Abusive chat

Zampen

Getting pretty tired of dudes calling my mother this and that, telling me to do.... what the blip is wrong with people ?  If this is a sign of things to come then i am doubtful i Will play on,,,, dunno what i am trying to say, just sad and frustrated

Edited by Zampen

5 minutes ago, Zampen said:

Getting pretty tired of dudes calling my mother this and that, telling me to do.... what the blip is wrong with people ?  If this is a sign of things to come then i am doubtful i Will play on

I would urge you to use the in-game "report" feature.  There is one description that covers abusive / racist language. That (I believe) gets reported to Rockstar.

I would also encourage you to go to the player's profile (there is an in-game link) so you can block them.  .....that takes you to their profile within the PSN.  This will also stop any continued harassment outside of the game but if someone is dumb enough to message you using the PSN feature before you are able to block them, then report them to Sony right away.  They will see the message as proof of harassment, language, etc. and will take action.

Other than that, I would suggest muting everyone except those in your own posse if it's overwhelming.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Do what Kean_1 say's

i play solo and mute everyone, hope no one is offended by that but yep online can be a downer at times, you can really get a feel for people online or internet 

it's like the internet and online is the same as the saying of money ruin's a person, it doesn't ruin them it reveal's them,

Take it easy dude just mute em and don't let em ruin you're game

Most of the time when it is just banter or word attacks, I just give it back. If they aren't screwing me over in the game, I don't care much. I spend time on 9GAG and have used 4Chan before so things like this just don't phase me. Just mute, report, and move on brother.

• Like 1

Muting everyone is the first thing I do now when I get online.  Tired of internet tough guys screaming in my ear about how they'd 'kick your ass' IRL and so on.  A lot of it is 10 year olds who clearly aren't mature enough to play this game made for adults.  Albeit I've heard some immature adults do the same thing.  I don't even hook up the mic anymore unless I join a private chat party.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chocolatefinch said:

I just mute straight away and never use my headset online now anymore .  (not since someone said I sounded like a posh  Essex girl ...friggin cheek)

I'll assume that's a bad thing then haha!  I seldom bother with online at the best of times, I prefer me some 90's original story mode only.  Online never appeals to me, plus you quickly realize that the small portion of asshats make it seem like everyone's a douche.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chocolatefinch said:

I just mute straight away and never use my headset online now anymore .  (not since someone said I sounded like a posh  Essex girl ...friggin cheek)

Exactly this! - I am getting tired of people having public mic`s on... I almost INSTANYLY "mute all" on the server i am on. 

I did experience a fun thing though.. While hunting in Armadillo, a guy and proberly 3 others had a public chat about narcotics, and how weed would make the whole world better.. And in about 41 minutes of chatting, a guy gets Raid by cops.. you can hear the whole dialogue.. "POLICE.. GET DOWN.. -> what the fuuck.. DUUUUDE... GET DOWN" .. 

That i want more of... ! Not people chewing loudly, or mumbling kids.. its getting stressfull.. haha! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I mute and keep my mic off most of the time, unless I'm in a posse and want to coordinate. Although I'm rethinking this after someone joined, hopped on the back of my horse, and proceeded to ask me a million friendly questions while I was doing all the riding and stranger mission work.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Zampen said:

Getting pretty tired of dudes calling my mother this and that, telling me to do.... what the blip is wrong with people ?  If this is a sign of things to come then i am doubtful i Will play on,,,, dunno what i am trying to say, just sad and frustrated

I'm on PS4. That is exactly why I will not go into game chat for this or just about any other online game. I go into party chat even if it's just me playing by myself.

No reason to be in chat unless you are in a posse. I don't want to hear sqeakers screaming, Jabba the Hutt mouth breathers , your crappy choice of music , your feeble attempt at being a tough guy, the fact you know more than 4 curse words, etc. If I am not in a posse with my friends, I mute everything. It is sad it has come to this, but I started muting years ago when I was playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.  If the OP is looking for people to talk to/play with, I suggest using a forum like this or the many Discord channels that have RDRO players.  But this isn't a RDRO issue, online gaming has been like this for years. But you shouldn't let that deter you from enjoying a pretty good "beta".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Savage_Reaper said:

No reason to be in chat unless you are in a posse. I don't want to hear sqeakers screaming, Jabba the Hutt mouth breathers , your crappy choice of music , your feeble attempt at being a tough guy, the fact you know more than 4 curse words, etc. If I am not in a posse with my friends, I mute everything. It is sad it has come to this, but I started muting years ago when I was playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.  If the OP is looking for people to talk to/play with, I suggest using a forum like this or the many Discord channels that have RDRO players.  But this isn't a RDRO issue, online gaming has been like this for years. But you shouldn't let that deter you from enjoying a pretty good "beta".

