Should more variations of ammo be added?

I was thinking about this the other day. We have some decent selection now but I would like to see more options dealing with scattered damage and poison.

Should they add more ammo variations to the game for online play? What do you think they should add?

Honestly, I think the ammo selection we have now is a touch on the ridiculous side for the timeline... I’m pretty sure most folks in the day fed their guns whatever hunk of lead they could melt down over a measure of black powder or cordite... or the standard factory junk from the dry goods store or catalog... But it is supposed to be a little over the top I suppose... I could ask for more shotgun rounds, birdshot perhaps?

Edited by The_Liquor
  • Like 2

They have a lot of things that honestly would not have been easily obtained back then. I would like more options that were real to the times. Like mentioned, shotgun rounds, things pertaining to hunting, and the like.

1 hour ago, gsamson24 said:

https://reddead.fandom.com/wiki/Ammo_in_Redemption_2

Looking over the list to see everything available, I would say that there is more than enough when it comes to options. I would prefer some new gear or maybe a new gun or two just to spice things up a bit.

I think they are going to add some new weapons in this update. In the last major update they added several new melee weapons and the one before that added the LeMat.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, EjectedCasings said:

I think they are going to add some new weapons in this update. In the last major update they added several new melee weapons and the one before that added the LeMat.

Was going to say the same thing. I think in most cases, the big updates will likely include new weapons. Unless we get specialty weapons added though, I can't see them adding in new ammo.

20 hours ago, mizTik said:

I would be interested in them added a few bb style guns. They can be used for smaller animals like rodents and birds. I have seen some models from the late 1800's before. They look pretty slick. 

Really? A whole day and no love for probably the most iconic Christmas film ever made in North America? Or am I just too old? Lol

184026A8-4B43-43F9-BBB9-614EBE7AA31F.jpeg

Edited by The_Liquor
  • Haha 3

I think we have plenty of ammo. This game isn't like GTA V where you can always add new stuff and it still work. That game was set in a modern time. RDR2 is clearly not so even with the ammo options we have now, it seems a bit much for the era. 

On 12/7/2019 at 7:47 PM, Jammin Jim said:

I think we have plenty of ammo. This game isn't like GTA V where you can always add new stuff and it still work. That game was set in a modern time. RDR2 is clearly not so even with the ammo options we have now, it seems a bit much for the era. 

It was the old west though. I think there was LOADS of different kinds of ammo and guns. Granted, I did not research this but based on what I have seen in western shows and films, I would say they can have more options without it being out of control. 

2 hours ago, shawn said:

It was the old west though. I think there was LOADS of different kinds of ammo and guns. Granted, I did not research this but based on what I have seen in western shows and films, I would say they can have more options without it being out of control. 

Your options as far as bullets would likely have been various Calibers of round nose or flat nose lead slugs. Maybe some early copper jacketed bullets in the bigger rifles... there may have been some different loadings (express, high velocity) with the early days of smokeless powder. 

Honestly, walk into a gun store and check out the various modern ammunition types a available (you’ll likely see they are just slightly different variations of the same handful of basic bullet designs with the factory advertising trying to convince you that their hollow points are better than the other guys). Now, take 120 years of research, development and improvements out of the picture and you’ll have a good idea what you would have found in the gunsmith store of the RDR days.

there really wasn’t much at the time beyond various calibers of slightly different shaped lead hunks... and different sized shot for your shotguns...

• Like 2

Too many ammo types maybe... I purposefully did not keep regular rifle ammo.    HV or Express can get mixed up with quickfiring, etc., so having a third type was bothersome for me...

Sadly there is no way to throw  ammunition away.. and it is surprising how much regular ammo rockstar gifts us and that we find when looting bodies, etc.

So if you ride by a camp where the owner is wildly shooting round after round after round.. into yonder fire hydrant...   then youll know I found a way to get rid of that ammo.

Actually... The split point recipe was worthwhle simply because from then I had need for regular rifle rounds.

I have every arrow including tracking so that row is looking very full... but they are al unique and fun at least.

More effects like the fiery shotgun... would be good.

7 hours ago, The_Liquor said:

Your options as far as bullets would likely have been various Calibers of round nose or flat nose lead slugs. Maybe some early copper jacketed bullets in the bigger rifles... there may have been some different loadings (express, high velocity) with the early days of smokeless powder. 

