The Great Griefer Thread

Reyes

1 hour ago, HuDawg said:

I mean, I like to hunt animals and fish.  But my preferred prey are hostile players aka griefers.

But for some reason my mental code forbids me to shoot 1st...lol. 

So I need the griefers.

*tips hat to fellow moral code user*

I do the same. That's why I don't have much problem finding someone to shoot lol. There's always some asshat wanting to gun you or some poor sop down just for existing.

IDK. I just broke level 70 and  I went 4 days without being griefed and then last 2 days have been a shooting match.  Mostly griefed after coming out of free rooms.

Yes most have been noobs and I shot the whole posse up in one case (so proud of myself)

Then you get the occasional hit and run who I like to torment by following them till they parley or sign off

But I've also run across couple of high rank guys who I think are just bored wilth the game.  One 234 level guy thanked me for fueding with him (and yes he thoroughly kicked my tush)

I'm definitely in the they need private lobby's, content update and think they should put bounties that other players can collect on blood red griefers and let the community police itself  (although that may devolve into chaos)

Most red dots for me seem to be just players having posse fights, let them Duke it out in a private lobby without dumb killing tax

Edited by Dissention
  • Thanks 1

Hi Cap'n and welcome to the forums.  

If it's all the same to everyone else, I'm going to go ahead and merge this to the "how do you handle griefers/trolls" topic as I can already see this driving toward the typical circular discussion.  .....and we really don't need another thread that will go down that rabbit hole.

Long story short, some folks will never agree on this subject but there is a R* Beta Feedback site I would encourage folks to use to submit their ideas, suggestions, grievances, etc.  Many have already done this and R* has reacted to that input (much of the recent TU was a direct result of that input regarding this topic).  Whether some folks like it or not, the community spoke, R* agreed and made changes to try and mitigate the problem.  ......and it's still early in the beta so things will likely be tweaked, added and removed as time passess.  RDO is an ever evolving-project.

I encourage everyone, regardless of their position on the issue(s) to let R* know how they feel.  Don't blame others for voicing their own opinion on the topic. Everyone has the same opportunity to do so.  No need to be dismissive or discourteous to others simply because there is a disagreement on  what the Free Roam experience should be.  .....which is the only option for everyone at the moment and into the foreseeable future. 

Here's a link to the Beta Feedback site:

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/online/feedback?step=f2e50892

• Kean_1 changed the title to How do you handle griefers/trolls?

8 March 2019...the new lobby glitch spreads across YouTube, just in time for the weekend. I wonder if Rockstar will leave this one alone as long as there are no item dupes going on.

It's obvious to most that many players will go the extra mile to avoid playing with griefers, at least during some times of their gameplay.

It's kind of ridiculous that this continues to take place, in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Voss said:

They could fix the griefing by actually giving the players something to do.

I hate to say it, but I don't really hold it against the griefiers any more. It's not for me, but I  understand it and can of enjoy taking some punks out since that's really the only game play that currently exists.

More things to do mean more reasons for players to shoot you, Rockstar doesnt want you making money in this game remember? so if they add new things to freemode they're more than likely going to make you a target one way or another. 

The only fix is separate lobbies and i'll push for it until its a thing lmao.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HuDawg said:

I was gonna say add me on xbox.   I literally just hang around players and wait for things to pop off...

I mean, I like to hunt animals and fish.  But my preferred prey are hostile players aka griefers.

But for some reason my mental code forbids me to shoot 1st...lol. 

So I need the griefers.

See, i come from the competitive community of GTAIV and RDR1 so my thing was/is to shoot randoms first. In RDR2 i do it a whole lot less because auto aim ruins the shooting mechanics out right but i still get an itchy trigger finger every once in a while. I enjoy seeing how well people play the game while giving me a chance to get better at the game. 

