Does the reporting system work?

Shaxell

I don't know what the timeframe is for reporting someone...we had a VERY horrible experience last night and nothing really came of it that we saw.

We were fighting an ambush and another posse ran in...during the fray I accidentally shot one of their posse...They then proceeded to continually kill us over and over...we parlayed...they followed us for 10 minutes till the parlay ended..they then proceeded to hogtie my wife (who is female in game as well as real life obviously)...taunt her...tea bag her till she was in tears asking to stop and they stabbed her over and over with sexual, racial, and shaming slurs telling her to kill herself in real life....we attempted multiple reports and nothing happened...

we are new to the online part of the game so we didnt realize till later that you can exit and you will likely re-enter in a different session where they are not active.  My wife is horribly shaken and traumatized by their actions and verbal assaults.  Does rockstar look at any of this? or is it a moot point?

Thanks in advance

• Sad 2

I’m sure they do look. People have been banned, had accounts reset etc...  there is also a chance you could raise an issue with PS plus or whatever platform you are on. Also, recording the sessions can help further your cases for future reference...

I want to start off by saying how wrong they were for doing this to both of you. These are the kinds of players who do not deserve the option to play online games. 

I think it is important that you have all their usernames on hand and report them directly to Rockstar and go into detail with everything that has happened. I would also look into reporting them on a higher level and going through whatever you were playing on be it PC, PS, or XB. 

• Like 3

There are players like this out there And we would be better off without them... I started a Female character for my wife a while back. I was playing as her the single digit levels to put a little experience and gold bars on her... well, I don’t know what would have happened if I didn’t break free and stab the guy in the face, but some guy hogtied the Lady Liquor in the saloon when I wasn’t paying full attention and was carrying me upstairs... I found it quite weird and creepy and rapey...

Edited by The_Liquor
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Don't forget you can disable game chat through the free roam menu, under the online options tab.  Make it posse only, friends only, etc...

I also know that reporting through Xbox ( not sure what your on) does get them banned from chat pretty quickly.  

Send a message telling them to leave you alone, and when they respond with hate messages, report it.  They'll be banned real quick.  From communications anyways. 

Also, play offline, and switch sessions, and they can't follow you. Xbox.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear this partner ! You definitely don't want to be in open proximity chat on most online games. Children will be children , I highly recommend getting in a posse that loves these interactions. There are many posses on this sight with morals. You'll need support against some of the villain posses running in this game. Don't back down and get y'all some Honorable gunslingers that live for these fights. Hope your Mrs doesn't quit the game over this as it's not the norm. Anyway I hope things level out for y'all and give em hell ! 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Shaxell said:

I don't know what the timeframe is for reporting someone...we had a VERY horrible experience last night and nothing really came of it that we saw.

We were fighting an ambush and another posse ran in...during the fray I accidentally shot one of their posse...They then proceeded to continually kill us over and over...we parlayed...they followed us for 10 minutes till the parlay ended..they then proceeded to hogtie my wife (who is female in game as well as real life obviously)...taunt her...tea bag her till she was in tears asking to stop and they stabbed her over and over with sexual, racial, and shaming slurs telling her to kill herself in real life....we attempted multiple reports and nothing happened...

we are new to the online part of the game so we didnt realize till later that you can exit and you will likely re-enter in a different session where they are not active.  My wife is horribly shaken and traumatized by their actions and verbal assaults.  Does rockstar look at any of this? or is it a moot point?

Thanks in advance

Report them to both R* and your PS or XBox if you play on either of those platforms. I know they do look at these as my sons friend got banned and lost his account access to the game for repeated ill behavior. He got a warning and didn't adhere to the it. 

I am sorry you had such a terrible experience. I hope this doesn't deter you from continuing to play as this can be a wonderful experience. What platform do you play on?

• Like 2

Nothing will probably done by R*.   Xbox or PS will punish people if you report a private msg.  In game chat is harder to deal with, mostly because theres no way to prove what people have said.  Not sure how it works on PC.

I highly advise you and you wife to learn to ignore BS from randoms.  Mute people, leave/find a new game, change chat settings.   Since the type of behavior you talked about happens all the time.   Theres no reason to get upset about it.