Honestly, walk into a gun store and check out the various modern ammunition types a available (you’ll likely see they are just slightly different variations of the same handful of basic bullet designs with the factory advertising trying to convince you that their hollow points are better than the other guys). Now, take 120 years of research, development and improvements out of the picture and you’ll have a good idea what you would have found in the gunsmith store of the RDR days.

there really wasn’t much at the time beyond various calibers of slightly different shaped lead hunks... and different sized shot for your shotguns...

This.

I think a detailed ballistic study of the relative merits of 44/40 and 45LC are probably beyond the scope of the game!

Just out of interest, last night I blazed off 50 rounds of 44/40 (black powder) through my Uberti replica 1860 Henry rifle (Litchfield repeater in game) and then had a few rounds of 38 special (smokeless) through a friend's 1866 Yellowboy (also Uberti - Lancaster in game).  the shooting experience between the 2 was utterly different, but the result at the other end of the range was much the same - stuff with holes in.

Who says we can't have fun with guns in the UK?

I agree with @The_Liquor on the variations.  

Aside from possibly different choices of brand in a particular caliber, it's not likely you would find a variation of bullet types to choose from other than what he mentioned.  .......and even so, it's doubtful those small shops in a lot of these towns would have a wide selection to choose from anyway.  Just common calibers and likely one type / brand. 

Personally, I think we have too many types of ammo as it is in relation to Express, Explosive, Split Point, etc.  I would rather they focused on creating different types of ammo based on the weapons and specific calibers rather than just generic pistol, rifle, repeating, etc. cartridges.  While they were at it, get rid of the explosive ammo, increase the overall lethality and then tweak the balance of the weapons, tone down auto aim, make reloading more realistic / slower for each type of weapon, etc. 

I also think ammo is simply too abundant (once a player unlocks all types) and players shouldn't be able to carry all of their weapons on their horses.  From the beginning I always thought players should have to go to there camp or some other location to swap out what weapons they carry on their horse.  There should be a limit IMO.  .....and to take it a bit farther, a stamina hit on their horse by carrying more.  .....even further, a weight system where weapon weight factors into the equation.  This could also be a variable in the balancing of guns in the game and add to the pros and cons of each.  

The one thing I never really liked in R* games was the gunplay and lethality (or lack thereof).  The worlds are rich in detail and even realism in some respects but the gunplay is arcadey at best.  .....which is why I don't mind the auto aim the way it is now and accept it for what it is.  If the gunplay / weapons /ammo and lethality were changed, that would be a different story entirely.

......but yeah, I'd rather they work on those other aspects than add some new kind of bullet type that only breaks the immersion even further for me.  

• Like 1

To further expand on my previous statement, when it comes to black powder rounds like the .45 colt or .44 Russian (the types of ammo found in the games) there literally is only one loading... as much black powder as the case will hold with a bullet seated on top of it... If you wanted to load it down you needed some kind of filler to take up space, but that basically just gives you a slower weaker round than a full charge of powder. Leaving empty space in a black powder load... well... you won’t have that gun for very long at the least...

• Like 1
On 12/10/2019 at 2:57 PM, The_Liquor said:

Parliament, mostly... lol

Yep, that's them.

There are weird anomalies in the rules, though.  Lots of things are very severely limited or banned outright, but then, I can own .44 cal lever action rifles, WW2 Lee Enfield bolt actions, semi-auto high power .22 rifles, multiple cap and ball revolvers, thousands of rounds of ammunition and pretty much as many 12G shotguns as I can cram into a cupboard.   

With the (major, sad) exception of cartridge revolvers, we can own and shoot anything a self-respecting cowboy would want.

On 12/2/2019 at 5:45 PM, EjectedCasings said:

Indeed a few things were added in this recent one, good call. They had me at flammable moonshine jug.

dxvsd.gif.86670b395e8fedc4094ca99ff6229db5.gif

On 12/4/2019 at 6:11 PM, The_Liquor said:

Really? A whole day and no love for probably the most iconic Christmas film ever made in North America? Or am I just too old? Lol

184026A8-4B43-43F9-BBB9-614EBE7AA31F.jpeg

I watched this movie so much growing up, I can say everything word of it without fail. A few years ago, my brother bet me I couldn't do it for 5 minutes let alone the whole movie. Put the thing on mute, put subtitles on and I had my back at the TV. Quickest $100 I ever earned.

• Haha 1