for the health with Quite an Inspiration. I never have to use tonics with this pve build.

2nd option: Quite an Inspiration / Live for the Fight / Eye for an Eye / The gift of Focus.

Just started using this, seeing if The gift of Focus contributes to Live for the Fight & Eye for an Eye. Not sure if it does, but it seems like I have full dead eye all the time.

• Like 1

For solo pve free roaming defensive i would recommend:

Paint it black - it gives you instant max accuracy whithout painting and gives you extra distance and accuracy with painting to shoot a griefer that is way up in the mountains for example (the normal range will not catch him but you can paint and it will lock on him - one exposive round and hes gone.)  Its also good for shooting multiple animals (deer groups etc) fast and accurate using fast tap without painting. 

Peak condition - for extra dmg 

Iron lung - its great to recover stamina and gives extra defence combined with fool me once it even prevents from beeing one shot with an explosive round. 

Fool me once - another protection card. It procs really good when multiple enemys fire on you. 

To one shot animals that are big i would recommend using Springfield other than bolt action. 

I even go pvp with this build sometimes. 

What i realy enjoy is this :

PiB

Winning streak

Gunslingers choice

Peak condition

With this one you are squishy but with dual mausers or dual sawed offs, or revolvers it has power. Very entertaining to go to pvp and hip blast them to oblivion. Problem is ammo ends fast on mausers :P and you have to get out to refill. 

Personally, and it is just my opinion, I dont like to use PIB or any other offensive cards in pve, I find you dont need them.

Better in my case to be full on defensive, I can still lock on and hit my targets without PIB and with my build I can take an awful lot of punishment so I have longer to shoot back.

Believe it or not, when you use slow and steady, you dont get bloom so shooting is very easy, perhaps not as good as PIB but I dont need it to be, I rarely die.

In pvp yeah sure, I would go both ways to see what works best for each mode, but I dont play pvp anymore so for me, I use PIB once in a while if I am hunting a flock of birds for example on the ground and I want to shot them all, otherwise...

Slow and steady

Fool me once

Iron lung

then either Gunslingers choice or one more defensive card.

Ive been experimenting with gunslingers choice but Im not 100% sold on it as of now, I still think better to do all defensive cards, making it hard to kill you then rely on your skill, auto aim and your ammo types to fight for you, when you can sustain several direct hits you have a l more time to fire back.

I like PiB more than S&S in free roam bcoz i tend to get attacked a lot and specifically from a distance so im always ready to shoot back quick. I dont like the movement penalty S&S implements. I move a lot while i fight. 

S&S is a very good card. Hell it was my best back in the day. I only use the tank build now when i go into elimination series. 

For everything else i use PiB, Fool me once (sometimes i swap for horseman while hunting), Iron lung, Peak Condition  both pvp and pve. 

I think its just 2 diffrent playstyles. 

I go with S&S, fool me once, iron lung and unblinking eye. UE comes in handy since it not only extends dead eye time, but eagle eye time too which I use to scan for non metal detector collectibles while galloping at full speed on my horse thanks to the bounty hunter skill.

On 9/25/2019 at 7:31 AM, HuDawg said:

Slow and Steady, Iron Long, Fool Me Once  all together allows you to take alot of shots (especially head shots) and live.  

Last card, id use is Live for the Fight to always have your dead eye on charge (And Peak condition OR Strange Medicine for a side swap when dead eyes full)...

Agreed 100%. I run Strange Medicine as my final card when I simply don't want to die ever. When I want to not die, but also inflict crazy damage while not dying, I run Gunslinger's Choice or Peak Performance.

Edited by We Are Ninja

On 10/28/2019 at 3:31 PM, Vaderspupil said:

I go with S&S, fool me once, iron lung and unblinking eye. UE comes in handy since it not only extends dead eye time, but eagle eye time too which I use to scan for non metal detector collectibles while galloping at full speed on my horse thanks to the bounty hunter skill.

Yesterday i compared Unblinking eye with the tank buid and without unblinking eye. I know that it worked great in the past but it seems something changed. 

The difrence in dead eye drain with and without UE was so small i was even wondering if there is any. bugged?  Ill check that today as well. 

I changed UE with Stranger Medicine and went 5* bounty and it was better imo then with UE. 

On 10/22/2019 at 12:41 PM, EaglesLanding said:

Great info @lumper thank you!

What are you finding is best for PvE these days (i.e Bounty Hunter missions, etc.)? I have been using:

1) Paint it Black III, Iron Lung III, Kick in the Butt III and Cold Blooded III ... or
2) Quite an Inspiration III, Iron Lung III, Kick in the Butt III and Gunslingers Choice III

To be honest with you, I only use PIB once in a while, depending on the situation, 9999% of the time, I run S&S, fool me once, kick in the butt and Iron lung.

