The "Is This a Bug?" Thread

Moosh89

Just thought I'd make a thread for weird things we've noticed while playing. To see if anyone else has come across the same things or can explain if they know. Please add your own instances too and maybe we can figure out if it's time to report these to Rockstar.

For example, some daily challenges require you to pick "x" amount of certain herbs, but often you need to pick more than required to fulfill the challenge requirements for those 10 gold nuggets. However as another user pointed out, picking the herbs too quickly causes the count to get messed up. Conclusion: This likely is a bug, but there's a workaround until it's fixed.

So, some things I've noticed are:

- Wagons/carts with dead drivers slumped over, usually in triples. Often in towns like Valentine by the butcher, but sometimes along roads too.

- A similar instance to the last one, Wagons/carts driving leisurely with no/invisible drivers.

- Farms/ranches with missing animals, or just very few animals in the world in general. Today's challenges asked me to skin 2 roosters and kill some pheasants. Most the time farms like Emerald Ranch or McFarlane's Ranch had no animals, or suddenly there were no wild birds where there is generally areas teeming with birds. I tried at different times of day but the only way to fix it I found was to load into a new free roam session. Then 20 minutes or so later, the same thing would happen.

i believe the change of temperature and the day/night cycle affect their spawn , u have more chance finding animal on a good sunny day than a bad rainy one ,for the dead coach , i think they either shoot at each other cause they are blocking each others way , or maybe animal , like cougar or wolf jumped them, i seen funny things too , on a house with no roof there was a goat standing up on a wall , there was no way she could be up here , or other night i was walking in saint denis street and 7 black guys NPC started punching me , i havent provocate them has no gun equipped and my bandana was down , i got beaten up hard , ive also seen a Buck and cows stuck the head in a fences 

I think the dead npcs in wagons has to deal with how the box AI works. I've seen a wagon in Rhodes blocking an intersection and a horse rider pulled a gun on them and started shooting. I imagine the same thing probably happened to the npcs you've been seeing.

• Thanks 1

I was doing the strawberry loop the other day, heading back after the sun set... there was a huge line of wagons on the road heading into town, not moving. I went up along them and found  wagon going the other way, out of town with another huge lineup following. It seems the first two wagons couldn’t pass each other, then other wagons began pilling up behind them. It was kind of funny though.

• Haha 1

In race's : Players ghosting, ghosting when targeted, flicking from side to side and forward's but never backward's, unfeisably fast horse's.

In free roam event's : Players ghosting, ghosting when targeted, players in dead eye for far to long than is possible, players taking up to 7 shots to kill them.

I forgot another one that gets me nearly every time. When I'm galloping along a road and come up on an NPC rider coming toward me, often I'll pull right to give them plenty room but JUST as I get beside them, they jerk to their left and their horse's head is essentially a brick wall to my horse. We spill over and usually if that NPC has a companion rider, I get blasted by a repeating shotgun before I can get up lol.

Oh another one. Some asshat dynamite my horse last night as I was at the butcher. Horse is dying and I had no reviver. Ran to the stables, selected old horse, then switched to dead horse and rode out on full health and no bill. Then bought insurance just in case. Didn't realise you had to buy it for every horse.

Edited by Darkvicar

Not sure if this is really a bug or not, but the other day I was hunting in the Great Plains and saw three or four pronghorns. I immediately started galloping towards them with my gun aimed, and only two of them took off. One of them just stood there. I literally got off my horse and stood right beside it and it didn't even move LOL it just stood there like it was staring into space. So like any good cowboy, I took out my melee knife and took advantage of the situation and sliced it. Actually I think I have a video of it I may post it later, I thought it was pretty weird and funny at the same time!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Bumping this in light of the Spring update and to add my latest findings.

Just tried to get a stranger mission from Hector, The Boy and Alden back to back. They offered me missions but I couldn't accept them. The Accept prompt stayed greyed out. I did get one finished from the new Stranger in Lagras beforehand though.

5 minutes ago, Moosh89 said:

Bumping this in light of the Spring update and to add my latest findings.

Just tried to get a stranger mission from Hector, The Boy and Alden back to back. They offered me missions but I couldn't accept them. The Accept prompt stayed greyed out. I did get one finished from the new Stranger in Lagras beforehand though.

