Quick and easy XP tips?

FLIP

I have been leveling slow for the last few weeks since I haven't had as much time to play. I am looking for ways to gain good amounts of XP that are not time-consuming and relatively easy. I should have more time next month to play when work dies down a bit. Any tips or suggestions for me?

Best way I found was to do story mode, learn all the spawns, run ahead and kill everything before the team. You can earn 1k + xp on some, most I had was around 1.5k on the " Kerosene, Tar and Greed" mission.

Its a shitty thing to do but its better then grinding slow af.

2 hours ago, fsociety said:

Best way I found was to do story mode, learn all the spawns, run ahead and kill everything before the team. You can earn 1k + xp on some, most I had was around 1.5k on the " Kerosene, Tar and Greed" mission.

Its a shitty thing to do but its better then grinding slow af.

Once on that "Kerosene" mission, while most of us were riding along getting the story outline/narrative from the NPC, one player took off on his own and I didn't know why.

He went straight for the train and killed all the Pinkertons. 

I guess while we went to grab the train to take to the location, he had already gone ahead and killed most of the NPCs at the station. When we pulled into the station on the train (we met very little resistance at all), we got the message to loot the industrialists, so he had gotten that far. By the time we actually got off the train, he had already looted them. I'm not even sure if he got on the train with us when we pulled off.

I've learned my lesson now. I hang back to see if anyone goes straight to the train and follow them if they do.

It's fine for those of us who have played the game since the beginning and have played out the whole story but it kind of ruins it for new players because they miss out on part of the action and story--and the XP, I'm guessing.

I wish this mission was more like "Kill Them All..." where a player can ride ahead but all players are pulled together when the action starts. 

I only replay the "Kerosene...," "Kill Them All..." and "Kill Them Each and Every One" missions now anyway because I don't really care for the others.

A note to some players--you can press a button on your controller to skip most cut scenes. Once you've enjoyed the cutscene for a story 10 or 15 times, please be merciful and press it. Don't get me wrong, even I found Mrs. LeClerk's retribution funny the first 20 or so times but now even that's a little boring.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FLIP said:

I have been leveling slow for the last few weeks since I haven't had as much time to play. I am looking for ways to gain good amounts of XP that are not time-consuming and relatively easy. I should have more time next month to play when work dies down a bit. Any tips or suggestions for me?

If you don't mind having max negative honor, there's  an alley with a ladder leading to the rooftops near the post office in Saint Denis. Kill a civilian to get yourself wanted, climb the ladder and go to the rooftop on the opposite side so you have a view of the ladder but make sure you are far enough back so that lawmen can't  target you from the ground. They are forced to climb the ladder to get to you. From there it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Pick them off as they climb the ladder. Make sure to go for headshots for the extra xp as well as using deadeye and special ammo(express, high velocity etc.) if you have it. Unless you screw up and start letting them reach the roof, you can pretty much keep it going till you run out of ammo. The xp really starts to add up.

1 hour ago, Samplemygravy said:

So tks for telling people to do that jerk. At least you admit it’s a shitty thing to do . But you knowingly do a shitty thing. I could easily do this every time. I don’t. Why? Because I try not to do shitty things. When I see someone doing this I just dynamite myself to death which I highly recommend everyone do if they see someone doing this so the rest of the team can move on to something else so they don’t get screwed by some EXTREME douche bags.

I didnt tell anyone to do sh*t, I just gave my opinion, its up to others if they want to do this or not.

2 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

If you don't mind having max negative honor, there's  an alley with a ladder leading to the rooftops near the post office in Saint Denis. Kill a civilian to get yourself wanted, climb the ladder and go to the rooftop on the opposite side so you have a view of the ladder but make sure you are far enough back so that lawmen can't  target you from the ground. They are forced to climb the ladder to get to you. From there it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Pick them off as they climb the ladder. Make sure to go for headshots for the extra xp as well as using deadeye and special ammo(express, high velocity etc.) if you have it. Unless you screw up and start letting them reach the roof, you can pretty much keep it going till you run out of ammo. The xp really starts to add up.

Just doing story mode is more efficent, all this stupid glitch videos  are worthless vs playing the game as intended.

4 minutes ago, fsociety said:

Just doing story mode is more efficent, all this stupid glitch videos  are worthless vs playing the game as intended.

What about that is a glitch? Seems to be working as intended to me. Why else would they have a ladder leading to the rooftop?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Samplemygravy said:

So tks for telling people to do that jerk. At least you admit it’s a shitty thing to do . But you knowingly do a shitty thing. I could easily do this every time. I don’t. Why? Because I try not to do shitty things. When I see someone doing this I just dynamite myself to death which I highly recommend everyone do if they see someone doing this so the rest of the team can move on to something else so they don’t get screwed by some EXTREME douche bags.

