The Great Griefer Thread

Reyes

I noticed a massive increase of them just over the last week of playing. Sometimes I will hop on a server and just be targeting at all times making it impossible to enjoy aspects like hunting. How do you all handle these players? 

Just now, Reyes said:

I noticed a massive increase of them just over the last week of playing. Sometimes I will hop on a server and just be targeting at all times making it impossible to enjoy aspects like hunting. How do you all handle these players? 

Go to their profile and hit report.

• Like 1

If there's more than one, I'll actually let one of them kill me four times, Parley with them, then go after the others. Ican handle myself in a straight up fight, but fighting off more than one can be really hard work. I'll also leave when I get bored. Little tip... Most griefers will come after you.. Let them. You can take cover and possibly get the drop on them. If they're waiting for you to attack, just walk away. Play by your rules, not theirs.. :)

Edited by HooverRAD
  • Like 1

Stage 1: Prevention.  Avoid known trouble spots, like Valentine and Blackwater.  When newly spawned always crouch, hide and map.  Toggle horse settings to posse only and turn off chat.  Check map for pinks and avoid, take detours rather than encounter.  Be in a posse, watch each other's backs, always look tough and ready for a fight.  Be extra vigilant when carrying pelts or nearing a butcher.  If you have to pause, be in a shop.

Stage 2: Engagement.  If lassoed, break free and shoot.  Have solid weapons, like sawn offs or varmint or Lancaster, upgraded, loaded, clean, and ready to roll.  Keep your eye on pinks at all times.  Trust no one.  Be good at head shots - adjust auto aim settings and practice if needed.

Stage 3: Grief the griefer.  Be prepared to kill them four or five times if necessary.  Be ready after just killing them, they'll probably be out for revenge.  Kill their horse.

Stage 4: Walk away.  It's just a game, you respawn, your horse can be healed, and you can just go to menu and go to another server far way from the troll that's been hassling you.  Often it's not even worth getting into a fight, just let them kill you and walk away.  Who cares?  If you want, report them or name and shame them here online.  Don't ever let bullies force you out or off the playground.  It's yours as much, if not more, than theirs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Unknown1598 said:

Go to their profile and hit report.

You can't report what is allowed in the game by design and unfortunately, the way R* set up their online experience, trolling is perfectly acceptable.  On the other hand I have reported players for vulgar, verbal threats and racist remarks.  .....and I would encourage others too as well.

1 hour ago, Reyes said:

I usually choose an area like Ambarino to spawn in.  I will immediately crouch when I arrive, ready my weapon, move (while crouched) to cover, look at my minimap for other players and then the big map if there is no immediate threat.   I will observe other players / posses to see what they are doing on the map and take note of those who appear to be trolls or active in PvP engagements.  I then call in my horse and make a plan of where I want to go and the things I plan to do.  

When solo, I simply plan my routes around other players.  ....especially any of those I noticed were engaged in combat with other players.  I also look for areas on the map that are mostly empty.  I always keep an eye on my minimap and as soon as I see a pink dot, I open the big map to see where they are and get an idea of what they are doing.  I adjust my route as needed.

When hunting, I will usually plan a route to a vacant town (with a butcher) and then hunt along the way.  However, I'm also flexible as some destinations can become active during the time it takes to get there.  In those cases, I simply select another that isn't.

To be honest, it is rare that I am attacked when playing alone and it will typically happen as I spawn in (depending on where I choose).  

• Like 3

A lot of good advice here but you CAN report them. I had a guy tonight make the game unplayable, just kept coming after me so I kept killing him with the pump. I get to my camp and he's all over it waiting for me to leave. I hit "report" to see what could be reported and "disruptive behavior" that makes it impossible to play your way is a reportable thing. I can't remember ever reporting somebody but I did report him and quit. He even sent a message "step out and you get it". That's the first problem I've had since Saturday.

