Springfield Rifle Perfect Pelts/Skins?

Vendetta

I've been doing a bit of research between the Springfield Rifle and the Bolt Action Rifle and there seems to be quite a bit of people saying that you can't get perfect pelts/skins with the Springfield Rifle and to use the Bolt Action Rifle while others say that you can. I'm in search of something for a perfect Alligator skin. What do you think?  

Edited by Vendetta

I never really had a problem with headshots on larger animals producing perfect pelts (assuming they are perfect to begin with).  In fact, I've done a lot of herd shoots where I would get 1-2 out of 4 or so with 3 star pelts. 

Have you tried?   Gators might be different than deer but I don't know since I rarely hunt for them.   

• Like 1

The Springfield seems to work better than the bolt action for me when hunting.  Regardless of clean shots or rushed shots.  I let the auto aim pick the spot and pull the trigger.  I do think one of my ability cards effects the results as well.  I've been testing different card builds and I've noticed a reduction in the my percentages of keeping a 3 star to a 3 star.  I use the recurve on alligators.  Dead eye shows the heart spot and head spot to aim for.  Make sure you come full draw on the bow, don't just flick the trigger button.  I can't remember if the poison tips take away a star on an alligator like it has on certain other animals.

Edited by SixGunLover76
  • Like 1

I prefer the Springfield as well.  I use it with express to hunt and never have a problem. I do tend to find the bolt action with the "higher accuracy" tend to miss more or more sloppy shots. I also prefer the Springfield for its quicker ammo style selection only having to change 1 round. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

I never really had a problem with headshots on larger animals producing perfect pelts (assuming they are perfect to begin with).  In fact, I've done a lot of herd shoots where I would get 1-2 out of 4 or so with 3 star pelts. 

Have you tried?   Gators might be different than deer but I don't know since I rarely hunt for them.   

Nope. Deciding on which one to buy, lol. I do like bolt action rifles (both are actually Springfields here in the States) and both fell in the timeframe of the Wild West which is the era of weapons that I'm interested in game. 

I'm currently Rank 29 so I haven't unlocked the Springfield M1888, but I can purchase the Springfield M1892 (.30-40 Krag).  

Edited by Vendetta

I have the Bolt Action, and while I don't own the Springfield in online, I have it in story mode. There are a few things that I like about the Bolt rather than the Springfield.

-A larger ammunition capacity (5 rounds as opposed to the 1 in the chamber)

-Higher RoF (Largely due to that bigger capacity.)

-Slightly better accuracy

For me it's a more versatile weapon as it works better in PvP. (for me at least), due to the larger ammunition capacity) The higher damage doesn't really matter as if you can land headshots, they're both one hit kills

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EjectedCasings said:

I have the Bolt Action

For me it's a more versatile weapon as it works better in PvP. (for me at least),

I need the Springfield in pvp. (Because I'm stupid)

Why? Because it automatically Chambers the next round.  And in pvp I usually  forget to cycle the bolt action manually in the heat of the moment. Got this great shot lined up, and.......doh! 

Edited by Freakshow9191
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Freakshow9191 said:

I need the Springfield in pvp. (Because I'm stupid)

Why? Because it automatically Chambers the next round.  And in pvp I usually  forget to cycle the bolt action manually in the heat of the moment. Got this great shot lined up, and.......doh! 

I feel your pain... I got into the habit of hitting the trigger twice every shot... once to kill and once to cycle...

6 hours ago, Vendetta said:

Nope. Deciding on which one to buy, lol. I do like bolt action rifles (both are actually Springfields here in the States) and both fell in the timeframe of the Wild West which is the era of weapons that I'm interested in game. 

I'm currently Rank 29 so I haven't unlocked the Springfield M1888, but I can purchase the Springfield M1892 (.30-40 Krag).  

In my experience, the bolt action tops the springfield in pvp.  Hunting, the springfield tops the bolt action.  I said that to say this, pick the one best for what you do the most of.  Just my opinion.  

I got the the springfield first but I hunt 90% of the time.  I suffered in pvp with it though.  If I could do over, I'd get the bolt action first.  It's always on my back when I feel there is a chance I may get into fights with players or characters.

Keep in mind, I'm Xbox if there are differences.

Edited by SixGunLover76

Both rifles are OK to obtain perfect pelt ofc if you dint miss the kill spot. 

I personally prefer the bolt action and imo its the best weapon in game. Sometimes i use Springfield bcoz it sounds nice or if im too lazy to aim for head in bounty missions - it has more power and a body shot kills the enemy. Peak condition and horseman + focus fire boosts the dmg nicely for those kind of missions. 

Before the "summer" update i used Lancaster for pvp but aftert the changes made to weapon reload times and body shots power i use only bolt action in Pvp as far as rifles go. 

