Jump to content

Have You Bought Gold Yet?


KylesDad7
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just curious if anyone has bought gold from the store yet? If so how much?

I'm guilty. I've spent $45.00 so far. I hate using the in-game money for things. Feel like I'm going to need it at some point. So far I've used the gold mainly for a couple pamphlet purchases and to "bling" out my knife and Volcanic pistol. They're both all gold metal with ornamental engravings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No.

Despite the "special offer" I refuse to give them money for a beta. It's the principal of the matter.  It'd one thing if I was guaranteed that anything I spent my gold on would be retained, but if I decide to, say, delete my character, everything I paid for in gold is GONE.

That's a problem for me.  I'm not keen on renting digital clothing for my character.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never bought a Shark Card in GTAO and will likely never buy a Gold Bar in RDO.

Having said that, it's not due my disapproval of R*s MTX system.  It's quite the opposite view in fact as I realize that these systems are what drive the R* GaaS business model and help will deliver content in RDO over the coming years for all of us. 

I guess I just never felt the need for the shortcut in these games and in the case with GBs (where the only items locked behind them are essentially all cosmetic),  I doubt I'll want to spend cash for a fancy outfit, unique horse color, etc.

......but if that what floats others boats, I'm all for it and darn glad they do find value in such things because without them, we wouldn't have GTAO or RDO.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

It'd one thing if I was guaranteed that anything I spent my gold on would be retained, but if I decide to, say, delete my character, everything I paid for in gold is GONE.

That's a problem for me.  I'm not keen on renting digital clothing for my character.

That right there is definitely a problem and one I agree shouldn't be handled that way if that's the case.  GB purchases should be retained on the account.  It might be one thing if the items become locked again on a new lvl 0 character until a certain rank but even then that's not cool in my book. ....but we're talking about items that disappear for good?  Definitely no bueno...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

No.

Despite the "special offer" I refuse to give them money for a beta. It's the principal of the matter.  It'd one thing if I was guaranteed that anything I spent my gold on would be retained, but if I decide to, say, delete my character, everything I paid for in gold is GONE.

That's a problem for me.  I'm not keen on renting digital clothing for my character.

I bought about $20 of gold. I have a close friend who like you, heavily adheres to their principles in regards to Mtx in games and we talk about this often. These days the encroaching Mtx that huge companies push on players are borderline abusive. (For instance gun metals costing gold). Major developers think that players will just let this slide.. and they are probably right.. Theres a complacency with digital money and its already become the norm. 

The difference here is that R* has already given us a Real game. This isn't Fortnite or a multiplayer only half-a-game. I have never had so much respect for a developer purely based on game design alone. While I don't agree with pushing mtx or encouraging it, I don't blame R* for including the feature that pretty much every single game has these days. If you have the money it is your choice. I will go and spend my money on candy and beer and things I don't need at some point regardless. Did R* rip me off? Not at all. 

My friend shares the same philosophy as you and in their case money is really not the issue. So if the principles align, he will happily spend 3x the cost of the game itself. ($200 on a F2P title to be exact) But wont spend a dime towards Microsoft. So he is what I think of as the extreme of your case.

My point being, if the cost/money is not the issue, and mtx are basically inescapable these days, and you enjoy the game, then what does it matter? Are you going to start a boycott against R* and take them down? Did sticking to your principles literally afford you something or anything? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't purchased gold and don't really plan to. I have purchased a few things with gold but it was with the free gold Rockstar gave us.

I might be convinced to buy some gold if the game goes the way I feel it should in regards to griefing. I need to feel "we're in this together" before I would even consider doing that and the game is definitely not there yet.

I just hope Rockstar does it while that bargain gold offer is still available.

Clothes? Never. A weapon? Maybe. The only thing I've seen in the store that I definitely feel is worth purchasing is that fast travel from camp ability, especially with Cripps popping up in so many offbeat places. I'm getting a little saddle sore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Born Vigorous said:

My friend shares the same philosophy as you and in their case money is really not the issue. So if the principles align, he will happily spend 3x the cost of the game itself. ($200 on a F2P title to be exact) But wont spend a dime towards Microsoft. So he is what I think of as the extreme of your case.

Sounds like a very reasonable person (and fellow Marvel Heroes refugee... I'm not proud of what I dumped into that game).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I bought some gold, a couple times. I don't have a problem considering the amount of value I have managed to extract from the original 50 squid payed for the game.

