So who here is getting the PC version of the game?

KVNknowsbest

I know some of you guys have to be getting it. I actually know one person from another forum who didn't play RDR2 at all. He was waiting for the PC release. He was sure they would do it and he was right. So for him, getting the game is an obvious win. 

So who here is getting the PC version? If you are, did you already play it on console? 

9 hours ago, KVNknowsbest said:

I know some of you guys have to be getting it. I actually know one person from another forum who didn't play RDR2 at all. He was waiting for the PC release. He was sure they would do it and he was right. So for him, getting the game is an obvious win. 

So who here is getting the PC version? If you are, did you already play it on console? 

Personally no, I won't be getting it.  Partly because it already looks so darned good and plays so smoothly on my Xbox One X that I don't feel I'm missing out, and in greater part because I work mostly from home, so I keep games off the PC in the interests of being able to actually get some work done!  Even had to take Sim City off the PC.  I know, I'm weak.  So these days I prefer a console for gaming and a PC for making actual money rather than in-game currency.  Great that there's another avenue for more players to get to the game, though (although I wish we could all mingle on servers, rather than being locked in to playing with others using the same platform).

I played the game on console. I am not sure yet if I will buy it again for PC. It honestly comes down to money. If I have $60 to spare and nothing else I want at the time, I will get it. I mean if the mods are a thing, that alone is enough of a reason for me to buy it. Had a blast with GTA mods in the past. 

*raises hand*

I am! I actually built my PC this year. The last one I had couldn't even handle DOOM on low settings. I wanted to get more into PC gaming since I started playing on my roommate's build so he helped me pick out some parts and guided me through the process. I wanted to make sure it could play RDR2 if and when it came out and thankfully, it can run it fine. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HIGHHorse said:

I likely will get it but not right away. My current PC would only just be able to handle it. I would have to make that investment first in the form of a general overhaul and upgrade then see where my money is at that point. 

Same. I am in no rush to buy it either. I enjoyed the game a lot on console. I just don't see a need to buy it on PC yet, plus my computer wouldn't handle it the way I would want to play it. Not in a state of being able to afford an upgrade either. 

I pre-purchased it through R*'s launcher the other day. I got Bully and LA Noire free with it too. Partly due  to how impressed I was with the PC version of GTAV. Also I feel I'd enjoy doing a new play through of the game. And I feel I could play better with K+M in multiplayer than using the PS4 controller. 

• Like 1

Not me. I can hardly keep up with console gaming, never mind keeping a PC up to snuff for gaming. For me, PC is pretty much only there for doing photos and work. I’ll keep my PS4 for games probably well into the the PS5s lifespan. (Or at least until they release a GTA or RDR that I just have to buy a new console to play).

On 10/16/2019 at 7:39 AM, SimonTemplar said:

Personally no, I won't be getting it.  Partly because it already looks so darned good and plays so smoothly on my Xbox One X that I don't feel I'm missing out, and in greater part because I work mostly from home, so I keep games off the PC in the interests of being able to actually get some work done!  Even had to take Sim City off the PC.  I know, I'm weak.  So these days I prefer a console for gaming and a PC for making actual money rather than in-game currency.  Great that there's another avenue for more players to get to the game, though (although I wish we could all mingle on servers, rather than being locked in to playing with others using the same platform).

I can understand that reasoning, makes sense. Same here man. Like the option to be able to play with my friends on PS, on PC, and on Xbox would be great but I know it isn't something they are likely to do anytime soon. 

• Like 1

Not sure my computer can handle the game or not yet. My specs are right at the bottom so I guess it depends on that. If I find it can't, I will just have to wait until I am able to afford a PC upgrade. I am hoping to get some giftcards and such for Christmas to buy some parts. 

On 10/22/2019 at 10:24 PM, RON said:

Not sure my computer can handle the game or not yet. My specs are right at the bottom so I guess it depends on that. If I find it can't, I will just have to wait until I am able to afford a PC upgrade. I am hoping to get some giftcards and such for Christmas to buy some parts. 

