Why do you grief?

HooverRAD

I've noticed there's a lot of people posting about how to stop griefing, so I thought I'd go to the source, and try to establish why people grief. 

There'll be no judgement from me here, all I ask is that if you reply, try to be as honest as possible as to why. 

Cheers. 

Edited by HooverRAD
Messed up a little
  • Like 1

I dunno.....  Why do you whine about it you little ******!!!!!  Go play the campaign if you can't handle it!!!!  It's a PvP game, what did you expect!!!!  I do it because it's fun!!!!!  .....blah, blah, blah.

(Just playing the devil's advocate.  I hate griefers too and figured these would be their typical responses.  ;) )

• Haha 3

On 12/14/2018 at 11:02 PM, Kean_1 said:

I dunno.....  Why do you whine about it you little ******!!!!!  Go play the campaign if you can't handle it!!!!  It's a PvP game, what did you expect!!!!  I do it because it's fun!!!!!  .....blah, blah, blah. (Just playing the devil's advocate.  I hate griefers too and figured these would be their typical responses.  ;) )

Last night on YouTube I saw a comment from  a guy sick of being attacked by griefers ..... the first reply was  "Awwww, who hurt you? It's just a game!!!!!' Now that is a griefer comment.

There is it appears a certain level of deeply confused machismo attached to griefing, it is  little boys wishing to  be men . This why all the cat calling straight from the play ground... they think they are genuinely tough.  They think this is how men act.... grown men do not act like that boys

It reminds me something an acquaintance  told me,  he was an instructor for the new entry  British Army Para Troopers "They haven't been let out for 3 months , they have just got their wings and are let out...... So they go down the local town and the local boys beat the crap out of them... These young para's mistake being fit the for the first time in their life, with being tough"

Just because you have a digital gun in your hand does not mean you should inflict your presence onto someone else ... other people are NOT there to entertain you, infant.

So be good little boys and keep to yourself or only attack people like yourself... you know, idiots

• Like 5

When I played online I asked griefers why they were constantly killing me. I got the usual responses , those mentioned above. When I politely I asked one of them why s/he was doing it his response was 'stfu you pussy'. I'm not one for reporting people to MS usually, but this idiot was asking for it. My last  message, before I blocked him/her was 'If you get sanctioned it was me who reported you'. A week later I got a message saying  from MS saying they'd taken action against the person I'd reported. I don't know what action they took, but hopefully it was a suspension and at least one griefer being forced to take time out and reflect on his/her behavior.

• Like 2

I have asked the same question before  for other games.  Amongst most of them the answers these I felt most honest.

1.  Boredom.  I got everything, done everything, still enjoy the game.  All I got left to do is keep others from doing what I have, cause I didn't find it challenging enough.  So I am doing them a favor so they can enjoy the game more. 

2.  I am playing the game as intended and you aren't.  The Devs designed so I can grief you, you don't like it leave.

3.  I like the sound of your whine.  

4.  I want to see how many players I can personally get to quit playing.

5.  You can't stop me.  If my griefing you was an issue, you would stop me.  It's really your fault, not mine.

6.  This is a PvP game and you are a PvE player, that means you ruin the game for me.

7.  This is my personal favorite and in response to me stating that I read an article about players' actions in a game is a response to how they are in real life.  So I quote, "Because I am a psycho bent on your destruction.  It's your fault I kill you in the game, I can't help myself."

IMHO, I think most griefers have had it done to them and see it as they have no choice.  If they want to continue playing games they like.  Unfortunately, it changes them and how they view games.  They eventually grief to avoid someone else to the punch.  You know the old shoot 1st and ask questions later.  There is no honor in playing PvP cause most players have no respect to their competitors.  They don't want to face off beat you in a fair fight, when they know they will lose more often then they can win.  They also usually put it on their targets as if it's their fault.

For example, The Division perfect example.  The DZ was The End Game, a PvEvP zone.  PvP players would avoid actually PvP battles and focus on PvE players.  Insults, swearing, the whole nine yards.  When the PvE players stated the best PvE in the game was in the DZ and they couldn't enjoy it, cause a PvE build was useless in PvP.  The PvP players continued with insults.  So PvE players started leaving the game in huge numbers.  Those who stayed had few options on how to enjoy the game.  So Ubi/Massive started adding things to keep them interested, but would do nothing to give them the exact same experience in a PvE DZ like zone.  In that regards, the stood by the PvP players allowing them to bully and pick on part of the playerbase.  They never did anything to support the PvE players in the DZ.  They just called them sheep, but constantly keep doing things to entice them to go to the DZ for rewards.   Now Ubisoft is allowing Massive to make a sequel for The Division and allowing the same YouTubers test it.  Then claim it will be a game for everyone.  They haven't changed a thing and when I left those forums, the same people was still arguing about PvP and PvE.  The PvP players don't want the PvE players to have a safe mode where they can enjoy the game.  Those same players need those PvE players so they can effectively play PvP in their minds.