We're already paying extra to play Online through PSN/XB subscription so it seems a bit quibbly, at least with the Gold I can give myself a day off from huntin an lootin and still look fabulous in a new hat...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought the special offer and 1 time the max gold bar for 100 Euros. I get all the non- spenders thoughts and ideologies, but basically i can justify the spending to myself as both singleplayer and online have given me 250 hours of gameplay until now. Spent it mainly on camp things (different looks / fast travel and Cripps, the black arabian, and some clothing options and 2 pamphlets. I am not really too bothered by the whole MTX in RDO as for now it is mainly cosmetics and spending does not really give you an edge compared to other players.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, KylesDad7 said:

Just curious if anyone has bought gold from the store yet? If so how much?

I'm guilty. I've spent $45.00 so far. I hate using the in-game money for things. Feel like I'm going to need it at some point. So far I've used the gold mainly for a couple pamphlet purchases and to "bling" out my knife and Volcanic pistol. They're both all gold metal with ornamental engravings. 

I buckled and bought enough gold to add to what they gave us to purchase the fast travel from camp.  Normally I wouldn't, but it was a help for me and my posse to avoid tools.  I don't regret it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, redscrew said:

I won't buy anything until the game is out of beta testing. I have purchased things before for games while they are still in beta and got ripped off. Never again!

Does anybody have any idea when it'll come out of beta????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The silver turkoman was too tempting to pass up when I reached the rank. I was 15 short so I got the $20 deal after that offer and bought a new outfit with the extra. I haven't bought any since. But like someone else said, to be fair the game has given me tons of playtime and I've made a lot of friends so I don't mind giving some dollars here and there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Force58 said:

Does anybody have any idea when it'll come out of beta????

The only thing we know is that the next title update will release in the "coming months".  No idea on when the beta will actually end so as Fretter mentioned, expect it to be months ahead.  .....in other words, no established date as of yet.

I'll wager it goes on into summer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

The only thing we know is that the next title update will release in the "coming months".  No idea on when the beta will actually end so as Fretter mentioned, expect it to be months ahead.  .....in other words, no established date as of yet.

I'll wager it goes on into summer. 

Yup and that update alone is a bit worrying. Hope they add on more features in the update that they aren't mentioning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Born Homicidal said:

Yup and that update alone is a bit worrying. Hope they add on more features in the update that they aren't mentioning

So far they've only specified those things to expect in the next TU. However, I would expect many more things to come but as to when, no one knows.  The only thing they detailed before that's missing in the last status update was the blips of griefers that will turn darker the more they kill and the range of their detection will increase.  .....but then they also said that would be coming after the proximity blips are implemented.

Quote

More to Come

Our teams are currently working on lots of fixes, changes and improvements to the game based on player feedback including the quality of life improvements that we detailed in our last status update: Proximity-Based Player Blips, Parley Changes with quicker access to Feuding, Law and Bounty Improvements to discourage griefing while introducing a new Freeroam dynamic between bounty hunters and criminal rogues, plus Daily Challenges with gold nugget rewards and more. We are currently planning to have these and other improvements to the game included in a Title Update scheduled for release in the coming months – we’ll provide more information as we get closer to the date.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ShotgunForHire said:

I bought a lot of gold because I ****ing love this game and I have a job. The Old West embodies the true North American spirit.

Yup! R* did not disappoint. Its impossible for optional MtX to literally change the game that already exists. Yes they gatekeep some features but it does not change the core gameplay and the fun of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2019 at 5:17 PM, KylesDad7 said:

Just curious if anyone has bought gold from the store yet? If so how much?

I'm guilty. I've spent $45.00 so far. I hate using the in-game money for things. Feel like I'm going to need it at some point. So far I've used the gold mainly for a couple pamphlet purchases and to "bling" out my knife and Volcanic pistol. They're both all gold metal with ornamental engravings. 

Thanks guys/gals for the update on when the beta title will be removed.

Re gold, I got a notice last night saying I got 5 gold bars for playing during whatever period that was.  Does it go into my gold queue automatically or do I have to pick it up somewhere?  Also, just to clarify, does the "gold" show up on the screen in the upper right corner next to the "dollars" amount?  Right now it says I have 14 gold, gold what, bars, coins, etc.?