If you are not sure, post your specs and I can ask my friend for you. He knows how to build PC's and customize everything. Alternatively, you can wait for the Steam release and if it doesn't run, get a refund. 

----

Also, I shall be getting the game on PC. I hope enough folks here are getting it. We can form a posse! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, shawn said:

If you are not sure, post your specs and I can ask my friend for you. He knows how to build PC's and customize everything. Alternatively, you can wait for the Steam release and if it doesn't run, get a refund. 

I don't know if many people know that this is an option. There are plenty of times people have gotten refunds as well even past the allowed play time. I guess since they track the time you spend in game it makes it easier to see who was playing and who was struggling to play. 

On 10/19/2019 at 10:28 PM, SNAK3S said:

Same. I am in no rush to buy it either. I enjoyed the game a lot on console. I just don't see a need to buy it on PC yet, plus my computer wouldn't handle it the way I would want to play it. Not in a state of being able to afford an upgrade either. 

A friend of mine preordered it the other day and his PC isn't as powerful as mine but he is convinced it will run it. I will get the specs and let you know if it can and PM you. I mean if his can run the game find on low settings, mine can more than handle the game.

On 10/26/2019 at 10:23 PM, shawn said:

I'm just going to wait for Steam but I appreciate the help offered. I think I would prefer it on Steam regardless. If I have any issues with the game, I'd rather go through their customer support than Rockstar's.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 11:02 PM, RON said:

I'm just going to wait for Steam but I appreciate the help offered. I think I would prefer it on Steam regardless. If I have any issues with the game, I'd rather go through their customer support than Rockstar's.

Yeah and I don't blame you. Having had contact Rockstar in the past over some issues, it can turn into a migraine real fast.

• Like 1

I am waiting until the game is stable on most pcs and I also am waiting to see how the script kiddies (improperly called hackers) attack the game. Not going to get a game that was full of the nonsense we had with grievers and such on console mevermind on the pc, "the games" these idiots can play with the games we enjoy.

You know, I think it was Kean_1 that said somewhere in a thread (can't remember which sorry), you have to judge for yourself if it is worth it to buy it (again) on the PC! Personally, I couldn't care less about the PC version, simply because you have to spend so much money for a new PC in order to get it to run equal or better then the Xbox One X version (which is the best console version at this time I write this)!

A Nvidia RTX 2080 TI GPU, which is the fastest and most expensive (between 1200 and 1400 euro in my country) videocard, has difficulties running the game on 4K @ 60 fps with all details set to max! I read it everywhere and also here: https://wccftech.com/game-ready-driver-for-rdr2-out-now-rtx-2080ti-can-only-do-4k60-with-a-mix-of-medium-high-settings/

Now, the only reason for me to play a game on a PC is that it would play a lot better or give a heck more details then a console version! And since it will cost you so much money to get a better experience to play this game on the PC, I would say no thanks! I was right thought, this PC version will be the upcoming version the Xbox Scarlett and PS5 will get with some improvements and/or digital extras! I don't have a new PC, so I could not play the game anywhere near the level of the Xbox One X and I am not willing to pay a "fistful of dollars" or "a view dollars more" to get another lacking experience from those Rockstar money wolfs! And with lacking experience I mean the PS4 Pro game and it's terrible support on it!

And now I come to my point of which I also take in consideration and that is you have to buy the game again! That is a sneaky strategy that Rockstar did for many years and which I also fell for in the past! They sell you a console game and then they hope you will buy it again for the PC. With some minor improvements and perks etc they want to sucker you into buying it again. Now this is my personal opinion and I am aware people have been waiting for a PC release. Even though it will get improved with patches and Nvidia driver updates, you still need a major beast of an expensive PC to surpass the Xbox One X version! 

Now I come to my last point, which is in 1 year the Xbox Scarlett and PS5 will be released and if you already own a copy of the game, you can play it on those consoles! And I am sure you will be able to play the game on the same level of the PC and without having to spend so much money on it! For one RTX 2080 TI price alone, you can buy one Xbox Scarlett and one PS5 for that amount! And it wouldn't cost you extra money to buy the game again! Also you can enjoy it from your living room on a big screen, instead of having to invest additional money into a separate version and it's additional hardware, not to mention a 4K HDR screen which is worth buying!