If people dont enjoy me fighting them im fine with them leaving my game, i honestly expect it in todays gaming market but i wont follow them into their next game.

i think it would be really cool if the bounty i got could be taken by other players, give a reason for people to come after me and stop me from fighting other randoms or something. Hell, i'd probably be really interested in hunting bounties seeing how its normally people who would wanna be shooting stuff anyways. I did that in RDR1 because bounties in that game were caused by kill streaks against other players or a REALLY high bounty from cops so its a 50% of someone who is wanting to fight.

Well if the subject is on how do we handle griefers all of the sudden tonight I was unable to sell meat or collect stuff at the PO as a penalty.

Dude shot me cold back of the head as I pulled into Butcher. then they tried to tag team me. 

Got 1 of the two, other one ran away.  I think that's fair.

The time out kinda lame

9 hours ago, Diss said:

It's pretty obvious a lot of people are geting hacked off about the griefing, but what do we think are the reasons why R* are still  not implementing passive modes or invite only lobbies?

The way the game is meant to work is to have posse conflicts. They want players to fight each other and find ways to "claim" the west. That is my guess. I am all for this but I think having private servers is a good idea for people who want a break from it.

In a positive way, looking to decipher the difference and suggest a possible tweak or change. Ill submit to R* when I get a clear thought after maybe other peoples suggestions along the same lines.

( I was fishing last night, 50 feet from my camp border, a player came over and got off his horse, and was either picking herbs or shooting birds, I dunno, I made a point to put my pole away for a second, acknowledge the player, wave, and then re arm my pole and go back to fishing, the player stood behind me for a few minutes while I fished then all at once, tackled me, and killed me then rode off and left the game after I hit parley to avoid him, and sent him a note thanking him for minding his own business.) that is typical of the people I meet in game, they all feel a need to kill me without warning or after pretending to be neutral.

One guy got off his horse,  on the road that enters Strawberry and waited for me to leave the butcher and on my way out of town I had to pass him, I could see he was squatting a little with a rifle poised to kill me as I rode by, I somehow deaked and moved and survived the attack, he didnt chase, just left the game, this is my typical encounter.)

In both experiences I asked myself now what were they thinking,? why was it important for them to kill me then?

The game has potential, hopefully they can find balance between free roam and fun and killing.

There needs to be a way to stop the killing that doesnt make sense,

encourage it when it does.

There seems to be confusion about the wild west, outlaws and killing.

For example, some say, well its the wild west, this is to be expected, but I say, no your wrong, even  in the wild west, people didnt ambush a guy fishing, murder him,  not even for any money or anything worth anything, just kill him without even knowing his name, and move on, those arent outlaws, they are psychotic murderers.

Perhaps one or two existed someplace at some time, but they arent the norm and that isnt how things were.

Sure there were some, but with every murder they committed they were hunted more and more until they were caught, even other outlaws hated them, they had no honor and were essentially murdering cowards who gave highwaymen, road agents and outlaws bad names.

Outlaws often had honor, they lived by a code, they would challenge a person to a dual, or a shoot out, or a fist fight, they didnt sneak up and shoot you in the back, the ones that did were hated by everyone and often hunted by the law and other outlaws.

If you called a man a coward or a liar it meant you had to back it up with your fists or pistols, and that was normal and to be expected, I watch Westerns everyday.

Maverick, Tales of Wells Fargo, Laramie, Wanted Dead or Alive, Cheyenne, etc..

In our game  this is skewed, people get bored and without any incentive or pay off they decide to kill you for fun, not for any real reason or benefit, just to do it, and this will ruin the experience if you want to create a community of outlaws.

Now if they give you some warning, or reason, or the game develope's that way, so you can be challenged by players then start off even and fight in some way, that would be great, but if they continue to just let people arbitrarily kill everyone without cause, the game gets watered down and the fun level drops as it becomes more of a hassle than anything.

I was thinking, 

Why not suggest a few changes, like if you attack a person without cause, and they fight back and beat you, when they loot you, you lose 25% of your money, no matter how much you have, this might deter some. or you lose honor and have honor play a much bigger role in the game, low honor gets paid less for activities, and lower payouts in all games, etc.. higher honor enjoys the benefits of discounts and higher payouts.

