UPDATE: 2/26/19

Kean_1

RED DEAD ONLINE BETA UPDATENEW FEATURES AND MORE COMING FEBRUARY 26

daf675f2821207eaa98b9944751d2fbe153bff3f

The next set of updates and new features is set to be added to the Red Dead Online Beta on February 26th as we implement many new improvements and enhancements to the game’s open world, including a new Law and Bounty system, weapons balancing, changes to player blips on the mini-map and more. Read on for details about these changes and stay tuned next week to learn more about some of the other new content coming in this update.

Player Visibility
As part of our response to community feedback on how to minimize certain types of destructive player behavior, we’ve made some changes to the way player blips will appear on the map.

Firstly, we’re reducing the visibility of blips over long distances – your map position won’t display to other players unless you are nearby (within 150 meters) and if you are slightly further away you will only appear when firing your weapon.  Players in other towns or regions, for example, won’t be visible. This prevents players from being repeatedly targeted across the map at long distances.

We’re also introducing a new system that highlights overly aggressive players. If your style of play becomes more hostile, your map position (and the position of your Posse members) will become more visible to other players with a progressively darkening dot that incrementally shifts from blue to dark red. Your visibility increases through bad deeds such as attacking and killing other players or their horses outside of a structured mode, Free Roam Mission, event or competition, and the shorter the time between bad acts, the more your visibility increases. Shift back to a more righteous path and your visibility will fade over time.

We’re also introducing Posse-wide Parleys and improving Feuds. You’ll soon be able to initiate Parley that applies to your attacker’s entire Posse after just a single kill. Alternatively, if you’d rather challenge your opponent, you can initiate a Feud, Posse Feud or Leader Feud after one kill, quickly turning a dispute into a timed mini-deathmatch for rival players to fight out amongst themselves in Free Roam, earning points for each kill on the opposing player.  

Bounty Hunters & Law Balancing
At the same time, players who have racked up high bounties will have a chance to be beset by NPC Bounty Hunters who will attempt to kill them and collect their reward.

Criminal behavior will have bounty values and honor consequences that scale based on the severity of the crime. For example, killing another player can incur a higher bounty, while assaulting townsfolk or animal cruelty could give you a lesser bounty if the crime is reported, while lower level crimes like looting and ransacking will only decrease your honor.

If your bounty exceeds a certain threshold and Bounty Hunters take notice, you will be wanted dead and alerted to their pursuit. The higher your bounty, the greater your value and the more difficult the pursuit becomes for you and your Posse.

Daily Challenges
We will also be adding a variety of Daily Challenges to take on across the Red Dead Online Beta. Complete individual objectives that cover every aspect of life on the frontier to earn Gold Nuggets and XP. Challenges will range from foraging for herbs, selling items at a Fence, hunting and skinning animals, clearing hideouts, winning Feuds and so much more. These Daily Challenges will continue to expand and evolve over time bringing specialty challenges and rewards, streak bonuses and more.

Other Fixes and More
Your feedback has been invaluable so please keep it coming. In addition to these updates we are planning to address several additional changes based on community feedback received thus far - select weapons will be re-balanced including the Varmint Rifle, which will have its accuracy brought more in line with other longarm weapons; voice chat will be reduced to work at closer proximity, and while fixes to horse cargo are numerous and ongoing we plan to introduce some improvements to making pelts and carcasses more persistent after death or respawning.

We will have more details on additional content in the February 26th update next week. We are excited about the future of Red Dead Online and look forward to sharing lots more in the weeks and months ahead.

Meanwhile, there are chances to earn more XP to rank up ahead of February 26th. Playing in a Posse will bring benefits like earning increased XP in Free Roam Missions and Free Roam Events. Posse up this week to earn twice as much increased XP on these activities, and next week earn 20% more XP across all activities in the Red Dead Online Beta.

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60840/Red-Dead-Online-Beta-Update?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=rdobeta-update-02122019&utm_content=newswire

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Just now, Snipe said:

/thumbs up, this matches my wish list at this stage, so far.

Along with, hopefully, connection and stability fixes across the board.