All it is, is griefing.  Players griefing in PvE can be just as bad as a PvP player doing it to a PvE player.  Let Rockstar know and hope they actually fix it.

• Like 2

@FLIP there's a lot of ways to grind out XP.  Replaying certain missions is one of them.  I've personally found (in my limited time playing online) that actively looking to complete the online tasks/challenges will net you plenty of incremental XP bumps.

Depending on the respawn rate of NPC's and how comfortable you are with a high level of dishonor, there's always the opportunity to loaf around butcher's creek or Van Horn and rack up Head Shot XP.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jnaron_ngc@yahoo.com said:

Isn't this topic on wrong board? Should be in the Story Board.

The OPs post applies to RDO so unless he picked the wrong sub forum, I am assuming he is talking about online.

I've seen a lot of players doing the Saint Denis shootout with NPCs.  There is no doubt about it that it will rack up XP quite quickly and if you use special ammo (e.g. Express), that will also net you additional points (+5 each IIRC).  

Personally, I prefer to choose locations that are less frequented by other players but I find the shootout and defense aspect a fun way to break up the monotony at times.  As you kill NPCs, the law will follow.  This is all part of the game.

Having said that, this will all likely change when they introduce the new bounty system and especially the proximity and color-changing blip indicators.   .....but that will depend if or how it applies to NPCs.

22 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

The OPs post applies to RDO so unless he picked the wrong sub forum, I am assuming he is talking about online.

I've seen a lot of players doing the Saint Denis shootout with NPCs.  There is no doubt about it that it will rack up XP quite quickly and if you use special ammo (e.g. Express), that will also net you additional points (+5 each IIRC).  

Personally, I prefer to choose locations that are less frequented by other players but I find the shootout and defense aspect a fun way to break up the monotony at times.  As you kill NPCs, the law will follow.  This is all part of the game.

Having said that, this will all likely change when they introduce the new bounty system and especially the proximity and color-changing blip indicators.   .....but that will depend if or how it applies to NPCs.

I'll only do that tactic when the city is practically empty.

Easiest way to level is just by playing the game normal. I'm almost in the 80s , just by doing stranger missions and constantly resetting awards/belt buckles. No need to troll in missions or climb a roof. I'm not powergrinding by any means though. I am taking my time. 

Edited by Savage_Reaper
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

I'll only do that tactic when the city is practically empty.

Me too.  I don't try to bother anyone although we did have a player run into town last night and directly attempt to kill us (made a bee line for our position), so we returned the favor  ......several times until he went about his business.

That is the main reason I don't choose to do this in large towns or those frequented by players.  I enjoy it because it's one more thing to help break the monotony of the same old missions, etc.  .....and I'm not griefing other players in the process.

One tip to increase $$ and XP is to let the counter run down on side missions and only finish when the clock is ticking ie in the final 10 seconds. This will generally double XP and give 2-3 times the cash, up to about $20, good few nuggets too.

There is a downside though as you often have to sit at your destination for about 10 minutes, idling, not earning, staying alert enough to watch the map for pink blips, (countering current if you're in a boat) ready for a quick trot over the line. Miss it (I have dozed off!) and you've wasted a lot of time for nothing. I'm not even sure the balance is worth it, for the empty time, and it's hardly what I switch RDR2 on for, to sit on a wagon for 10 minutes with the reins in my hand and the guy on the duckboard next to me saying "Why are you doing this to us..?"

I wondered too...

• Haha 2

You could just run down the Story missions to around 25 minutes after activating the mission but before going to the last checkpoint, doing this will generally net you an average of 40-60 dollars, around .35 to .50 gold and 800-1000 xp. While you're waiting for 25 minutes you should hunt small to medium game (not predators) and sell them to the closest butcher to get the most money's worth (usually with a few good hunting trips in that 25 minute time frame you can earn an extra 50-80 dollars in cash).

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be an exploit as you're not glitching the game in anyway and you're not earning thousands of xp and money in a short amount of time, you are still working hard to earn the money and spending time to do it, everything is done in the mission parameters (meaning no out of map glitch or duplication).

To me this method of the story missions reminds me of the Pacific Standard Heist in GTA Online which you can do over and over. It wasn't patched for a year due to it not being an exploit technically but was probably patched due to everyone catching on and maybe affecting shark card sales.

Edited by ItsTreesAndDen

21 hours ago, ItsTreesAndDen said:

run down the Story missions to around 25 minutes after activating the mission but before going to the last checkpoint, doing this will generally net you an average of 40-60 dollars, around .35 to .50 gold and 800-1000 xp. While you're waiting for 25 minutes you should hunt small to medium game (not predators) and sell them to the closest butcher to get the most money's worth (usually with a few good hunting trips in that 25 minute time frame you can earn an extra 50-80 dollars in cash)

@BurbonChaser this seems to suit our posse perfectly, yeah? Thrills kills XP and cash... Obtw, I friend requested you on Facebook 😎👍

Edited by Major Dammidge
Addional comment

6 hours ago, Major Dammidge said:

@BurbonChaser this seems to suit our posse perfectly, yeah? Thrills kills XP and cash... Obtw, I friend requested you on Facebook 😎👍

It’s a fun way to mix hunting and story missions in one and earn heaps of xp, cash & gold as well. 