So for me, I would say leave the PC version and wait next year for the Next Gen consoles, which will play the game on a better detail and performance level then the PC version and also for a lot less money!

Edited by C.D.Mortimer

2 minutes ago, C.D.Mortimer said:

You know, I think it was Kean_1 that said somewhere in a thread (can't remember which sorry), you have to judge for yourself if it is worth it to buy it (again) on the PC!

Yeah....  That was essentially the gist of it.

No one can tell someone it's worth it. Each person needs to decide that for themselves.

Even if I was still building gaming PCs I doubt I would buy it again if I already had it for my PS4. On the other hand, if it were available at the same time, I'd likely go with PC instead in that scenario.  

Personally, I'd be playing more milsim and tactical shooter games, flight sims, etc. if I had a gaming rig. 

• Like 1

I agree with you and everybody has there opinion, but I think the wisest thing to do is wait for the next Gen consoles, since they will play like a true PC and you don't have to buy the game again! 😀 I still have my PS4 copy sealed (ultimate edition) and will wait with what I will do next year! Personally, what I read and hear everywhere I think it will be the Scarlett for me, since I really like playing older games (Batman Arkham Origins/Bully/GTA4) on a big 4k screen upscaled and with much better graphics!

6 minutes ago, C.D.Mortimer said:

I agree with you and everybody has there opinion, but I think the wisest thing to do is wait for the next Gen consoles, since they will play like a true PC and you don't have to buy the game again! 😀 I still have my PS4 copy sealed (ultimate edition) and will wait with what I will do next year! Personally, what I read and hear everywhere I think it will be the Scarlett for me, since I really like playing older games (Batman Arkham Origins/Bully/GTA4) on a big 4k screen upscaled and with much better graphics!

It's going to be PS5 for me.  It will have backward compatibility with at least the PS4 titles which is all I want personally.  I can continue to play GTAVO, RDO DayZ and other titles I have or will be getting until then.  

The thing is about PC for me is that it essentially has the market cornered on military, tactical shooters which is a genre I've always loved.  ......which can include survival games.  AAA devs on console always seem to dumb these kinds of titles down or go more for the run & gun, twitch spin.  

......can't wait for Insurgency Sandstorm to some out on console in Spring.  Perhaps more of these smaller devs will start porting their titles over if they see others having success.  Personally, I think the market is bigger than people think as a lot of folks I meet are either former PC gamers who like milsim-type games or still do on occasion.  

I just can't go back to building PC's because: 1) I hate the bi-yearly cycle of upgrading components to stay at the level I am accusom to.  2) I love the ability to plop on the couch, turn on the big screen, spark up the PS4 and start playing.  

I wish that I could, if I had the cash, I would definitely get the game again on pc, but for me to enjoy it at 4k/60 fps would be cost prohibitive.

I do enjoy watching the builds though.

Many pc's are running it very well at 1440 and 1080, but to run it at 4k 60 is very taxing to most pc's.

I think even though I have played the game 3 times on the xbox one x, in native 4k/30 fps. I am going to buy the Stadia set up and then buy rdr2 again, which seems like a waste but I think experiencing it at 60 fps over 30 fps will make it worth it and it will be fun to play it again.

Being it will cost $130.00 and 10$ a month that I play it, I can swing that for a little winter fun.

Im jealous of the folks with the 2080's and I9 9900 series chips, lol you folks have my attention, these rigs are eating the game up @ 4k, and it looks amazing!!

It's going to be PS5 for me.  It will have backward compatibility with at least the PS4 titles which is all I want personally.  I can continue to play GTAVO, RDO DayZ and other titles I have or will be getting until then. 

You know, with the upcoming next gen consoles a lot will change in terms of compatibility and remakes! The current situation is that Microsoft didn't charge extra for any improvements in games (such as Red Dead Redemption 1 on the Xbox One) and Sony did in selling a games again (like The last of Us remastered)! I don't expect Sony to support PS1/2/3 games because they rather want to sell you an improved version once again! But we will see next year how things will turn out! For sure I will wait and see before investing again! It is strange because I have the same games on my PS4 Pro as my Xbox One X. I bought them second hand and I find all the Xbox One X versions to either play smoother or look better, or in some cases do both! Also (as you might have noticed), the PS4 Pro/RDR2 mess have put me off the playstation platform! I was a Playstation fan, but that changed since I bought the Xbox. 