This is very true, my first venture in online was racing cars on XB360 back in 2006 or so, once I spent 2 days online, I've barely ever played since.  I stuck to story modes.  Purely as I'm a casual gamer I quickly realized I'm hopeless head to head at just about anything with a real person, gimme my solo story mode on easy difficulty any day haha!

Thx guys. I wanna use mic to communicate that im friendly, hunting etc so dudes just dont kill me all the time but i guess ill mute from now on. Dont have a posse, lvl 185 lone rider getting bored fast now 😜🤪

Edited by Zampen

6 hours ago, McLawDiz said:

Exactly this! - I am getting tired of people having public mic`s on

Like Dewey Cox, I'm Guilty as Charged when it comes to this.  I leave an open mic on and just goof around when I have nothing better to do.  Especially if someone is just randomly yelling into their mic--that's when it gets fun.

You know, for the five or ten whole minutes I get to play before I get the "D/C'd from R*'s Servers" error message.

4 hours ago, Savage_Reaper said:

No reason to be in chat unless you are in a posse.

Don't censor me, you tyrant!

6 hours ago, Syrens said:

plus you quickly realize that the small portion of asshats make it seem like everyone's a douche.

Let's keep it above the belt--despite the fact that this is a "Rated M" game, we try to keep it PG around these parts.

Unless I'm talking about my rampant alcoholism.

7 hours ago, Jackthestripper said:

Tired of internet tough guys screaming in my ear about how they'd 'kick your ass' IRL

I always tell them I'm 6'4", and if they can kick that high, they're either world-class martial artists, or ballerinas.

5 hours ago, Vaderspupil said:

I go into party chat

I'm in there most of the time as well, but with people playing two or three different games.  It's cool being able to talk to multiple people you haven't seen since high school (over 20 years ago) and just shoot the breeze while everyone does their thing online.

Good times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Zampen said:

Just start a party. Problem solved. 

55 minutes ago, Zampen said:

Thx guys. I wanna use mic to communicate that im friendly, hunting etc so dudes just dont kill me all the time but i guess ill mute from now on. Dont have a posse, lvl 185 lone rider getting bored fast now 😜🤪

Sadly by you saying your "friendly" , you can cause wolves/trolls to flock to you. It can backfire on you. There are some chill people out there though. I always have the Companion App up watching other players movements/activity. I have had a player roll up before and kinda trail our posse cautiously. I finally asked him what did he want. He was just trying to posse up and I sent him an invite. Really cool dude. So it isn't always bad. 

9 hours ago, Jackthestripper said:

Tired of internet tough guys screaming in my ear about how they'd 'kick your ass' IRL and so on.  

A gent I have played PvP with had players say that to him.  He asked very respectfully, what they guys address was and stated that legally he had to inform everyone that he was an Army Ranger before he kicked their ass.  Everyone in public chat got deathly quiet and the game just stopped and no one moved.  He asked again for the guy's address.  The mouthy one and his friends all left after that.  No one saying a word.  After that no one made any threats after that.   I respected the guy a little more too.

53 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

He asked very respectfully, what they guys address was and stated that legally he had to inform everyone that he was an Army Ranger before he kicked their ass.

That phenomenon is actually a Hollywood trope as opposed to actual legal doctrine.

There is currently no article, subsection, or law on file with the United States Code of Federal Regulations which requires Army Rangers to identify themselves as having received special training before an engagement in either civilian or military activities.

Unless there is relevant case law (which I was unable to locate) specifically spelling out legal requirements for current or former military to self-identify and inform an opposing party in a dispute of specialized training, then it doesn't exist.

Simply put, it's movie magic, and a plot point from "Con Air":

Not doubting your story, @YodaMan 3D, but the person claiming such was full of hot air.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

He asked very respectfully, what they guys address was and stated that legally he had to inform everyone that he was an Army Ranger before he kicked their ass.

SOF (Special Operations Forces) personnel are not  required to identify themselves to anyone outside the military. However, getting into a physical altercation outside of the realm of acting in self-defense could potentially get that individual in UCMJ trouble, especially if law enforcement gets involved.

• Like 1

I had a dude that chased after me today. Apparently, I got in the way of his shot as I wasn't really paying attention to some random hanging out in a bush. I didn't mute him right away. He kept after me shouting crap. I was ready to report him but I wanted to make sure he said or did something worth reporting. He got pissed off cause I kept telling him to calm down and chill out, then my body came over and started laughing. He told us both to kill ourselves. He then proceeded to call my friend the N-word multiple times. Little did he know my buddy was recording. We reported the dude and he sent the footage to Rockstar. Toxic players like this do not deserve to be part of online communities. They should have their own server where they can only play with themselves and their friends, that is it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

That phenomenon is actually a Hollywood trope as opposed to actual legal doctrine.