It's just F U . There is a game mode for shooting eatch other ,no killing in free roam it's more fun i think. I don't see the fun in it ! So why is R* don't fix this ? There are verymutch complains about it. And do some1 nows what happens if the get a report ? I reported so many off those retard but never see what they get ? Game is a big disapiontmend for me, every day about 4ours playing it and every day more and more morons i see. 

• Like 1

First step, avoidance. If you hear gunshots in town people are probably not firing into the air celebrating. Move on to another location. 

When a person singles you out in the wilderness and you are not  retaliating then IMO that’s trollimg/griefing. Being this is beta I have little hope for a report function. On PS4 I go directly to their profile and block them. In other games I have played this prevents me from queuing to the same lobby, I am not sure if RDR2 works the same way, but so far I have been luck enough not to cross the path of a griefer more than initial contact.

Parlay when it’s the one guy in town sniping from the rooftop. It’s not  Worth your time or aggravation.

Your mic can be a good tool, especially when fishing. There are a lot of people doing the same as you, let them know or join in a posse. Not everyone riding in your Vicinity wants to head shot you.

6 hours ago, DLKnives said:

A lot of good advice here but you CAN report them. I had a guy tonight make the game unplayable, just kept coming after me so I kept killing him with the pump. I get to my camp and he's all over it waiting for me to leave. I hit "report" to see what could be reported and "disruptive behavior" that makes it impossible to play your way is a reportable thing. I can't remember ever reporting somebody but I did report him and quit. He even sent a message "step out and you get it". That's the first problem I've had since Saturday.

Sure, you can report anyone you want to.  My point earlier was that I can't see any action being taken against someone who is playing the game as it was designed.  .....and in all honesty, trolling/griefing is something R* allows and (arguably) even condones by design.  

The whole parley mechanic is a perfect example of this.  They knew that some would try to grief other players so they included this option to help "protect" those being bullied for a limited time  ......I use "protect" in quotes because I think it was a weak effort to throw a bone to the victims while still allowing trolls to run free with no consequences.

....so unless someone is using an exploit, cheating and/or verbally abusive you as they continue to kill you, I wouldn't expect anything to result from reporting them.   It's a waste of time IMO.  

Personally, I block trolls and make it a habit of avoiding random players all together when possible.  How much interaction with strangers I expose myself to also depends on whether I'm playing alone or with friends.  

4 hours ago, Abysstic said:

Not everyone riding in your Vicinity wants to head shot you.

Yeah but if someone rides up on me especially when I try to purposely avoid them or I'm off of the road, I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt.

There's always a risk, but there are ways to approach randoms in this game and ways that deserve an aggressive response IMO.  If I'm on a road or in a town or see that someone is making a conscious effort to allow some space, I'll won't be the aggressor.  

22 hours ago, Reyes said:

On Xbox the other day, there was a guy wanting to get as many of his buddies to super group and run the server.   At the time that I joined he already had two teams of 7 and was working on the 3rd posse.  I quit once I heard and went and played another game.

On 12/11/2018 at 4:30 AM, dredd1961 said:

KILL THEM BACK!

Ya.. thats the only logical reply.    People who report them are wasting their time

If i get killed for no reason from a distance or shot in the back..  I reload my rifle and revolver with express rounds and just start killing back and i really can't stop.  I'll just keep killing them for hours if i can.

If they are just playful trolls, then i play back.    I try not to go too over board and have fun with em.

For me theres a big difference between roof top snipers in town compared to someone who runs up and tries to hog tie or start a fist fight.

• Like 1

Why is reporting them a waste of time if it gets results (as per a post elsewhere)? 

Someone was banned recently, it was said, for griefing.

Not something I can be bothered with, but it might be that some trolls wasted their cash on this game.

2 minutes ago, Poggy said:

Why is reporting them a waste of time if it gets results (as per a post elsewhere)? 

Not something I can be bothered with, but it might be that some trolls wasted their cash on this game.

For me is goes against my code..lol

I think this songs lyrics perfectly explains my mind set after i get shot for no reason.

1 hour ago, Poggy said:

Well, perhaps they were but I have a hard time believing Microsoft would ban a player in a PvP game mode for simply ambushing another player at a butcher.  