Yeah, hopefully the details they will release next week will outline exactly what fixes they are looking to implement.  

While I don;t have connections issues (they are rare for me), I do hope they get addressed.  ....but a big one for me are the side missions not engaging consistently.

• Thanks 1

Kind of meh.. This is what the hinted at a while ago.  Should not take this long to add such minor changes to the game.  Game needs an injection of content they are holding back for the sake of drip feeding.  With free aim and and private lobbies.  

NPC bounty hunters?   Why?    

Killing other players gets you a bounty?   Ok then everyone will just keep killing myself over and over again after they kill players to avoid NPC Bounty Hunters.

Infact I can already see friends killing each other.. Just to get bounties and then just kill the NPCs that come for it.

Bounties should be put on players, by other players.... and paid to players who get the bounty.

R* really needs to get their sh*t together.. Or this game won't matter anymore once they get out of beta.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HuDawg said:

Kind of meh.. This is what the hinted at a while ago.  Should not take this long to add such minor changes to the game.  Game needs an injection of content they are holding back for the sake of drip feeding.  With free aim and and private lobbies.  

Killing other players gets you a bounty?   Ok then everyone will just keep killing myself over and over again after they kill players to avoid NPC Bounty Hunters.

Infact I can already see friends killing each other.. Just to get bounties and then just kill the NPCs that come for it.

Bounties should be put on players, by other players.... and paid to players who get the bounty.

R* really needs to get their sh*t together.. Or this game won't matter anymore once they get out of beta.

Exactly. Seems stupid. I need to be selling the stuff R* is smoking. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Because you can't trust players to have decent trigger discipline.  

Think about all the opportunities to grief if players can be in the posse hunting down wanted players; You get a bounty, so you hide in Valentine or Saint Denis, and now, other players are inadvertantly shooting innocents and running amok trying to apprehend you.  At what point are their actions no longer justified?

Or, R* is being lazy, and couldn't figure out how to have NPC's not react to you shooting/killing/apprehending someone with a "wanted level" in the online component without getting a Wanted level yourself, so they just left it out altogether.

I'm guessing it's more the latter than the former.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Because you can't trust players to have decent trigger discipline.  

Think about all the opportunities to grief if players can be in the posse hunting down wanted players; You get a bounty, so you hide in Valentine or Saint Denis, and now, other players are inadvertantly shooting innocents and running amok trying to apprehend you.  At what point are their actions no longer justified?

Or, R* is being lazy, and couldn't figure out how to have NPC's not react to you shooting/killing/apprehending someone with a "wanted level" in the online component without getting a Wanted level yourself, so they just left it out altogether.

I'm guessing it's more the latter than the former.

I mean.. 

if decided to go full on evil.  Ain't nothing stopping me from killing players at the butcher or while hunting.

R* could spawn a million NPCS after I killed the guy.. I could just leave while belting out a Dr Evil Laugh.

On top of that.. If you are hunting and someone keeps trying to kill you and you keep killing them instead.  Now it seems like the player who defends themselves are royally screwed.

Because most of the players who do attack me for no reason.. Tend to keep coming back for more even if they never kill me once. 

And that's basically it for me.. If I get punished for defending myself.  Im with done RDO.  And il just stick with single player.

Edited by HuDawg

I see a lot of assumptions as to how exactly these mechanics will work.  I don't know either and I'm unsure how some of them will play out myself (e.g. proximity blips) but I'm willing to wait and see how it all shakes out on 2/26 first before succumbing to Chicken Little syndrome.

One thing that will be a welcome change for some folks is the parley change.  After the update you'll be able to parley after the first kill which makes more sense to me.  If someone doesn't want to engage they shouldn't have to wait several times to be killed before having that option.  Also, the parley will apply to all members of the offender's posse. 

Personally, I'm looking forward to a lot of these changes and there will be more details from R* next week as to what we can expect.

Well I, for one, am quite exited about all of that.

They aren't going to solve everything all at once, but that looks like some steps in the right direction.