I'm having the exact same issue! Some stranger missions aren't working and the accept is grayed out. Also, sometimes when I go to the stranger mission icon the person isn't even there. Also, the new missions don't appear anymore. I tried restarting the game multiple times and trying to find a work around. I've also noticed the lobbies being very small, almost like I can't even find anyone. Maybe something is buggy with the server or something. 

1 hour ago, DylBandit said:

Also, the new missions don't appear anymore. 

OK THIS too, I assumed I did all the Honourable missions and needed to lower my honour for the others to appear.

like I said in a previous thread

EDIT: Yep, this is definitely a bug because across multiple sessions, between crashes, no stranger missions work and no story missions are popping. Guess I need to open my third ticket today

Edited by Moosh89

How about no animals or NPCs in the whole free roam world because there’s a massive pile of burnt dead horses outside valentine station? Go on a mission (Stranger or Story) and the world is normal but back into FR and same thing happens. Repeatedly and even after changing servers or reloading the game,

There is some serious concerns as yesterday there had been several bugs and non performing Maps all seems to be related to a big amount burned horse Corps, still Living, spawning up in Valentine. Here is a pic from the short film I did on it. There were also the ghost carriages which seem to have been driven by invissible NPC´s.

R* must be aware, so hopefully it´s gone soon and we possibly get some Dollars or Gold as comprehension?

hors.jpg

Edited by CPUTestUnit

Google search "Red dead duplication glitch". Game's probably gonna stay very broke until R* kill all the cheating scumbags out there (my preference) or get their interweb spanners out.  No point playing yesterday, what with lifeless lobbies, multiple DC's etc.

p.s. Don't listen to the bs spouted by R* "support" that implies that any and all problems suffered are entirely at your technical end and require you to reboot, reinitialise or otherwise fuss with stuff that worked just fine up til just now thanks very and will make no difference to anything whatsoever afterwards.

Been there, done all that with GTA5 at various points in history R*. Not falling for any of it ever again. Sort ur shizzle R*. Mine's fine.

4 hours ago, Traks1 said:

Google search "Red dead duplication glitch". Game's probably gonna stay very broke until R* kill all the cheating scumbags out there (my preference) or get their interweb spanners out.  No point playing yesterday, what with lifeless lobbies, multiple DC's etc.

p.s. Don't listen to the bs spouted by R* "support" that implies that any and all problems suffered are entirely at your technical end and require you to reboot, reinitialise or otherwise fuss with stuff that worked just fine up til just now thanks very and will make no difference to anything whatsoever afterwards.

Been there, done all that with GTA5 at various points in history R*. Not falling for any of it ever again. Sort ur shizzle R*. Mine's fine.

Several folks are reporting issues in RDO over the last couple days.  My suggestions is to submit a trouble ticket with R* Support here:

https://support.rockstargames.com/categories/115001624507?redirect_lang=en_us&_ga=2.43637154.687156781.1558287130-1821848105.1558287130

The more people that report these issues the better the chances are of having them addressed vs. dismissed.

Yeah I don't if this is true or not but other sites are reporting that with the new update came a fish exploit (which I saw but I don't cheat) and R* tried to patch it (I did receive a small update Friday) which caused the piles of dead horses.

Afterwards all my start menu icons disappeared, replaced by just the R* logo and for some reason I had 2 horses, first my main one had no saddle then the 2nd one kept spawning with and  my older saddle and  bags. 

I'm just taking the weekend off from the grind and now that it's not in Beta designation can I officially call it sh*TTY  or rushed programming?  

Today when logging on, my Stranger missions were working as intended but I still haven't gotten my next Land of Opportunity Story mission. After logging off for a bit, I did get a reply from Rockstar regarding the mission issue:

Hello MOOSH89,

Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support.

We are sorry to hear that even though you are able to play some stranger missions, you are unable to play some Stranger missions. Also, we understand that the game is crashing and you are unable to progress in free roam. We will definitely assist you with it.

Temporary files and data are often stored on the console to help the overall performance of the game. Unfortunately, these cached files can get corrupted over time which can lead to things like freezes, game loading errors or connectivity issues. Please Note: Performing these troubleshooting steps will not hinder your ability to play or delete any save data/progress you have currently made.