Myself, and most of the friends I play with have basically become immune to it.     I mean, not for nothing.  But I don't take little shits on a video game talking smack seriously.   Especially considering that in real life, id probably kick their asses with one hand tied behind my back. 

You think its bad now.. Wait till you start fighting back and they start to really get angry.

Remember the people talking sh*t, are doing it to get under your skin.  Your wife  'crying' and taking it seriously gives them what they wanted. 

• Like 2

Thanks all.  We play PC so not sure if steam will do something.

Normally she is pretty thick skinned in this being a main FPS competitive shooter player and the trash talking wasnt as much the issue, but the actions.  We turned off voice chat and only use discord and now now that you can simply exit if griefing goes above and beyond and jump into a different session (we thought we would pop right up where we left off and they would be waiting).  She is getting past it but going that far can be a bit traumatizing for a girl...even in a video game.  and HuDawg I agree...I could easily whip them into the next century probably..but IMO that doesnt make actions ok.  Appreciate everyone's input as we are new to the online side (I never played GTA online....just the FiveM side) so we weren't sure what to expect and this was one of the first experiences we got so was not sure if this is the norm and RDR2 online is just a trolling session.

appreciate it!

• Thanks 1

Ignorant behavior by random people will always be part of human existence whether it is online or real life. Unfortunately for you, this was the first time it happened to you in an online game. The best thing to do, in my experience, switch servers and leave the jerks behind and make sure you report them but most of all develop a tough skin, don't take that crap seriously. You are a better person than those yahoos, you can rise above it, they feed on your pain. And, most of all, don't be afraid to ask for help.

Damn, I am starting to sound like Opra. ;)

Red Dead Redemption 2_20190928100844.jpg

• Haha 2

On 1/5/2020 at 11:08 AM, Shaxell said:

Thanks in advance

I would strongly suggest you report them using the R* Support website.  They suggest going through the Social Club but to be honest, I don't know exactly where to do this through that site.  I would simply open a ticket and let them know they used racial slurs and threats / suggestions of suicide.  I am sure someone will respond with instructions how to report this or perhaps they will handle it from there, provide suggestions, etc.  In either case, most gaming companies take these types of things quite seriously although this may be a case of he said/ she said given there is no evidence.  Next time I would suggest taking video evidence if possible as that would provide the proof you need for them to take action.  

If you're on XB1 or PS4 and they send you a message with slurs, threats, etc., you can submit that through MS / Sony and they will act definitely on it as mentioned.  ......but I wouldn't go at of your way to bait anyone as that could blow up in your face as I've seen it happen to people before.  

To be honest, none of this is worth spending any more time in the game putting up with this kind of behavior.  As @HuDawg said, you're simply giving them what they want.  When you leave the session without saying or doing anything, they are left with nothing but perhaps a brief satisfaction of driving you away I guess.  .......but when you give in and especially express your frustration, hurt feelings, anger, etc., it only invites more of the same behavior.  In fact, it can also escalate to more harassment by them trying to follow you between sessions, etc.

XB1 and PS4 have features that can help mitigate this kind of harassment and I would suggest using those if possible.  I always block players like this so they cannot send me messages, join my Communities, see my activity, etc.  It may not prevent them from being in the same session in the future but I've never ran across someone I have already blocked so I don't know (PS4).

I will say that if anyone ever follows you to this forum (it has happened), let me or one of the other mods know ASAP.  Report any PMs, posts ,etc. and we will take care of it.  The owner has a zero tolerance policy regarding harrassment, personal attacks or any kind of behavior like that against our fellow members.

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2020 at 2:08 PM, Shaxell said:

Thanks in advance

i understand your frustration sir , first you have few options either block them via PSN so u wont encounter these guys again , then report them to rockstar  u can record their chat with ur ps4 , and also dont expect better , you are in an online game with ropes , knife , and dynamite and free roam PVP , Nothing good can get out of this ... u have option to go in defensive , join story mission pvp match and leave in lobby , or do another parley and fast travel far away 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pluck3 said:

i understand your frustration sir , first you have few options either block them via PSN so u wont encounter these guys again , then report them to rockstar  u can record their chat with ur ps4 , and also dont expect better , you are in an online game with ropes , knife , and dynamite and free roam PVP , Nothing good can get out of this ... u have option to go in defensive , join story mission pvp match and leave in lobby , or do another parley and fast travel far away 

Or posse up and show these as#hats they don't run the West , either way use everything you have at your disposal to make your game time fun. We ride around like vigilantes , doing our own thing untill being fired upon. Now you messed up ! Live for the fight !!