I think I'll wait and see how well it's implemented before getting angry that it might not be implemented to my satisfaction.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

I think the part that excites me the most is that they are working on potentially not losing the pelts and carcasses you have stored on your horse when you die or at the very least, reducing the circumstances.

Yeah, that is another bit of good news too.

I am naturally pessimistic but I truly think this is a step in the right direction.

It should mean those that want to hunt will be able to do so in peace and I believe this will cut down on the griefing.

It's small steps but steps nonetheless and seemingly in the right direction.

My only concern is the extra XP and additional challenges for being in a Posse. I appreciate that it maybe what R☆ would like but there are plenty that just want to roam and hunt alone and shouldn't be penalised for wanting to do so.

In all, I look forward to the 26th but hope that future updates focus more on individual players also.

1 minute ago, Kean_1 said:

Yeah, that is another bit of good news too.

That is by far and away the biggest frustration when it comes to griefers. When my horse is empty, kill me all you want, I just pop right back in. But if you cause me to lose a perfect buck carcass or worse, a perfect cougar/panther and a couple of spoonbills, I'm going to be super pissed and will come at you with fire and fury to make you pay dearly for my loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kean_1 said:

Oh man, it's like Christmas in July. except in February.....

38 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

I mean.. 

if decided to go full on evil.  Ain't nothing stopping me from killing players at the butcher or while hunting.

R* could spawn a million NPCS after I killed the guy.. I could just leave while belting out a Dr Evil Laugh.

On top of that.. If you are hunting and someone keeps trying to kill you and you keep killing them instead.  Now it seems like the player who defends themselves are royally screwed.

Because most of the players who do attack me for no reason.. Tend to keep coming back for more even if they never kill me once. 

A lot of good stuff here, shows R* is listening to us. I see a few responses that aren't happy with this update. Keep in mind these are things that can/will be tweaked to get the game to where it needs to be.  Also, their descriptions  give us an idea of how these things will work, but they are in no way an exact description.  Theses adjustments can be carried out in a number of ways. They could, for example make defensive attacks exempt from bad honor adjustments. They could also give good honor points for killing the people with dark blips.  At the very least ,if the game spawns a ton of NPCS to hunt players down at least they will be occupied with that instead of other players. Getting killed by bounty hunters could maybe wipe your satchel inventory, who knows? It's all open ended right now. Just got to wait , keep submitting our concerns to R* and hope for the best.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Captmarsh said:

My only concern is the extra XP and additional challenges for being in a Posse. I appreciate that it maybe what R☆ would like but there are plenty that just want to roam and hunt alone and shouldn't be penalised for wanting to do so.

You won't be penalized for playing by yourself...you just won't be rewarded for it. You'll lose nothing. 

There are already incentives in the game to play with a Posse...I think they're just adding more benefits for people who choose and can play with others. 

• Like 1

i hate some of these.

parlay after one kill? weak. not losing your horse stuff? weak.

how am i going to anti grief if someone kills me, i kill them and then they parlay with me?  what? just follow them around forever watching them kill a bunch of other people while i sit on my horse till i finally get the chance to kill them one time again??

one of the most thrilling parts of hunting is coming into town knowing you could lose a bunch of your work so you gotta roll in smart or strong.

OMG DONT SNOWFLAKE THE GAME!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steven Kreg said:

i hate some of these.

parlay after one kill? weak. not losing your horse stuff? weak.

how am i going to anti grief if someone kills me, i kill them and then they parlay with me?  what? just follow them around forever watching them kill a bunch of other people while i sit on my horse till i finally get the chance to kill them one time again??

one of the most thrilling parts of hunting is coming into town knowing you could lose a bunch of your work so you gotta roll in smart or strong.

OMG DONT SNOWFLAKE THE GAME!!

Guess you missed this part:

Alternatively, if you’d rather challenge your opponent, you can initiate a Feud, Posse Feud or Leader Feud after one kill, quickly turning a dispute into a timed mini-deathmatch for rival players to fight out amongst themselves in Free Roam, earning points for each kill on the opposing player. 

.....again, let's see how exactly the mechanics work when the update hits. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Steven Kreg said:

not losing your horse stuff? weak.

