When to shoot first?

Voss

Question

Any acceptable protocol when it's ok to Shoot First?

Slow and Steady helps for some extra time to make  a decision, but the idiots running around lassoing people will negate SAS.

Here are my few situations where I shoot first now.

1. The double back: Someone passes me and turns to follow. I shoot first!

2. Someone is coming from behind and follows after I make a move off road. I shoot first!

3. Someone comes directly at me when I'm not on a road. This can be a bit tricky and normally use SAS and give this a slight pause to see if they go pass. If they slow up  or circle, I  Shoot First!

Any suggestions?

• Like 3

30 answers to this question

For me, it depends what I have to lose.  If my horse is full of skins and carcasses, I'm a lot more protective.  If I don't have any stuff to lose, I'm more prepared to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I'd rather be killed (when I have nothing to lose) and then unleash righteous fury on the murderer (repeatedly and with extreme prejudice) than shoot first and kill an innocent guy, maybe turning them into a griefer due to the negative experience.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You do essentially what I do.  If someone is tracking me, making a bee line for me when I'm off road, etc., I don;t hesitate to shoot first after making sure I don;t know them.  It also depends on where I'm at (e.g. in a town, on the road, at a mission point, etc.).  It most cases, it pretty apparent what their motives are IMO/IME.

I basically mind my own business unless someone is clearly coming at me to start something. I have been followed a few times and the player following me did nothing. They aren't always looking to kill but maybe just see what other players are up to. 

Dealt with this scenario today... my buddy was getting ammo in Blackwater and I was waiting outside. Some player bee lined at me with their lasso out. Took the shot. Then we left and he followed us a good 20 seconds, so I turned and took him out again. Then he spawned in front of us and engaged, so we took him out a third time. Finally he left us alone.

1. If I'm hunting and I just killed something, I'll shoot at or near you but not a headshot if they don't have guns drawn.  If guns are out, immediate deadly force.

2. Anyone clearly following me. I will shoot you and your horse immediately.

Basically I just generally avoid people. 90% of the time anyone comes up to me it's to kill me. So I usually have my gun drawn if I'm passing close by someone or go into town. My trigger finger is itchy, so you make any suspicious moves you're getting shot or blown the hell up immediately.

I had a situation last night where we had just cleared out a gang camp.  As we were finishing up, two players rode in.  I got on my horse and took a flanking position in case they tried something.  To my surprise, completely ignoring us, they started to try and loot the bodies.  I immediately thought.....the nerve of these guys.

A couple things.....

1. Riding up on me that fast (off the road) I would say justifies being shot 9 times out of 10.
  2. Trying to loot bodies in a gang hideout that they had no part of in my opinion is really asking for it.

Both actions break neighborly etiquette in my book and if I were alone or with some of my other friends and we hadn't already looted all the bodies, I / we would have killed them both.  I guess luckily for them the players I were with were quite a bit more passive in this respect so we simply left them to dig through what was essentially nothing.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

I had a situation last night where we had just cleared out a gang camp.  As we were finishing up, two players rode in.  I got on my horse and took a flanking position in case they tried something.  To my surprise, completely ignoring us, they started to try and loot the bodies.  I immediately thought.....the nerve of these guys.

A couple things.....

1. Riding up on me that fast (off the road) I would say justifies being shot 9 times out of 10.
  2. Trying to loot bodies in a gang hideout that they had no part of in my opinion is really asking for it.

Both actions break neighborly etiquette in my book and if I were alone or with some of my other friends and we hadn't already looted all the bodies, I / we would have killed them both.  I guess luckily for them the players I were with were quite a bit more passive in this respect so we simply left them to dig through what was essentially nothing.

That's why I always take out the leader first (as long as you get the leader you get the credit right?) And maybe loot half the bodies because I'm too lazy to go through some 15 or so bodies. I only do all of them if there's no one in the immediate or near area. Otherwise I keep my horse close in case I need to bolt.