That said, I don;t know how MS does it but maybe that player already had multiple complaints about other infractions, I just don't see how MS could ban someone for playing the game as designed.  

I'm not excusing griefers / trolls, but the definition is certainly not as absolute as some will try to make it (in this game in Free Roam).  

Edited by Kean_1
  • Like 1

I got killed today, right after logging into New Austin. After it happened, I do what I normally do, go to another server. 

Same thing happened as soon as I logged in the second time. I decided now might not be a good time, so I logged off for now.

But that's what I usually do, just jump from server to  server until I can at least settle in for a bit.

At this point, I wish Rockstar would let us know if there will eventually be PvE servers or some way to flag myself like I do my camp. I'd rather not keep investing my time in the game if something such as that is not planned. 

I experienced one of the reasons I don't just walk away from this game the other day. I did a stranger mission with a cut scene. Someone told me not to finish the mission and when the timer appears to let it run out and see what happens. The timer ran out and I pressed left to see how many people were there in the lobby with me. There was no one. My name was the only one showing. 

I hunted for about two and a half hours, stacking more skins than I normally would because I had no worries about being killed and losing them. Just minding my own business, walking the areas around me. This is closer to the experience that I thought Red Dead 2 Online was going to be. The constant looking over my shoulder isn't relaxing at all.

I would have played all day but I had to be somewhere. I was really pissed off that I couldn't play longer.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Poggy said:

True.  And getting people banned isn't my bag, but if reporting does, even sometimes, result in banning, it's effective.

Sure.  I'm not trying to discourage anyone from reporting players but I just don't see how someone can be banned for killing another player whether that's riding up on them while they're fishing, coming out of a store, hiding and surprising them next to a well frequented location, after tricking them that they are friendly, running at you full speed to catch you off guard, using a large posse as a kill squad, etc.  Those are all things the game allows players to do. Those are all things that many people here would consider griefing / trolling.  Aggressors will even argue that Free Roam is a PvP mode and everyone is free game.  ......and guess what?  They wouldn't be wrong.   

I don't like it anymore than most around here and I think R* is wrong in carrying over this kind of gameplay from GTAVO but it is what it is.  Untill they implement passive modes, private sessions, etc., this is what players have to learn to live with.  ....although I would continue to urge them to provide their feedback to R*.

It's this whole idea that MS would ban players for killing other players using (arguably) "underhanded" tactics in a game with a slogan "outlaws for life" in a mode that allows adversarial PvP is difficult for me to believe.  Now, if we're talking about people taking advantage of exploits, hacks and/or using abusing language against other players, I can totally see them being reprimanded or banned for that by R* and MS. 

Folks should do what they believe they need to do. R*, Sony and MS will determine what action is warranted.

36 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Sure.  I'm not trying to discourage anyone from reporting players but I just don't see how someone can be banned for killing another player whether that's riding up on them while they're fishing, coming out of a store, hiding and surprising them next to a well frequented location, after tricking them that they are friendly, running at you full speed to catch you off guard, using a large posse as a kill squad, etc.  Those are all things the game allows players to do. Those are all things that many people here would consider griefing / trolling.  Aggressors will even argue that Free Roam is a PvP mode and everyone is free game.  ......and guess what?  They wouldn't be wrong.   

I don't like it anymore than most around here and I think R* is wrong in carrying over this kind of gameplay from GTAVO but it is what it is.  Untill they implement passive modes, private sessions, etc., this is what players have to learn to live with.  ....although I would continue to urge them to provide their feedback to R*.

It's this whole idea that MS would ban players for killing other players using (arguably) "underhanded" tactics in a game with a slogan "outlaws for life" in a mode that allows adversarial PvP is difficult for me to believe.  Now, if we're talking about people taking advantage of exploits, hacks and/or using abusing language against other players, I can totally see them being reprimanded or banned for that by R* and MS. 

Folks should do what they believe they need to do. R*, Sony and MS will determine what action is warranted.

Well if it is what it is.  Then I don't have to buy another game they, cause my money is what it is to game manufacturers.  