It will be hard to top that weapon in next updates. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

I personally prefer the bolt action and imo its the best weapon in game. Sometimes i use Springfield bcoz it sounds nice or if im too lazy to aim for head in bounty missions - it has more power and a body shot kills the enemy. Peak condition and horseman + focus fire boosts the dmg nicely for those kind of missions. 

Before the "summer" update i used Lancaster for pvp but aftert the changes made to weapon reload times and body shots power i use only bolt action in Pvp as far as rifles go. 

Interesting, can I ask why you favour the bolt action for combat?  I have always been the other way around, I hunt with the bolt action and prefer the stopping power of the Springfield for combat.  This thread has me thinking that I have been doing it wrong!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with the Springfield M1892 (bolt action rifle) since it is currently unlocked and I need a good hunting rifle for my trader role. 

Nice avatar James!. James Hickok and Doc Holliday are my two favorite gun fighters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SimonTemplar said:

Interesting, can I ask why you favour the bolt action for combat?  I have always been the other way around, I hunt with the bolt action and prefer the stopping power of the Springfield for combat.  This thread has me thinking that I have been doing it wrong!

It the speed and accuracy. I can unload 5 shots faster than i would with the springfield and i can hit targets from distance more accurate. I know it seems like reloading the springfield is faster but when you master reloading times you will not change to springfield again.  Most of the time you encounter more than one player on your way and the speed makes the diffrence for me. 

From what i see in pvp games a vast majority of Lancaster users switched to bolt action after the Lancaster nerf.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vendetta said:

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with the Springfield M1892 (bolt action rifle) since it is currently unlocked and I need a good hunting rifle for my trader role. 

Nice avatar James!. James Hickok and Doc Holliday are my two favorite gun fighters. 

With you there.  My in-game character is basically a clone of Doc Holliday.  Dirty business doesn't mean that a chap shouldn't make an effort!  I'm often to be seen brushing my horse in Valentine when I drop in for supplies and realise that he isn't looking his best.  I'll risk a gunfight to maintain the look!

2 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

It the speed and accuracy. I can unload 5 shots faster than i would with the springfield and i can hit targets from distance more accurate. I know it seems like reloading the springfield is faster but when you master reloading times you will not change to springfield again.  Most of the time you encounter more than one player on your way and the speed makes the diffrence for me. 

From what i see in pvp games a vast majority of Lancaster users switched to bolt action after the Lancaster nerf.  

Thank you, interesting - I tend to use a Lichfield repeater when I need a higher rate of fire.  Would rather only carry one rifle - better for realism - anyway, so will try consigning the Springfield to the weapons locker and try the bolt action as my go to for everything for a while.  Thanks for the response.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SimonTemplar said:

With you there.  My in-game character is basically a clone of Doc Holliday.  Dirty business doesn't mean that a chap shouldn't make an effort!  I'm often to be seen brushing my horse in Valentine when I drop in for supplies and realise that he isn't looking his best.  I'll risk a gunfight to maintain the look!

Thank you, interesting - I tend to use a Lichfield repeater when I need a higher rate of fire.  Would rather only carry one rifle - better for realism - anyway, so will try consigning the Springfield to the weapons locker and try the bolt action as my go to for everything for a while.  Thanks for the response.

Always happy to share. 

I Always run 2x mausers Bolt action and shotgun or bow for pvp. 

2 x mausers, Bolt action, varmint for pve

Litchfield has terrible accuracy. I wouldnt recommend using it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Always happy to share. 

I Always run 2x mausers Bolt action and shotgun or bow for pvp. 

2 x mausers, Bolt action, varmint for pve

Litchfield has terrible accuracy. I wouldnt recommend using it. 

Lol yes I confess I carry a Litchfield as I like the look of it.  I realise that it betrays a certain disregard for my own safety.  Have never tried the Evans and I do like a repeater (love Jimmy Stewart movies) so maybe should try that.  I tend to use two LeMats up close and a rifle further out.  I carry a repeating shotgun but it doesn't seem to have much kick to it, so is really just a slow way of working towards a buckle!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SimonTemplar said:

Lol yes I confess I carry a Litchfield as I like the look of it.  I realise that it betrays a certain disregard for my own safety.  Have never tried the Evans and I do like a repeater (love Jimmy Stewart movies) so maybe should try that.  I tend to use two LeMats up close and a rifle further out.  I carry a repeating shotgun but it doesn't seem to have much kick to it, so is really just a slow way of working towards a buckle!