I think it is pretty shitty that we have to worry about playing online games because of people like this. I shouldn't have to mute other players to avoid them. I shouldn't have to worry about a girlfriend or spouse playing the game with me. This kind of stuff makes me sick and honestly disappoints me when it comes to the gaming community as a whole. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, SNAK3S said:

I think it is pretty shitty that we have to worry about playing online games because of people like this. I shouldn't have to mute other players to avoid them. I shouldn't have to worry about a girlfriend or spouse playing the game with me. This kind of stuff makes me sick and honestly disappoints me when it comes to the gaming community as a whole. 

Just to be fair, it's not the gaming community so much as it is a few bad apples that can spoil the experience for most.

• Like 3

Every fan base has bad eggs. If you focus on them, they will literally ruin everything for you. 

As for the OP, sorry it happened and I hope Rockstar helps you out with this. It is one thing to be a troll but they took this waaaaay too far. 

I was literally just wondering if the reporting system actually works. I just ran into some trouble, not nearly as bad as what the OP went through, which is absolutely sickening, although I have been subjected to being tied up and kidnapped one or twice, which is creepy, but once you've shot them in the face a few times, those solo players soon parley. However the amount of abuse you guys went through is... well I feel for you guys, its absolutely abhorrent that kind of behaviour. Anyway, today and yesterday I just seem to be meeting posses of dickheads, especially the one today, just kept hounding me. So I reported them repeatedly everytime they killed me. But I feel like reporting them is a pointless effort, the posse from today, is probably still online being assholes to other people, and they can do that with no repercussions.

As one or two people have commented, the only thing you can do is just leave, as much as you want to get revenge,  you just have to leave,

In my experience, the reporting system works as good as Rockstar has allowed it to. It could work a lot more efficiently but it doesn't because that is not their main focus. They don't want to spend hours a day worrying about banning or not banning players over every little thing. While people like the OP mentioned deserve to be banned from the game for good, there are people out there reporting other players for simply playing the game how it is intended and I think because of all these types of reports, more serious ones get buried. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simply_the_lex said:

I was literally just wondering if the reporting system actually works. I just ran into some trouble, not nearly as bad as what the OP went through, which is absolutely sickening, although I have been subjected to being tied up and kidnapped one or twice, which is creepy, but once you've shot them in the face a few times, those solo players soon parley. However the amount of abuse you guys went through is... well I feel for you guys, its absolutely abhorrent that kind of behaviour. Anyway, today and yesterday I just seem to be meeting posses of dickheads, especially the one today, just kept hounding me. So I reported them repeatedly everytime they killed me. But I feel like reporting them is a pointless effort, the posse from today, is probably still online being assholes to other people, and they can do that with no repercussions.

As one or two people have commented, the only thing you can do is just leave, as much as you want to get revenge,  you just have to leave,

A couple things.....

Don't expect that R* will ban or punish someone simply based on your report.  I suspect these types of people show up on their radar once several different people submit reports to them about their behavior.  

If R* does ban, restrict or otherwise deal punishment on someone, don't expect that they will tell you about it.  It's not how these things are typically handled and may even be considered unprofessional to share this with others.  There are exceptions but in most cases, no.....they are not likely to share info about disciplinary action taken against another player with you. 

Personally, I would use the reporting feature on the R* Support site if this is really a concern for you but something like you describe, that's just griefing.  I would use the in-game reporting feature, any blocking mechanisms on your platform and then call it a day.  .....move on.  Remaining in a session with people like this only gives them what they want and wastes your time.

I would also make sure to use the tools available in game to help mitigate your chances of being griefed like Defensive Mode, etc.  

Im sorry for your bad experience, as I'm also the victim too. 