Now like you said, if Rockstar releases a game and doesn't combat these issues, which I know has been brought to their attention.  Whether or no they listen, that is on them.  Yet any idiot that claims to be a PvP player and targets those that don't seem to be interested in it.  Really aren't PvP players, plain and simple.  If they think that it doesn't affect our community, then they are bigger idiots then I give them credit for.  The life of a game really depends on players playing said game.  You run them off and pat yourself on the back,  they sell the game and go do something else.  That is just plain stupid. 

17 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Well if it is what it is.  Then I don't have to buy another game they, cause my money is what it is to game manufacturers.  

Now like you said, if Rockstar releases a game and doesn't combat these issues, which I know has been brought to their attention.  Whether or no they listen, that is on them.  Yet any idiot that claims to be a PvP player and targets those that don't seem to be interested in it.  Really aren't PvP players, plain and simple.  If they think that it doesn't affect our community, then they are bigger idiots then I give them credit for.  The life of a game really depends on players playing said game.  You run them off and pat yourself on the back,  they sell the game and go do something else.  That is just plain stupid. 

Again, I'm not defending the game mode as it is.  I don't like the freedom griefers have.  However, the game is only two weeks into the beta and (as R* has said) there is a lot more to come.  I'm not ready to give up on it and RDO is nothing like GTAVO in regard to trolling IMO/IME.  .....if you learn to avoid them.  

Personally, I still believe there are more new options (like private sessions) to come and possibly other features like a passive mode, etc to help balance the gameplay.  I suspect they are simply getting the foundation stabilized before building upon it.

Edited by Kean_1

3 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Again, I'm not defending the game mode as it is.  I don't like the freedom griefers have.  However, the game is only two weeks into the beta and (as R* has said) there is a lot more to come.  I'm not ready to give up on it and RDO is nothing like GTAVO in regard to trolling IMO/IME.  .....if you learn to avoid them.  

Personally, I still believe there are more new options (like private sessions) to come and possibly other features like a passive mode, etc to help balance the gameplay.  I suspect they are simply getting the foundation stabilized before building upon it.

Griefing depends on the servers you frequent.  Some times I see more then others.  Yet I personally don't believe I or anyone else should have to learn to avoid A******s.  Now with that being said, that shouldn't be considered the games fault that players can't control their juvenile hormones either, regardless of age.  Though Rockstar does need to deal with it now and not later.  Foundation should be stabilized quick, not a wait and see type thing.  Changing servers should not be Rockstars answer.  Tricking my internet shouldn't have to be the solution. 

Players being just a tad bit more respectful to one another, would go a long ways.  Most of these players nowadays have no clue what that word even means.   

Simple fact is, upon game release they really have only a few weeks to maybe 2 months to impress.  After that players will drop a game and never comeback.  Rockstar has taken years for this, the countdown started in October.  They wasted a month given us time to play the story.   I personally will give them time, but even then I have seen high level players bullying lover level ones.  I have seen large groups focusing on just one player that isn't even participating in PvP.   

GTA allowed this crap and was hoping they wouldn't do this again in RDO.

20 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Griefing depends on the servers you frequent.  Some times I see more then others.  Yet I personally don't believe I or anyone else should have to learn to avoid A******s.  Now with that being said, that shouldn't be considered the games fault that players can't control their juvenile hormones either, regardless of age.  Though Rockstar does need to deal with it now and not later.  Foundation should be stabilized quick, not a wait and see type thing.  Changing servers should not be Rockstars answer.  Tricking my internet shouldn't have to be the solution. 

Players being just a tad bit more respectful to one another, would go a long ways.  Most of these players nowadays have no clue what that word even means.   

Simple fact is, upon game release they really have only a few weeks to maybe 2 months to impress.  After that players will drop a game and never comeback.  Rockstar has taken years for this, the countdown started in October.  They wasted a month given us time to play the story.   I personally will give them time, but even then I have seen high level players bullying lover level ones.  I have seen large groups focusing on just one player that isn't even participating in PvP.   