Also, 3. Yes during a hideout I will kill you immediately. I've had those stolen from me too.

4. During a mission, instant deadly force if you come near or if I think you're positioning yourself to snipe.

Although while I rode with my posse yesterday, some other posse leader started following me as I was following my leader while he was auto running afk. That sent me into panic mode and I aimed at him. He didn't have his gun out tho. Fired a warning shot. He swerved away for a bit but kept following. Rest of the posse was coming up hot behind him now so if he tried anything he was gonna get blasted to all hell. But surprisingly he didn't do anything. Just tagged along for some reason. Although we started a wagon mission he still followed. Didn't like that, so I and others kept ourselves between him and the wagon just in case. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 2:51 AM, Harlock1796 said:

For me, it depends what I have to lose.  If my horse is full of skins and carcasses, I'm a lot more protective.  If I don't have any stuff to lose, I'm more prepared to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I'd rather be killed (when I have nothing to lose) and then unleash righteous fury on the murderer (repeatedly and with extreme prejudice) than shoot first and kill an innocent guy, maybe turning them into a griefer due to the negative experience.  

I'd have to agree with your comment the most. There is a limit to how 'righteous' you are with the 'shoot first' mentality and the potential to ruin an innocent players experience or to (like you said) turn a new player into a griefer is very high.

It's the biggest reason I have the "Never without one" perk as i don't shoot any player that rides towards me in free roam just in case they are only looking to make friends but if they try killing me with a head-shot (which most players by now know to always go for head-shots) I have that chance to not die and retaliate.

Edited by ItsTreesAndDen
Grammar
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 10:32 PM, Voss said:

Slow and Steady helps for some extra time to make  a decision, but the idiots running around lassoing people will negate SAS.

2. Someone is coming from behind and follows after I make a move off road. I shoot first!

3. Someone comes directly at me when I'm not on a road. This can be a bit tricky and normally use SAS and give this a slight pause to see if they go pass. If they slow up  or circle, I  Shoot First!

Any suggestions?

any kind of bee line. i got a high amount of griefers last night whilst hunting. its so obvious what their inttention is. i kill them then they leave. i always think whats the point. wasting my time when i have grinding to do. 

• Like 1

I rarely hunt or start Stranger Missions in RDO anymore so I usually have nothing to lose when interacting with other players therefore I never feel the need to shoot on sight.

I'll usually shoot in self defence if shot at but sometimes I don't even do that. I've stood unarmed waving at another player while they reloaded their Springfield Rifle to kill me after missing my head with their first shot, the RDO community are a bloodthirsty bunch but as soon as you start shooting back and they realise they're not going to get anymore easy kills they'll quickly run away, parley or leave the session. It's pathetic to be honest.

The only players that seem to carry on fighting and engage in player vs player combat are tryhards with Slow And Steady and/or Never Without One equipped, if I happen to see another player coming my way with one or both of these Ability Cards equipped I'll always be very cautious or give them a wide birth because players with those Cards are usually scumbags or griefers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archbell said:

The only players that seem to carry on fighting and engage in player vs player combat are tryhards with Slow And Steady and/or Never Without One equipped, if I happen to see another player coming my way with one or both of these Ability Cards equipped I'll always be very cautious or give them a wide birth because players with those Cards are usually scumbags or griefers.

I use the Never Without One but I wouldn't consider myself a scumbag or a griefer.  😥          ;)

I have actually been using it for self defense against them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kean_1 said:

I use the Never Without One but I wouldn't consider myself a scumbag or a griefer.  😥          ;)

I have actually been using it for self defense against them.

"players with those Cards are USUALLY scumbags or griefers."

I didn't say that all players who use those Cards are scumbags or griefers. It's just usually the case that players with those Cards lean that way, at least in my experience.