It doesn't make any sense to lose your pelts after you die, if the  horse is still there, so should the pelts. Going be that logic we should lose the contents of our satchel after each death as well. 

If they kill you and you kill them back, the  deed is done, you're even. The only time I think it was warranted to kill someone multiple times  is if you lost a bunch of pelts because they killed you. R* is addressing that, so no need to waste time killing someone over and over. 

8 minutes ago, Steven Kreg said:

I get what you're saying here, but the problem is rolling in strong and smart doesn't stop a posse from auto aiming you to death. If kills required skill in this game I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

well obviously i dont have a choice but to give it a try.

yea, i came from a super pvp game where it had serious concequences when you die. you would lose everything you had on you other than what you had equipped and you could also burn your enemies entire kingdoms (that might have stood for years or taken months to build) down.

i just think yea, if you die your stuff should be in a grave that you have to recover, and if you get killed the attackers should have an opportunity to steal your horse stuff.

i dont think killing someone back one time is good enough if they cause a huge problem for me and to them they are totally prepared for it... in fact, i think the whole dying part of this game is weak, almost no penalty but a minute. the only time dying is really an issue is when you do have your pelts (changing) and when the stupid town police kill you (cause it costs money).

oh well, thats just my style, a more severe... death matters a ton game. still love rdr even though it will never be that.

And madfretter i TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS THO.... the problem is rolling in strong and smart doesn't stop a posse from auto aiming you to death. If kills required skill in this game I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

see you in the west!

4 minutes ago, Steven Kreg said:

i just think yea, if you die your stuff should be in a grave that you have to recover, and if you get killed the attackers should have an opportunity to steal your horse stuff.

I'd be ok with that because then we'd have an option to kill them while they were looting our dead body and get their stuff. One of the FEW things that Ark survival evolved did right  was how they handled player/mount deaths. If you died your body was lootable by anyone, but only you would see a light beacon to help you locate it  faster than them.  Whether your mount was killed or not, all your stuff stayed on it, but was only lootable by others if the animal was dead.  If this was used in RDR2 it would for people to kill your horse to loot it and get the penalty that goes along with it. Ark also allowed you to store things in your home, which is something that I hope RDR2 allows us to do in the future.

well obviously i dont have a choice but to give it a try.

Just saying that perhaps we should see exactly how these mechanics work first.  

yea, i came from a super pvp game where it had serious concequences when you die. you would lose everything you had on you other than what you had equipped and you could also burn your enemies entire kingdoms (that might have stood for years or taken months to build) down.

.....and there's the rub.  The consequences were completely one sided with the victim having everything to lose while there were no penalties for the griefer. .....hardly fair.  Now players will have the opportunity to stop the trolls after the first kill or engage with them in a feud if they care to continue the aggression.   

i dont think killing someone back one time is good enough if they cause a huge problem for me and to them they are totally prepared for it... in fact, i think the whole dying part of this game is weak, almost no penalty but a minute. the only time dying is really an issue is when you do have your pelts (changing) and when the stupid town police kill you (cause it costs money).

As I mentioned, I think you missed the part about the victim having the option of being able to initiate a feud with the aggressor after the first kill.  ....not just parley.  

For the record, I would personally prefer that we should not lose pelts after log out or crash, but we SHOULD lose them if we die to a player. I think keeping our cash and satchel contents, but losing what is on the horse, adds enough risk and flavor without being punitive. (Unless people are being lazy and not making runs into the butcher of a sparsely populated town, once and again).

Also, I don’t like the idea of parley after ONE fight. I would prefer it if it was 2 kills. That’s enough to anti-grief, without the same punishment people feel after 3. (Although, frankly, I don’t mind the 3 we have today).

The BIG positives:

All-posse Parley (the way it is today is just broken and exploitable). 

Fixing logout/crash loss of horse contents.

Blip size changes and bounty indicators (especially if they follow a serial killer from server to server after logout). 

Making the Varmint rifle something less important than it is for PvP.