There is currently no article, subsection, or law on file with the United States Code of Federal Regulations which requires Army Rangers to identify themselves as having received special training before an engagement in either civilian or military activities.

Unless there is relevant case law (which I was unable to locate) specifically spelling out legal requirements for current or former military to self-identify and inform an opposing party in a dispute of specialized training, then it doesn't exist.

Simply put, it's movie magic, and a plot point from "Con Air":

Not doubting your story, @YodaMan 3D, but the person claiming such was full of hot air.

I know he was in the military, whether or not he was a Army Ranger.  That incident was I think more bravado to push his point home and it worked.  No one questioned.   I was just shocked that he didn't seem to get reported for it.  Then again maybe he did and nothing really happened.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Vaderspupil said:

I'm on PS4. That is exactly why I will not go into game chat for this or just about any other online game. I go into party chat even if it's just me playing by myself.

Me too. The first thing I do is turn off in-game rubbish. If it isn't kids mouthing-off, it's stupid music playing, or someone heavy-breathing into the microphone.

Edited by Burratha

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:40 PM, Zampen said:

Learn to laugh or ignore it..or learn to control who you hear through your headset?  Its just sh*t talking.

Not trying to be a prick here.  But who cares what someone you have never met, never will meet says..?

I sometimes get people telling me they are going to kill me and my whole family.  Which when that happens, I almost die from laughing.   

Or my favorite.  Im gonna hack you!    

26 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Learn to laugh or ignore it..or learn to control who you hear through your headset?  Its just sh*t talking.

Not trying to be a prick here.  But who cares what someone you have never met, never will meet says..?

I sometimes get people telling me they are going to kill me and my whole family.  Which when that happens, I almost die from laughing.   

While I agree with your philosophy that abusive chat can be tolerated and can easily ignored, I disagree that any individual should have to tolerate abusive chat in a public space. Unfortunately, outside of reporting the abuse, I am not sure what anyone can do about except change servers or get over it.

Edited by The Coca-Cola Kid
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Coca-Cola Kid said:

While I agree with your philosophy that abusive chat can be tolerated and can easily ignored, I disagree that any individual should have to tolerate abusive chat in a public space. Unfortunately, outside of reporting the abuse, I am not sure what anyone can do about except change servers or get over it.

On xbox you can report them.  Whether or not any thing gets done.  Well that is up for debate.  I have known say that xbox has zero tolerance policy.  

1 hour ago, HuDawg said:

Learn to laugh or ignore it..or learn to control I sometimes get people telling me they are going to kill me and my whole family.  Which when that happens, I almost die from laughing. 

I do not

I also dont tolerate racism, the n word, comments on how my dead mother smells or my fathers genitalias etc.

I would never treat my fellow brothers and sisters that way regardless, anonomys or not.

Make love not war ❤ peace 

21 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

A gent I have played PvP with had players say that to him.  He asked very respectfully, what they guys address was and stated that legally he had to inform everyone that he was an Army Ranger before he kicked their ass.  Everyone in public chat got deathly quiet and the game just stopped and no one moved.  He asked again for the guy's address.  The mouthy one and his friends all left after that.  No one saying a word.  After that no one made any threats after that.   I respected the guy a little more too.

So he remembered his sergeant  telling him  that he had to identify himself before threatening strangers  with his military training, but forgot his sergeant telling him not to threaten strangers with his military training,,,,, um... 😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HuDawg said:

I may or may not have received a temporary ban from Xbox Live at one point for pointedly using a clever euphemism to describe a player that reflected a common cleaning implement deployed in ramshackle establishments known for their close-quarter video booths and privacy that were used for decidedly unsavory and non-family friendly activities. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I may or may not have received a temporary ban from Xbox Live at one point for pointedly using a clever euphemism to describe a player that reflected a common cleaning implement deployed in ramshackle establishments known for their close-quarter video booths and privacy that were used for decidedly unsavory and non-family friendly activities. 

I think, no wait, I'm pretty sure that is the longest  use of wording to describe a "J.M" ever. congrats! lol

• Thanks 1

I personally only go into game chat or say anything if it seems like someone is trying to get my attention or if on the rare occasion someone doesn't insta kill me and is working with me. Or to say thank you or I'm sorry. I met some cool people that way that I still run with even today. But I otherwise will selectively mute people or mute all depending on how I feel.

But I'm usually in a party chat to begin with. 

Also my favorite is when they realize I'm a woman they immediately start insulting me and say my lady bits are stretched out or some other assumption. Like, am I supposed to get mad when you start talking about something you've never seen? Or they will talk about my mother and then get confused when I add insults too (have a shitty relationship with her).

Edited by Renascent