Killing npc's has little effect, but other players would have a much stronger affect.

and why not use the honor bar, to color code players, so instead of blue and red,  color the honor bar and make the players the shade that they actually are within the honor bar?

So you can see clearly this is a low honor person or a high honor person coming and judge for yourself what to expect, you know a low honor person will probably just try to kill you no matter what, and visa versa and have some measure of protection for players that dont want to be on guard every second and have to worry about running to the post office without being murdered. 

Even in the wild west few places were so bad that people couldnt go outside without the fear of death, and those places that did were quickly changed and turned into legend.

Also for those that enjoy this behavior, make the game partly in favor of killing and offer a new challenge system where one player can pick a fight with another but the other player has to accept to take part in the fight, so instead of ambushing people you can dual, or bring a friend and fight as a team, but if you pick that fight and lose, you will pay, just like in life, and closer to how it would have been.

If they did something along these lines, pointing your gun at another player who hasnt accepted your challenge and who isnt taking part in some activity along those lines, and you cant target them, like your gang members in SP on missions when you cant shoot them, the same thing.

OR

if you just arbitrarily kill people you should lose honor, and money and then everything should costs more for you, if this is your behavior.

So say you kill a stranger by shooting him in the back, you woudl get a high bounty on you that any player can collect, you would be marked on the map and so any player in the game woudl then see you with a $ sign on your head, and anyone who captures or kills you woudl earn the bounty.

Plus you would lose 10% to 25 % of your money when caught.

Things like this can fix this system we have now.

Maybe a few tweaks along the way we can get rid of the stupid killing that serves no purpose at all for anyone, it only  satisfies those looking to ruin your game and waste your time.

If they have a fun way to still fight yet respect players who dont want to fight, ie: a guy fishing by himself along the river minding his own business.

Even in the old west, murder had motive, what is the motive to kill a fisherman with no money or gold or fish?

Anyway not complaining about the game, I am enjoying learning the online part, but thought maybe something along these lines can be eventually tweaked a little to make it more fun for those new players starting to gear up who dont need to get killed every 5 minutes for seemingly no reason, taking the fun out of the game, its hard enough to level up, hunt, fish, craft, get a foot hold, without being cut down every few minutes just because you are there.

Just my thoughts as I was playing last night observing people.

Trying to be constructive, not whining, I just think fundamentally this is a flaw in the game and it would sure be nice to find a way to balance it.

Edited by lumper

Internet scummery is ubiquitous and an actual real stinking reality that we all have to deal with somehow or other nowadays. You can play different, for example the situations you just described with those "players" would play out much shorter and much worse for the i/s if it were me nonchalantly trying to mosey through. That wouldn't have been the case a few weeks ago before I started to see how things were though, I'll admit. Or, alternatively (my preferred choice) you can just choose not to "play" with them at all and not waste precious moments of your life in the unwelcome company of worthless life sucking nabobs and swap game/session/whatever, They make the most noise and stink around the interwebs but there really isn't that high a percentage of them, Predictably, most are as thick and witless as several planks too and generally easily avoided.

• Like 1

The only way to stop griefers is to punish them so severely they won't want to kill another. Then the game will be a hunting fishing herb collecting love fest that even your kids can join in on.

I am not a griefer fan so don't come down on me but there is no easy way to stop these types of players. 

I think R should make it so that when you enter the online portion of the game you get to select a path that you want to travel. Bad guy versus good guy not hunter/fisher versus griefers. Bad guy route you will be heavily penalized for indiscriminate killing and good guy given "something" for being a bounty hunter/lawman. As for the hunting fishing part of the game...how many westerns have you watched or read where that was the favorite past time? Every western is good versus evil not let's go have a fishing competition. If any of you can share a title of any movie book where there is no evil, let us know so we can be sure to read it.

Imagine you and your gang robbing stages and banks and splitting the loot but then imagine when the White Hat Society posse is hot on your trail....just like a real good western. 