On 1/6/2020 at 3:08 AM, Shaxell said:

Thanks in advance

To be truth from what i learned in gta online, reporting player hostile is not what we expected. The reason for reporting is to list down which player is hostile.

As in gta, rockstar will pick anyone from this list to spawn in our solo session, exactly when we start selling cargo. hardly to say that is coincidence, because happen all the time. I assume same system is apply in RDO. Those player wont be punished, as the game itself encourages them to do so. 

Most of time i just set myself to defensive mode. Not because I'm scare with them,  but i just want my gaming time is worth to spend after working.  Rather than having bad headaches with them. 

11 minutes ago, zinussan50 said:

Im sorry for your bad experience, as I'm also the victim too. 

To be truth from what i learned in gta online, reporting player hostile is not what we expected. The reason for reporting is to list down which player is hostile.

As in gta, rockstar will pick anyone from this list to spawn in our solo session, exactly when we start selling cargo. hardly to say that is coincidence, because happen all the time. I assume same system is apply in RDO. Those player wont be punished, as the game itself encourages them to do so. 

Most of time i just set myself to defensive mode. Not because I'm scare with them,  but i just want my gaming time is worth to spend after working.  Rather than having bad headaches with them. 

The in-game reporting feature is for reporting players who cheat, grief, etc.  There is an option to select the reason for reporting them when you use it.  For example, "disruptive behavior".  

Has nothing to do with a player being hostile or not. It's for behavior that is not welcome nor tolerated for one reason or another.  .....but again, don't expect them to act on your particular report as I am sure there is more to it than that.  I suspect they look at the input from other players as well.  In other words, if you report someone for disruptive behavior, they likely won't do anything if your report is the only one.  However, if several others unrelated to you do the same, perhaps they will.   

btw, randoms don't spawn in invite-only or solo sessions in GTAO.  That only occurs when you invite people in or are in a public server.   Most businesses only allow you to do deliveries, etc.  while in an open session.  You can't do most of that in solo.  In those cases yes, you have to be in a public server.    

35 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

The in-game reporting feature is for reporting players who cheat, grief, etc.  There is an option to select the reason for reporting them when you use it.  For example, "disruptive behavior".  

Has nothing to do with a player being hostile or not. It's for behavior that is not welcome nor tolerated for one reason or another.  .....but again, don't expect them to act on your particular report as I am sure there is more to it than that.  I suspect they look at the input from other players as well.  In other words, if you report someone for disruptive behavior, they likely won't do anything if your report is the only one.  However, if several others unrelated to you do the same, perhaps they will.   

btw, randoms don't spawn in invite-only or solo sessions in GTAO.  That only occurs when you invite people in or are in a public server.   Most businesses only allow you to do deliveries, etc.  while in an open session.  You can't do most of that in solo.  In those cases yes, you have to be in a public server.    

Yes. I was talking about public session. Since all business need to be in public. 

34 minutes ago, zinussan50 said:

Yes. I was talking about public session. Since all business need to be in public. 

Well, when you do deliveries, they are visible to all players within a public session after a period of time.  You are made aware of that via a message.  

It's not individual players that are alerted of this.  It's everyone with you in the session.  Same thing occurs in RDO.  .....so the idea of individuals who you report being privy to this information is simply not the case.  

On 1/5/2020 at 9:43 PM, HIGHHorse said:

I want to start off by saying how wrong they were for doing this to both of you. These are the kinds of players who do not deserve the option to play online games. 

I think it is important that you have all their usernames on hand and report them directly to Rockstar and go into detail with everything that has happened. I would also look into reporting them on a higher level and going through whatever you were playing on be it PC, PS, or XB. 

I think this is a good idea. File a complaint or whatever you have to do with a ticket directly through RockStar's help desk. Even if you don't have their user names, I'm sure they can research your account and find your report. Most important, keep gaming and don't let this effect your games. 

Edited by Vendetta
  • Like 1

Holy crap... I have been in lobbies before with some real trash players but this is something I never knew existed out there. They either have to be kids or really immature pathetic adults. I know it is easier to treat people poorly when you are in a game or behind a computer screen but it doesn't mean you should. 

Did you hear back from Rockstar about this? 

• Like 1