Steps:
Press and hold the PlayStation button on your controller
Select Turn Off PS4
Let the PlayStation 4 fully power down and wait at least 30 seconds
Restart the PlayStation 4
Hold L1 + R1 while booting up the game

In case if the issue persists, no need to worry. Let us try some troubleshooting steps that should help resolve the issues you are experiencing.

Booting Up in Safe Mode:

The PS4 system has the ability to start up in Safe Mode. This allows access to several functions that can provide you with a way to clean up and potentially fix many issues you may be experiencing.

Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.

When you have successfully booted the console in safe mode, please click on Update System Software. After updating system software the issue will be fixed.

In case if the issue still persists, kindly reply back to us so that we can assist you accordingly.

If you have any further concern, please feel free to contact us. We will be happy to assist you.

My best of wishes for your upcoming gaming adventure!

Best regards,

Arnold R.
Rockstar Support

In regard to the constant CE-34878-0, I haven't had one yet BEFORE I've had the chance to do the above steps, but I did finally get a regular ol' Disconnected from Rockstar servers after a bit better than 2 hours.

In other Bugs - I picked up a dead NPC body from inside Smithfields Saloon in Valentine that I assuredly did NOT kill. I was going to move it outside but as soon as I picked it up, there was a Witness and I was essentially framed for murder haha. I was immediately gunned down by the actual killer shortly after. I've got a video:

A few moments after I respawned and killed the hostile player, I mounted MY OWN damn horse and there was a Witness to Horse Theft... (whaaat?). I got off and made double sure it was MY horse, and the law started shooting me haha, I had to flee, on my own horse and come back to pay off my crushing 5 cent bounty. 

On 5/18/2019 at 10:38 PM, Moosh89 said:

OK THIS too, I assumed I did all the Honourable missions and needed to lower my honour for the others to appear.

like I said in a previous thread

EDIT: Yep, this is definitely a bug because across multiple sessions, between crashes, no stranger missions work and no story missions are popping. Guess I need to open my third ticket today

Yes, keep making support tickets because it lets your voice get heard about the issue. I've been doing the same, have to keep reporting until they fix it!

I went around killing weary travelers and eliminating witnesses to drop my honour into the negative, immediately Samson Finch's missions popped so now I'm back at 100% story completion in Online :)

@The_Liquor caught me doing shady deeds for Mama Watson too lol

Anybody having issues with the daily challenge of "jump onto your horse from 3 meters" today?

I've gone to Valentine and went up the stairs onto the balcony of the sheriff's office and jumped onto my horse but it won't unlock. Any higher (like the rooftop) is too high and I end up doing a face plant. I might ride over to the Strawberry hotel and try from there.

7 hours ago, Moosh89 said:

Anybody having issues with the daily challenge of "jump onto your horse from 3 meters" today?

I've gone to Valentine and went up the stairs onto the balcony of the sheriff's office and jumped onto my horse but it won't unlock. Any higher (like the rooftop) is too high and I end up doing a face plant. I might ride over to the Strawberry hotel and try from there.

Yep, having the same problem. Tried about 20 times. If I go to the Challenges log, I can see that the bar is shaded so that it appears I was very very close to completion, but I can't seem to find the magic fall distance to push it over the edge.

33 minutes ago, TheSkipinator said:

Yep, having the same problem. Tried about 20 times. If I go to the Challenges log, I can see that the bar is shaded so that it appears I was very very close to completion, but I can't seem to find the magic fall distance to push it over the edge.

Not much time left, so sorry for late answer, but Go to the wind tower outside of blackwater and jump from first level.

I was going to list my bugs for the day but seems I was using my old broken controller

Edited by Dissention

22 minutes ago, Dissention said:

Not much time left, so sorry for late answer, but Go to the wind tower outside of blackwater and jump from first level

Thanks, I'll try it!

*EDIT* Nope. I actually fall THROUGH the horse and land on my feet.

20190522_204914.jpg

Edited by TheSkipinator

16 hours ago, Moosh89 said:

I managed to do it jumping down from the tall rock formation in the middle of Tall Trees. Funny thing though is I failed to land on my horse and landed right next to him. The game still counted it though.🤪

On 3/25/2019 at 9:16 AM, Darkvicar said:

Got one shot head shotted by a lvl 4 yesterday even though I have never without one equipped and had my hat on. Happened shortly after with a lvl 134.

I have the same issue it seems the perk only works for some since the update