What the heck was the main story in story mode? Think hard, it was not recreational past times.

First, I’m not sure you can call the games time period the Wild West anymore. There were some Wild West holdouts trying to cling to life the way they knew it (like the Vanderlin gang), but things were already transitioning towards a settled west.

Putting that aside, even the Killers of the Wild West mostly had some kind of motive for killing people. Even the biggest baddest outlaws ever invented by Hollywood. Be it robbery, fighting off law enforcement or vigilante gangs or the like. I don’t think many people just stood on the street, randomly murdering people on their way out of the general store. If they did, I doubt they would be very successful, since they’d likely be gunned down in the street, or immediately captured, tried and hung by the neck until dead.

All that being said, I like the direction the OP is going with the risk/reward system. I don’t mind the violence per say. I just hate how people do it for no reason and little to no risk. If there was some kind of motivation/reward to be gained from shooting me, maybe loot some items and cash out of my sachel or something, and there was some kind of actual risk, like perhaps a real (significant) bounty gets placed on you that could be collected by other players when they eventually hunt you down.. the key is balancing the benifits gained from the murder with the risk you take by participating in the activity. Sure, you can make a grand or two killing people and taking their stuff, but if you don’t survive a real life few days after your last killing, you have to pay a good portion that back if the bounty hunter that gets you brings your corps to the sheriffs... Now if you spent that money your account goes negative and you have to live rough until you make it back (or buy gold bars?)

your mugshot from the beginning of the game and your name can be used in wanted posters that go up in sessions you join (let’s not make it too easy with a big red blip seen across the map and your bounty value). Perhaps collecting the posters can give some aid in tracking you down (last seen in Lamoyne or wherever you spawned in) with some clues showing where your wandering as you move about the map). If you have a bounty and collect someone else’s bounty, maybe get some good guy points to bring your value or time down a little...

I don’t know. What we have now doesn’t really work for me, but it was better than the random free for all the game started with. I just want some kind of balance risk/reward system that actually works in the free roam PvP. Something that can make it fun and challenging and potentially rewarding whatever side you choose to be on.

Edited by The_Liquor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lumper said:

In a positive way, looking to decipher the difference and suggest a possible tweak or change. Ill submit to R* when I get a clear thought after maybe other peoples suggestions along the same lines.......

No offense but this discussion is essentially the same arguments being hashed out in the main "How do you handle griefers/trolls" thread.  .....and like that thread, any attempts at finding constructive solutions finding balance in Free Roam are going to be met with the typical remarks you see here.

As such, I am going to merge this thread with the other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

What history did you study in school?  Outlaws had no code, they robbed and killed innocent people without giving them a chance.  You watched too many Westerns.

Uh, no they didnt

If you read what I wrote  we covered that.Outlaws lived otuside the laws of the states that were changing the way things had been, all open and free, so they had a code, but they didnt just murder innocent people who were trying to go to the store or post office.

The James gang, The Youngers, etc.. robbed, killed, stole, etc.. but nto from everyday regular folk, from other outlaws, corrupt leadership or whoever had what they needed at times, stealing and killing are very different things.

I dont know where you ( I hate to use the term learned) about the old west, particularly in this time period, but go ahead and give it another look, you are off here, maybe in cartoons or hollywood fictions, but not according to old legends and the history books, regular folks were able to live out their lives without fearing death daily as they went fishing or out to the store,.

You certainly dont have to read my posts, but if your gonna comment on it maybe just give it a quick look

A lot of people want to believe it was that way to justify their actions, but they are wrong/

And in this game it makes no sense either it isnt fun it doesnt give you anything or any advantage to do it, so it is really just peopel bored, hassling others because they arent happy, and this is fundamentally what needs to change if you ask me, or if you expect people to enjoy the game.

You can kill and steal, loot and rob all you want, but not innocent people who are just minding their own business,  there needs to be punishment, jail time, high bail, fines,etc.. for hassling players who are not engaging you and you just roll up and shoo them without warning and for no reason, and no this is not how it was lol, peopel ddnt just run around free willy murdering others for no reason, especially in a community or township.

