Speculate New Roles?

EjectedCasings

For the next Roles that will be introduced, what do you think it'll be? 

There could be loads of different things, here are a few ideas that I thought were cool

Store owner - Manage an actual store that sort of generates passive income

Real Estate? - Buy and sell plots of land, etc.

I would love the option to actually buy land but I am not sure how they would work that. Some town areas appear to not really have any land that could be bought or active empty buildings. I am still hoping for it. I know when RDR2O first launched, I was hoping we could eventually own a farm. 

Outlaw is a good shout. Lawman? Protection racket? Contraband smuggler/distributor?

I don’t see it happening but it would be interesting if in the role system you could lose xp and status for failing missions rather than it just being a one-way street.

I’m still shocked that collector is as passive as it is - I thought when it was announced there would be some competitive element to it like fending off rival (NPC) collectors to claim the treasures.

Prostitutes help build the west. So how about a prostitute role? Start out as a low level prostitute and level your way up to a high level prostitute bringing in big money. Please don`t be mad at me i`m just making a funny joke. But it is true that prostitutes helped the old west become what it was. Happy gaming everyone.

I'd like traders to be able to sell the tonics they craft.  It would give more purpose to herb collecting and more value to the pamphlets.  An outlaw role with bank jobs, train robberies and appropriate bounties would be good as well.  Perhaps bounty hunters could evolve to law men and lay traps to prevent these heist? It would change these missions to a form of PvP which would probably upset some but for me it's one of the main points of the game being online.  Otherwise you're just repeating what you've already done in story mode.

For the record I suck at PvP so I'm not hoping for this so I can stomp on people.  I just want a struggle so I can feel a sense of accomplishment. I'm also old enough to take my lumps and smile.  I've been dying on computer games for thirty years and whether it's red dead or Pac man I'm not that fragile.

Long term like many I'd like to own propert/land.

Edited by Vimes
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Fish47375 said:

Prostitutes help build the west. So how about a prostitute role? Start out as a low level prostitute and level your way up to a high level prostitute bringing in big money. Please don`t be mad at me i`m just making a funny joke. But it is true that prostitutes helped the old west become what it was. Happy gaming everyone.

LMAO.... I’ll need to recruit a Bobandy into the Liquor Snurfs if this happens...

D96203D7-56D2-4809-8D25-FA925A91B624.jpeg

• Haha 2

This isn't a new role - but I was thinking that it would be cool to have others in your Posse able to access your stored guns from the Locker in the Posse leaders camp.  When they are not in the posse any longer - the guns go back,,  Just a thought.... If this is in the wrong section or thread - apologies.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoolishLlama said:

This isn't a new role - but I was thinking that it would be cool to have others in your Posse able to access your stored guns from the Locker in the Posse leaders camp.  When they are not in the posse any longer - the guns go back,,  Just a thought.... If this is in the wrong section or thread - apologies.....

Not a bad idea... I think the combined resources of all the posse members should be available in the posse camp. When you join a posse, you bring your camp equipment, recipes,  guns and everything else for the communal use of all posse members. Leave the posse you take it with you.

• Like 1

Pin a badge on me and I'd be happy.  Love to be a Marshal or something.  Think outlaw is another good shout.  Would give some structure to those who want to do PvP play, and maybe then leave some more room for those who wish to avoid it to do so (as the players who want that would often become law or outlaw and then focus on one another).  Would also enable innocent traders maybe to call on player lawmen if attacked by player outlaws?

• Like 1

I am no expert (just informed by the wife that this game is coming as a possibly early Christmas present, with my promise I'd shut up about it already LOL) but I have been doing a lot of reading up and familiarizing myself with the game for a few days now.
So for what it's worth from a total greenhorn, I would like to see a trapper/mountain man profession. I know hunting is already in game, but it could be interesting to see it fleshed out (pardon the pun) to be a provider for the posse, or bonuses like access to more or better quality pelts, etc.
I also agree with the sentiments of others here that professions being further integrated into sales/team play would be nice.  From what I've seen they have done a great job of making this a somewhat realistic Old West sandbox, adding more player interaction capabilities would expand that quite well.

3 minutes ago, Faelwolf said:

I am no expert (just informed by the wife that this game is coming as a possibly early Christmas present, with my promise I'd shut up about it already LOL)......

Cool deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy the game and welcome to the forums.