So to me, I have seen and discussed with Griefers, that will intentionally complain about how bad PvP is, yet they will run from it, change servers just to find those who don't want it.  Then brag about how great they are at PvP.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

1.  Boredom.  I got everything, done everything, still enjoy the game.  All I got left to do is keep others from doing what I have, cause I didn't find it challenging enough.  So I am doing them a favor so they can enjoy the game more. 

Translation: I blew through the game so fast that I'm now bored and it's ruined for me, so I want to deprive others of any enjoyment so they're as dull and lifeless on the inside as I am.

58 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

2.  I am playing the game as intended and you aren't.  The Devs designed so I can grief you, you don't like it leave.

Translation:  Anything that isn't explicitly banned is permitted.  This is the same logic that allows sociopaths like myself to justify morally reprehensible actions with no fault or presumption of guilt.  Unless said person IS a member of the development team, he or she has no idea what their intent is, and are projecting to justify their own actions.

For almost 100 years, the United States allowed slavery because there was no law against it.  I suppose that made it okay, too (sarcasm).

1 hour ago, YodaMan 3D said:

3.  I like the sound of your whine.  

Translation: I'm an emotionless monster incapable of genuine feelings, so I have to feed off the extremes of others to have any sort of satisfaction.  There are a LOT of people like this in Corporate America who have nothing better to do than provoke people into a reaction.

4.  I want to see how many players I can personally get to quit playing.

Translation: I'm so incredibly myopic and short sighted that I didn't even consider the fact that if I get people to quit, there's fewer people to abuse, limiting my opportunity to do so.  I'm the sort of person who wins a year's supply of pizzas and eats them all in a week because I have no self control or awareness.

5.  You can't stop me.  If my griefing you was an issue, you would stop me.  It's really your fault, not mine.

Translation: Mommy and Daddy gave me everything I ever wanted in life.  Ethan Crouch is my role model.

6.  This is a PvP game and you are a PvE player, that means you ruin the game for me.

Translation: I'm a walking contradiction:  I have to ruin the game for others so that it isn't ruined for me.  Your own enjoyment of the game means nothing as long as I'm happy.  Rules for thee and not for me!

7.  This is my personal favorite and in response to me stating that I read an article about players' actions in a game is a response to how they are in real life.  So I quote, "Because I am a psycho bent on your destruction.  It's your fault I kill you in the game, I can't help myself."

Translation:  My parents and teachers gave me participation ribbons and trophies for everything in life, so I have never learned the value of hard work or self-improvement.  As a result, I claim to be emotionally damaged because I can't face the truth that my pain is caused by my own laziness and awareness of my own lack of self-worth as a human being.  The despondency is why I lash out at others, because I want to, (as the always eloquent Mike Tyson once said) " stomp on their testicles so you could feel my pain."

The Division perfect example.  The DZ was The End Game, a PvEvP zone.  PvP players would avoid actually PvP battles and focus on PvE players.  Insults, swearing, the whole nine yards.  When the PvE players stated the best PvE in the game was in the DZ and they couldn't enjoy it, cause a PvE build was useless in PvP.  The PvP players continued with insults.  So PvE players started leaving the game in huge numbers.  Those who stayed had few options on how to enjoy the game.  So Ubi/Massive started adding things to keep them interested, but would do nothing to give them the exact same experience in a PvE DZ like zone. 

Pretty accurate analysis of the PvP DZ.  I'd argue that playing PvE Survival gave you that same experience without the grief of the regular DZ.  Sure, mobs didn't respawn, so it wasn't quite as farmable, but essentially, it's similar enough.  It also provided (for me at least) the most fun version of the game.

They also made a critical change to the way the DZ functions to give PvE players an opportunity to avoid "kill squads".  Anyone that goes rogue is visible on both the minimap and large scale overlay, so it's simple enough to avoid them.  And if a player in your vicinity decides to go Rogue, the days of them simply bushwacking you from behind and unloading an entire mag into your back are gone.  They have to actively select it from their menu and there's a cooldown.  You get a notification that someone near you is going Rogue, and have time to prepare.

Griefers can't bait you into going Rogue by diving into your line of fire anymore to make you the aggressor.  Sure, coordinated groups can camp spawns, but anyone going into the DZ has the ability to fast travel to any number of other spawn points away from those clowns and farm different landmarks.  It's easy enough to avoid them with the smallest amount of planning and situational awareness--It's the DZ, and mobs will spawn right on top of you if you dither.

