Camps Broken?

Tonaga

Twice this weekend, I was just standing in my camp when the white flag went down by itself and my status was changed to Offensive. Reason stated was that I had acted offensively. But I was just standing in my camp. Nothing else. No gun drawn. No other player anywhere nearby. Nothing. Status and flag changed on their own for no reason.

Between disconnects that cause all progress made during a session to be lost, to other problems, to this new camp bug, the game is very discouraging these days.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Aval0n said:

Twice this weekend, I was just standing in my camp when the white flag went down by itself and my status was changed to Offensive. Reason stated was that I had acted offensively. But I was just standing in my camp. Nothing else. No gun drawn. No other player anywhere nearby. Nothing. Status and flag changed on their own for no reason.

Between disconnects that cause all progress made during a session to be lost, to other problems, to this new camp bug, the game is very discouraging these days.

Interesting that you say that - I was walking outside Valentine over the weekend, using the metal detector (so no gun even drawn) and suddenly got the ominous chime and the red prompt came up 'murder!', as if I had just killed someone.  I hadn't.  The law weren't interested so I moved on, but interested to hear that similar has happened to others.

In terms of Camp yes, it can be tough to set up (although not as bad as a couple of weeks ago), I find that moving to a less popular area (not as onerous as it sounds, with Fast Travel in a Camp) gets me set up much more quickly.  Heartlands is generally a waste of time for me, never get a site.  And if I do, Cripps tears it down if I dare leave.

I haven't had much time to play online yet but I can tell you, I have not been able to set camp and have it stick. I know this was an issue on the console when online first started out in the beta testing phase. Maybe they overlooked something but it was very buggy for awhile on there too. Just give them some time to work it out. 

On 11/11/2019 at 4:11 PM, KoiiBoii said:

I haven't had much time to play online yet but I can tell you, I have not been able to set camp and have it stick. I know this was an issue on the console when online first started out in the beta testing phase. Maybe they overlooked something but it was very buggy for awhile on there too. Just give them some time to work it out. 

Same here. I had a camp going fine and it just disappeared as if I never made it the next day I was playing. I don't remember this issue on console being this bad. 

5 hours ago, mizTik said:

Same here. I had a camp going fine and it just disappeared as if I never made it the next day I was playing. I don't remember this issue on console being this bad. 

It wasn't. It became an issue when the roles were introduced likely because so many are trying to use the feature now.

I'll wager the problem isn't due to some bug but simply a flaw in the logic / design that the new content has made much more apparent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 7:29 AM, Aval0n said:

Twice this weekend, I was just standing in my camp when the white flag went down by itself and my status was changed to Offensive. Reason stated was that I had acted offensively. But I was just standing in my camp.

Happened to me too! At least 5 times when I was playing, twice in one session. I don't know what I did to trigger it as like you, I was just sitting still. I was in a call with some people on discord and next thing I know, I was being attacked! 

Beat that..

When i started local delivery my status changed to offensive without reason. I Managed to arrive at Valentine, griefer was there. shot me when i was helping the npcs for the delivery. Killed me, grabbed the wagon and turned the delivery. Speachless. I was about to break my ps4. Thank ypu rockstar!

I pretty much lost an entire weekend of play over the camp issues.  All I wanted to do was spend Saturday afternoon filling up Cripps materials and supplies and let him go to work.  No dice.  Camp kept crashing, kicking me out of the game.  I spent literally hours trying to get the camp to respawn.  But all I would ever get, besides absolutely no response, was a note saying Cripps had packed my camp back up, over and over again. 

At one point, the camp finally said it spawned and showed on the map only a little ways from me.  I rode over to it quickly and just as it came into view, it moved.  Well, half of it moved.  The campfire, the Flag, the cook pot, and one random table with chair remained in place.  Everything else moved to a totally different region half the map away.  The only thing I could do to fix it is log out and try again.  Two hours later, still no camp. 

So, I played a little poker, ran a few bounty missions, collected collectibles and stayed busy while I continued over and over again to get a camp set up but to no avail.   Sunday was just more of the same.  I was so frustrated with the game by Sunday noon that I just logged out and didn't play for the rest of the weekend.  Doubt I will log in tonight.  