For me it's very similar to GTA Online, the vast majority of players who wore bulletproof helmets in GTA Online were tryhards so if I saw a player with a bulletproof helmet I would more often than not avoid them or kill them if they came towards me. The Never Without One Card is the RDO equilavent of a bulletproof helmet, I'm far less trustworthy of players with it equipped.

Never Without One Card or any card bothers me as explosive ammo will take them out with one shot.

I use Slow And Steady & I'm not a griefer if we see a single player on a mission that's being attacked we help them out.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Archbell said:

"players with those Cards are USUALLY scumbags or griefers."

I didn't say that all players who use those Cards are scumbags or griefers. It's just usually the case that players with those Cards lean that way, at least in my experience.

For me it's very similar to GTA Online, the vast majority of players who wore bulletproof helmets in GTA Online were tryhards so if I saw a player with a bulletproof helmet I would more often than not avoid them or kill them if they came towards me. The Never Without One Card is the RDO equilavent of a bulletproof helmet, I'm far less trustworthy of players with it equipped.

Yeah, I was really just busting your chops.  :)

....but since we're on the subject, IME there are a lot of folks who use these things as I do as defensive options which can include fighting back.  Just last night two of us had a pair of what I can only assume were griefers run straight at us (both on the same horse).  We tried changing direction and they changed with us so I made the decision to strike.  

Each of us split off, circled back and killed them along with the horse and then rode off in the opposite direction from where they respawned.  I checked the map and noticed they made a bee line for Valentine where it appears they were trying to troll others.

I was tired of taking one-shot hits to the noggin before I could reciprocate so I have been trying out the NWO card.  When I reach the appropriate level, I'll get explosive ammo too.  ......but again, as means of self protection.

• Confused 1

I will shoot first in the following scenarios:

- when off the beaten path, unknown player comes straight at me with speed

- on a path... unknown players comes at me with speed gun drawn and I've got pelts on my horse

- regardless of where I am, a red dot gets a headshot! 

- if I notice someone riding around town shooting up the place, I will shoot them if they venture over my way

- if I notice someone bullying another player, I will attempt to help. This has gotten me in trouble before as the bullied player now thinks I'm a threat, too! Ha! In that case, I won't come back to kill them if they get me first. 

On 1/12/2019 at 2:32 PM, Voss said:

Any suggestions?

I watch to see if they aim their gun. Otherwise our gang protocol is to pretty much never shoot first. 

I think the dynamics of this would be different / make more sense with free-aim lobbies. (You wouldn't be easily getting drive-byed by auto-aimers with shotguns). 

Our gang is generally friendly and I even allow randoms to kill me in cold blood if anything just to confirm they are a hostile that deserves to be hunted. 

I walk up to their loaded gun in my face with no fear and most of the time they don't have the sand to pull the trigger. If they do so dishonorably I will relentlessly hunt them until they run / parley / leave lobby or our leader calls us off of them. 

Do not act in fear. Act with purpose. 

I only shoot when I need to. So if I am getting shot at by someone, I will be shooting back. I very rarely shoot first. I can think of two times where I did. Once was when some dude kept getting in the way of me hunting, I warned him I would shoot him if he kept doing it. Another time was by accident. 

I never shoot first. Normally, I’d avoid any radar blips, but with the update, I’m ending up in other people’s business more often since their location is proximity based and I’m not always looking at my radar. So, if I practically trip over you, I’m just a bumbling cowboy, not a threat! 

Surprising me by Jumping out from behind a rock while I'm trying to get the fast travel post to trigger=dead. Guns aimed - how very rude=dead. Bee liners=dead. Turn round to follow me or any semi suspicious movement near me=dead. Riding like a **** and unnecessarily ramming into my hoss=dead. I used to be nice and all and I am still very reticent about shooting first but all player encounters need to be approached as if you are dealing with a crazed 13 yr old who just ate ALL the red smarties it seems.

The places I hang out no-one needs to be close enough to me to cause me any anxiety. Just keep moseying along pardner,  there's plenty of space without me in it to play in.

Edited by Traks1