I'm in a different place on The Division, having only come into it about a year after it was released.  My perspective is VERY different from people who were hyped up by the E3 presentations and promises that never materialized on consoles--I came aboard right as the critical patches and content updates were being deployed that made it a MUCH different game (exotics, sets, incursions, Survival, the Underground, etc...).  If I was a launch player, I probably wouldn't have been as forgiving of the initial experience.

Looking more forward to the PvE online portions of TD2 more than I am RDO in it's current state, though, I can tell you that much.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Translation: I blew through the game so fast that I'm now bored and it's ruined for me, so I want to deprive others of any enjoyment so they're as dull and lifeless on the inside as I am.

Translation:  Anything that isn't explicitly banned is permitted.  This is the same logic that allows sociopaths like myself to justify morally reprehensible actions with no fault or presumption of guilt.  Unless said person IS a member of the development team, he or she has no idea what their intent is, and are projecting to justify their own actions.

For almost 100 years, the United States allowed slavery because there was no law against it.  I suppose that made it okay, too (sarcasm).

Translation: I'm an emotionless monster incapable of genuine feelings, so I have to feed off the extremes of others to have any sort of satisfaction.  There are a LOT of people like this in Corporate America who have nothing better to do than provoke people into a reaction.

Translation: I'm so incredibly myopic and short sighted that I didn't even consider the fact that if I get people to quit, there's fewer people to abuse, limiting my opportunity to do so.  I'm the sort of person who wins a year's supply of pizzas and eats them all in a week because I have no self control or awareness.

Translation: Mommy and Daddy gave me everything I ever wanted in life.  Ethan Crouch is my role model.

Translation: I'm a walking contradiction:  I have to ruin the game for others so that it isn't ruined for me.  Your own enjoyment of the game means nothing as long as I'm happy.  Rules for thee and not for me!

Translation:  My parents and teachers gave me participation ribbons and trophies for everything in life, so I have never learned the value of hard work or self-improvement.  As a result, I claim to be emotionally damaged because I can't face the truth that my pain is caused by my own laziness and awareness of my own lack of self-worth as a human being.  The despondency is why I lash out at others, because I want to, (as the always eloquent Mike Tyson once said) " stomp on their testicles so you could feel my pain."

Pretty accurate analysis of the PvP DZ.  I'd argue that playing PvE Survival gave you that same experience without the grief of the regular DZ.  Sure, mobs didn't respawn, so it wasn't quite as farmable, but essentially, it's similar enough.  It also provided (for me at least) the most fun version of the game.

They also made a critical change to the way the DZ functions to give PvE players an opportunity to avoid "kill squads".  Anyone that goes rogue is visible on both the minimap and large scale overlay, so it's simple enough to avoid them.  And if a player in your vicinity decides to go Rogue, the days of them simply bushwacking you from behind and unloading an entire mag into your back are gone.  They have to actively select it from their menu and there's a cooldown.  You get a notification that someone near you is going Rogue, and have time to prepare.

Griefers can't bait you into going Rogue by diving into your line of fire anymore to make you the aggressor.  Sure, coordinated groups can camp spawns, but anyone going into the DZ has the ability to fast travel to any number of other spawn points away from those clowns and farm different landmarks.  It's easy enough to avoid them with the smallest amount of planning and situational awareness--It's the DZ, and mobs will spawn right on top of you if you dither.

I'm in a different place on The Division, having only come into it about a year after it was released.  My perspective is VERY different from people who were hyped up by the E3 presentations and promises that never materialized on consoles--I came aboard right as the critical patches and content updates were being deployed that made it a MUCH different game (exotics, sets, incursions, Survival, the Underground, etc...).  If I was a launch player, I probably wouldn't have been as forgiving of the initial experience.

Looking more forward to the PvE online portions of TD2 more than I am RDO in it's current state, though, I can tell you that much.

Thanks for the translations.  

As for TD2, you got the exact idiots from Massive making it, being controlled by the same idiots from Ubisoft, who are asking for the same idiot YouTubers who screwed up the whole PvP situation.  Yeah, it will be a train wreck and don't see any reason to buy the game.  My son wants it and may convince me to buy it, but I don't see it being a better game in PvP or the DZ.  I don't see anything changing.  In fact had a friend who played the Alpha, supposedly he was told not to speak about it.  He stated improvements was made, but not enough to endorse the game but he believes that if you liked the 1st, you will like the 2nd.  Wouldn't tell me squat about it beyond that.

• Like 1

I might have done this a little bit when RDO went live. On opening night, I did want to check out how PVP worked. So I randomly picked someone in Rhodes and tried to kill them repeatedly several times. Nothing personal. Nor was I verbally taunting them in voice chat, or in messages.  We ended killing each other several times over. He had a buddy or two help him out. As well as some other random people got in on the action. This lasted maybe 10 minutes before both of us went our separate ways.