The thing is about PC for me is that it essentially has the market cornered on military, tactical shooters which is a genre I've always loved.  ......which can include survival games.  AAA devs on console always seem to dumb these kinds of titles down or go more for the run & gun, twitch spin.

I agree, those special kind of games you should really want and should play on a PC. I find console shooters more for the kind of people that want more of an arcade kind of experience, like you said run, gun and twitch and spin! I used to play them back in the days on my PC (1997 - 2015), but when you get older you want games that don't need a split second reaction, otherwise you are dead! From the moment I started with PC's, hardware and building them, I played those kinds of games (from 1997)! But now I only play console games like Batman, RDD, Bully, GTA4/5 etc. I am like you said also a "former pc gamer".

I just can't go back to building PC's because: 1) I hate the bi-yearly cycle of upgrading components to stay at the level I am accusom to.  2) I love the ability to plop on the couch, turn on the big screen, spark up the PS4 and start playing.

I have exactly the same thing, I hate the update/upgrading of components, to get certain (gadget like) things like ray tracing etc! And I also like to plop on a chair and then start playing either my PS4 Pro or Xbox One X! I really would like a new TV though, to get even better quality on those consoles, such as the new expensive LG C9. That TV (HDMI 2.1) will be very desirable with the new upcoming consoles! Although next year the C10 will probably make it's introduction! 

Speaking of the new consoles, I read so much talk about it. Downtalking by fanboys of the other brands and over-hyping talk that one console will be the fastest, so it is hard to believe anything at this point! Personally, I did read somewhere that the Scarlett will have a newer (newest) gen socket/cpu that will support hardware ray tracing, in which the PS5 would supposedly would not have, only software ray tracing! The PS5 would have the current gen AMD Soc and the Scarlett the upcoming gen Soc Amd cpu. How far this is true, I have no clue and it is all speculation, but I find it interesting. And it is the only thing I can find up to now what the real changes will be! Things can change, like they did with the Xbox One and PS4. In the past a console would be made and that would be it, but now they improve on there consoles to better the competition! So what is faster one point in time, could change later down the road!

Also, I read something about the SSD on the scarlett will be a special next gen, in terms of that it will be even faster then the current SSD and in this case the SSD in the PS5. Also, they talked about a virtual drive/swap space the scarlett will use, that will be used to improve performance and loading, due to the new special SSD would be used for swapfile! Which is interesting and I thought, why did they never used this before, like they could have used SSD's also much more early! I have an SSHD in my PS3 and I noticed the difference a lot back then! In the past I always used a fast separate HD for my swapfile on the pc (more then 10 years ago)! Marketing is strange in that sense because the SSD is nothing new at all and so is virtual swap drive!  

It is hard to check these facts, especially if someone says "the PS5 will be the most powerful console", because it would probably be a strategie from a designer to calm things down for the other brand!

I don't really get into all that speculation when it comes to next gen consoles before the details are actually confirmed.  

The fact of the matter for me is that I'll be playing PS4 titles up to and after the PS5's release and the since the PS5 will be backward compatible with PS4 games (one of the few specs that seems to be closest to being confirmed), that's a big reason for me (personally) to stick with Sony.  

Quite frankly, I don't really care about some of those other specifications that might make the Scarlett a little better platformer visually, etc.  ....or vice versa.  I also don't play PS3 titles anymore and never owned the PS2 or PS1.  .....but the PS4 compatibility is a big selling point for me.

As for remakes, I dunno how that will be affected this time around.  I don't see them doing it with titles like Cyberpunk 2077, Death Stranding, etc. or perhaps even les recent titles like RDR2.  .....at least for a long while.