7 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Cool deal. I'm sure you'll enjoy the game and welcome to the forums.

Thank ye kindly.  I am a (now retired/disabled) old historical re-enactor for the Old West and Civil War. Now that health won't allow me to be active anymore, this game looks to be a dream come true. Looking forward to it.

9 minutes ago, Faelwolf said:

Thank ye kindly.  I am a (now retired/disabled) old historical re-enactor for the Old West and Civil War. Now that health won't allow me to be active anymore, this game looks to be a dream come true. Looking forward to it.

That sounds interesting. 

I'm semi-retired myself from working life.  Gaming has been a past time for me for decades. I think you'll really enjoy RDR2 although I would recommend playing the campaign / SP portion first before delving into online.

On 11/3/2019 at 9:16 AM, Fish47375 said:

How would you go about doing this? I know it is a joke and all but now you got me thinking about it. Like the prostitutes in the old west were almost always women. So only female characters should be able to select this role. Then they'd have to consider things like STDs cause that was a huge problem in the old west too. It would make for some funny interactions though. You can pose as a prostitute for a rival gang member and them rob them when they are most vulnerable. lol

On 11/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, gsamson24 said:

How would you go about doing this? I know it is a joke and all but now you got me thinking about it. Like the prostitutes in the old west were almost always women. So only female characters should be able to select this role. Then they'd have to consider things like STDs cause that was a huge problem in the old west too. It would make for some funny interactions though. You can pose as a prostitute for a rival gang member and them rob them when they are most vulnerable. lol

They could be similar to the entertainer class in SWG. Each time you visit a prostitute, (or she plys her trade) there is a chance for either party to get the pox, which makes you lose core health that won't be restored until you visit the doctor. The core loss continues to grow worse over time if you don't. But she provides a buff to core stamina (since there isn't a morale core) if you avoid the pox. The pox is guaranteed to be passed along to the other if either party has it at the time of the transaction.  The question really becomes how far can RS go with the visuals of the transaction before it goes above a simple "M" rating.....  :)

• Like 1

Lawman/bandit.  Let’s say you are a trader doing a long delivery and you get attacked.  One of the buttons summons lawmen players to come to your aid.  Or you are in town and somebody shoots you.  Instead of Press Charges you summon the law. Or if you are a lawman and a gang of bandits robs the bank, you can ask for reinforcements.  If bandits win/get away, more money or gold for them.  If the lawmen fend them off, money or gold for all.

i think they’d have to change respawning rates or places or else battles could go on forever, but I think this could work quite well.

• Like 1

When we talk about new roles or updates we have to remember we exist in an limited world/system.  

As much as i would like to see properties or even farms i dont think this is possible simply bcoz there is no actual room for 24 farms/houses in game. There are no abandoned properties in towns, there is not enough land for farms. The only way this could be done is by instances but this would prevent Farms beeing in open world and accessable for other players. It would only base on NPC's what sux you would be alone in an instance with a farm.    I dont really see a way to implement those unless they make a whole diffrent zone - map dedicated to fields and houses. 

I would really like to see what others above mentioned is the lawman outlaw role to be developed to the playable state. I mentioned in other post today what is wrong with the bounty system in its current state and why is it not working.     I really hope this will be the main focus on next updates to come. 

I would also like to see an upgarade to trader role. I would klike to set my own shop and sell stuff in towns to other players like : Animal Fat, tonics, ammo. It can be set similar too MMORPG auction houses. 

Herb picking needs to be changed. They way it is now you dont need to pick herbs anymore. We just buy them from Madame Nazar. This is wrong. Tonisc and health potions should cost a lot more. Simple tonic should be 40 $ not 4... this way we could minimize the usage of those elixirs in PvP making it a bit more realistic. Herbs should be more expensive as well and not available to buy form NPC. This way there would be reason to gather those herbs again.

What is another thing i would love to see and stated it months before is Gold mining/panning role. There are a lot of mountains and streams in game. We should be able to set a small gold panning station like it was in Single Player mode and be able to make gold bars by farming gold. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

When we talk about new roles or updates we have to remember we exist in an limited world/system.  

As much as i would like to see properties or even farms i dont think this is possible simply bcoz there is no actual room for 24 farms/houses in game. There are no abandoned properties in towns, there is not enough land for farms. The only way this could be done is by instances but this would prevent Farms beeing in open world and accessable for other players. It would only base on NPC's what sux you would be alone in an instance with a farm.    I dont really see a way to implement those unless they make a whole diffrent zone - map dedicated to fields and houses. 