GTA allowed this crap and was hoping they wouldn't do this again in RDO.

Well, whether you or others decide to stick it out is entirely by choice.  Personally, I'm just trying to make the best of it and to be honest, I'm having a lot of fun so far.  Of course I want a lot of the same things others want which I believe will come in time (at some point).  Whether you're willing to wait or not is entirely up to you. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone to stick around if they are not happy with the game.  ......but I'll certainly help those who would still like to play and try to make the best of the experience in its current form.  

Just because I'm  suggesting alternatives like avoiding random players / trolls doesn't mean I'm happy with the current state but I also realize that this is just a beta and I have learned to live with it.....for now.  Whether I stick around for the long haul will depend greatly on the direction they go with the final release and beyond. 

5 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Well, whether you or others decide to stick it out is entirely by choice.  Personally, I'm just trying to make the best of it and to be honest, I'm having a lot of fun so far.  Of course I want a lot of the same things others want which I believe will come in time (at some point).  Whether you're willing to wait or not is entirely up to you. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone to stick around if they are not happy with the game.  ......but I'll certainly help those who would still like to play and try to make the best of the experience in its current form.  

Just because I'm  suggesting alternatives like avoiding random players / trolls doesn't mean I'm happy with the current state but I also realize that this is just a beta and I have learned to live with it.....for now.  Whether I stick around for the long haul will depend greatly on the direction they go with the final release and beyond. 

Right now there is no alternatives.  You can't out run griefers, you appear on the map.  There is now where to go if they really want to grief you.  

I agree enjoy the game and see what happens, but then again I have had some great sessions and I have had some horrible sessions.  In truth, there was very little control other then play it or quit it.  If that is the options, then the game has issues.  They need addressed now.

On 12/10/2018 at 5:15 PM, Kean_1 said:

You can't report what is allowed in the game by design and unfortunately, the way R* set up their online experience, trolling is perfectly acceptable.  On the other hand I have reported players for vulgar, verbal threats and racist remarks.  .....and I would encourage others too as well.

I had to do this last night. I hate reporting people for just pissing me off but these dudes were straight up being racist, be it to be funny or not it wasn't right and they were targeting a solo player too. I tried to handle it calmly but then they started calling me all kinds of distasteful names so I send the other dude a message and said to report them all and I would do the same. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skrylaxx said:

I had to do this last night. I hate reporting people for just pissing me off but these dudes were straight up being racist, be it to be funny or not it wasn't right and they were targeting a solo player too. I tried to handle it calmly but then they started calling me all kinds of distasteful names so I send the other dude a message and said to report them all and I would do the same. 

Yeah, the one I ran into started making threats on our characters lives and calling us vulgar names with racists remarks woven in.  

Since then, I play with my mic on mute when solo and PSN chat when with a posse of friends.   To be honest, I don't think I've heard a peep out of anyone since playing solo but then again, I stay away from randoms.

1 hour ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Right now there is no alternatives.  You can't out run griefers, you appear on the map.  There is now where to go if they really want to grief you.  

I agree enjoy the game and see what happens, but then again I have had some great sessions and I have had some horrible sessions.  In truth, there was very little control other then play it or quit it.  If that is the options, then the game has issues.  They need addressed now.

Well, then we'll just have to agree to disagree on that topic as I have rarely been "griefed" by random players when playing solo.  I think I've only had two encounters where I actually had to face them.  In one, I decided to take  a stand and killed them along with their horse.  In the other instance, they got the jump on me as soon as I spawned in so I opened a new session.  

If you don't take certain measures to limit your exposure, of course you will get trolled.  Several of us have provided alternatives or options to helping mitigate the problem.

Personally, I tend to spawn in to the Ambarino region as that tends to be rarely inhabited.  I immediately crouch down, ready my Lancaster and walk (still crouched) from my spawn point to cover.  I am also looking at my minimap to see if there are any other players in the vicinity.  If not, I will open the big map and get a larger picture of where players are congregating.  I then plan out what my goals are for the session (e.g. hunting / gathering, collecting treasure, etc.).  I usually set a destination and check that it's far from any other people.   