I used and like the LeMat's until....... Have you ever tried dual Mausers? :)   LeMat is a powerfull revolver but when you get out of bullets it takes too long to reload (again speed matters the most).   The reload speed, firing speed and acuracy blows away any revolver in game. Sure i know that revolvers are cool and more wild west style but those Mausers...... dang ! Combined with cards : Focus fire, Winning streak, Gunslinger's choice, Peak condition  absolutely destroy. The downside to this is that you run out of ammo quite fast and have to take breaks from pvp to buy/make more ammo. 

About the shotgun - I only use repeater shotgun (have tried the rest) bcoz it has more power than pump action and one extra shot. I catch myself using it less bcoz i tend to switch to dual mausers when in a close fight. I love em. The salve from hip from those ....... 

Anyway hope you will try those Mausers :) 

Edited by James Hickok_1837
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

I used and like the LeMat's until....... Have you ever tried dual Mausers? :)   LeMat is a powerfull revolver but when you get out of bullets it takes too long to reload (again speed matters the most).   The reload speed, firing speed and acuracy blows away any revolver in game. Sure i know that revolvers are cool and more wild west style but those Mausers...... dang ! Combined with cards : Focus fire, Winning streak, Gunslinger's choice, Peak condition  absolutely destroy. The downside to this is that you run out of ammo quite fast and have to take breaks from pvp to buy/make more ammo. 

About the shotgun - I only use repeater shotgun (have tried the rest) bcoz it has more power than pump action and one extra shot. I catch myself using it less bcoz i tend to switch to dual mausers when in a close fight. I love em. The salve from hip from those ....... 

Anyway hope you will try those Mausers :) 

I have avoided the Mausers as I try to be a bit more traditionalist... but maybe I should pick up a couple of Mausers to deal with the odd griefer.  I use gunslingers choice and do like laying down the heat when pushed to it.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 6:09 PM, Vendetta said:

I've been doing a bit of research between the Springfield Rifle and the Bolt Action Rifle and there seems to be quite a bit of people saying that you can't get perfect pelts/skins with the Springfield Rifle and to use the Bolt Action Rifle while others say that you can. I'm in search of something for a perfect Alligator skin. What do you think?  

Absolute bull sh*t! I exclusively use the springfield and I've never had an issue not getting perfect pelt. Anyone who says otherwise is biased against the Springfield and a liar!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MadMatt said:

Is this accurate?

hgfhjb.png.943d3015815bb612070953200f44ca60.png

I mean I know they say not to use shotguns for hunting... But I have fun using shotguns for hunting. lol

Next gaming session I will rank up to rank 30 and unlock the Double Barrel Shotgun. Can't wait!. 

• Like 1

I use the Springfield (and Varmint) for hunting and the Bolt Action (and Lancaster) for fighting. 

With the Bolt Action I am using Express Rounds.  With the Springfield I am using High Velocity rounds.  My experience is that express rounds degrade the pelt most of the time while high velocity rounds usually preserve the quality much better.  A little less damage, but a cleaner kill. 

I find it is much easier and faster to switch from one rifle to the other, than it is to switch ammo versions within the same rifle.  (at least on the fly)  With all ammo types available to cycle through, it's just faster and easier to keep the right ammo in the right weapon and switch them (the rifles) out with fewer button presses and errors.  Sometimes I would accidentally land on the wrong ammo type if I am in a rush and blow the poor dear into smithereens, or worse, forget to switch the ammo back again and realize I am PVPing with the wrong ammo.  Two rifles, two uses, much easier and efficient. 

And frankly, from my experience, they are each better suited for those roles. 

For me at least.  YMMV. 

Edited by Madrigalian
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Madrigalian said:

I use the Springfield (and Varmint) for hunting and the Bolt Action (and Lancaster) for fighting. 

With the Bolt Action I am using Express Rounds.  With the Springfield I am using High Velocity rounds.  My experience is that express rounds degrade the pelt most of the time while high velocity rounds usually preserve the quality much better.  A little less damage, but a cleaner kill. 

I find it is much easier and faster to switch from one rifle to the other, than it is to switch ammo versions within the same rifle.  (at least on the fly)  With all ammo types available to cycle through, it's just faster and easier to keep the right ammo in the right weapon and switch them (the rifles) out with fewer button presses and errors.  Sometimes I would accidentally land on the wrong ammo type if I am in a rush and blow the poor dear into smithereens, or worse, forget to switch the ammo back again and realize I am PVPing with the wrong ammo.  Two rifles, two uses, much easier and efficient. 

And frankly, from my experience, they are each better suited for those roles. 

For me at least.  YMMV. 

Thanks for the info!. Well everyone, purchased 50 Gold Bars to buy into the new DLC next week and I'm also going to use the gold to buy the bolt action rifle and the double barrel shorgun when I rank up. I prefer to save as much money as I can while the payouts are still good. 

Is there any benefit to going with the longer scope? 

Edited by Vendetta