I would really like to see what others above mentioned is the lawman outlaw role to be developed to the playable state. I mentioned in other post today what is wrong with the bounty system in its current state and why is it not working.     I really hope this will be the main focus on next updates to come. 

I would also like to see an upgarade to trader role. I would klike to set my own shop and sell stuff in towns to other players like : Animal Fat, tonics, ammo. It can be set similar too MMORPG auction houses. 

Herb picking needs to be changed. They way it is now you dont need to pick herbs anymore. We just buy them from Madame Nazar. This is wrong. Tonisc and health potions should cost a lot more. Simple tonic should be 40 $ not 4... this way we could minimize the usage of those elixirs in PvP making it a bit more realistic. Herbs should be more expensive as well and not available to buy form NPC. This way there would be reason to gather those herbs again.

What is another thing i would love to see and stated it months before is Gold mining/panning role. There are a lot of mountains and streams in game. We should be able to set a small gold panning station like it was in Single Player mode and be able to make gold bars by farming gold. 

Honestly, I think there are a few places where a property could be set up, and towns can be built in. Where the problems crop up is when 24 people all want to log on and all with the same property.... I imagine they would have to run it similar to GTA with the apartments/property or only allow one player with that property to log on at the same time. Either way, it is workable.

as for the gold panning/mining, that would be A fun diversion. But with gold being the currency it is, and the only form of micro transaction Rockstar has, I wouldn’t expect it to pay much more than any other given activity.

For those who haven't read the article posted on 9/27 in this forum, I would suggest you do.  It offers more insight into the future of RDO like properties:

“We want to introduce properties at some point in the future,” Butchard admits. “Again, part of the reason is we don’t want to jump the shark too soon. We want players to live like an outlaw, live in the Wild West. We don’t want to abandon the camp. We want the camp to be something that you take care of, and we want the expansions to update it, and you get your own distinct feel. It’s your own camp, this is my camp, it’s their camp. We don’t want to leave that behind too quickly.”

Roles are also discussed at some length including the possibility of delving deeper into the dishonorable path (@James Hickok_1837):

“We want to scratch that itch for all different types of players,” Butchard explains. “There’s so many different types – those who like playing a villain, or those who want to play the hero. We’ve got to look at that as well, and try and conform to that, if we can, with new builds. Let’s just say that the idea of playing dishonorably may not necessarily be limited to activities related to Bounty Hunting. Right now in Frontier Pursuits we don’t have a role that focuses on a dishonorable path, but each role works with the players ability to manage their honor in Red Dead Online, and it’s something we want to keep building on – so the opportunity is there for future roles that let the player lean even further into their honorable and dishonorable side.”

Here's the article:

https://www.vg247.com/2019/09/27/red-dead-online-future-heists-villain-lawmen-business/

The fact of the matter is that there is much more to come and as Scott Butchard (R*) mentions in this interview:

........but none of this is set in stone, we’re still absorbing the feedback from players from these initial roles and we will see how we can improve upon these ideas as we go.

I can't stress enough how important your feedback is to this process.  Many changes have been made thus far as a direct result of community feedback which is why I may sound like a broken record but firmly believe the importance of people submitting their ideas, suggestions, etc. to R* here:

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadonline/feedback?redirect_lang=en_us

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 7:56 PM, Faelwolf said:

They could be similar to the entertainer class in SWG. Each time you visit a prostitute, (or she plys her trade) there is a chance for either party to get the pox, which makes you lose core health that won't be restored until you visit the doctor. The core loss continues to grow worse over time if you don't. But she provides a buff to core stamina (since there isn't a morale core) if you avoid the pox. The pox is guaranteed to be passed along to the other if either party has it at the time of the transaction.  The question really becomes how far can RS go with the visuals of the transaction before it goes above a simple "M" rating.....  :)

I mean... sexually transmitted disease is a reality, even today. I would imagine it would involve a lot of crotch scratching and burning when you take a wee LOL 

• 1 month later...

I still miss beeing able to sell horses, to be a horsetrader. A max amount of horses could be stored in the camp until delivery and then sold to stables. An easy mod for rockstar. Kind of expected this since that first horse-mission with those two lame stable-brothers but it seems like rockstar has forgotten