One last question, when I was playing last night I came across a small cabin with an NPC in it.  He gave me an assassination mission where I had to kill a human.  I checked the map and he was all the across the map.  I tried to get there but could not.  Why is Rockstar promoting griefing with all this mess about griefing going on???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Force58 said:

Thanks guys/gals for the update on when the beta title will be removed.

Re gold, I got a notice last night saying I got 5 gold bars for playing during whatever period that was.  Does it go into my gold queue automatically or do I have to pick it up somewhere?  Also, just to clarify, does the "gold" show up on the screen in the upper right corner next to the "dollars" amount?  Right now it says I have 14 gold, gold what, bars, coins, etc.?

One last question, when I was playing last night I came across a small cabin with an NPC in it.  He gave me an assassination mission where I had to kill a human.  I checked the map and he was all the across the map.  I tried to get there but could not.  Why is Rockstar promoting griefing with all this mess about griefing going on???

I don't really see it as griefing. Now it would be if the person kept killing even after finishing the mission. I mean all missions invite other players to mess with it, it gives anyone nearby a notification about it and what they have to do to take it. Would that be griefing as well? It's not griefing if it's a core mechanic of the game.

As for your question about gold, it's gold bars and it shows up next your cash automatically.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Force58 said:

Thanks guys/gals for the update on when the beta title will be removed.

Re gold, I got a notice last night saying I got 5 gold bars for playing during whatever period that was.  Does it go into my gold queue automatically or do I have to pick it up somewhere?  Also, just to clarify, does the "gold" show up on the screen in the upper right corner next to the "dollars" amount?  Right now it says I have 14 gold, gold what, bars, coins, etc.?

One last question, when I was playing last night I came across a small cabin with an NPC in it.  He gave me an assassination mission where I had to kill a human.  I checked the map and he was all the across the map.  I tried to get there but could not.  Why is Rockstar promoting griefing with all this mess about griefing going on???

It shows the gold in goldbars and the numbers behind are the nuggets (cents if you will).

This is a perfect example about the widely used term "griefing" and hence many discussions that are on this and many other forums by a lot of people. A player assassination mission is not by any means griefing. It is a game element intended by Rockstar to have a hunt and shootout. It gives fair warning to the hunted and you can easily survive this 90% of the time. The issue lies after the mission and the emotions of players to keep engaging for revenge. Yet this is also in the game and has limits (parley and worst case switching servers). 

To some griefing would be considered riding past a player without shooting and then boom your dead by a headshot. I do not consider this griefing, it's just a weak move. To me griefing is more related to getting killed without a single chance to fight back, getting out of cutscenes or animations etcetera. Also being hunted by a group of players over and over after making it obvious by actions or chat that enough is enough or constant verbal abuse along with it. Most of the above issues would disappear with the auto aim removed for everyone and some tweaks by Rockstar (like not losing your loot when you or your horse get killed).

In short : Griefing is defined differently by everyone and therefore diffcult to balance. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Renascent said:

The silver turkoman was too tempting to pass up when I reached the rank. I was 15 short so I got the $20 deal after that offer and bought a new outfit with the extra. I haven't bought any since. But like someone else said, to be fair the game has given me tons of playtime and I've made a lot of friends so I don't mind giving some dollars here and there.

I hear you. That is my main horse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Euphoric77 said:

In short : Griefing is defined differently by everyone and therefore diffcult to balance. 

100% agree.  Although I think we can all agree that shooting someone in the back of the head after they exit a cutscene before they can defend themselves is universally understood to be griefing.

5 minutes ago, Euphoric77 said:

To me griefing is more related to getting killed without a single chance to fight back, getting out of cutscenes or animations etcetera. Also being hunted by a group of players over and over after making it obvious by actions or chat that enough is enough or constant verbal abuse along with it. Most of the above issues would disappear with the auto aim removed for everyone and some tweaks by Rockstar (like not losing your loot when you or your horse get killed).

Nailed it.

I still think a self-toggle for PvP/PvE status with a cool down timer once out of combat is the simplest way to mitigate these specific grieifing issues.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

100% agree.  Although I think we can all agree that shooting someone in the back of the head after they exit a cutscene before they can defend themselves is universally understood to be griefing.

Nailed it.

I still think a self-toggle for PvP/PvE status with a cool down timer once out of combat is the simplest way to mitigate these specific grieifing issues.