If there was some tangible reward, then I might want to do this more. But, there doesn't seem to be any. Plus you expend ammo, and consumables, in this pursuit. 

i mean in most aspects RDO is a PvP game lol, the campaign is for pve solo players but thats my opinion, as well as im against griefing against anyone who hasnt caused me any irritation i think most ppl do it out of boredom lol. i mean there are so many hours you can go killing deer and cougars and hunting fish, as well as so many free roam missions you can do before your about to die out of boredom haha

Edited by ALCHEMY

Adolescent sociopaths raised on instant gratification from pressing buttons on phones and controllers, participation awards, standing on their (anti) social media soap box crying foul about every knee jerked emotion. Parents that take the easy road and shut little Johnny/Suzie up by giving them a $800 phone at 13 years old, instead of the kid earning it through work. Hence now they have no sense of value. Parents don't discipline and find a doctor to label them with something that makes it ok for Johnny/Suzie to act like total animals and get away with it. ADD and all the other labels were around when we were cave men, except back then you had better get a grip on your shortcomings or someone else will smash you in the face. (I think we are all born with these labels, what matters is who cared enough about themselves to overcome and control them.) I call it no parenting through over parenting. We have been raising generations of victims that can't deal with anything once the weight of the world crushes them when they move out. If they move out. Many of these adolescents I speak of are approaching 30 years old. These are my thoughts of why players can't respect one another online.

Here's a quick test to see if your one of these adolescents; If you ever say out loud to yourself or others more than once a day "I'm bored". Think about it.

• Like 1

I personally don't mind being killed in all instances except when I'm standing around doing nothing. If I'm doing a mission, feel free to challenge me, it's fun. I don't mind a scuffle over kills and hunting spots. If I killed your friend or something, go for it. But if I haven't done anything to you or I'm just standing around, leave me be. I personally don't grief and only get violent IF PEOPLE CAN'T BE CIVIL ABOUT IT. After that, all hell breaks loose.

I had someone follow me to the butcher, didn't try to kill me, stood behind me, then when I was done kill me. And I'm like, but why tho? Or as soon as I log in I'm shot and even when I respawn and RUN away, they are still shooting at me. I was also sitting up in a barn second story minding my business looking at the catalogue and here comes someone up the ladder to shoot me. Good thing I was listening and reacted quickly. Like, why the hell you gotta be a douche like that?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, HooverRAD said:

OK, but why do you choose to do it? 

On 12/14/2018 at 3:02 PM, Kean_1 said:

I dunno.....  Why do you whine about it you little ******!!!!!  Go play the campaign if you can't handle it!!!!  It's a PvP game, what did you expect!!!!  I do it because it's fun!!!!!  .....blah, blah, blah.

....and you thought I was joking around?    ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Because I'm an outlaw.  Next time initiate or accept a feud round with the person shooting you and maybe earn some XP out of it.

The Last time I initiated a feud, I was 8-0 up, and the person quit out. 

• Like 1

I only do it when it is being done to me, like targeting the person who is doing it. Otherwise, I mind my own unless it is part of a scenario where we are fighting over something. Like two gangs going at each other. If you are just targeting people by themselves who are just fishing or hunting, for no reason... You must be really bored. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reyes said:

I only do it when it is being done to me, like targeting the person who is doing it. Otherwise, I mind my own unless it is part of a scenario where we are fighting over something. Like two gangs going at each other. If you are just targeting people by themselves who are just fishing or hunting, for no reason... You must be really bored. 

Exactly the same here... I never start it, but when things happen expect me to constantly harass you until you either leave the game or politely says sorry for disturbing my peace.
Normally they don't expect a reaction and I got a few whiny messages from those kids about me going overkill. "Dude I killed you once!" YEP, that was you telling me it's ok to kill you how many times I desire aswell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Heh, a guy shot at me as I tried to get out of Valentine tonight. I sped up my horse and made it out, then went around a curve and stopped and waited. He came running up so I killed him and waited for him to respawn and try again. He respawned and went the other way! LOL First time I've seen that.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Well in free roam there are players that are actually running around shooting each other.  Why shoot the player dealing with a merchant or a butcher?

If I had that answer, I'd write a book and become a bazillionaire

Well the reasons someone would grief are 1000's :

The main one will be : I get XP and enjoy pissing other people off and it is within the game's confounds.

I get really sick of people defending griefing with this is the wild west and I am an outlaw. If people actually behaved like that back then the USA would have 1/4th the population it has nowadays and would most likely be without any cities... Outlaws didn't run around just shooting people, they were in it for the money or property.

• Like 2