They killed for money, horses, pride, and ego, but most had a code they lived by.

Edited by lumper

2 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

No offense but this discussion is essentially the same arguments being hashed out in the main "How do you handle griefers/trolls" thread.  .....and like that thread, any attempts at finding constructive solutions finding balance in Free Roam are going to be met with the typical remarks you see here.

As such, I am going to merge this thread with the other.

Well you can do what you want, its your board  but no I dont think it is even the same at all.

One is How do you deal with them, The other is thew difference between them and trying to offer suggestions and start a discussion on how Rockstar can implement changes.

I took a lot of time to think about what I wrote and ok, do what you want, I wont bother to contribute anymore, but to move the post is to kill it, people wont read it tagged at the end of a 6 page rant about griefing, I wasnt trying to do that at all.

I think it is frustrating to try to decipher the two and .... whatever its dead now anyway thanks.

It was never meant to be an argument, I made what I think are valid points and looking for others input and suggestions on ways to try to deal with it similar to how it woudl have been dealt with, but again...I tried, if we dont share ideas and you just decide willy nilly this one sounds like that one we arent going to get anywhere.

The people on these boards have been very welcoming and informative, so I really dont think this was necessary at all, given the difference in topics and approach.

Just because others discussed it once upon a time doesnt mean someone with a fresh perspective cant contribute ideas and thoughts too,

I think sometimes people/mods spend too much time on the boards, and read many of the same things and so to them it seems repetitive but it isnt to others and one approach and all the comments might be too much for someone to stick with it and read all the way to my post which is 6 pages deep now is unlikely.

I really cant understand why you chose to move such a long and thought out post, but given the game it figures, now mods are getting in on the action and here comes the shrapnel.

Edited by lumper

I'am sure (I think) their Database log (don't know how long) who/where you are and who you shoot vice versa. If so, they register whether you are a frequently griefer or not. If that's the case they can ban such players from the game for some hours! Just an idea.

Edited by Herta47

@lumper,

First, it's not my board.  I am here to simply to help moderate it, assist the community, etc.  Part of that is keeping things tidy in this forum.  This thread that I merged yours with has been discussing all aspects on the subject. To be quite frank, I simply didn't see the need to have several threads on essentially the same topic that result in the same points being made and develop into the same rehashed arguments or "rants".    

It disappoints me that you think I am making decisions here "willy nilly" or that I would intentionally move a thread here to "kill it".  That is certainly not how I operate and not what I am trying to do with your input.  .....and I am definitely not trying to stifle your ideas / contributions.  The reason this thread is several pages long is that it is far from dead.  It's still quite active with people responding to much of the input that is given.  

So, there you have it.  I would hope my explanation is good enough to show you I had no bad intentions through my actions.  

• Like 1

Biggest thing people fail to grasp is that what you consider fun may not necessarily be fun for someone else. There are many types of players in free roam and the different play styles make it fun. Some players just want to hunt , fish or whatever. Fine. Map is big enough were you can do that if you want. Hell, you are lucky to see another player for hours sometimes. Some players just want to watch the world burn and get enjoyment out of creating chaos. I'm fine with this also. Than you have players like myself who get enjoyment out of hunting the Devil's Rejects in addition to missions showdown,etc. In a weird way, the wolves hunt the sheep and the sheepdogs hunt the wolves. I think it balances out well. The new bounty system does hurt the sheepdogs though. That is the one thing I think is BS. I shouldn't get a bounty for helping out 2 low levels from a couple of bullies. 

I'm not going to quote history or anything like that . It isn't needed. I think R* is trying to create a world in RDR where anything can happen. They are just trying to find the perfect balance between sheep, wolves and sheepdogs. But I feel you need to have all these players in the same lobby to make the game enjoyable for all. 