The PS4 wasn't backward compatible due to the differences in the the PS3 architecture apparently.  That isn't the case with the PS5 in regard to the outgoing PS4. How this will affect remakes of PS4 titles on PS5, I don't know but if the PS5 versions are different enough, I might just pull the trigger.  

....then there are PS4 title sales on PS5 to consider.  I'll wager the backward compatibility may serve to further boost PS5 sales earlier in its life as PS4 owners that may have not considered upgrading because they couldn't play their current titles may end up buying the PS5 earlier than they would.   .....or over the Scarlett since their old titles are still playable.  

Alright, that's good enough reason for you, which is for many people that want PS4 compatibility as a selling point!

Speaking of specs, RDR2 for the PC doesn't even support ray tracing! I am expecting they will create this especially for the upcoming consoles, as a sort of selling point! But again that is speculation again. But i am almost sure they won't fix the PS4 Pro version anymore, since they have other better priorities! 

People also speculated that the PS4 Pro version would be the version to go to since they used it to show the trailer! Al those PS4 fanboys where laughing at the Xbox One X fanboys, that said they would get 4K textures! Now it has shut them up and the truth has proven them wrong!

2 minutes ago, C.D.Mortimer said:

Alright, that's good enough reason for you, which is for many people that want PS4 compatibility as a selling point!

Well, I'm not looking to convince anyone to buy a PS5 or Scarlett.  Get what you want is what I tell people.  My network of friends are buying PS5s so that's another reason for me. I have zero interest in finding close friends like that again on a new platform.  There are other reasons too why I want to stick with Sony and I'm sure a lot of good reasons folks stick with one or the other themselves.  

10 minutes ago, C.D.Mortimer said:

People also speculated that the PS4 Pro version would be the version to go to since they used it to show the trailer! Al those PS4 fanboys where laughing at the Xbox One X fanboys, that said they would get 4K textures! Now it has shut them up and the truth has proven them wrong!

Seems you are bitter about your experiences with Sony and the PS4 / Pro.  ....which is fine.  You seem really convinced about the Scarlett so I would say go for it. 

I'll be quite honest that I have absolutely no interest in "fanboy" arguments, console wars, PC vs. console elitism, etc.  It's all seems rather silly and childish to me as do the "I told you so" responses some people relish in, etc.  

I don't care if someone thinks I am making a bad decision with a purchase of one or the other and to be quite frank, I simply can't understand why they would unless they are somehow insecure in their own decision(s).  My advice would be to ignore the fanboys and just purchase the system you want and know you will enjoy.  You seem to be pretty well versed on what we might expect on these platforms so I would just buy what you want and to hell with what others say about your choice.  

I am not trying to convince anybody here either and even if we would have,  many have there mind set based on simple a brand! Me personally, I wouldn't base my judgement on what friends have because I never buy any plus/gold network stuff, simply because I don't think it is worth the money, nor do I need it!

Concerning being bitter, nobody wants to get cheated with false statements because everybody wants to win the console war! So because Sony advertised there machine being 4K (to try to win the console war), it backfired with RDR2! And the realist I am, I found it extremely funny that some fanboys where shut up by facts! There is nothing more satisfying, then to prove your point by the passing of time. 🙂

Thank you for the compliment of being versed, but I don't know yet what I will do for sure! I didn't make up my mind yet because nothing is for sure yet. I was only trying to give some information into the consoles and what I heard until now!  But I am sure the consoles will be much more equal then those in the past and you can't really go wrong either way! It will be great times coming for all of us!😀

8 hours ago, C.D.Mortimer said:

Concerning being bitter, nobody wants to get cheated with false statements because everybody wants to win the console war! So because Sony advertised there machine being 4K (to try to win the console war), it backfired with RDR2! And the realist I am, I found it extremely funny that some fanboys where shut up by facts! There is nothing more satisfying, then to prove your point by the passing of time. 🙂

PS from my understanding didn't handle the graphics as well as the Xbone. I am not sure why or what minor things were changed but you can see it in a side-by-side comparison. It isn't worth arguing over though. I know you aren't doing this but I know plenty who do. I say get what ever console you want and be happy with it. Too many people trying to flame each other over gaming console preferences.