Also, dunno who you sent the friend request to, but I ain’t got no friend requests

@ItsTreesAndDen I friend-requested @BurbonChaser because he and I have been riding, hunting, and building tactics/strategies for different missions etc. which may be the beginnings of a posse with great potenntial to be formidable when Beta transitions.  Yesterday, he and I rocked a story mission for 650XP. If you are an Xbox I will friend you before the day is done 😉

If you have a posse with friends that are willing to help you out a strategy could be :

- join posse who are doing stranger missions during there online play

- combine rooftop shooting in Saint Denis and bird and alligator hunting (with occassional hideout cleaning)

This way you get paid the gold / xp / USD from the Posse activities and you are levelling or grinding XP and USD doing your own thing.

This is naturally very depending on whether you have friends that want to help you level up quickly and how efficient you do the hunting and shooting (buckle resets mainly).

Joined up with some randoms, that had a player who had to go to work.  So they hogtied him and threw in on the horse.  When I asked why, they claimed that as long as his player keeps moving his xbox wouldn't shutdown and they could pass him around from horse to horse and he would still gain xp and money for them from the missions.  I couldn't fathom how that worked, but they may have it setup so they can do this succesfully.

What! While I can see how some may argue that is a cheap way to get xp, that is some outside of the box thinking. I wish my friends would do that!

I’m in the field most of this week but I’ll add you guys when I get back if that’s cool with you all.

Edited by The Coca-Cola Kid

@YodaMan 3D I'm on the Mississippi Coast but an habitual night owl. I find myself in servers with lots of Europeans and Australians. If I see you on I will surely throw you an invite. @The Coca-Cola Kid I'll hit you up within a mentation if you like. Despite advanced age failing eyesight slower reflexes Etc I think I have gained about 12 levels in the last week and it's all due to riding posse with BurbonChaser. He has also schooled me in some of the finer points eliminating a lot of my oversights and weaknesses! Value here is seeing  players with experience in action. Example: instead of 150 or 200 XP points on a story mission, I've been hitting 500 to 650 per mission. We also plan routes to avoid griefers and watch each other's back against same

😁

Edited by Major Dammidge
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Major Dammidge said:

I'll hit you up within a mentation if you like. Despite advanced age failing eyesight slower reflexes Etc I think I have gained about 12 levels in the last week and it's all due to riding posse with BurbonChaser. He has also schooled me in some of the finer points eliminating a lot of my oversights and weaknesses! Value here is seeing  players with experience in action. Example: instead of 150 or 200 XP points on a story mission, I've been hitting 500 to 650 per mission. We also plan routes to avoid griefers and watch each other's back against same

Sounds good! I’ll be online later today and off and on this week due to work schedule. But we will link up!

On 1/18/2019 at 6:17 AM, Netnow66 said:

Once on that "Kerosene" mission, while most of us were riding along getting the story outline/narrative from the NPC, one player took off on his own and I didn't know why.

He went straight for the train and killed all the Pinkertons. 

I guess while we went to grab the train to take to the location, he had already gone ahead and killed most of the NPCs at the station. When we pulled into the station on the train (we met very little resistance at all), we got the message to loot the industrialists, so he had gotten that far. By the time we actually got off the train, he had already looted them. I'm not even sure if he got on the train with us when we pulled off.

I've learned my lesson now. I hang back to see if anyone goes straight to the train and follow them if they do.

It's fine for those of us who have played the game since the beginning and have played out the whole story but it kind of ruins it for new players because they miss out on part of the action and story--and the XP, I'm guessing.

I wish this mission was more like "Kill Them All..." where a player can ride ahead but all players are pulled together when the action starts. 

I only replay the "Kerosene...," "Kill Them All..." and "Kill Them Each and Every One" missions now anyway because I don't really care for the others.

A note to some players--you can press a button on your controller to skip most cut scenes. Once you've enjoyed the cutscene for a story 10 or 15 times, please be merciful and press it. Don't get me wrong, even I found Mrs. LeClerk's retribution funny the first 20 or so times but now even that's a little boring.

I played some more online last night and am wondering why there isn't an option for the missions in free-roam to be done solo.  I launched one and the only option was 2-4 players via matchmaking.  After getting halfway through 2 tries at completing the mission the server kicked me out.  I checked my connection and all was good.  Sigh.