Edited by Savage_Reaper
  • Like 2

For those interested in this topic that missed it, here is what is coming this Spring in regard to additional anti-griefing measure and features / options to further address gameplay balance. 

Regardless of what people's thoughts are on the subject of griefing/PvP in Free Roam, if there were any doubts before, I think this article makes it pretty clear what R*'s vision is for RDO and the direction they are going: 

RED DEAD ONLINE BETA: THE ROAD AHEAD

With each passing week we continue to add more to the Red Dead Online Beta, and the next four weeks will bring new Showdown Modes and Racing Modes, as well as a new Free Roam Event that launched earlier today. Alongside incorporating player feedback and addressing existing issues, the beta period has allowed us to lay the groundwork for the more advanced aspects of Red Dead Online still to come. Our experience of building other online worlds has helped us create a more evolved foundation for the open spaces of Red Dead Online, but the world of Red Dead Online will evolve in its own unique direction - one in which players have greater freedom to customize their play style uniquely over time, allowing them to sink into the world and their character and feel more connected to the experience of living as cowboys, outlaws and gunslingers in the wilds of 19th century America.

The next major update is currently planned to arrive later this Spring, bringing a host of feature upgrades and new content including:

The Hostility System
The Hostility system builds upon the anti-griefing measures added in February with smarter and responsive features that keep players immersed in the world through confrontations and PvP action. For example, players who have damage inflicted on them by attackers will be able to defend themselves without incurring Bounties or Hostility increases. Previously, the attacker and target would be marked as an enemy - now the attacker who inflicts damage will be immediately marked as an enemy to the attacked player; players will not accumulate Hostility increases for killing other players who are marked as an enemy.

Hostility increases will not apply within structured events such as Free Roam Events, Free Roam Missions, Showdowns and Races. Engaging in player vs player behaviors related to Free Roam missions will not incur Hostility increases, however attacking other players not engaged in the activity will cause your Hostility level to rise.  

The Hostility System has many more functions and will help balance experiences for all play styles.

Offensive and Defensive Playing Style Options
Some players just want to immerse themselves in the world, riding, hunting and fishing in peace. We want to offer these options while allowing players to coexist comfortably alongside other players in the world. The Offensive Playing Style is much like the current Free Roam play as we know it while the Defensive Playing Style is a more evolved version of the Passive Mode concept, designed for Red Dead Online’s more grounded experience - giving players more flexibility in how they interact with the world and at the same time de-emphasizing hostile contact with other players. 

Choosing the Defensive option introduces balances that complement a less confrontational approach: Defensive players cannot be lassoed by rival players - although if a Defensive player lassos another player, they’ll be removed from Defensive play and incur a significant Hostility level increase. Defensive players will trade the ability to lock on to other players for the benefit that other players will not be able to lock on to Defensive players. 

While Defensive players can target and be targeted in free aim, they cannot deliver or receive critical hits – if a Defensive player is attacked with a headshot, they’ll survive and be able to defend themselves via the Hostility system or escape all while remaining Defensive. There are several other adjustments that come with the Defensive Playing Style, all of which are built to work seamlessly with systems like Hostility and Bounties to keep all players rooted in the world.

Some other new additions include:

• More A Land of Opportunities Missions: continue Jessica LeClerk’s search for revenge as you explore the path of a Gunslinger or an Outlaw
  • New Free Roam Mission givers and mission types: Red Dead Online is set in the years before the single player story so expect to encounter a range of new and familiar faces as you traverse the frontier
  • The introduction of dynamic events: fight off ambushes, initiate rescues, defend folks in need and more as you travel across the world

All this, plus updates to the character creator, restructured Daily Challenges that eliminate hostile gameplay in Free Roam and introduce streaks for bigger rewards, the return of another classic weapon, the LeMat Revolver from the original Red Dead Redemption, and much more.

In the coming months, we will continue to add features and content that will allow players to immerse themselves in the world of Red Dead Online in brand new ways as they choose what kind of life they will make for themselves in frontier America.