Edited by Snipe

1 hour ago, Snipe said:

Also, I don’t like the idea of parley after ONE fight. I would prefer it if it was 2 kills. That’s enough to anti-grief, without the same punishment people feel after 3. (Although, frankly, I don’t mind the 3 we have today).

Unless someone is a griefer, I really don't see a downside.  .....and as a victim, you don't have to use the parley function.  If you're griefed and want to get back at your attacker you will now have the option to push them into feud and get XP to boot.  .....a mini deathmatch of sorts.  The other guy won't be able to parley while in a feud.  ....or don't choose any option and simply go after your attacker, try to escape, etc. 

I would think PvPers interested in fair play would be fine with that.  .....trolls, not so much.

What's not fair is subjecting unwilling victims to multiple deaths before giving them a chance to stop the onslaught.  One death is plenty IMO.   I for one am glad R* is taking these steps to help mitigate the griefing issue.

Rockstar Games has outlined what players can expect from this month's Red Dead Online Beta update, coming on the 26th of February.

While many of these features have been hinted at before, and are based on community feedback from the beta, it's nice to see a clear idea of what to expect.

One of the main changes aims to combat griefing, which the current Parley & Feud system simply isn't well enough suited to curb. Player blips on the map will be proximity based. You will only see the locations of other players on the map if they are within 150 meters of your character and, at slightly longer distances, blips will only appear when the character fires their weapon. At even greater distances the blips will be entirely invisible.

Red-Dead-Online-Showdown-Modes-800x450.j

This prevents aggressors from hunting a player across long distances by tracking them via the map. If you put enough distance between yourself and the griefer, they won't be able to find you. Rockstar also designed a way to warn players about potential griefers. Committing acts like killing players or mounts outside of modes or missions will increase the detection radius of your blip and change its color. The worse your behavior, the greater the distance at which others will see you - but you won't see them. The blip will also change color to red to indicate a violent player.

The somewhat lacking Parley & Feud system is also getting an overhaul, with Posse Parleys, Posse Feuds and Leader Feuds being added as possible conflict resolution options for players to explore in case they get killed outside of PvP modes or missions. Rockstar is hoping that the introduction of the new blip system together with the upgrade of the previous system should minimalize griefing in Red Dead Online.

Committing crimes will also incur bounties that, once reaching a high enough amount, will result in NPC bounty hunters spawning and attacking you. Smaller crimes may only decrease your honor, while more severe crimes will add various amounts to the price on your head. The higher the bounty, the more powerful the NPCs that will be sent after you.

Red-Dead-Online-Posse-800x533.jpg

Daily challenges are also coming to the game, giving players additional ways to earn XP and gold nuggets. The range of challenges available will be broad and will cover just about every aspect of gameplay, meaning everyone will find challenges to their liking and can practice all aspects of the game by completing them. As the content available in Red Dead Online expands, so will the variety of challenges, and bonuses can be earned by completing streaks.

Further bug fixes and rebalancing is also planned with the Varmint Rifle being named specifically as having its accuracy tweaked. Players can also earn additional XP this week and next week by joining Posses.

The February 26th Update will also bring new content to Red Dead Online, so keep an eye out for news about that!

The post New Red Dead Online Features Coming February 26 appeared first on RDR2.org.

Read the full story

Those player blips would have been useful last night. Cuz I had a posse of 180+ come from Annesburg to strawberry where myself and a few friends were, just to grief us (we range from rank 45 to 120). I'm assuming it's just because we were the only high ranks in the session. Seems to be happening a lot lately. Which is a good and bad thing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

Player Visibility
As part of our response to community feedback on how to minimize certain types of destructive player behavior, we’ve made some changes to the way player blips will appear on the map.

Firstly, we’re reducing the visibility of blips over long distances – your map position won’t display to other players unless you are nearby (within 150 meters) and if you are slightly further away you will only appear when firing your weapon.  Players in other towns or regions, for example, won’t be visible. This prevents players from being repeatedly targeted across the map at long distances.

choosing isolated areas to hunt will not be possible anymore...😒

• Like 1

• Kean_1 changed the title to UPDATE: 2/26/19
  • Kean_1 unpinned this topic