If I'm hunting, I will often plan a route to a town (with a butcher) that is void of any activity.  ....periodically checking to make sure no new people have moved into my path, in town, etc.  When in town, I'm in and out.  I don't dally around.  These are areas that you are most susceptible IMO / IME (near fast travel spots, etc.).  You also need to be flexible and change your routes / plans accordingly. 

As for outrunning, I beg to differ.  You most definitely can outrun griefers especially if you use the terrain to your advantage.  I've done it several times.  ....but then again, if you're not keeping an eye on your minimap (and periodically the big map), you're taking a big risk in getting rolled over by someone.  It's second nature to me now checking the radar, etc.

Also, remember that when crouching, the enemy cannot see you on the map.  Use that to your advantage.  As soon as you crouch, move from that spot to another close by with cover.  When playing with friends, we've had pursuers where we purposely stopped, crouched and moved to defensible positions.  In one recent event, a solo player we had been keeping an eye on came up on us fast.  We were off the beaten path and you simply don't do that without expecting a bad result.  Anyhow, I immediately gunned him down.  When he respawned he came after us.  We dismounted in a tree line, crouched, took cover and blasted him as he approached.  We moved from our previous positions (again, staying crouched) as he approached again.  This time he left his horse at the base of a ledge, I waited behind a large tree until he passed me and then we opened up on him.  I made it a point at that stage to purposely go over to his horse and kill it.   .......he left the session.

I shouldn't have to say it but playing with friends is probably the best way to increase your chances of staving off attacks and surviving them as well.  ....but there are ways to still play solo and avoid them for the most part.  Until we get private sessions, passive options, etc., this is how I do it.

14 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

As for outrunning, I beg to differ.  You most definitely can outrun griefers especially if you use the terrain to your advantage.  I've done it several times.  ....but then again, if you're not keeping an eye on your minimap (and periodically the big map), you're taking a big risk in getting rolled over by someone.  It's second nature to me now checking the radar, etc.

Also, remember that when crouching, the enemy cannot see you on the map.  Use that to your advantage.  As soon as you crouch, move from that spot to another close by with cover.  When playing with friends, we've had pursuers where we purposely stopped, crouched and moved to defensible positions.  In one recent event, a solo player we had been keeping an eye on came up on us fast.  We were off the beaten path and you simply don't do that without expecting a bad result.  Anyhow, I immediately gunned him down.  When he respawned he came after us.  We dismounted in a tree line, crouched, took cover and blasted him as he approached.  We moved from our previous positions (again, staying crouched) as he approached again.  This time he left his horse at the base of a ledge, I waited behind a large tree until he passed me and then we opened up on him.  I made it a point at that stage to purposely go over to his horse and kill it.   .......he left the session.

I shouldn't have to say it but playing with friends is probably the best way to increase your chances of staving off attacks and surviving them as well.  ....but there are ways to still play solo and avoid them for the most part.  Until we get private sessions, passive options, etc., this is how I do it.

As for outrunning them, if their horses are faster then yours, which usually that is one thing they upgrade and they generally run in a Posse.  It isn't hard for them to catch you.

I have been crouching in cover and had players travel from town straight to me.  So I ain't positive that crouching always works.  As far as how many griefers you see really depends on the servers you have access to.  Usually the region you are in will put you into the same area of griefers.  It is funny, I play some in the morning and some at night.  The players in the morning have always been out to grief.  You spawn in and you can check the map, they will have already started heading your direction.  Meanwhile at night, I have seen players move away once I have spawned in and won't bug me the whole time I am playing unless I initiate something.  

You are right, you can take precautions to a point, yet you can't avoid it.  Running off to another server or running to the farthest point on the map.  It doesn't help every time griefers will grief as much as possible.  As far as always joining a posse, unless you have friends on all the time, randoms seem to only worry about themselves and don't give 2 cents about a group agenda.  

• Kean_1 changed the title to The Great Griefer Thread