1 hour ago, Kean_1 said:

For those interested in this topic that missed it, here is what is coming this Spring in regard to additional anti-griefing measure and features / options to further address gameplay balance. 

Regardless of what people's thoughts are on the subject of griefing/PvP in Free Roam, if there were any doubts before, I think this article makes it pretty clear what R*'s vision is for RDO and the direction they are going: 

RED DEAD ONLINE BETA: THE ROAD AHEAD

With each passing week we continue to add more to the Red Dead Online Beta, and the next four weeks will bring new Showdown Modes and Racing Modes, as well as a new Free Roam Event that launched earlier today. Alongside incorporating player feedback and addressing existing issues, the beta period has allowed us to lay the groundwork for the more advanced aspects of Red Dead Online still to come. Our experience of building other online worlds has helped us create a more evolved foundation for the open spaces of Red Dead Online, but the world of Red Dead Online will evolve in its own unique direction - one in which players have greater freedom to customize their play style uniquely over time, allowing them to sink into the world and their character and feel more connected to the experience of living as cowboys, outlaws and gunslingers in the wilds of 19th century America.

The next major update is currently planned to arrive later this Spring, bringing a host of feature upgrades and new content including:

The Hostility System
The Hostility system builds upon the anti-griefing measures added in February with smarter and responsive features that keep players immersed in the world through confrontations and PvP action. For example, players who have damage inflicted on them by attackers will be able to defend themselves without incurring Bounties or Hostility increases. Previously, the attacker and target would be marked as an enemy - now the attacker who inflicts damage will be immediately marked as an enemy to the attacked player; players will not accumulate Hostility increases for killing other players who are marked as an enemy.

Hostility increases will not apply within structured events such as Free Roam Events, Free Roam Missions, Showdowns and Races. Engaging in player vs player behaviors related to Free Roam missions will not incur Hostility increases, however attacking other players not engaged in the activity will cause your Hostility level to rise.  

The Hostility System has many more functions and will help balance experiences for all play styles.

Offensive and Defensive Playing Style Options
Some players just want to immerse themselves in the world, riding, hunting and fishing in peace. We want to offer these options while allowing players to coexist comfortably alongside other players in the world. The Offensive Playing Style is much like the current Free Roam play as we know it while the Defensive Playing Style is a more evolved version of the Passive Mode concept, designed for Red Dead Online’s more grounded experience - giving players more flexibility in how they interact with the world and at the same time de-emphasizing hostile contact with other players. 

Choosing the Defensive option introduces balances that complement a less confrontational approach: Defensive players cannot be lassoed by rival players - although if a Defensive player lassos another player, they’ll be removed from Defensive play and incur a significant Hostility level increase. Defensive players will trade the ability to lock on to other players for the benefit that other players will not be able to lock on to Defensive players. 

While Defensive players can target and be targeted in free aim, they cannot deliver or receive critical hits – if a Defensive player is attacked with a headshot, they’ll survive and be able to defend themselves via the Hostility system or escape all while remaining Defensive. There are several other adjustments that come with the Defensive Playing Style, all of which are built to work seamlessly with systems like Hostility and Bounties to keep all players rooted in the world.

Some other new additions include:

• More A Land of Opportunities Missions: continue Jessica LeClerk’s search for revenge as you explore the path of a Gunslinger or an Outlaw
  • New Free Roam Mission givers and mission types: Red Dead Online is set in the years before the single player story so expect to encounter a range of new and familiar faces as you traverse the frontier
  • The introduction of dynamic events: fight off ambushes, initiate rescues, defend folks in need and more as you travel across the world

All this, plus updates to the character creator, restructured Daily Challenges that eliminate hostile gameplay in Free Roam and introduce streaks for bigger rewards, the return of another classic weapon, the LeMat Revolver from the original Red Dead Redemption, and much more.

In the coming months, we will continue to add features and content that will allow players to immerse themselves in the world of Red Dead Online in brand new ways as they choose what kind of life they will make for themselves in frontier America.

R* doesn't get it..   And this is starting to grow tiresome.