That is definitely one of the best solutions suggested so far. I'd want them to add a 30 second delay to go into it as well, to  stop people from shooting and hiding so to speak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Force58 said:

Thanks guys/gals for the update on when the beta title will be removed.

Re gold, I got a notice last night saying I got 5 gold bars for playing during whatever period that was.  Does it go into my gold queue automatically or do I have to pick it up somewhere?  Also, just to clarify, does the "gold" show up on the screen in the upper right corner next to the "dollars" amount?  Right now it says I have 14 gold, gold what, bars, coins, etc.?

One last question, when I was playing last night I came across a small cabin with an NPC in it.  He gave me an assassination mission where I had to kill a human.  I checked the map and he was all the across the map.  I tried to get there but could not.  Why is Rockstar promoting griefing with all this mess about griefing going on???

I agree with the others. It may not be an aspect of the game someone likes but it's not "griefing" and certainly not what R* is talking about when they say they want to take action to help mitigate the issue.  As others described, it's more about the unprovoked, unscripted, indiscriminate killing of others especially in those moments when they are most vulnerable, etc.  

Personally, I don't like accepting assassination missions but I accidentally did last night and as it turns out, the target was just a hundred yards away.  I also recognized him as someone I blocked earlier in the session (although I forgot why) so I decided to go ahead and do it.  Turns out him and his friend never ran and were engaged with NPCs. We swooped in, I took two shots with my lever action shotgun, killed them both and promptly rode off.  

They never came looking for revenge and as soon as the mission was over I gave them space by riding away. 

I've had several of these missions against me and to be honest, I simply found them boring as I've never had a problem keeping threats at a distance.  It's quick and easy XP and cash though.  Last night one even logged off when he realized he would never catch up to us.

btw, if you don't enjoy an aspect of the game like these assassination missions being forced on players, I would urge you to submit your feedback to R*:

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/online/feedback?step=f2e50892

Perhaps at some point they will have a switch like Creed talks about where those who want to be involved in PvP activities will be the only ones who get those kinds of missions.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/31/2019 at 12:21 PM, Kean_1 said:

I agree with the others. It may not be an aspect of the game someone likes but it's not "griefing" and certainly not what R* is talking about when they say they want to take action to help mitigate the issue.  As others described, it's more about the unprovoked, unscripted, indiscriminate killing of others especially in those moments when they are most vulnerable, etc.  

Personally, I don't like accepting assassination missions but I accidentally did last night and as it turns out, the target was just a hundred yards away.  I also recognized him as someone I blocked earlier in the session (although I forgot why) so I decided to go ahead and do it.  Turns out him and his friend never ran and were engaged with NPCs. We swooped in, I took two shots with my lever action shotgun, killed them both and promptly rode off.  

They never came looking for revenge and as soon as the mission was over I gave them space by riding away. 

I've had several of these missions against me and to be honest, I simply found them boring as I've never had a problem keeping threats at a distance.  It's quick and easy XP and cash though.  Last night one even logged off when he realized he would never catch up to us.

btw, if you don't enjoy an aspect of the game like these assassination missions being forced on players, I would urge you to submit your feedback to R*:

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/online/feedback?step=f2e50892

Perhaps at some point they will have a switch like Creed talks about where those who want to be involved in PvP activities will be the only ones who get those kinds of missions.

 

Thanks for the feedback Kean.  lt's not so much that I don't enjoy that part of the game.  I found it interesting that assassination missions like that were incorporated into Online.  I couldn't complete the one I had as by the time I left the house and checked the map the target was so far off I wouldn't have been able to catch him/her.  Those I don't mind at all, especially if the intended target is notified somehow that they're being hunted.

What I have a problem with is what pretty much everyone else is talking about, the indiscriminate killing of another human that's minding their own business, hunting, fishing, whatever.  I played for a few hours the night before last and I can't tell you the number of times I was shot/killed by a random.  90 percent of those killings occurred without me seeing them first.  Some will say I should have been more aware.  But hell, I've had instances where I've been on the trail of an animal I'd shot and a random will sneak up behind me and shoot me in the back, then laugh about it while I'm laying there.  I don't see the fun in that for them honestly, especially when there are PvP related game modes built into online outside of free roam.

I'll log in occasionally to see what changes have come, but I'm waiting until the final release of online comes out to put serious hours into it.  Sad too because I heard that will be months out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...