I just don't have time to waste on stupid sh*t.   

This just doesn't seem like that big of a problem for rockstar to fix. For months now, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and  all RDR2 forums and any other  online gaming sites have been erupting over this. It is getting to be a little ridiculous at this point. 

32 players per session. 

32 possible pre determined camp locations.

Why not just list the camp locations and allow us select one that's not in use? Like the player list, have a camp list.  

Whatever department there is inside R* that's responsible for fixing it, they need help.  

40 minutes ago, Freakshow9191 said:

32 players per session. 

32 possible pre determined camp locations.

Why not just list the camp locations and allow us select one that's not in use? Like the player list, have a camp list.  

That's not it.  Not sure what it is, but that's not it.   As I fought in vain all day Saturday to get a camp up and running, I was traveling back and forth, up and down, the long valley river in Big Valley.   There were at least 5-6 different camp locations open the entire time.  None of the normal camp spots were in use on my server.   I know, because I have camped them all.   In the Big Valley alone there must be a dozen or more camp locations.  From the north river valley all the way down to south of Strawberry.  All I was looking for was one.  And there were plenty of spots open.  In short, the spots were not "occupied" by anyone for most of the day.  The game simply would not allow me to pitch a camp, period.  And on the off chance that one did get through the code to get set up, it would crash on me in short order. 

IT'S BROKE.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madrigalian said:

That's not it.  Not sure what it is, but that's not it.   As I fought in vain all day Saturday to get a camp up and running, I was traveling back and forth, up and down, the long valley river in Big Valley.   There were at least 5-6 different camp locations open the entire time.  None of the normal camp spots were in use on my server.   I know, because I have camped them all.   In the Big Valley alone there must be a dozen or more camp locations.  From the north river valley all the way down to south of Strawberry.  All I was looking for was one.  And there were plenty of spots open.  In short, the spots were not "occupied" by anyone for most of the day.  The game simply would not allow me to pitch a camp, period.  And on the off chance that one did get through the code to get set up, it would crash on me in short order. 

IT'S BROKE.  

That's my experience also and that of most I know who play this game. There are some players who say they aren't experiencing this issue (or animal spawn issues) so maybe it's a matter of trying to figure out what they're doing or not doing to be unaffected.

One thing to remember.

They only put a few camps in a given area. Just because you see an area that's empty, where you've seen a camp before, doesn't mean there should be a camp there.  

I've camped at a dozen locations in the great plains outside blackwater. But you don't really want dozens of camps in that same area at the same time.  All you would be doing is riding through camps, slowing down, ruining the scenery,  constantly. 

They want them spread out.  

1 hour ago, The_Liquor said:

Honestly, I start where I want my camp then just work my way through the list. Sooner or later I get it set up... just usually not in my preferred spot.

I never cared for the way they mapped it out on console and I know they are not making any changes for it on PC. The way it always moves around was a pain in the butt for me but I eventually just expected it and got used to it. I never liked it though.

It's all dependent on server population. If there's more than 18 players in a server, the animals can basically be hunted into extinction and camps will suffer as well. Another sign of an overpopulated server is wagons with invisible drivers.

There's a few things you can do to combat these issues. Start a bounty, do a trader resupply mission or start a Stranger mission and hopefully you'll get in a new server (evident by a brief black screen). You'll know it's a new server if you check the Player list and it only shows you/your posse under "Nearby". Immediately pitch your camp and it will set up with no issues. It won't be long before more players get loaded in and you'll have to do it again. Sometimes Cripps packs up your camp as soon as the server hits full player capacity.

Rockstar needs to temporarily cut the player limit in half until they can iron out these issues.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

I’ve most definitely noticed the driverless wagon issue at the same time I’ve noticed lack of animals and difficulties setting up a camp. I’ve jumped sergers to fix the issue... but I never figured they might be all interconnected.

yep, when you saw all those turkeys today, the player list dropped down, but it quickly filled up again and we couldn't find them anymore haha

I never did get my 3 turkeys today lol

• Haha 1