It works great for me.

I prefer it as I know for sure unless you hit me with a dyna arrow you wont kill me, I have plenty of time to drink a tonic, and either split, or charge, either way, I am good for a long fight, as I am 100% stocked everywhere I go, so in a situation like this I have tons of tonics and enriched big game meat.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:41 AM, James Hickok_1837 said:

I like PiB more than S&S in free roam bcoz i tend to get attacked a lot and specifically from a distance so im always ready to shoot back quick. I dont like the movement penalty S&S implements. I move a lot while i fight. 

S&S is a very good card. Hell it was my best back in the day. I only use the tank build now when i go into elimination series. 

For everything else i use PiB, Fool me once (sometimes i swap for horseman while hunting), Iron lung, Peak Condition  both pvp and pve. 

I think its just 2 diffrent playstyles. 

Quick tip, if you use the Breton while you are using S&S you dont slow down!! lol

So if you are on horseback say hunting, and you get attacked, you can go straight into s&S and ride hard to the targets, until they fix it, use it, more defense and speed to boot, plus you loose bloom and your accuracy improves drastically.

• 1 month later...

I used to know what the good cards were and have all my ability cards maxed out.

For solo I tend to use the two horse ones "horseman" and "friends for life".. They both help mounted offense and defense.. which is where most grieving occurs.

I have survived dynamite blasts with my horse.. not always.. but sometimes.  Im driving a Breton atm... will upgrade to this new horse.. just waiting for videos on them... apparently its the fastest horse so far... sounds good.. idk.   For defensive... I switch them up... I used to like "never without one".. but it doesn't slow people down much and you can only re-hat f you have your horse and "friends for life" mainly.

If Im on horseback...  these things all come together..

You can also dodge some bullets from horseback from bounty hunter leveling.

I will use "winning streak" or "landons patience" depending on terrain.. and amount of shots.

I used to use "focus fire" to increase damage and one shot with rifles better... but now I mostly exclusively use exploding ammo against griefers.

Dynamite arrows are good... even with bad aiming prevalent in defensive mode.    I got a warning shot while shopping at nazar and dynamited both of them and the donkeys they rode in on.    Even with the defensive self aim...

incendiary shotgun shells are the most fun.. They set fire to player and horse if wide spread.. but they may stay alive long enough to kill you.. but the screaming is funny.

Double Navy revolvers.... they have insanely long barrels and accuracy... test with accuracy circles of what you carry now vs navy revolver...  I carry two of them with exploding ammo.... can take down a few posses... NOTE: the pink copper color is free... and looks awesome as a metal color.

For battlegrounds and missions.. these cards may not apply.. Im just talking how I normally travel around.

I always have Paint It Black equipped along side winning streak, peak condition and for the life of me I can't remember my 4th card lol, someone was taking pot shots at me while in free roam and hit me at least 3 times maybe more, I ended up just killing him with one shot using my trusty LeMat Revolver, I think it's the most under rated gun in the game but I love it along with my Evans Repeater.

On 9/24/2019 at 7:10 PM, KylesDad7 said:

The ones you mentioned are all good.

These are subjective as people play differently so there is no hard fast rule.

What I found was a few cards like The unblinking eye and never without one, used to be opretty solid but have been buffed and nerfed to the point they dont make sense anymore, at least for me and my play style, others have taken their place.

My current build is pve and free roam ready, it is set up in case I am unexpectedly attacked I can survive the initial attack and then have time to fight back or run, other times I may change it up if I am going to clear hideouts or play pvp.

I have a few builds I use for defensive modes, one is a tank build, you are nearly indestructible except for dynamite.

Slow and Steady

Iron lung

fool me once

Peak condition

Is one build, but below are also good cards that can compliment some of these, like Iron lung and Peak condition go well together as both depend on your stamina level.

And eye for an eye and gift of focus are also good cards for dead eye restoration.

Some depend on your killing others while others are passive and reward you regardless of your actions, so if you are in pvp where you will be getting lots of kills then tweaking them a bit is in order.

I used the rewards from this club membership to unlock and level up a few cards I never used before so I can try them all, all that are relevant to how I play anyway.

Whatever you do, level them up to tier 3 for best results

Kick in the butt, Live for the fight, strange medicine, peak condition, and eye for an eye, winning streak, come back stronger,  and gunslingers choice are all good cards as well and can be swapped out.