Hardcore/Free aim Free roam..  Invite only..lobbies.  Simple easy solution to everyones problems.  

They instead prefer to pile on band aid after band aid.

So just by reading that..   I can easily put myself in a griefers mindset and see the loop holes.

Start a mission =  Griefing spree.

Defensive passive mode..   Perfect for cheap shotting. 

I don't NEED R*s  damn bullsh*t.. I don't need bounty hunters.  I don't need 'punishment' against players.   Il do it my ****ing self.   Hell I can do it blind folded thanks the damn auto aim.   R* is trying to suck the life and soul of this game...

Infact I think being a griefer at this point seems like my new calling.  Sure does seem like all the real action is in being bad... Maybe its time I turn heel.  Just out of spite..

Like holy sh*t.. What the **** does R* expect me to do in this game without hostile players?  

Edited by HuDawg
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How can online be so toxic.people who slag people off constantly then there best buds.people who highjack.people who control gameplay.one thing i cant understand is how grown men act like bitchy little girls throwing there toys out the pram everytime control is out there hands then act like big men the next min.its just a simple game yet men act disgusting over it.no wonder the old west cowboys died out.cowards at heart.control freaks by nature.all about gangs.sad reality but i dont play simple minded games like that.men who act like bitches and slag everyone off then next min acting like there best buds.you sad ass men always get what you deserve.sneaky dirty minded men.dying breed indeed brother.have your fun .take control .it wont last long.peace out.have your fun while it lasts.the future will catch you.SNEAK 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Saffron said:

How can online be so toxic.people who slag people off constantly then there best buds.people who highjack.people who control gameplay.one thing i cant understand is how grown men act like bitchy little girls throwing there toys out the pram everytime control is out there hands then act like big men the next min.its just a simple game yet men act disgusting over it.no wonder the old west cowboys died out.cowards at heart.control freaks by nature.all about gangs.sad reality but i dont play simple minded games like that.men who act like bitches and slag everyone off then next min acting like there best buds.you sad ass men always get what you deserve.sneaky dirty minded men.dying breed indeed brother.have your fun .take control .it wont last long.peace out.have your fun while it lasts.the future will catch you.SNEAK 

Your frustration is well founded, I totally understand.

There are good people too, not as many, or at least you dont seem to meet as many as we tend to avoid strangers online when possible, and the ones that just run up on you are often out to push the limits.

But, it is the nature of kids and video games, people of all ages act strange when others try to control them or take their control aweay it is natural, I love boxing games, not ufc but actual boxing, Fight night champions was an incredible game and still hold up actually, the online could be amazing, BUT it is not, lol as you have a few good people on there and then a thousand that will quit early if you are winning, and will use all sort of spams to beat you in the first place, I got to the point I coudl hold my own against most players, but I never enjoyed it as much as I wanted too due to the number of cheats, poor sports, quitters, whiners, etc..
COD WW2 is about the only online multiplayer I have played that I can say has the least amount of problems with other players. 

Until RDR2O came out it was about all I played as far as online goes, I cant wait to go back to it after a few months off.

I bought the season pass with all the dlc's so I dont think I have even sen the final map release of the season pass yet, Ill get back to it eventually but for now I am still 100% rdr2O

Edited by lumper

I would say there is a difference between men and adult boys. Adult boys act the way you describe. Men may get over competitive at times but they know when to tone it back. Adults boys do not. They just lose it on people. I don't know man... This isn't an issue with only this game. The game really isn't the problem either. Most players are fine but every game that has a large fanbase has these types. Just ignore em. 

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:17 PM, Saffron said:

Not really sure what you're complaining about.  But id shoot you in the ass if I heard this in free roam.  Just sayin'.

• Haha 2

On 4/5/2019 at 6:17 PM, Saffron said:

lol I hope this is an in character moment because damn, if not its quite sad... a wild west game that involves bandits?? how could this be??

• Haha 1

• Kean_1 changed the title to The Great Griefer Thread